Vented/Sealed/JL W7/Memphis Audio..HELP!!!! Gosh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 05:34 PM
Ethernaut05

Vented/Sealed/JL W7/Memphis Audio..HELP!!!! Gosh!

Ok..07' TL-S and its a given..im' puttin in a sub system...goto my local audio store where the 18yr old at the counter puts up an estimate for me to throw a vented box with a 10" Memphis Audio M3 with a Memphis 500w amp together for me for a crazy price and three hrs labor at more then most pharmacists make an hour! Soooo I can't do anything on my car by my self...never tried. but think i'd like to try putting in my own sub??? I always kinda thought that JL was a superior product?? I was thinking the JL 10" W7 and noticed JL has its own enclosures?? they're big. I don't want my whole trunk swallowed..gotta be able to put the 2gallon Costco Ketchups in there! I can really use some guidance.

Go with the Memphis and let them do it all? or order the JL stuff and do it myself? or go with a custom enclosure from GigAudio on here or something? any help is GREATLY freaking appreciated..like a shopping list or something..thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2010 | 06:10 PM
Pro

Save yourself alot of money and do it yourself
Old 03-06-2010 | 06:31 PM
A Black TL

It may be alittle to complicated for u, if ur not going with wiring, and electronics. You may lose ur hfl, bluetooth, nd some control might not work.
Old 03-06-2010 | 06:50 PM
Ethernaut05

TL/GTX what do you mean if "i'm not going with wiring" I rely heavily every day on my HFL/Bluetooth connections.... Expand on what your talking about? They were even talking about putting a ipod connection for me in that would be compatible with my steering controls and on screen!?
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:07 PM
Advanced

look bro what u wanna do is get your own amp your own subs and your own amp kit from ebay crutchfield or craigslist trust me then go back to them i bet u pay no more than 200 and thats just for them to install the wiring and for them to buy u a "line out converter" or u can get one yourself and what the L.O.C is...it somewhat replaces or adds to your rear speakers with your subs because u dont have r.c.a cables in the back of your unit...{red and white cord} but yeah thats what i did and i didnt lose anything at all still got my hfl and i got a red tl-s 07 like you....i have rockford fosgate p2 12 inch and 1800w kenwood amp
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcUrAfIeNd32
look bro what u wanna do is get your own amp your own subs and your own amp kit from ebay crutchfield or craigslist trust me then go back to them i bet u pay no more than 200 and thats just for them to install the wiring and for them to buy u a "line out converter" or u can get one yourself and what the L.O.C is...it somewhat replaces or adds to your rear speakers with your subs because u dont have r.c.a cables in the back of your unit...{red and white cord} but yeah thats what i did and i didnt lose anything at all still got my hfl and i got a red tl-s 07 like you....i have rockford fosgate p2 12 inch and 1800w kenwood amp
That has to be the longest run on sentence I have ever read.

There are a lot of DIY threads on the internet on how to install a complete system. Search the internet, and see if you are comfortable doing it. Also, search around locally to see if there is a person that will do it as a side job for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-06-2010 | 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Get the Memphis Amp, the JL sub and the enclosure from GigHarbor.

There are lots of DYIs here that should be helpful. I could go into detail but could turn into a very long post.

If done properly you will retain all functions.

Good Luck

Post some pictures when you're done
Old 03-06-2010 | 10:57 PM
Instructor

I believe if your just adding a sub you will only need a hi to low converter and hook that up to your stock sub and control the bass from your stock radio, you will also maintain all your functions. Im not a 100% sure on that. Anybody wanna chime in...
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:20 AM
Ethernaut05

Thanks everyone..>King of Pain..so you'd go ahead then and order the amp from Memphis? I already am talking to Travis at GigAudio and will try to get the ball rolling on a custom enclosure...I definately LOVE the JL product..but I don't know what to go for...the W7 is the GoldStandard I guess..i'm looking at a single 10". (want to keep trunk space) So do you think the W7 is worth it? or look at one of the other ones? and...is a single 500W Memphis Audio amp just the thing for that sub? I see pics of people with 1000+W amps!! And I wasn't aware of a Line Out Connector...but guess i'll need one. I was also thinking of the iSimple iPod line from GigAudio..anyone have that??? Thanks
Old 03-07-2010 | 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes, you will need an LOC to convert the high level speaker outputs to RCAs for the amp. 500 watts is optimum for this sub. Since you mentioned that you like JL stuff you can also use the JL 500/1 amp, perfect amp for this sub. Depending on your musical tastes and unless you like lots of bass a 10 should be enough.
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ethernaut05
Ok..07' TL-S and its a given..im' puttin in a sub system...goto my local audio store where the 18yr old at the counter puts up an estimate for me to throw a vented box with a 10" Memphis Audio M3 with a Memphis 500w amp together for me for a crazy price and three hrs labor at more then most pharmacists make an hour! Soooo I can't do anything on my car by my self...never tried. but think i'd like to try putting in my own sub??? I always kinda thought that JL was a superior product?? I was thinking the JL 10" W7 and noticed JL has its own enclosures?? they're big. I don't want my whole trunk swallowed..gotta be able to put the 2gallon Costco Ketchups in there! I can really use some guidance.

Go with the Memphis and let them do it all? or order the JL stuff and do it myself? or go with a custom enclosure from GigAudio on here or something? any help is GREATLY freaking appreciated..like a shopping list or something..thanks!!!
Save some $$$ and do it yourself.

Death to toasters has a DIY on how to run a power wire to the trunk and how to hook up audio connections.
You will need power cable
Amplifier
Speaker
Speaker wire
Subwoofer and Box
Line Out Converter

Tap the factory sub signal in the trunk and hook it up to a Line out Converter (LOC). Then connect the LOC to the amplifier input jacks using some speaker wire. Then connect the output jacks to the subwoofer using the speaker wire. Then hook up the power wire to the amplifier and your done.

Not that hard, it's just finding the right subwoofer/box combo. Amplifiers are generally close to the same, the only differences are Wattage at a given resistance, heat handling and high/low level inputs. (for basic amplifiers, high ends ones differ greatly from one another)
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:47 PM
A Black TL

Originally Posted by Ethernaut05
TL/GTX what do you mean if "i'm not going with wiring" I rely heavily every day on my HFL/Bluetooth connections.... Expand on what your talking about? They were even talking about putting a ipod connection for me in that would be compatible with my steering controls and on screen!?
I meant if ur not good with wiring. But u can get alot of info on here to diy.