Working on a new sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working on a new sound system

alright so i replaced my rear speakers with alpine s speakers ( 80 watts RMS). i still got the stock front speakers, n sub. i was wondering if the stock amp powered the front speakers or the rear n sub? i plan on changing the 8" sub and getting a JL sub or Rockford Fosgate P1S48 subs, once i get that i plan to get a another amp but more powerful to power both rear speakers n sub. i like listening to metal rap rock, basically almost anything. i like hearing the bass hit good too. i was wondering wat would b a good amp to get to power a 150 watt sub and and 80 watts RMS ( 250 watts peak? ). i don't wanna get a amp that is going 2 over power the speakers n have them blown, but some amp that i can use to the speakers n sub full potential

Next there is the front speakers . im not going to lie but the stock front speakers r pretty good but i want the sound 2 b more clear n clean if you no what i mean. idek wat size the front speakers r or the center one. if someone can recommend a nice clean sound for the front speaker ( tweeters also ) n center , that would b great. once again i plan to power the front with the stock amp. if i have to though to get a nice sound then i will.

Thanks

p.s. i hav no budget cause i save mostly
Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
10th Gear

Hmm, I would look at the Alpine digital amps. Just take the sub out and leave the space open for your new sub. And distortion blows speakers, not overpowering them. As for speakers, you'll have to do your own research. I'd look into JL, Boston Accoustics, Focal, Diamond, and the super hi end polks etc. All have different sounds, etc. And also IMO put a coax in the front doors, the tweeters on the dash are trash.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i would take out the stock sub and leave it empty.

for the rear speakers, you can get 3way 6 1/2's (i think thats the size).
for the fronts you can get component speakers.

I would highly recommend doing your research before buying a set of components. Dont cheap out and get the quality stuff, which in return will give you quality sound.

if possible, get a 4 channel amp to power the aftermarket speakers. and a mono amp for the sub.
good luck!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Here is the following information on TL audio system:
Center Dash Speaker = 3-1/2", 4-ohm, 15W RMS
Dash Tweeters = 1-1/2" (approx), 4-ohm, 15W RMS
Front Door Woofers = 6-1/2", 2-ohm, 20W RMS
Rear Deck Speakers = 6-1/2", 2-ohm, 20W RMS
Rear Deck Subwoofer = 8", 2-ohm, 40W RMS

NOTE: When buying AMPs or Speakers, don't look at their "peaks". Base them on the RMS
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to bust in, but i just want to make all the stock speakers louder and the sub, i would like to buy a 1k watt amp, can it power all my speakers and not blow them?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dhong87
i would take out the stock sub and leave it empty.

for the rear speakers, you can get 3way 6 1/2's (i think thats the size).
for the fronts you can get component speakers.

I would highly recommend doing your research before buying a set of components. Dont cheap out and get the quality stuff, which in return will give you quality sound.

if possible, get a 4 channel amp to power the aftermarket speakers. and a mono amp for the sub.
good luck!
i lik this idea n yea i no i dnt lik buyin crappy things either. so ill take the sub out put a amp there then im thinking ill buy a single sub n put it in a box in the truck then get a mono amp for that. wat do u think
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLinWC
Hmm, I would look at the Alpine digital amps. Just take the sub out and leave the space open for your new sub. And distortion blows speakers, not overpowering them. As for speakers, you'll have to do your own research. I'd look into JL, Boston Accoustics, Focal, Diamond, and the super hi end polks etc. All have different sounds, etc. And also IMO put a coax in the front doors, the tweeters on the dash are trash.
The most common way of "blowing" a speaker is by sending more current through the voice coil than what it is designed to handle, causing it to overheat and fail. This is done by either:
1. Having an amp that is too powerful for the speaker rating. I.e. sending 1000W to a speaker rated for 50W.
2. Having an amp that is not powerful enough. I.e. you have a 10W amp on 50W speakers, but you crank it to a point where it is "clipping" (what you refer to as distortion), essentially sending a square wave to the speaker, resulting in too much current in the voice coil.

You can also blow a speaker by causing it to exceed its mechanical limits, again by sending it too much power.

Are you going to automatically blow speakers if you use a 200w amp to power 50w speakers? No, but only if you are very careful with the gains and the volume knob, and you know what you are doing.

To the OP: a sub in the trunk on a mono amp is a great start. When you wire the amp, go ahead and run enough wiring for any future expansion - oversize the power wire, use distro blocks for power and ground, and go ahead and run speaker wire while you already have interior panels out running everything else. It'll save you a lot of time later.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much watts does the oem tl amp have?