Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?

I have a 3rd gen but I want a little better quality, I got a 12" infinity kappa sub and Hifonics app but wondering if it's worth upgrading my whole system to kappa's or just leaving the factory stuff in there? I'm also looking for new tweeters since the previous owner blew them out, any suggestions would be great!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Worth is up to you. I'm no audiophile and I think the stock system sounds great already.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Upgrading the speakers without also upgrading the amplification will be a marginal improvement
Old 02-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

I see alot of people on here saying how great the stock speakers sound but mine sounds like crap, i noticed it since i got the car, i have an 08 type s and it sounded horrible and just flat and as if someone is talking out of a can. I had an 02 type s before and that came w Bose and that one was awesome, i miss it more than anything else! I upgraded my center speaker w a pioneer and got a jbl component set for the front, and now debating on what to do for the rears and sub, probably kicker. Harman Kardan makes jbl and infinity and from what I read here is that they were the same but infinity have haraher highs. I didn't use the crossover that came w the speakers due to the door wiring issue so i ended up getting a capacitor for each tweeter and called it a day. It sounds much cleaner for me and i find myself fading to the front +3 to avoid hearing the flatness of the rear stocks. Only thing I'd suggest is that you won't really know until you try them so it might be best if you can buy them from a place that would return them easily just in case. I tried a couple of different brands that were 4ohm and the sound was low so the jbl and infinity are one of the few that are 2ohms so keep that in mind. Good luck
Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by mikezpc
I see alot of people on here saying how great the stock speakers sound but mine sounds like crap, i noticed it since i got the car, i have an 08 type s and it sounded horrible and just flat and as if someone is talking out of a can. I had an 02 type s before and that came w Bose and that one was awesome, i miss it more than anything else! I upgraded my center speaker w a pioneer and got a jbl component set for the front, and now debating on what to do for the rears and sub, probably kicker. Harman Kardan makes jbl and infinity and from what I read here is that they were the same but infinity have haraher highs. I didn't use the crossover that came w the speakers due to the door wiring issue so i ended up getting a capacitor for each tweeter and called it a day. It sounds much cleaner for me and i find myself fading to the front +3 to avoid hearing the flatness of the rear stocks. Only thing I'd suggest is that you won't really know until you try them so it might be best if you can buy them from a place that would return them easily just in case. I tried a couple of different brands that were 4ohm and the sound was low so the jbl and infinity are one of the few that are 2ohms so keep that in mind. Good luck
what jbl components did you get? i just received my jbl gto608c components but haven't hooked anything up yet. i'm going to run that and my infinity 1062w off a 3 channel JL amp.

just curious how your install went in the oem speaker location. and what door wiring issue did you have? i bought the oem adapter and will pull the speaker signal pre-stock amp and do all the wiring in the kick panel and run it to the crossovers under the passenger seat. should be no door wiring issues

Originally Posted by Jake_rangel17
I have a 3rd gen but I want a little better quality, I got a 12" infinity kappa sub and Hifonics app but wondering if it's worth upgrading my whole system to kappa's or just leaving the factory stuff in there? I'm also looking for new tweeters since the previous owner blew them out, any suggestions would be great!
i got the tweeters as part of my jbl component set but haven't installed them yet. i got the jbl ones cuz i heard that infinity tweeters are harsh in the high end

Last edited by sockr1; 02-08-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockr1
what jbl components did you get? i just received my jbl gto608c components but haven't hooked anything up yet. i'm going to run that and my infinity 1062w off a 3 channel JL amp.

just curious how your install went in the oem speaker location. and what door wiring issue did you have? i bought the oem adapter and will pull the speaker signal pre-stock amp and do all the wiring in the kick panel and run it to the crossovers under the passenger seat. should be no door wiring issues

i got the tweeters as part of my jbl component set but haven't installed them yet. i got the jbl ones cuz i heard that infinity tweeters are harsh in the high end
my install was pretty straight forward, I tried not use the factory basket, but even with the plastic mounting ring that came with the jbl, the door cutout was too small and the speaker wouldn't go in, so I improvised a little, I kept the factory basket, and put the jbl ring with some longer screws than the original acura ones and then I was able to mount the speakers to that. Hope the pics help show what I did. The connector wasn't the issue, but if i was going to put the crossover in the door, i wouldn't have been able to run wires to the tweeter from there, that's the door wiring issue I was talking about, unless you want to put a hole in the door or in the plastic connector, and then I read in some other threads that it's very hard getting to the wires if you do end up running them by drilling, that's why i left it out and just used a capacitor for the tweeters. The door panel closed a little tight, but it doesn't seem to be hitting the speaker, i might take it out and see if I can do anything, but i don't seem to be having any issues so i might leave it alone.
Honestly, being that the speakers are 2 ohms, they are loud as heck and I don't see a reason to amplify them, I thought about doing it, but when I installed them and drove around listening to all my different stuff for a few days, i can't even turn it up past 15, sometimes 20 when I wana crank it, but i think the 25 watts from the factory amp is plenty. Mine are slightly different than yours, and you can see the part number of mine in the pic GX600C I got from best buy around the holidays and they were normally 150 but on sale for like 80. I thought if I didn't like them, i can return them, but I ended up keeping them cuz it was decent improvement, still no where near the Bose in my 02 but it is what it is.
if you're planning on using a separate amp to power them, have you looked at the way the factory wires go into the doors using those connectors? that might change your mind on wanting to run new wires to the doors. Unless you guys know of a new way or something I missed on here or when inspecting the doors, I was actually doing that yesterday and i was a bit mad when i saw the door wire and connector and how acura designed running the wires from inside the car to the doors. They are definitely sealed though i'll give em that lol.
Let us know how it goes for you, hope my pictures and how I mounted the speakers will help. The tweeters are another story, I should have taken some pics, i'll try to do that tomorrow, I did have to get some PC connector wires, like the ones for the pc fans, and I soldered wires on there, that was fun! Tweeters made a huge difference though, I didn't have time to do them the same day as the speakers as they needed more planning and parts, but yeah big big difference, and fyi if you're gona use some bass blockers (capacitor) the actual measured impedance on the tweeters were 3 ohms not 2 ohms like the speaker. So you gota do your math based on 3 ohms not 4 or 2 to figure out which capacitors to get.

EDIT: just realized what you were gona do for the crossover, hmmm yeah not a bad idea, so i guess you will only need to run wires for the tweeters from the crossover inside the car, yeah I might not do that, but I really didn't want to mess with the factory wires at the amp, but that might be a good way to go. Do you plan on cutting the wires? I wonder if we can just remove the pins from the amp connectors input and output without cutting anything, maybe i'll take it apart next weekend and see what can be done
Attached Thumbnails Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-26-16.36.22.jpg   Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-26-18.56.45.jpg   Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-26-18.57.09.jpg   Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-26-18.59.48.jpg   Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-27-14.30.47.jpg  

Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-2014-12-27-14.25.01.jpg  

Last edited by mikezpc; 02-09-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

^^ thanks for the pics, i see what you did there with the factory basket. do you remember what type of screws (pitch, size, length) you got to fit in the OEM housing? I need to pick some up to do something similar.

yea, for the crossovers i was going to put them under the passenger seat and grab the speaker signals in the kickpanel and not even touch the door wires (other than plugging into the oem connector with an adapter). then i'll just drop the tweeters in the oem spot and run that wire to the crossovers under the seat.

i'm planning on cutting the stock wires and just putting spade terminals on them, maybe solder them if i can borrow someone's garage with a power source (all the mods i do in my apartment parking spot haha). i came across some threads that used an adapter to "repin" everything but didn't think it was worth the $30-$50. maybe it will be if it doesn't go so well haha

i added a sub so i had to get an amp and came across a great deal on a JL 3 channel, so i figured i should add some power to the speakers and get better speakers while i'm at it
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockr1
^^ thanks for the pics, i see what you did there with the factory basket. do you remember what type of screws (pitch, size, length) you got to fit in the OEM housing? I need to pick some up to do something similar.

yea, for the crossovers i was going to put them under the passenger seat and grab the speaker signals in the kickpanel and not even touch the door wires (other than plugging into the oem connector with an adapter). then i'll just drop the tweeters in the oem spot and run that wire to the crossovers under the seat.

i'm planning on cutting the stock wires and just putting spade terminals on them, maybe solder them if i can borrow someone's garage with a power source (all the mods i do in my apartment parking spot haha). i came across some threads that used an adapter to "repin" everything but didn't think it was worth the $30-$50. maybe it will be if it doesn't go so well haha

i added a sub so i had to get an amp and came across a great deal on a JL 3 channel, so i figured i should add some power to the speakers and get better speakers while i'm at it
Here you go, hope it works cuz I'm on my phone, took a pic on my way out this morning. Only thing is i wish i found them in a philips head instead of flat head, other than that they did the job and didn't have to modify anything
Attached Thumbnails Worth upgrading to infinity kappa's?-imag0021.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mikezpc
Here you go, hope it works cuz I'm on my phone, took a pic on my way out this morning. Only thing is i wish i found them in a philips head instead of flat head, other than that they did the job and didn't have to modify anything
thanks for the picture! that definitely helps me since i don't have to search for the right screws. i'll let you know how my install goes