Upgrading speakers and sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading speakers and sub

I have an 04 w/navi and thinking about upgrading my speakers and subwoofer. I've searched throughout AZ and found different results on the diameter of the speakers. Is it true that the front and rear speakers are 6.5" in diameter? Any other suggestions for brand of speakers? I'm thinking about Infinity Kappas and JL 8w3v2 sub. Is there a DIY on how to tear down the door panels and rear trunk lid?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Take some time and read the FAQ.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/3g-tl-audio-electronics-faq-605299/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=13

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/question-speakers-602658/

In regards to speaker/sub suggestion. What types of music do you listen to. What goal would you like to archive by replacing the factory system. What kind of performance are you looking for?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

I was just planning on replacing just the speakers for a clean sound and would like not to add an amp. I did tried to use jbl gto627, but the sound are not loud enough. Is it because of the different ohms between the factory amp and the jbl speaker? I really just want clean sound in my car. Someone help me with this upgrade. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear

Id upgrade to boston acoustic for interior speakers or focal
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Racer

Replacing Speakers Today

Had to replace the front speakers as they are distorting after 4 years of use, so I thought I would replace all 4. I have a 2004 TL. Am using JBL 2 ohm GTO speakers for the doors and the rear deck. Will let you know after they are in. To cangbang, you should use the same ohm rated speakers although I understand the amp can drive 4 ohm speakers, but I believe you give up some volume. It's not an over powering stereo to being with. I'll let you know.

Last edited by Peters; 03-01-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Racer

Speaker Upgrade

Installed 4 6.5" JBL GTO 2 ohm speakers front and back. The backs are also 6.5. No real difference in volume. Slightly broader frequency response from what I can tell, and perhaps a bit crisper at the high end. Overall a little sharper and I now have the treble at neutral or less, compared to before which was +2. Other than that, no real difference.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

did you have problem fitting them with the universal ring adapter to the factor speaker holes? I had that problem fitting into the factory holes with the 6 1/2" JBL GTO627.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Racer

Yes. The installers just cut the plastic ring out. I find the bass a little better. But I haven't really sat down to listen. I still have the old ones. I didn't find much difference in volume either way. As I said before I think you have to try a new amp for more power. For some reason, the sub is a little more pronounced with these speakers.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cangbang
I have an 04 w/navi and thinking about upgrading my speakers and subwoofer. I've searched throughout AZ and found different results on the diameter of the speakers. Is it true that the front and rear speakers are 6.5" in diameter? Any other suggestions for brand of speakers? I'm thinking about Infinity Kappas and JL 8w3v2 sub. Is there a DIY on how to tear down the door panels and rear trunk lid?
An F.Y.I. all the OEM speakers are 2 ohm, so if you put in 4 ohm speakers that will put a greater load on the amplifier and could cause clipping which in turn could destroy your new speakers. Unless you do like Peters and put in 2 ohm speakers. Someone posted a very good explanation on clipping, if you want a full understanding on this.
Another point to consider when upgrading is the factory head unit adjusts the EQ depending on the volume level. So if you drop a pile of cash on new speakers you might be disappointed in the results without addressing the EQ situation.
I just wanted to give you a heads up on some of the issues in upgrading the TL audio system. I have been researching this myself and read some of the many discussions on these issues. The answers to this depend entirely on what you want and expect. The full blown upgrade is to either go with JL audio clean sweeps or Rockford Fosgate 3sixty's or one of the other DSP's ect, new amps and speakers.
If you want to do a less expensive upgrade look for 2 ohm speakers and start replacing them. You can build up over time to the DSP's and new amps. There are definitely some good write ups and discussions on all this here.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
9th Gear

Actually, just the oppositte. A greater nominal speaker impedance is a "lighter" load on the amplifier. The effect you will feel is reduced power to your new speakers. One way to make up for this is to purchase speakers with higher effeciency. So, if for example your stock's are 89db/1 watt and you purchase speakers that are 92dB/1 Watt then you have effectively washed the decrease in power, as -3dB is the half power point. Granted this is in a perfect world without accounting for other losses. But it comes pretty close. If you are looking for some custom fiberglass boxes for your trunk let me know I am selling the ones I made. They are custom built solid fiberglass they fit in the sides of the trunk, and if you get just the passenger side, I made it to fit over the navigation rom perfectly. Let me know if interested.
Last note, you will probably want to get a larger amp on your new speakers, I did, the stock one just wasn't good enough for me. Good Luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Racer

New Speaker Upgrade - Continued

In listening to my new JBL's all around for a day or so now, the pros and cons of new speakers becomes more clear (no pun intended). Seriously though, as others have pointed out, replacing speakers is not an easy thing. The JBL GTO 61l2" appear to have very good dynamic range, but, they also reveal the shortcomings in the TL's stock amp. I still have my stock speakers so I may experiment with the rears and try and compare the two. When you listen to them in the show room, powered by who knows what, they always sound good!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't waste time adding speakers to your stock amplifier...you're simply just throwing your money away...the key to having better sound is using clean power from a quality amplifier...and lots of it...my rule of thumb for myself is to at least have 1.5 the amount of RMS power listed for the speakers...This gives you plenty of overhead to stay out of nasty clipping and distortion...Which will kill a speaker faster than 2.5 times the power...

Two key words...Dynamic Range...

-Jason