William's 2004 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
William's 2004 TL

The stereo install on my 2004 Acura TL is finally finished. I've added a 160GB hard-drive based MP3 player, TV Tuner, 10 disc DVD changer, rearview camera, and digital speedo. Here's the photos...

You can view the photos here:
http://discoball.com/acuratl/

You can download all the photos here:
http://discoball.com/acuratl.zip
Old 12-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Instructor

William's 2004 TL stereo system

The stereo install on my 2004 Acura TL is finally finished. I've added a 160GB hard-drive based MP3 player, TV Tuner, 10 disc DVD changer, rearview camera, and digital speedo. Here's the photos...

Old 12-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I'm guessing you will soon be worshipped on here...

Nice job!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. When can we all come in for alterations?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:41 AM
Retired MOD

Re: William's 2004 TL stereo system

Originally posted by weeeg
Looks awesome. Was it that easy to add TV and AV input to the navi screen.....Cost??? Are you able to listen to your DVD changer in sourround sound 5.1? for the movies.

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah everything he asked Do all the mp3 controllers (if thats what they are) control the music playing in the car or do they control their music seperately using headphones or something.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice! Mind proving some "words" on the equipment, cost, and procedures used for installing the gear?
Old 12-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Instructor

This thread is worthless without at least 30 more paragraphs of info.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Racer

NIIIIIIIICE, Howd U do it? and how much?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Banned

Very nice work
Old 12-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
(Bows in total, abject worship of these mods )

Very nice. We all want details, as noted above.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Banned

Re: William's 2004 TL stereo system

Originally posted by weeeg

Some specs of the MP3 player would be great. Where you get it, how much?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: William's 2004 TL stereo system

Originally posted by Bitium
Looks awesome. Was it that easy to add TV and AV input to the navi screen.....Cost??? Are you able to listen to your DVD changer in sourround sound 5.1? for the movies.

Thanks,

Adding the TV and AV input was simply a matter of purchasing a TV tuner from the following company: (the price is listed on their website)
http://www.avelectronic.com/

The 10 disc DVD changer only has composite video output and analog stereo audio output, so I cannot listen to movies in 5.1 surround sound.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acur8ly
Yeah everything he asked Do all the mp3 controllers (if thats what they are) control the music playing in the car or do they control their music seperately using headphones or something.
There are three display/controllers for the MP3 player: one in the front ashtray, one in the rear ashtray, and one in the trunk. The trunk one is the actual hard drive unit, but it was too deep to mount in the dash. The two "remote displays" in the ashtray areas are less than an inch thick and perfectly mirror the display/control of the trunk mounted unit. All three display the exact same data at all times, and any of them can control the MP3 player. There is only one "audio zone" (for lack of a better term), so there are no headphones or anything for the back seat. The backseat passengers must listen to the same thing as the front seat passengers. I purchased the MP3 player from:
http://densionusa.com/
Old 12-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by RavenHwk
Very nice! Mind proving some "words" on the equipment, cost, and procedures used for installing the gear?

My previous two posts list the websites where you can purchase the equipment and find out the costs.

As far as procedures, I really don't know. I had it installed at the following car stereo shop:
Sounds Good Stereo
6405 Independence Ave
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818) 999-4523

I do know that it was NOT done using an FM modulator. They tried using the SoundGate Aux-In adapter (made for the 2003 Accord), but you end up losing your XM Radio when you plug in the SoundGate adapter. They ended up hard-wiring an aux-in input using relays and a toggle switch.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Instructor

The Necvox DVD changer does play home-burned DVD movies on DVD-R, but it is a little picky about the brand you use. I tried the following four brands:

Accu -- doesn't work
Matrix -- doesn't work
OptoDisc -- works fine
Ritek -- works fine
Old 12-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. Enjoy the new setup.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Banned

The stereo stuff is OK. Mp3 sound is poor compared to CD or DVD. The digital speedo is hideous! You either work for the stereo store or never heard the story about the fool and his money!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:04 PM
10th Gear

nice setup!
Old 12-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice set up. Who should I talk to at Sounds Good Stereo? Also how far are they from San Diego? Oh vtechbrain why do you have to be a hater.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:35 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Donte99TL
Oh vtechbrain why do you have to be a hater.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:51 AM
Banned

Take it or leave it, Just my 2 cts.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:22 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by vtechbrain
The stereo stuff is OK. Mp3 sound is poor compared to CD or DVD. The digital speedo is hideous! You either work for the stereo store or never heard the story about the fool and his money!!!!!!
Gimme a break vtechbrain....

While I may agree about not diggin' the digital speedo, I don't see the need for being such a stiff prick about expressing your opinion.

MP3 may not have the sonic quality advantages of (say) a DVD-A, it does, however, provide a means of massive storage. For some, that single advantage outweights its audiophile shortcomings.

Kudos to the guys at Sounds Good Stereo for a sano install, and giving the rest of us some food for thought.

weeeg -- Cool mods mahn! Thanks for sharing your project with the group. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from your new system.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Rum Runner

Very sweet install. Thanks for letting us know that it isn't too difficult to install a TV tuner using the NAV screen.

Pardon my stupidity with the dumb questions, but...

Do you have some sort of A/B switch for the TV/DVD player?

Does the NAV still work?

How much was the total?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW, the amp for the ELS is located in the pass side kick panel.

XM reciever is located in trunk, pass side above rear wheel.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Racer

How much?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:51 AM
4dr & I like it that way

if you PROPERLY ENCODE your mp3's they will be virtually identical in sound quality to a CD. most 128kbit mp3's sound like radio quality. most any song will be fine with 192kbit encoding to have it sound just as good as a cd. you can go all the way up to 384kbit i believe if you really want, but thats overkill. mp3pro does an even better job...
Old 12-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Weeg.

Great mods - I'd love to see it in person. (I work in Woodland Hills; can I buy you lunch sometime.. <G>)

Anyway, question on the rear-view monitor.
I'm interested in getting one of these (just think they're cool) and was wondering how it works - does it come on automatically when you put the car in reverse, or do you have to press a button?

Thanks again.

-=Nick=-
Old 12-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gen3TLfan
Gimme a break vtechbrain....

While I may agree about not diggin' the digital speedo, I don't see the need for being such a stiff prick about expressing your opinion.

MP3 may not have the sonic quality advantages of (say) a DVD-A, it does, however, provide a means of massive storage. For some, that single advantage outweights its audiophile shortcomings.

Kudos to the guys at Sounds Good Stereo for a sano install, and giving the rest of us some food for thought.

weeeg -- Cool mods mahn! Thanks for sharing your project with the group. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment from your new system.
I would just love for some one to explain to me the need to have 16 CD's, plus Xm radio, plus 500 Mp3's, plus a tape deck, plus a TV. Call me square but the notion is plainly ridiculous. It's like the arms race. Why have enough nukes to burn the world seven times over. Is it only me or are we trying to make the illogical logical??????? I'm a long time music/audio aficionado and as far as I know most music pieces take from 4 to ten minutes to listen to. This Franken stereo thing can store enough music for 5 straight life times!!!!! In my book thats pretty stupid!!!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:
Old 12-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I would just love for some one to explain to me the need to have 16 CD's, plus Xm radio, plus 500 Mp3's, plus a tape deck, plus a TV. Call me square but the notion is plainly ridiculous. It's like the arms race. Why have enough nukes to burn the world seven times over. Is it only me or are we trying to make the illogical logical??????? I'm a long time music/audio aficionado and as far as I know most music pieces take from 4 to ten minutes to listen to. This Franken stereo thing can store enough music for 5 straight life times!!!!! In my book thats pretty stupid!!!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Buying a $35K automobile is logical?

If you were logical you would be at the Toyota Prius forum, but you're not so live a little

I think that this install is awesome and hope to do some of it myself. Why????? BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Banned

I have some rusty rings somebody may want to pierce their scrotum with because they can too!!!!! It doesn't make it very smart!!!!! Comparing a prius to a TL is like comparing a scooter to a 10 speed bike. The TL has some definite creature, power, safety and performance advantages the prius doesn't have.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
This is the good refit for 04TL. It's time for shops to re-equip customers' vehicles. Incredibe job.

I was ever so crazy about this kind of eye-catching stuff in the car while living in LA. I definitely would put it on if I'm still young enough to handle that system.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Troublemaker

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Advanced

I was reading thru this forum looking for information on the TL, which might be my next car.
I wasn't sure if I was going to register here or not, until I saw your post.
Just because YOU have no need for large amounts of music means we all shouldn't?
Can you please lay out your laws on how we should live our lives so we can properly make you happy, Adolf?

I have a 40 gig iPod that I use in my car, it holds my entire collection of music so I can hear the exact song that I want to hear, you under that? You see, I don't have to look thru CDs or go into the house and try to figure out what I want to listen to in the car later that day. Instead I have my music library there with me.

Is that at all understandable?

Just because I have 6 lifetimes worth of music with me doesn't mean I am going to play it all, it means I have the choice to play WHAT I WANT, instead of being able to choose thru a few CDs that might not be what I want to hear at the time.

I would just love for some one to explain to me the need to have
Now is that a good enough explaination?
You asked for one and I believe I answered you properly, but I bet you still come back with more BS.

Are you done calling him stupid?
The only thing stupid in this thread is you likening his car stereo to the Arms Race

Mp3 sound is poor compared to CD
Apparently you aren't an audiophile, or else you would know that a good MP3 rip and CD Audio are just about impossible to distinguish on a stock car stereo.

You either work for the stereo store or never heard the story about the fool and his money!!!!!!
No, actually I am pretty sure the end results are a car that he loves with options that make his life better and easier.

Don't you find it odd that everyone else here understands why he did it and finds it to be a nice instal? Are you always the freak of the group?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have to agree with vtechbrain on the digital speedo and mp3. why do you need 2 speedometers? mp3's are nice but do you really need to carry you're entire cd collection with you at all times? how long do you spend in your car a day? i already ordered the tv tuner from avelectronics.com and plan on putting a ps2 in there along with a few monitors, but mp3's are worthless to me. i guess to each his own
Old 12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Racer

Overall, I think the install is awesome and I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. The only part I wouldn't do is the TV in the front display. I hope you don't watch it while driving :-)

Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by adam209
i have to agree with vtechbrain on the digital speedo and mp3. why do you need 2 speedometers? mp3's are nice but do you really need to carry you're entire cd collection with you at all times? how long do you spend in your car a day? i already ordered the tv tuner from avelectronics.com and plan on putting a ps2 in there along with a few monitors, but mp3's are worthless to me. i guess to each his own

nice dude:smokin: that's the setup i'm lookin for too w/ the tv tuner, multiple tv screens, rearview camera and ps2.

that install looks pretty sick how's the reception on those tv tuners though? how many channels do you get? do you just pick up "hickvision" or you can't pay for cable can you? anyways, happy listening!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Dr. TLS

Vtecbrain, normally I would let it go but due to the kick-ass-ness of this mod, I shall have to proceed and flame (attack/slander) you. Nevermind, I'll just ask you to go crap in another thread. Nice work William!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I know you don't expect a response, but here's one anyway:

I don't work for the stereo store.

Yes, MP3 sound is not as good as CD or DVD, but it is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than cassette or AM or FM or XM.

Story about fool and his money: I have no kids or family, so I would be a total fool to die without spending most all of my money first.

I'm not liking having to focus so close to read the digital speedo, so I'm going to be re-doing that with a heads-up type system. Stay tuned for part two...
Old 12-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Donte99TL
Nice set up. Who should I talk to at Sounds Good Stereo? Also how far are they from San Diego? Oh vtechbrain why do you have to be a hater.

Just talk to anyone there. Ask about the 2004 Acura TL that they recently did.

It's probably a 2+ hour drive from San Diego.

Quick Reply: William's 2004 TL