The Ultimate iPod Integration - will it ever happen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ultimate iPod Integration - will it ever happen?

Why hasn't somebody designed the following solution for car ipod integration?

A replacement head unit that has a dock, similar to a cassette deck opening, where you slide your ipod in, dock connector first, and then control all functions via the head unit/steering wheel controls. I wouldn't care if it had a tuner, CD slot, XM, etc. as long as it could play my ipod flawlessly with no questions asked.

If I knew anything about designing car electronics/audio I would design it, sell it, and retire.

What does everybody think?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I just got an iPod 5G and am already perplexed by all the issues I am seeing. As an electrical engineer I am already finding my self thinking I could do something DIY. But after I look at the details and how much cars vary, I think that truly integrated solutions are very custom to each car, or small groups of cars. It seems there is no "magic bullet" that will be all things to all people for all cars. Therefore the market is small and segmented for completely seamless integration with OE systems. So far I have found:
  • a source for the 30 pin dock connector
  • the pin-out diagram for the dock connector
  • Some information about how to talk serially to the iPod
With that I could only get to the point of having line level audio out and a charging option. Whoopie SH*t. The real trick is:
  • Talking serially to the ipod to control it (pick songs, play lists, etc).
  • Listening to the serial output of the iPod to decode it for display be it on the nav or non-nav set up(menus, titles, etc)
  • Seamlessly integrating it with other components in the car so all OE systems still work without bleeding.
  • Making a product that can sell on enough cars to be profitable
  • Reverse engineed all the things Apple doesn't want you to know.

Have I recked you business plan yet ? Factor in how most cars will have mini-plug aux ins in the future and that really puts a chill on your future product line. To many, that will be better since it works with more than iPods.

I think I'll end up using something like a USA SPEC with a custom "Adobeman" modification to remedy the XM bleeding if I should need it.

Thats not exactly what you asked. But even if you made a head unit you would still have all the integration issues to deal with. The big one would be fit and look. Folks want the OE look.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with you Adobeman, and I have considered all the ramifications as to why there is no easy solution. I'm just more or less venting my frustration as just about everyone else has here at one time or another.

It's just crazy that Honda couldn't get this right, when BMW and Mercedes have had ipod solutions for years now that have worked well.

I'm sure that in the not too distant future, the new cars will either have the ipod completely built in to the dash as part of the overall sound system (option), or the majority of cars will come with a hard drive media center built in for all entertainment.

It's fun to dream but also a bit frustrating.

DH