TVandNAv2go Want to power it through nav power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TVandNAv2go Want to power it through nav power?

Guys I bought the backup camera from Wendy (eBay) and Doms TVNav2go and I saw allot of the great postings on how to install it. But I don’t want to take the back seats out and try to power it through the cigarette lighter. There’s got to be and easier way to get power like from the Nav. Everyone says not to do it but no one says why. Why destroy the cars backseats trying to get 12V. Does anyone know a way to install the TVNav2go's power through a source originating in the trunk? J.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to keep your warranty for you nav intact, you cut into the wire you cut your warranty up
Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
You could tap into the navigation drive's power source and use that to power the TVandNav2Go. It's not recommended but a few members have done so.

For me, I decided to tap into the center storage console power outlet. Why? Its not too far from the trunk; the removal of the bottom rear passenger seat is easy (you won't destroy anything); and if I ever need to take my car in for service on the navigation, I can remove the TVandNav2Go and make everything return back to the original factory look (also the reason I chose the PnP harness).

Sure I tapped into the center console power outlet, but unless they ever open that up, I have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IFLEYE2003
Guys I bought the backup camera from Wendy (eBay) and Doms TVNav2go and I saw allot of the great postings on how to install it. But I don’t want to take the back seats out and try to power it through the cigarette lighter. There’s got to be and easier way to get power like from the Nav. Everyone says not to do it but no one says why. Why destroy the cars backseats trying to get 12V. Does anyone know a way to install the TVNav2go's power through a source originating in the trunk? J.
Did you acquire the plug-n-play wire harness as well?? If not, your are already splicing wires - thus warranty (most folks concerns), is a mute subject...
- Either way, pulling the bottom of the rear seat out is a 2 minute painless process. The back/vertical cushion does not have to be removed to run the wires towards the front of the vehicle. I saved the $100+ wire harness cost and installed professionally myself. I also powered "just" Dom's unit off the navi drive supply. The camera is best powered via the back-up lights (off the same feed that you connect to Dom's unit to activate the video while in reverse). All of my connections are fused appropreately and utilize diodes to ensure no "back-flow" of power to the car/navi circuits. Warranty is of little concern or at least mitigated with a good install. Absolutely no issues to date.

You might as well figure out how to remove the rear bottom seat cushion. You are bound to do more than just the camera in the future...

Have some fun!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty

You might as well figure out how to remove the rear bottom seat cushion. You are bound to do more than just the camera in the future...

Have some fun!

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:11 AM
5th Gear

Thanks guys for the explanation. I do have the p2p harness so no problems there. .
Old 12-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Instructor

So even with the plug n play harness you have to supply power, eh? I already have power in the trunk run from the battery for my aftermarket amp.. Can I just put a distribution block back there and pull power from that for Dom's PNP unit?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
So even with the plug n play harness you have to supply power, eh? I already have power in the trunk run from the battery for my aftermarket amp.. Can I just put a distribution block back there and pull power from that for Dom's PNP unit?
Would work great... Though you would want power only when the key is on etc..
Old 12-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Hmm.. Wonder how I could do that, then.. My amp powers on with the remote wire that I tapped into from the factory amp. How could I get DOM's unit to only power on when the key is on?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Hmm.. Wonder how I could do that, then.. My amp powers on with the remote wire that I tapped into from the factory amp. How could I get DOM's unit to only power on when the key is on?
Does your new amp only come on when the factory amp/radio is on? IE does the wire you tapped for "remote" power-on of your trunk mounted amp "hot" with acc power or just when the head unit/stereo is on?? If it's on anytime the key is on then just use it to power Dom's unit.. Dom's unit draws very little power..

Other than that,,,,,,

No matter how you slice it you either use the Navi power lead or run a wire from the console/fuse box/acc circuit etc..

Good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Instructor

My aftermarket amp only comes on when the factory amp/radio is on. This happens via the remote wire which I tapped into from the factory amp and ran to my aftermarket amp.

So what you're saying is that there's enough voltage running through that remote wire to power DOMs unit AND still retain functionality as the remote wire for my aftermarket amp?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
WDP Director of R & D

My aftermarket amp only comes on when the factory amp/radio is on. This happens via the remote wire which I tapped into from the factory amp and ran to my aftermarket amp.

So what you're saying is that there's enough voltage running through that remote wire to power DOMs unit AND still retain functionality as the remote wire for my aftermarket amp?
YES (check, but it should just be a low amp 12v circuit)
-- but with your remote wire only being hot when the radio is on, it would result in Dom's unit only functioning when the radio is on. This would be fine for a DVD mod where sound is required but if you are wanting a reverse cam it too then would only work if the radio was on etc..
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Thanks KJ. I've got a volt-meter, I'll check it out when I get the unit @ Christmas (hopefully if my girl comes through, haha).

Thanks again..
Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
YES (check, but it should just be a low amp 12v circuit)
-- but with your remote wire only being hot when the radio is on, it would result in Dom's unit only functioning when the radio is on. This would be fine for a DVD mod where sound is required but if you are wanting a reverse cam it too then would only work if the radio was on etc..
Dom's unit needs to be on all the time (when the car is on) so that your regular navigation screen will work. Otherwise, you'll see scrolling lines. Trust me on this.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:48 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by datmrman
Dom's unit needs to be on all the time (when the car is on) so that your regular navigation screen will work. Otherwise, you'll see scrolling lines. Trust me on this.
No trust required... I have one-and performed that check early on... :-)

Definitely a good point to emphasize to iTISTIC - one that I did not make entirely clear. Thus, if Dom's unit is powered via the stock amp remote power wire and thus only works with the radio on,,, your display/screen in its entirety would only work when the radio is on - no matter what the input etc..
Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Definitely need to tap into another power source then. What's the easiest one to tap into? Cigarette lighter jack in the center console? What's the best way and what should I use to tap into it?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Definitely need to tap into another power source then. What's the easiest one to tap into? Cigarette lighter jack in the center console? What's the best way and what should I use to tap into it?
Good plan,

I powered "just" Dom's unit off the navi harness, my choice then was the center console acc plug for my DVD/audio switch power source. I found it the easiest to access as well as run wires under carpet etc. through the rear seat area. I also installed an in-line fuse right at the connection of the acc plug that you can access through the small panel at the bottom of the console (used for adjusting the parking brake etc.) As for the connection/tap I just stripped away a little of the sheathing on the acc + wire then soldiered on and shrink wrapped my wire/fuse housing etc.. The rest was just routing under the carpet/seat. While you're in there though, best to run the extra wires for the little switch circuit from Doms unit that transfers source-video. You may not have a need for it initially yet will probably want to incorporate it in the future. Keep you from removing the seat again etc..

Have you removed the console or rear seat before yourself? Overall quite easy - we can provide techniques etc. if you want.

Have fun
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

What's the easiest one to tap into? Cigarette lighter jack in the center console? What's the best way and what should I use to tap into it?
That is exactly what I did for my install. Check it out here (if you haven't already):
DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install
Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
let me ask you all this. I am about to do all this (myself) but i dont want to rip out the seat either and i dont want to mess around with my aftermarket amps 12v+

I have the illuminated door sills, which i ran a (2) 12v+ wires. One from the driver side fuse box and one from the glove box wiring harness

can i tap into those? i dont see why not.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
can i tap into those? i dont see why not.
as long as Dom's unit receives a constant 12V supply (when key is in the car), then you shouldn't have any issues.