Unclad Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unclad Sub Box

Hi all. I've seen a fair amount of posts regarding Unclad4's custom fiberglass sub box. I just recently got one for my '06 TL, but am having issues installing. I'm clueless on the mounting points and what type of hardware to use. I know one screw should go in the floor and another through the side wall. I looked behind the carpet and I really can't find a good mounting point. I know a bunch of people have done installs on this custom box. I'm really at a loss and don't want to mess up the box or crack the fiberglass. Please, any suggestions would help. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
There is a hole where the cargo net knob goes on the left side wall. Take it out and put a 1.5" bolt in there. You have to pull the liner back to get to the metal. Then, drill your box to accept the bolt and tighten it down with a rubber gasket. Use two bolts so that it does not loosen up on you.

You can also use the same type of cargo net knob on the floor.

I got a similar box from a different source and it came pre-drilled with these two holes. It is very solid.
The following users liked this post:
petsheep (07-02-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jda123
There is a hole where the cargo net knob goes on the left side wall. Take it out and put a 1.5" bolt in there. You have to pull the liner back to get to the metal. Then, drill your box to accept the bolt and tighten it down with a rubber gasket. Use two bolts so that it does not loosen up on you.

You can also use the same type of cargo net knob on the floor.

I got a similar box from a different source and it came pre-drilled with these two holes. It is very solid.
Hmm, so I kinda understand. The thing is with the left wall cargo net, it's not like the ones on the floor. It's about a .5'' welded screw coming out of the wall. The cargo net holder nub screws into that. The ones on the floor are screw holes and the cargo net holder screws into the metal. I would have to extend the left wall cargo net screw by about 2''-4'' to have enough room for a 2 bolts, washer, and gasket.

Also, the box only covers that one left wall cargo net. None on the floor are covered by the box. I still have to drill a hole into the floor.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by petsheep
Hmm, so I kinda understand. The thing is with the left wall cargo net, it's not like the ones on the floor. It's about a .5'' welded screw coming out of the wall. The cargo net holder nub screws into that. The ones on the floor are screw holes and the cargo net holder screws into the metal. I would have to extend the left wall cargo net screw by about 2''-4'' to have enough room for a 2 bolts, washer, and gasket.

Also, the box only covers that one left wall cargo net. None on the floor are covered by the box. I still have to drill a hole into the floor.
I wouldn't bother with the floor bolt. I tried it both with and without the floor bolt and found that the floor bolt isn't necessary. The enclosure is shaped to fit in the corner so well that the one bolt in the side into the cargo net bolt hole is plenty to keep it from moving at all.

I used a rubber bushing against the inside of the enclosure and a washer against the bushing. This spreads the force across a large enough area of the enclosure to keep from cracking the fiberglass but this is probably overkill.
The following users liked this post:
petsheep (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RBeachTL
I wouldn't bother with the floor bolt. I tried it both with and without the floor bolt and found that the floor bolt isn't necessary. The enclosure is shaped to fit in the corner so well that the one bolt in the side into the cargo net bolt hole is plenty to keep it from moving at all.

I used a rubber bushing against the inside of the enclosure and a washer against the bushing. This spreads the force across a large enough area of the enclosure to keep from cracking the fiberglass but this is probably overkill.
Thanks for the info. Seems to be the general consensus. I'll either remove the existing cargo screw and replace or get an extender and apply some lock tight.