XM radio subscription - be careful FYI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Team WD Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM radio subscription - be careful FYI

I bought a TL in May and in August we got a letter to renew XM.. We liked it so my wife sent in a payment. Well...the car got wrecked and is now gone. When we called XM to presumably transfer the extended service from one car to the next, they said it only applied to one car!

After getting a bit angry, my wife hung up and called the credit card company to stop the payment as XM said the payment had not gone through. But the extended service was already in effect...

Then she called XM back, got a different operator and got it handled. She cancelled the old service for us. And now we won't be charged.

So be careful. If you sign up and then sell the car...you could be in for a loss of $200-500 depending on the package you sign up for.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
You bring up a good point. XM service is a contract. Once you sign up you are liable for the payment whether you use the service or not. I guess the lesson here is to make as short a commitment as possible just in case. BTW, like your choice in rides. Mine is the same as yours.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
You bring up a good point. XM service is a contract. Once you sign up you are liable for the payment whether you use the service or not. I guess the lesson here is to make as short a commitment as possible just in case. BTW, like your choice in rides. Mine is the same as yours.
But I thought if you sign up for an extended contract, you can cancel at any time and get a full remainder for the unused portion.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by narnia
But I thought if you sign up for an extended contract, you can cancel at any time and get a full remainder for the unused portion.
I was specifically told that when I did the two year deal for my car.

Regards,
Old 08-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

I wish you could get Sirius satellite radio in the acura's. I think it is much btter
Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Team WD Photographer

We got lucky, but the way I look at it they should bea able to transfer it from car to car. I see no reason why it is only for one vehicle. I definitely won't do the 5 year deal...

I like XM, but really...enough with these ridiculous contracts.

Yep...nice car...The wife gets to drive it though...shoot, after the wreck I don't really want to drive it anyway...still a bit shell shocked.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Instructor

unless your other car is wired to recieve XM there would be no problem. if your car has a basic radion XM won't work.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by leeherman
I was specifically told that when I did the two year deal for my car.

Regards,
It sounds to me as if ifyphoto got some runaround, which is why I brought it up. Once a company gets your money or commitment, they are hesitant to give it back for any reason without a fight. I tend to read such contracts long and hard before signing them.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Team WD Photographer

My point was I got another identical TL...just like I had...and since the other one was gone, they should have transferred it. Yes a bit of the runaround...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The first operator didn't know what they were talking about. I transferred my service from my old car to my 3G TL with no problems. They did it by cancelling out one radio, then entering the new radio into the system. Took about three minutes. You shouldn't have gotten a runaround, and you did the right thing by simply getting another operator.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:58 AM
10th Gear

This should be a non-issue.. You can transfer your subscription to any radio you want (e.g. if your old one dies and you get a replacement)..

I would dismiss this as a fluke.. I've dealt with XM customer service a few time (once for an activation issue, and another for a billing snafu), and they were very gracious and gave me no hassle what so ever. In fact, my billing problem related to the 2nd receiver on the "family" plan not being at the discounted rate.. They immediately fixed the problem and issued a credit up to the first month of the new receiver..
Old 08-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Team WD Photographer

I just find it amazing how difficult it can be to get satisfactory results when you are being reasonable.

But it's handled...now on to the battle with State Farm
Old 08-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
As iyfphoto & neuronbob said above, operators would be a key factor.

I have a long term deal with XM, and if I cancel it, XM will return $$ after prorated calculation. I definitely will lose some incentive money or months XM has promised me while signing the long term contract. But, IMO, this should not be a big number.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:00 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
People! Never pay monthly charges by auto pay on credit card. Credit card company cannot cancel it, the vendor has to cancel it. I always get bill in mail for any of my monthly subscriptions and then pay by my credit card.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
not a contract.. can be cancelled and prorated refund for unused portion

you just got a dumb cust serv rep... untrained people sometimes... it happens :-\