V710 report with pix

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004 | 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

V710 report with pix

I was originally going to wait for the V710. However, the hype got a hold of me. Just bought it today at 10:30 and have been playing with it since. Nice to have vacation time to do this with! The V710 works well with the TL's HFL system and is easy to set up with the owner's manual in front of you. I didn't have any contacts to transfer to the TL, so I simply programmed those directly into the car's computer. Here's what you see when the operation is complete:

You see only a power indicator, but no bars or battery strength in the MID.

On the center console, you see a small phone indicating a connected phone.

When I tried calling using an unlisted number (it will have to do until wife gets home from school, when I can try it using her cell phone ), all I got was this--not even a "private number", which appeared on the phone itself.

The sound quality is awesome--totally clear whether to another Verizon phone or to the POTS network. It's so easy to call someone by using the name in the TL's HFL system as well.

Some people have commented that it's a huge phone. I don't think so, coming from a Moto StarTAC. Here's what the phone looks like compared to the StarTAC:

Front

Back

Side

Closed

Bluetooth screen

Bluetooth really does seem crippled as the only profile active is Handsfree (sorry it's blurred)

Hope this helps someone!
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I also bought an iGo car adapter to charge the V710 in the car. As you can see, the blue ring nicely complements the blue lights of the TL.
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:05 PM
Advanced

Thanks, Neuronbob.

One quick question...

Now that you have programmed in some numbers, if you receive a call from someone at one of those numbers, will their phone number appear on the HID, or will it be their name?

Thanks!
Andy W.
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:06 PM
Racer

Outstanding you moderator, you!

It should be an easy firmware upgrade to fix this, I hope!
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:18 PM
Intermediate

What a Guy!

You are one incredible source, Neuronbob. I so appreciate your report because I have an 05 TL ordered, and I am researching my phone options. Please keep the reports coming as you discover pros and cons relative to the Verizon offering. Kudos to you and much thanks.
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Andy, I modified my original message to reflect the answer to your question, with another picture. :'( Answer is not positive... My home phone number (unlisted) is programmed in the TL, and it definitely didn't pop up when I used that number to call the cell phone.

Hopefully, firmware will fix this!
Old 07-30-2004 | 05:57 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Andy, I modified my original message to reflect the answer to your question, with another picture. :'( Answer is not positive... My home phone number (unlisted) is programmed in the TL, and it definitely didn't pop up when I used that number to call the cell phone.

Hopefully, firmware will fix this!

If a number is unlisted, no caller ID will ever be able to recognize it and identify the caller... numbers of people calling me pop up, but not their names despite the fact that I do have them programmed into the TL
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:19 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Thanks for the info. I have been unsuccessful in getting my hands on a working phone. I was able to hold/look at a demo version - i.e. fake screens and no activation - at a VZW store. BUt they haven't released the phone and won't sell or even show a working phone. My calls to a few Radio Shacks got me no where. I suppose a few more days won't hurt.

Points given.
Old 07-30-2004 | 07:28 PM
Pro

Neuron just a quick ? How much did the phone run you if you dont mind me asking. Or did you get a deal to reup for another year or so. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2004 | 08:20 PM
Instructor

Also Neuron, I'm not familiar with the 'IGO' power adapter,,,,what does it give you?
Old 07-30-2004 | 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
If a number is unlisted, no caller ID will ever be able to recognize it and identify the caller... numbers of people calling me pop up, but not their names despite the fact that I do have them programmed into the TL
I concur. I called my V710 with my wife's cell phone and her number appeared in the MID under "Incoming call", but not her name despite her being programmed into the TL. (Whew! You have your final answer, Andy! If number listed, then it appears, if not, then no.)

rescueswimmer, I paid $319.99 for the phone at Radio Shack because I renewed my VZW service for two years. I am also eligible for the $70 mail-in rebate.

moreonn, I called VZW service today about a different issue and when I told the rep I had a V710, she told me that VZW employees couldn't get them until 8/11. That is, presumably, when VZW stores receive them.

nukeman, the iGo is a car adapter that you can use with almost any phone on the market today if you buy an appropriate tip (separately). That way, if you switch phones, you only have to buy a new tip, not a new adapter.
Old 07-30-2004 | 09:25 PM
Advanced

I concur. I called my V710 with my wife's cell phone and her number appeared in the MID under "Incoming call", but not her name despite her being programmed into the TL. (Whew! You have your final answer, Andy! If number listed, then it appears, if not, then no.)
Wow, that's too bad. That seems like a silly limitation in the TL, and certainly something that can't be fixed with a firmware update to the phone. But maybe a software update to the TL? I think I'll be putting in a call to client services once I have my phone. Oh well.

And thanks again, Neuronbob.
Andy
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:20 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by neuronbob:

"moreonn, I called VZW service today about a different issue and when I told the rep I had a V710, she told me that VZW employees couldn't get them until 8/11. That is, presumably, when VZW stores receive them."

Did they say when Verizon would be offering the phone to customers? I was told the end of August by a sales rep.
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Sorry - I just re-read your post - 8/11- is when they may be in the stores. Thanks.

Originally Posted by architect55
Originally Posted by neuronbob:

"moreonn, I called VZW service today about a different issue and when I told the rep I had a V710, she told me that VZW employees couldn't get them until 8/11. That is, presumably, when VZW stores receive them."

Did they say when Verizon would be offering the phone to customers? I was told the end of August by a sales rep.
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:35 PM
Advanced

neuronbob,

can you check your GET IT NOW and tell me if its complete?? are you missing a pic next to get tones? Also not sure now much you know about phone, but do you think the battery and signal can be fixed with a software or firmware update?
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:55 AM

I was able to pick one up at a Radio Shack in San Diego this evening. But I must be a complete idiot, as I could not get it to pair with the TL. Granted, I didn't really spend much time reading the 710 manual (saw the setting>bluetooth>handsfree>...) and I don't have the TL manual with me, but it should have been easier. I might have screwed things up when trying to start the BT in the TL. It said Booting Up then I think I may have canceled something. Anyone have any ideas on this?

BTW. The store had only two phones, and I got one. Don't know if they have the other one, but it was the store on Robinson and University.
Old 07-31-2004 | 02:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moeronn
I was able to pick one up at a Radio Shack in San Diego this evening. But I must be a complete idiot, as I could not get it to pair with the TL. Granted, I didn't really spend much time reading the 710 manual (saw the setting>bluetooth>handsfree>...) and I don't have the TL manual with me, but it should have been easier. I might have screwed things up when trying to start the BT in the TL. It said Booting Up then I think I may have canceled something. Anyone have any ideas on this?

BTW. The store had only two phones, and I got one. Don't know if they have the other one, but it was the store on Robinson and University.
Once you tell the TL to look for the phone, you have to go to one of the options in the phone (I think its under setup or another option in the bluetooth section) and tell the phone to look for devices. It will find the HandsFreeLink TM thing n then say next and enter the passcode. Your done.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Scuba629: I'm missing the picture next to "get tones" as well. Maybe it something that can be fixed once VZW stores get the phones.

When I called to set mine up the CSR told me that I must have stolen the phone, because they are not supposed to be out until mid-August. When I told her that RS was getting them early, she said that she was on her way to get one as soon as she got off work.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:06 AM
Advanced

Thanks

Neuronbob,

Thank you for the great first information and the photo's. I always loved my startac and thought the size was just right so I am happy to see that the v710 is comparable sizewise.

I checked with my local RS stores, seems that the busy stores, bigger complex stores each received TWO units initially. One store hadn't opened bix yet othe store had one sold and one they were using as demo.

It appears that as a Vzon customer with one year completed om a two year contract I am not going to be eligible for the new phone discount if the guy who answered is correct. Used ot be that as long as you accepted a new two year contract you could get a new phone, this policy seems to have changed. Don't know whether rebate still is a go but paying a full retail price is not something I would be happy about no matter how nice the phone is. The cameraand so forth means nothing to me, only the BT ability to pair with my TL is important.

Guess I will wait until the Verizon store gets them in and then see what the cost will be or what kind of deal I can get. In meantime I look forward to the advanced adopters reports on the phone and the TL operation with it.

Again, thanks for the quick report and the great photo's. The best info on the web anywhere right here so far.

George in NY
Old 07-31-2004 | 11:07 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by Andyw2100
Thanks, Neuronbob.

One quick question...

Now that you have programmed in some numbers, if you receive a call from someone at one of those numbers, will their phone number appear on the HID, or will it be their name?

Thanks!
Andy W.
Sorry, Andy - nothing that gets programmed into the V710 will make it into the 04TL HFL system. The system isn't that advanced, though furture HFL car systems will probably eventually get this feature.

This means that none of the V710's phonebook stuff makes it to the TL. All you will ever see on the MID is a phone number from a recognized caller ID. It also means that you will have to reenter up to 50 of your favorite phone numbers into the 04TL's HFL phonebook, even if they are in the V710.

Sorry for the bad news ...
Old 07-31-2004 | 11:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Sorry, Andy - nothing that gets programmed into the V710 will make it into the 04TL HFL system. The system isn't that advanced, though furture HFL car systems will probably eventually get this feature.
So are you saying that even a firmware upgrade to the v710 won't allow the passing of signal and battery strength? If so, this doesn't make sense, as we know the HFL system --can-- display that info from other phones, meaning that in the case of the v710, it must be the phone that is doing something wrong in not transmitting that information. It would seem that a firmware fix --should-- be able to correct this. Am I missing something?

This means that none of the V710's phonebook stuff makes it to the TL. All you will ever see on the MID is a phone number from a recognized caller ID. It also means that you will have to reenter up to 50 of your favorite phone numbers into the 04TL's HFL phonebook, even if they are in the V710.

Sorry for the bad news ...
I knew that no phonebook info from the v710's directory would transfer to the HFL...that is a somewhat understandable limitation of the HFL, what with different phonebook formats, etc. But the ability for the HFL to match an incoming number with one of the 50 directory entries it can store, and then display the name if it finds a match, instead of the number, seems like it would have been a trivially easy thing to design. I actually have no idea if this "improvement" could be programmed into the 04 TL or not, so will certainly defer to others on this.

Thanks.
Andy W.
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:04 PM
Racer

I think GotJazz was referring to phonebook names that you have entered into your phone not being able to be sent over to the MID, not the battery level and signal strength which I think should just be considered part of the normal standard data that can be communicated from any BT HFL enabled phone and understood by the BT system in the TL. The battery level and signal strength stuff sounds like a glitch in the v710 firmware that can and will hopefully be addressed by a future firmware update to the phone. The only question is, how long will it take to have motorola come out with a fix? I wonder how high of a priority this would be for them? I imagine, not very high on their list of things to do.

Probably the best thing to do at this point is for v710 owners to start hounding verizon and motorola (possibly even Acura, but that would seem to be asking the wrong end of the horse) complaining about it and asking for a fix. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease in cases like this.
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ryder1650
Once you tell the TL to look for the phone, you have to go to one of the options in the phone (I think its under setup or another option in the bluetooth section) and tell the phone to look for devices. It will find the HandsFreeLink TM thing n then say next and enter the passcode. Your done.
I did this, but may have screwed things up. I started the BT on the TL and it said Booting Up. I was messing with the phone during that, but hadn't read the v710 instructions yet. Then I might have canceled something on the TL. Once I read the v710 instructions (settings>connection>bluetooth link>handsfree>yes?) it tried again, but it would not pair. I even tried the Find Me on the 710 and that didn't work either. Don't know if I canceled something in the TL setup that could have messed up the BT link. Kind of tough to do this while away from home on business/vacation with no TL manual and having to valet the TL. It can wait until tonight or tomorrow, I suppose. Just glad the RS down here had a v710 for me
Old 07-31-2004 | 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moeronn
I did this, but may have screwed things up.
IMPORTANT: You must press and release the HandsFreeLink™ Talk button on the steering wheel and wait for the “beep” before you speak. This step is required before all spoken commands.
1. Power on the phone and ensure Bluetooth® is ON.
Press the center button of the joy pad (menu button).
Scroll to SETTINGS and press SELECT.
Scroll to CONNECTION and press SELECT.
Choose BLUETOOTH LINK and press SELECT.
Scroll to SETUP and press SELECT.
If power is OFF, select CHANGE.
Choose ON and press SELECT.
2. Press and release the Talk button on the steering wheel and wait for the “beep” before you speak. Repeat this step before all spoken commands.
3. Say “phone setup.”
4. Say “pair.”
5. Say any 4-digit PIN code for pairing. Remember it as you will need to enter it into your phone later. HandsFreeLink will now instruct you to begin the pairing process in the phone.
*If you are in the main screen of the phone go to step 6. If you are in the Bluetooth Setup screen, press BACK and then go to step 10.
6. Press the MENU button on the phone.
7. Choose SETTINGS and press SELECT.
8. Scroll to CONNECTION and press SELECT.
9. Choose BLUETOOTH LINK and press SELECT.
10. Scroll to HANDS-FREE and press SELECT.
11. Scroll to LOOK FOR DEVICES and press SELECT.
12. HandsFreeLink should appear on the device list. Choose HandsFreeLink and press SELECT.
13. “BOND WITH HandsFreeLink?” will appear. Press YES.
14. Enter the 4-digit PIN from step 5 and press OK.
15. When prompted, say the desired phone name.
16. You should hear “pairing successful.”
Old 07-31-2004 | 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Were you out of contract or within 2 months of your contract expiring? I went to Radio Shack expecting to be able to extend my service and buy the phone for $319.99, but they wanted $519.99 for it. Ouch! A recent eBay auction for the phone ended at $486 + $15 shipping.

I concur. I called my V710 with my wife's cell phone and her number rescueswimmer, I paid $319.99 for the phone at Radio Shack because I renewed my VZW service for two years. I am also eligible for the $70 mail-in rebate.
Old 07-31-2004 | 02:10 PM

briden-

Thank you very much for all the info. That should help me out. vbmenu_register("postmenu_891018", true);
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by richmojm
Were you out of contract or within 2 months of your contract expiring? I went to Radio Shack expecting to be able to extend my service and buy the phone for $319.99, but they wanted $519.99 for it. Ouch! A recent eBay auction for the phone ended at $486 + $15 shipping.
I last updated my account last year when I bought my wife a phone. I was given no hassle when I went to RS. I said "Extend me for two years" and they gave me the $319.99 deal. Your RS rep is probably mistaken.
Old 07-31-2004 | 08:25 PM
Advanced

I last updated my account last year when I bought my wife a phone. I was given no hassle when I went to RS. I said "Extend me for two years" and they gave me the $319.99 deal. Your RS rep is probably mistaken.
You know it never ceases to amaze how these companies manage to stay in business. I actually called Verizon store and they told me that I could not get the discount unless I was out of contract or if my plan was $50 a month or more per phone ( I have two ) for 59.95 month plan. BUT I could take some other higher plan and get the discount. Half the time it appears to be more who you talk too. All these plans and rebates are so confusing sometimes they don't seem to even have a clue. Shows poor implementation of a sales plan if you ask me. Six months from now they will prbably be giving them away. I remember when the Startac originally came out, the initial cost was over $3000.00 I kid you not. Before you knew it they were $400 then they were practically giving them away for nothing a year later. $319 is acceptable to me but anymore is not. I will check around and see what I can do once Verizon gets them in.

Remids me of years ago when I switched to AT&T because Varizon would not give me a deal on a replacement Startac. 30 Days later they were calling and offering to not only give me the Startac but also pay my way out if AT&T contract. Made no sense since it would have been cheaper and easier just to do what I wanted 30 days prior. I decided to stay with AT&T at the time just because I was pissed off. BIG MISTAKE, AT&T was horrible! I ran back to Verizon after a year and once again I could make calls unlike AT&T the worst outfit in wireless.

I figure if I make enough calls or get the right person eventually I'll get my deal.

George in NY - ovefr a year into two year contract
Old 07-31-2004 | 09:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I'm a bit confused despite reading this entire thread.

Let's say I program the TL's special phonebook for the number 444-444-4444 and assign it the name "Jim Dodge".

Jim's number is listed and his caller ID is functioning.

Are you saying that if Jim calls me and my TL picks up the incoming call, it's not going to say "Jim Dodge" on the MID? It's just going to say 444-444-4444 and not match back to the name I assigned it?

I understand that the v710 won't send text to the MID. I would not understand that if I programmed this info into the TL's special phonebook that it wouldn't correlate the number 444-444-4444 to the TL's phonebook name of "Jim Dodge".

Please tell me that I read wrong, and that the 30 or so important names/numbers I store in the TL's special phonebook allow the name of the person to be displayed on the MID. Please?

BJ
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by boltjames
I'm a bit confused despite reading this entire thread.

Let's say I program the TL's special phonebook for the number 444-444-4444 and assign it the name "Jim Dodge".

Jim's number is listed and his caller ID is functioning.

Are you saying that if Jim calls me and my TL picks up the incoming call, it's not going to say "Jim Dodge" on the MID? It's just going to say 444-444-4444 and not match back to the name I assigned it?

I understand that the v710 won't send text to the MID. I would not understand that if I programmed this info into the TL's special phonebook that it wouldn't correlate the number 444-444-4444 to the TL's phonebook name of "Jim Dodge".

Please tell me that I read wrong, and that the 30 or so important names/numbers I store in the TL's special phonebook allow the name of the person to be displayed on the MID. Please?

BJ
You read absolutely correctly. In your example, if Jim calls, only his phone number is displayed in the MID. His name will appear ON THE PHONE, but not in the car's MID (I tested this myself), even if Jim's phone number is programmed into the TL's phonebook. When you enter the phone numbers into the TL's phonebook, each name is actually a voice entry that is not translated to text; the associated phone number IS translated from voice to text.

Luckily, all I really care about is being able to go totally handsfree while driving, WITHOUT using that blasted earphone.

Originally Posted by georgeny
I figure if I make enough calls or get the right person eventually I'll get my deal.
Exactly. I happened to find a deal on my first try, without even really trying. If the salesman had tried the "no, you have to upgrade or pay $519.99" routine, I'd have walked and waited for VZW to offer the phone. With NE2, I would've paid the same total price I'm going to anyway--$249.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:02 PM
Advanced

I was told I had to pay the $519 also, so I called up VZW and ask if they would credit my account the difference being that they didnt have the phone in stores.. It only made sense to try and they told me if I was willing to extend my contract they would do it.. So instead of waiting and hitting VZW up when the phone came out for a cheap price I have it now with a nice credit on my account.. I also am still going to submit the $70 dollar mail in rebate..

Just a thing some of you might want to try.. Tell them you are getting a new phone and you want at least a $100 dollar credit because you already have the phone and can't do an early upgrade at one of there stores.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:03 PM
Advanced

BJ
I'm afraid you've read right, BJ.

The whole thing made no sense to me either. Then I got out the TL manual, and unless I am missing something there, I now understand why what we want the TL to do can't be done. The reason is that the HFL attaches whatever phone number we enter to a name that can be spoken by us to call up the phone number, but that name never exists anywhere as text! So when we enter a new entry into the TL's directory, the phone number exists as text, but the name is just a recording.

I hope I am missing something, but I don't think I am.
Andy W.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:06 PM
Advanced

Not trying to repeat what Neuronbob wrote above me...if you look at the time stamps, we were apparently writing at the same time.

Sorry, Neuronbob!
Andy W.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:14 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Andyw2100
I'm afraid you've read right, BJ.

The whole thing made no sense to me either. Then I got out the TL manual, and unless I am missing something there, I now understand why what we want the TL to do can't be done. The reason is that the HFL attaches whatever phone number we enter to a name that can be spoken by us to call up the phone number, but that name never exists anywhere as text! So when we enter a new entry into the TL's directory, the phone number exists as text, but the name is just a recording.

I hope I am missing something, but I don't think I am.
Andy W.
Andy/Neuron....

Thanks for the quick replies. Is it true that the GSM v600 does show the text name as well as the battery life and signal strength on the TL's mid?

I ask because that new v3 Razor from Motorola runs the triplets software that the 600 runs and that could be yet another difference-maker in my decision to leave Verizon.

I hate my cellphone in the TL. There's no place convenient to put it. It rattles in the side door compartments (and would take a beating every time I slammed the door), it's virtually inaccessible in those two doors on the center console (just try removing a phone from there when the tranny is in Park), the upper part of the center armrest looks promising but the phone slides all over the place making noise (try it with a few CD's in there too), and the lower part of the center armrest is so deep and cavernous that reaching it is an impossibility.

For me, I put it in my cupholder as I can lean it in there without it moving around and I can hear it ring / access it quickly.

The dream is to leave a Bluetooth phone in my briefcase (or in the glove compartment) and let the MID do the heavy lifiting of the signal strength, battery life, and text caller ID, thus removing once and for all my storage issue.

Anyone know if the v600 has the complete Bluetooth integration software?

BJ
Old 08-01-2004 | 02:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

I dont think you get text, regardless of what phone you use.
Old 08-01-2004 | 05:39 AM
Drifting

I also bought an iGo car adapter to charge the V710 in the car. As you can see, the blue ring nicely complements the blue lights of the TL.
I like that iGo adapter...like you said it really looks good with the blue lights in the TL. Where can you purchase the adapter. I've looked around locally, and nobody seems to even know what it is. Also, what is the price, and does it come with a Motorola tip, or do you have to purchase that seperately?
Old 08-01-2004 | 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

No worries, Andy.

JetJock, I bought the iGo at Radio Shack at the same time I bought the phone. As I said above, you have to buy the Moto tip seperately. The price was $29.99, but I got a 10% discount and a free tip, so total before tax was $26.99. What you're paying for is future compatibility with other phones when you buy other tips.

BJ, now I just keep the phone in its belt clip, unless it needs charged, in which case it goes into the center console, using the second AC adapter port to charge. Much easier than keeping the phone in the cupholder, which I used to do. To answer your other question, Mobilezen says the V600 shows the full information except for the name that goes with the phone number, which is an Acura-imposed limitation in its HFL system. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...563#post890563
Old 08-01-2004 | 07:19 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

... Thanks for the quick replies. Is it true that the GSM v600 does show the text name as well as the battery life and signal strength on the TL's mid? ...
Hey, BJ - if the V600 does, that's the first time I've heard of it. What you are asking for isn't totally out of the question, but I suspect that the international standards for the HFL Profile may have to change. I haven't seen or heard of a phone yet that transmits the text name of the caller to the HFL receiver.

[30 minutes have now passed ...]

I just downloaded and browsed through the Bluetooth Hands Free Profile (Version 1.0) Specification from the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). It's interesting stuff, with some nice surprises. One of the surprises (which leads to an answer ahead) is that the HF Profile is based largely on the old Hayes "AT" modem commands from about 15-20 years ago. Many of the messages between the HFL in the car and your Bluetooth phone sit on top of the protocols and commands established a long time ago. There are Bluetooth-specific enhancements, of course. For example, there's a new command: "AT +BRSF" for Bluetooth Retreive Supported Features. There's also the old "AT Dnnnnnnn" command that's been around forever: it tells the device to dial phone number "nnnnnnn".

Back to BJ's question: One of the standard commands is "+CCWA", an unsolicted response from your cell phone that is a Call Waiting notification. The Call Waiting notification is what occurs when you have an incoming call. Taken from Section 4.24.2 of the Bluetooth Hands Free Profile (Version 1.0) Specification, "AT Capabilities Re-Used from GSM 07.07":
In the +CCWA: <number>, <type>, <class> result code. Only the <number>=calling phone number digits, <type>=type of address and <class>=voice parameters are covered in this specification. Anyways, the value of the <type> parameter is not considered relevant in this specification and shall be ignored by the HF, together with any of the non-covered parameters received.
As you can see by my bolded type above, there is nothing in the Bluetooth speciifcation that specifically handles transmitting your address book's text characters from an incoming call, just the phone number itself.

However, I also found the "AT +BINP" (Bluetooth Input) command, which allows linking a "Voice Tag" to a phone number in you cell phone. It looks to me like you can theoretically drag a voice activated phone number from the cell phone's phonebook over to the Hands Free phonebook. That would be really useful ... but we'll never see it in the 04TL ...
Old 08-01-2004 | 08:28 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Jazz/Neuron thanks for the follow-up.

I absolutely have to have the battery life and signal strength on the MID, so I'm out of the 710 and (very sadly) out of Verizon.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I can now jusify getting that smokin' hot V3 when its out.

Yum.

BJ
Old 08-01-2004 | 08:39 AM
Racer

Neuronbob or anyone else out there with the v710....any findings yet on the effect of battery life the BT connection has on the v710? The original claims of 25 minutes for the Razr V3, also a moto phone, scare me to think that the v710 may also suffer from a similar malady, if the 25 minute claim is true (a later post in the razr thread disputed it and quoted 1.5 hours from another source, which I could live with).

Quick Reply: V710 report with pix