Well, I had an interesting call today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I had an interesting call today!

I had problems with my HFL. Lots of problems.

Note: I am currently using a Sony Ericsson T610 with my HFL.

Here's some of the HFL problems that pop into my mind. Also, all these problems are random:

1) Terrible voice recognition. Maybe somewhere around 20% success rate, compared to 95% or better on the Navi recognition.

2) Calls get "dropped" back to the cell phone. The MID still shows "IN USE", and the phone icon is still there on the center display, which makes me think that Bluetooth wasn't dropped. However, the phone says that Bluetooth disconnected, and "Would I like to resume the call from the handset?" If I select "Yes", I can continue my call from the cell phone. BTW, my voice was still being transmitted from the HFL during the Bluetooth "drop", but I didn't hear anything over the TL's sound system.

3) When I turn my car on in the morning, the MID shows the cell phone's battery level and signal strength meter. That doesn't sound like a problem, does it? Oh ... did I forget to mention that I didn't do anything at all to actually start up the HFL system? That's right - all I did was turn on the car with my Bluetooth phone turned on. This problem has weird effects - The MID just shows the battery level and signal strength, but no text between them. Normally, the MID will put text between the icons to state the current mode of the HFL system ("IN USE", "CALLING", "PHONE BOOK", "SECURITY", etc.). Also, my car's audio system is playing through the speakers, when all other HFL modes mute the car's audio. The only way I've cleared this problem is to hit the "HFL Command" button, followed by the "HFL Cancel" button.

4) When I add a name to the HFL Phone Book, the name gets repeated to me without any noticable problem. However, I now hear pops and drop-outs when playing back the same names in the Phone Book "LIST" feature. This problem may be affecting my voice recognition that I mentioned in problem (1) above.

5) The HFL system has locked-up my entire audio on me once.

6) HFL call "Transfer" seems to drop back to the cell phone when someone answers the call.

7) Distorted / clipped "received call" audio being played over the TL's audio system.

OK, enough for now. Back to the main topic.

My Acura dealer hooked me up to the Acura HFL support desk. After describing my problems to the HFL help desk, they told me that there was definitely a problem with my system. Then, the support desk told me that they would try to get me to talk with an HFL design Engineer. Yeah, right.

YEAH ... RIGHT!

Today, I got a phone call from the company that designs and builds the HFL system for Acura (I was very surprised ... I didn't think that the engineering company involved was into this type of product. I first thought that the call was an HR dude that wanted to interview me for a job! ).

We talked quite a bit, and I was able to provide a lot of details around the problems that I saw. They said that the problems that I saw were some that they weren't familiar with. Some of the problems were known issues. Anyways, they are going to mark my HFL module in Acura's repair system to try and get my HFL module for analysis. I promised to help them out anyway I can ... hopefully this may bring out problems and improve everyone's HFL systems.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Wow. No responses! Nobody believes me ...
Old 06-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you. I am using the T608

I have had problem 2 and 6 that you listed above.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Racer

Cool stuff Jazz....keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:03 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Got Jazz - Item #6 is suppose to work that way so that's no issue. Where did you expect it to transfer too (other than the handset itself)? I do not use the audible notification for incoming calls but rather do use the typical "ring" function. #4 does not happen that way for my phone (mine is a Seimens S56). I have experienced #2 but none of the others.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Got Jazz - Item #6 is suppose to work that way so that's no issue. Where did you expect it to transfer too (other than the handset itself)? I do not use the audible notification for incoming calls but rather do use the typical "ring" function. #4 does not happen that way for my phone (mine is a Seimens S56). I have experienced #2 but none of the others.
On #6, I would expect the "TRANSFER" to stay with the 04TL. Maybe I was unclear, so I'll restate the problem:

(1) I don't have a phone number stored in the HFL system (but it is stored in the phone), so I grab my phone and call my contact using my phone.

(2) Once the phone starts ringing, I press the HFL command button and say "Transfer".

(3) If the stars are in proper alignment, the call will then transfer to the 04TL audio system.

(4) I hear the other person's phone ringing on the 04TL audio system.

(5) Here's where the feces hits the rotating air movement device: The called party answers their phone and then the call reverts back to the cell phone. I would have expected the call to "stick" with the 04TL HFL audio system unless I initiated an audible HFL "Transfer" command again.

Clearerer?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Drifting

1 and 6 sound like firmware issues but I may be wrong. I would recommend doing a handset exchange with T-Mobile first to see if that works because for the most part, you will get newer hardware in the phone, then do a firmware upgrade and behold, your problems will disappear.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:17 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by mobilezen
1 and 6 sound like firmware issues but I may be wrong. I would recommend doing a handset exchange with T-Mobile first to see if that works because for the most part, you will get newer hardware in the phone, then do a firmware upgrade and behold, your problems will disappear.
Done that! My phone's only 1 month old, and I upgraded my firmware to the latest about 10 days ago.

The results: No difference in HFL quality seen.

The HFL engineers said that there's definitely a problem with my HFL module. I'm having a really tough time getting the HFL module replaced, though - The engineers say that my HFL module's bad, but the dealership can't replace it unless they see the problem. Unfortunately, they thought that all of the problems that I was seeing are "normal", or couldn't be reproduced the day that the car was in the shop.

Sigh ...
Old 06-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Racer

I also have the T610 SE by T-Mobile.

got jazz, I havent' paid too much attention to your other problems, but I have definitely had the #3. Not really a problem since I can hit the cancel button and back to normal operations, but it is some what annoying.

I also had a problem once where I can call someone, but nothing would come through. I checked the phone and it showed that I was connected. I took the phone in to T-Mobile and they ended up taking the battery out and re-inserting it after few minutes to 'reset' the phone. No problem since the, but a strange fix.

Keep me posted on the #3 to see if there is a fix to this annoying bit. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

An update:

I had a new problem show up a couple of days ago. The HFL got stuck in an "Incoming Call" mode, where it totally locked-up the entire sound system. Nothing I did (turn off Bluetooth, turn off car, hit HFL Cancel button, etc.) would clear the problem. I couldn't get any audio out of my sound system (no radio, no DVD), since the HFL overrides almost everything in the car audio.

I was able to take it to the dealership in this "locked-up" mode so that they saw this problem. They agreed that there is a HFL problem, and will now replace my HFL module.

Once the dealership saw the problem, I had the car's battery disconnected. This cleared the lock-up, and the audio system is working again. The HFL is working too, just as poorly as ever ...

I should be getting a new HFL module in the next couple of days. I'll let you know if things improve at all.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO. I'm using T610, too.

1. Voice recognition could be related to HFL instead of T610. Most of time the way you talk to mic and the tone/accent you speak may enlarge/narrow the problems.

2. I got once, and it forced me to shut off my Cell in order to restore the system back.

3. This happens on me a few times weekly.

4. I got this problem a few times since Oct.

5. Once. I shut off my cell and my engine.

6. The same as Voice recoginition. Try more, and find the pattern your HFL likes...

7. None...

It's terrible to get those issues all happening on your car day by day continually. Let us know how the new module works. If not, you may need to have your cell upgraded or replaced.

:o
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

#3 happens to me when i start the car and the phone gets no signal...
Old 07-20-2004, 04:17 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the T610 with t-mobile. And i have the exact same problem every now and then. I start the car and it goes directly to HFL in the MID. And the only way out is to press the command button and then the cancel button. I dont know if the phone or not, but gets kinda annoying although doesnt take long to fix the problem. If someone actually know what cause that to happen, i'll be glad to know. Also when the HFL automatically comes on the MID, even if i try and change it back to regular display which displays the miles and outside temperature or oil level, it goes back to HFL by itself, like its possessed or something.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:21 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i seriously need to to take care of my grammar and english lol.... i guess i got a bit excited to see my problem is not only mine, lol
Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

GotJazz --

Any update? I have the exact same issues you describe (though my system has never locked up) w/ a T616 w/ the latest FW.