Where to install DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to install DVD player?

I just bought a car dvd player to hook up with my NAV2TV converter, but I feel like a dumbass cuz I thought it would fit where the storage tray is above the cigarette lighter tray. Where is everyone else installing there DVD players? I have seen them installed into the rear cup holder and the glove box, but I dont want it in either of those locations.... just looking for ideas where to install it, give me your
Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
+1

I'm also interested in seeing this...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
I used to have my dvd player screwed in with L brackets behind the trunk pass-through so it was hidden in sight, but easily accessable. a 1/2 din dvd player can be made to fit with some serious cutting to that cubby hole, but its intensive and 1 wrong cut could mess up the whole thing.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Who said it won't fit?

Love where I put it. Matches with my dash and looks OEM. Great access to it and best of all disappears behind the door when I park and stays discreet. Couldn't ask for more!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/rockyfellers-dash-myron-davis-dvd-doms-unit-p-i-e-x3-wendys-camera-install-622410/
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Thats exactly what I needed to see. Thanks for sharing. That is a fantastic install. Precisely the solution I am looking for.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM
King of NYC

I never thought I could tackle this by myself but I carefully researched, planned and prepared for it. You will be surprised to see what you can do if you are determined. After that install I felt like Superman and I could do anything. Just installed Tein coilovers last month. Yep you start small and work yourself up to bigger mods. Next thing you know you are doing stuff you never imagined. Crazy considering this is not my line of work, I have a medical degree. All my friends are like ???wow!!! YOU can do it!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-23-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Drifting

That's great to hear! This is exactly what AZine is for
Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Who said it won't fit?

Love where I put it. Matches with my dash and looks OEM. Great access to it and best of all disappears behind the door when I park and stays discreet. Couldn't ask for more!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622410
I guess it will fit but I will need to fab new brackets to keep it in place. How did you keep the tray door? did you cut the inside off and just keep the door? I think I will probably just remove the tray and install in its place. I will post pics once complete!! Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM
King of NYC

Yeah it would be easy to squish it in there and take the door off. If you wanted to do that you would save yourself about 3 hrs. of work.

I wanted to do things the hard way. It was tricky trying to retain an operational door. A huge portion of that cubby was dremelled off just leaving key integral parts of the hinge and spring mechanism. You can't mess with that area and you have to leave enough clearance for proper movement. The top was taken off easily and the sides were cut just enough to fit the DVD player. The floor was kept intact. The DVD player was positioned perfectly and actually zip-tied to the floor with multiple ties. (sounds stupid but it is VERY secure this way. It doesn't shake at all and can easily be cut to take it out if needed.)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
q74
3rd Gear

Great Stuff

i just brought 2005tl and this site is perfect for resource ,Dvd is eactly what i needed , i want to keep my car looking as stock as possible
Old 09-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by q74
i just brought 2005tl and this site is perfect for resource ,Dvd is eactly what i needed , i want to keep my car looking as stock as possible
Congrats on your purchase! Good luck with your mods. post some pics in the Photograph Gallery.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 AM
6th Gear

Hey Lil easy do you like that dvd player? I was think of getting one as well,but does it play burned DVD-R dvd's? Any problems with it playing due to the HVAC you mentioned?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced

I ended up installing right where where rockyfeller did... but I did NOT keep the door... I removed the tray and made a sheet metal caseing around the dvd player and screwed it into the stock mounting hardware. It fits PERFECT and looks fairly decent, I just wish I had gone with the same DVD player you did, mine was just a cheap one that I thought I was going to hide somewhere that noone would see but now that it is visible I am thinking about upgrading already (plus it is grey and all the other components are black). I should have taken install pictures but I didnt, I will take final pictures and post them up soon. Rockyfeller do you have any disturbance on your nav screen when playing dvds? It has wavy lines that go up and down the monitior, they are not big but they are noticable, I am thinking I may have bent a wire too much or it is getting some interference from something else in the car.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Drifting

If I couldn't keep the door I wouldn't want to do it. You can't have anything nice nowadays without someone wanting to steal it. I have a $2200 stereo upgrade, complete with component speakers that is 100% stealth unless you open the trunk.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by Lileasy123
I ended up installing right where where rockyfeller did... but I did NOT keep the door... I removed the tray and made a sheet metal caseing around the dvd player and screwed it into the stock mounting hardware. It fits PERFECT and looks fairly decent, I just wish I had gone with the same DVD player you did, mine was just a cheap one that I thought I was going to hide somewhere that noone would see but now that it is visible I am thinking about upgrading already (plus it is grey and all the other components are black). I should have taken install pictures but I didnt, I will take final pictures and post them up soon. Rockyfeller do you have any disturbance on your nav screen when playing dvds? It has wavy lines that go up and down the monitior, they are not big but they are noticable, I am thinking I may have bent a wire too much or it is getting some interference from something else in the car.
Sometimes rarely I get some minor interference. I used a interconnect cable that was thick and highly shielded. This is very important because with all the freakin wires all in your car presents a big challenge. The automotive environment creates the greatest problem, more than anywhere, to combat collateral interference. You have to make sure wherever your interconnect runs that you don't also run power wires, particularly those carrying high power. It is a good idea to run them independently of all the others. That's what I did. The 4 GA. power wires going from my 1000W amp in the trunk goes to my battery via the driver's side, side channels (near the sills.) I have run all necessary power wires together through there as a matter of fact. I ran my interconnect through the center tunnel away from the others. You can also get interference because of a less than perfect ground. You can get a drone through the speakers mimicking the RPMs from your engine. You can cure that with a ground-loop isolator.

Even after doing all this I sometimes get some very minor interference but not much to complain about, comes with the territory.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-30-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trew
If I couldn't keep the door I wouldn't want to do it. You can't have anything nice nowadays without someone wanting to steal it. I have a $2200 stereo upgrade, complete with component speakers that is 100% stealth unless you open the trunk.
you say $2200... whats your address and which window would you prefer I break when I steal you system? JK I know what your saying, people suck these days but I live in a pretty good area and I think that stock red blinking light might help me out a bit. Whenever I park in a bad side of town I place a shirt near my shifter to cover it up. I could care less if they steal the DVD player but I just dont want my window and dash broken...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
King of NYC

Stealth is my middle name. My car is so incognito even though it has so many mods. You can't tell my upgraded system unless you look in the trunk either the only giveaway is the B-pillar tweeters. I even have headrest covers for my headrest LCDs!! My car is always garaged so no worries but I HATE parking it certain places. I spend a lot of $$ in parking garages in NYC.....that's no relief because EVERYTIME the attendants play with my equipment. I tell them to just take care of it and not kill the battery. It's better than parking on the street and getting keyed and having the system jacked. I have to find a way to kill the system/amps for valets. I used to be able to just pull the fuse but not with the 150A ANL one I have now......

The price of modding never ends!!!!!!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-01-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stealth is my middle name. My car is so incognito even though it has so many mods. You can't tell my upgraded system unless you look in the trunk either the only giveaway is the B-pillar tweeters. I even have headrest covers for my headrest LCDs!! My car is always garaged so no worries but I HATE parking it certain places. I spend a lot of $$ in parking garages in NYC.....that's no relief because EVERYTIME the attendants play with my equipment. I tell them to just take care of it and not kill the battery. It's better than parking on the street and getting keyed and having the system jacked.

The price of modding!!!!!!

haha pure pimp; rofl NYC garages are terrible, i borrowed one of my dad's car because i had to pick up my boss and drive him to the city and then back to the airport (didn't feel too mature driving around the TL in front of him lol
); we're walking back to the parking garage and you see the punk attendent sitting in the car doors open blasting music;..... sigh
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
8th Gear

Rockyfeller your system looks crazy i want to put a dvd in my tl 2 but i don't know how the hell to start!! Or what converter to buy so many different styles but i want whats quality you know. I'm also thinking of buy the 2008 side mirrors with the turn signals for my 06 what you think?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
King of NYC

Start by deciding what you want out of your system. Check out other people's threads and get the best of all worlds. Sorta what I did. Here's what I have on my car:

Four Infinity 63.7I speakers upgraded
Two additional B-pillar tweeters
Two 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect subwoofers
dual Q-logic bandpass box
1000 watt Rockford Fosgate bd1000 mono amp with bass remote control
1.5 farad capacitor
4 Gauge wiring and Dynamat throughout
Dom's Nav2go unit
Wendy's backup camera
DCC's custom VSA/DVD switch
Myron & Davis AD212 DVD player
PIE X3 Audio interface
Pyle video signal amplifier,
Two 7" widescreen Pyle PLVHR72 headrest LCD monitors

I know all that sounds like a lot but really I haven't spent as much as you'd think. Mainly because I did all the work myself....just like every other mod on my car! I spent far less than some people who have worse sounding systems. The only thing I probably have left is changing the front center channel and tweeters but I don't think it will do much of a difference.

I would have done the mirrors a long time ago but my car is anthracite which isn't a 2007 color so I would have to paint them. So it would not be a cheap mod. I'd figure I need $600 for this mod and it just isn't worth it for 6 hrs. of labor and a pair of LED strips. I'll keep my mirrors till I strike a good deal. If you can swing it, go for it!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-07-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
8th Gear

Hey rockyfella did you have to cut the factory hole where the subwoofers and speakers where? And how did you put the amps in your car?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who said it won't fit?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622410
yeah that is an amazing install job. looks very good. mine is in the glovebox... which is ok but it can be a little difficult to access while driving. but i gots long arms heh.

but i would definitely do this but i don't have the time nor do i trust myself to even do that to my car.
what dvd player do you use? here is mine

Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
Crazy considering this is not my line of work, I have a medical degree.
R u an M.D. ?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mine installed under my passengers seat. I went to install mine in the stack also but it was too big and with the limited storage space in the car already (glovebox sucks) I wanted to maintain the center stack space. I went with under the passenger seat and I am happy with it I can reach back there to insert and remove DVD's, everything else I can do with the dvd remote, I installed the remote "eye" through the lower dash panel, out of sight.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by Papitochulo41
Hey rockyfella did you have to cut the factory hole where the subwoofers and speakers where? And how did you put the amps in your car?
No I left my rear deck where my speakers are all as-is. My stock sub is there. Some people want to upgrade that but because my subs absolutely blow them away I am least bit concerned about the stock sub, If anything it helps filling in a lil mid-bass. And then my 6 1/2" speakers are replaced by the Infinity Kappas. From the outside everything looks stock of course.

As for the trunk I would have LOVED to do a totally trick custom install where the speakers and amps are in built in enclosures and everything is flush, carpeted and lit up with LEDs. The 3 reasons I decided against this are 1) Cost. This would extend my budget by at least $1000 in installation costs. 2) My trunk would be rendered useless, I couldn't actually carry anything in it anymore 3) While it looks really really good I have yet to see an install in a sedan that is truly built well and sounds good. They make them to look great cosmetically but don't take into account the required volumes and specs required for the subs. Call me old fashioned IMO nothing beats a good ol sub in a box. Now if you have a HUGE SUV you have plenty of room to work with and you can have one of those built-in enclosures, make it look good and sound good.

So what did I do? Easy. The same thing I did with in my old Bimmer. I took some 3/4 plywood, cut it to the size of the back of the backseat against the trunk. Cut a hole in it for the ski-pass through hole of course. This is because I normally keep my pass through open to allow the bass to fill the cabin unless I have a 5th passenger. I covered it with matching automotive carpet. To this I mounted my amp and capacitor. This was then screwed up against the back seat with all the 4GA wires running behind it. So everything is out of sight and clean. I have my subs in the Q-Logic bandpass. Now while the huge box takes up 2/3rds of the volume in my trunk I still have SOME usable space. Anytime I need the trunk, like for a run to the airport, I can easily unplug and remove the box and leave it in the garage. There u go, a usable trunk! I have a blue LED strip that lights up whenever my amp turns on that is behind the plexiglass that show off the magnets of my subs at night that are visible through my ski-pass through. Goes with my blue underdash/underseat LED strips. NICE! Everything looks clean and professional.

Originally Posted by Skrewologist
what dvd player do you use? here is mine
Thanks for the compliment. Everyone who sees it thinks it is a professional install because it is so clean and the door on the console works like stock. You have a nice looking player. It looks 1/2 DIN and lights up blue. Mine is the Myron & Davis AD212 as mentioned above. A number of us on the forum have used it. I was a bit scared to buy it frankly because there were a bunch of people who have complained about it and the last thing I would want to do in the future is have to reverse this mod if anything were to happen. So far so good knock on wood.

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
I have mine installed under my passengers seat. I went to install mine in the stack also but it was too big and with the limited storage space in the car already (glovebox sucks) I wanted to maintain the center stack space. I went with under the passenger seat and I am happy with it I can reach back there to insert and remove DVD's, everything else I can do with the dvd remote, I installed the remote "eye" through the lower dash panel, out of sight.
I was going to install it into the rear armrest because that is an easy access area and easier install. I decided against it because it seemed more of a intuitive idea to have it in the dash. I knew it looked nearly impossible and quite a task but you know what? I live for a challenge! I always try the harder route, lol. I too thought I would miss the storage space but honestly looking back I don't miss it 1%.

Originally Posted by TSXinity
R u an M.D. ?
Yessir!!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
clean install rocky..i like it.

Originally Posted by TSXinity
R u an M.D. ?
Yessir!!
ahh..no wonder you got money to burn

btw i like the indian flags on the license plate frame haha
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by playa4real
clean install rocky..i like it.

ahh..no wonder you got money to burn

btw i like the indian flags on the license plate frame haha
where do you see the flags? BTW, another desi representing here
Old 10-16-2008, 10:55 PM
King of NYC

He's looking at my DVD thread where I have a pic of my backup camera. Yeah I used to have them on my license plate frames. I actually custom made them with a smoked out film on it to match my smoked out theme lol. All my friends made fun of me and said I was a gay fob....I said Thank You!!! LOL. They came off after a few car washes.

This car is my #1 hobby. You won't see me sittin around watching TV all day bored. If I have a free minute I am on the car. 2 yrs. worth of my free time. I wish I had more free time I would have gotten more done faster.

I am OK with money, lucky and blessed I guess....but I definitely don't have money to burn!! Once my business really takes off and I am done with residency and get my MBA.....hmmmm then maybe!!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-16-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
where do you see the flags? BTW, another desi representing here
ahh i didnt know...nice, glad to know we are in full force on a-zine

I am OK with money, lucky and blessed I guess....but I definitely don't have money to burn!! Once my business really takes off and I am done with residency and get my MBA.....hmmmm then maybe!!
Yeah I hear you. I'm in the same boat, engineering just isn't cutting it nowadays, but after the MBA we should both be set (although you may have 1 more 0 at the end of your paycheck )
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Where can i buy a Nav to tv converter And dvd player?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
King of NYC

DVD player can be found by a google search or on ebay

Nav video converter is here:

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/index.html

or check the groupbuy section, Dom runs specials from time to time.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
10th Gear

I just had the navtool and a dvd player installed in my 2005 Acura Rl. Circuit City will do the install for $108.00. That was the best deal I could find and their work is guaranteed. I highly recommend Circuit City for the install. Works great!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM
King of NYC

Wow really? That is a good install price! I heard a lot of people getting good deals on installs at CC. The only problem is they are not going to install something they don't sell. (Many times you can save and make the difference by buying online) and they are not going to install something they are not familiar with. Navtool costs $350. How much was CC selling it for? Where did they install the DVD player?

I would tend to say that they are a bunch of inexperienced kids who are not good at installs but the fact that they warranty the work backs it up so I guess it is worth it.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-23-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

Not true.... They install even if you buy from another store. I had no issues taking them the navtool and dvd I had bought elsewhere. They state this on their website.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
10th Gear

I bought the navtool and dvd player online. I installed on the trunk tray behind the armrest in the back seat. Perfect fit. Navtool was $200 on ebay.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
King of NYC

It's hard to believe to be honest. $100 is 1.5 hrs for most installers but if you got it done, you got it done. Where was the DVD player installed? Put some pics up, a few people are asking me where to get this done. CC would be the best place because that price is unbeatable for sure! I can't imagine anyone charging less than $400 to install it because it is so time consuming.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
10th Gear

I will take some pics and put them up this week. I was quoted $350 before I went to circuit city. So I was as shocked as you to get the install for that price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categ...+20016705&null
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 PM
10th Gear

Not sure how to upload pics to this site....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
King of NYC

Simply amazing! Armed with a printout of that you could go to CC and get good crazy prices on any install. Great info! Lifetime warranty....Nice. I recommend you spread the word and post it to the forum, you'll be helping a lot of people out.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

hey wats the point of another dvd player dont the tl already come with one

Quick Reply: Where to install DVD player?