The Truth About Installing an Aftermarket Radio into a 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 4 Posts
The Truth About Installing an Aftermarket Radio into a 3G TL

What options do I have on installing an aftermarket deck?
Both single din and double din size radios will fit. Additionally, a single din radio and a single din or smaller equalizer will fit together in the space provided.

Where will the new radio go?
The best place to install a new radio would be where the original radio once sat.

Is a custom dash kit needed to install a double din?
A dash kit is not needed. Dash kits are used on vehicles in most cases to hold and support the new radio. In the case with the TL the old radio support will have holes that will align perfectly with the new radio (well, 6 screws out of 8, but that's plenty of support) However, there will be gaps around the unit that will need some attention for 'appearance' purposes only. What people don't realize is that with a grinder and a little bit of time and elbow grease a face plate can be made for less than $8 for a sheet of abs plasic. In many cases a new double din radio will come with a trim cover that can be used for such a purpose which will save you that $8.

Will I need to by-pass the factory amplifier?
Yes and no. Aftermarket radios have a built in amplifier that will outperform the factory amplifier and so it is highly suggested. Also, because it is amplified, you will be doubling up the amps and will get distortion far before reaching the halfway point on the radio. Additionally, if a sub is installed and the amp is not bypassed, distortion will be heard far before enough volume is created to push the subs to their prefered volume. It is highly suggested to by-pass the factory amp, but not necessary.

Do I by-pass the factory amplifier behind the radio or at the amp location?
The by-pass must be done at the amplifier. There are two ways to do this. At the amp location there are two plugs. One is speaker signal coming in and one is signal going out. One way is to locate the speaker +/- 'in' and connect it to the +/- 'out' for each speaker (not needed for center or sub). The other way is to run wires from the back of the new radio to the harness that has signal out to the various speakers. The first way is a much cleaner way, and new wires will not have to be ran when a proper Honda wire harness is used.

Which speakers will I lose?
The only speakers that would be lost would be the center channel and the sub. The front speakers and corresponding tweeters run together on the same wires and are already on a factory crossover. Therefore they will not be lost.

Will I lose my steering wheel controls?
Yes. But fortunately there are adapters to retrieve them back. But for the money and the time required to do so, the price of a remote (if it is not included) will be much more convenient and will require no installation or configuring. Also, a remote will have more functions than what's available on the steering wheel. Bluetooth controls will also be lost and as of now are not retrievable.

What will I lose by replacing the factory radio?
-DVD-Audio
-Bluetooth
-Factory apperance
-Six disc changer
-XM
-Center speaker and subwoofer
-Steering wheel controls
-Stereo information beneath the climate control
(Most if not all of these can be retrieved with a little more time and cash)

What will I gain by replacing the factory radio
-Better sound and upgradability
-Options for XM, Sirius, HD Radio, DVD, Bluetooth, Navigation, MP3, IPod, Aux, Line outs, etc.

I hope this helps out people interested in installing an aftermarket radio. I am an MECP Certified Installer and i was able to do the whole install myself. I noticed these random questions asked at various locations and i didn't want to fully answer them until i did my install. If you have more questions or comments feel free to ask. I will be posting pictures of my install as soon as i get a chance.

Last edited by crazyjr79; 10-07-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Crazy Jr:

I just picked up a non-navi 06 and was looking at my options. I'd like to have a touchscreen navi, dvd, etc but would still like to have the HVAC controls displayed somewhere(doesn't need to be on the stock unit). I've seen people putting a touchscreen where the stereo unit is and having the display appear dead, which I'm not a fan of.

Any idea what type of cost I'm looking at to either: 1) move the hvac display into the cubbie area and installing a touchscreen nav in its place. 2) replace the stock display and have hvac controls displayed elsewhere?

also, in both situations would the stereo component become completely useless? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCADA
Hey Crazy Jr:

I just picked up a non-navi 06 and was looking at my options. I'd like to have a touchscreen navi, dvd, etc but would still like to have the HVAC controls displayed somewhere(doesn't need to be on the stock unit). I've seen people putting a touchscreen where the stereo unit is and having the display appear dead, which I'm not a fan of.

Any idea what type of cost I'm looking at to either: 1) move the hvac display into the cubbie area and installing a touchscreen nav in its place. 2) replace the stock display and have hvac controls displayed elsewhere?

also, in both situations would the stereo component become completely useless? Thanks in advance.
I have heard that it is possible to utilize both radios so you can keep your HFL and such. But this is more for people who want a better sound system and therefore stash a single din deck under the dash. But what you want to do is relocate the hvac, and that is all good and easy...just some wire extensions. However, you will have the appearance of having two radios. My suggestion, get a digital single din equalizer and a single din flip out above that one, that way it will cover the unused portion of the hvac. Here's how my setup has come to play so far. still need to do more customizing.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Its ugly
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not ugly, per se. Just loox really, really "not stock". Radio loox like it's sitting in one of those displays in the car audio aisle at Wal-Mart. Not a desired look in a high-end car.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
boost 3G

wouldnt be so bad if the surround peice matched the rest and if the silver cutouts for the factory knobs wasnt there
Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I would like to see more detailed pics before passing judgement.
OP--Welcome to AZ. Great thread! I'm sure a lot of folks will find it useful.
Have you done anything to the factory speakers in your install? Many people (myself included) would like to keep the OEM radio and upgrade just the speakers. Your experience and writing skills make you a perfect candidate to address this.
Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
you can do it, but making it look good requires a decent bit of time and skill.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

Hey crazyjr, do you have any pictures or detailed instructions for removing the head unit / console moldings from 05 TL w/nav . . . wife wants ipod adaptor installed and I dont want to trash the little lady's dash.

Thanks in advance,
SS00
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
3G Garage: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/
Scroll down to item "#F-052 How to remove center console and aluminum dash strips"
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't understand why people replace the stock HU/Navi....a complete waste of money. You can get better sound quality, volume, keep all functionality, etc... using 1 or 2 aftermarket amps, after market speakers, and eq.

I'll be at a small car audio meet this Sat. in the Bay Area if you want to hear what is possible with stock hu.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwb993
I would like to see more detailed pics before passing judgement.
OP--Welcome to AZ. Great thread! I'm sure a lot of folks will find it useful.
Have you done anything to the factory speakers in your install? Many people (myself included) would like to keep the OEM radio and upgrade just the speakers. Your experience and writing skills make you a perfect candidate to address this.
Thanks.
...Look, I know what you guys are thinking, "smooth out the trim!" i am fully aware that the appearance of the trim's exterior isn't 'acurazine' quality...but one thing at a time. i plan on making a replica of this and layering it with some fiberglass and paint it flat black. Second i plan on fiberglassing the side trims on both sides of the radio to completely remove the half circles. All this in good time. My time is not that wide and my pockets are not that deep. As for the speakers, i have replaced all four speakers with Infiniti 6 1/2's all around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that their is already a topic on the disasembly and install of speakers. If i'm wrong let me know and I will write a write-up on the details.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I don't understand why people replace the stock HU/Navi....a complete waste of money. You can get better sound quality, volume, keep all functionality, etc... using 1 or 2 aftermarket amps, after market speakers, and eq.

I'll be at a small car audio meet this Sat. in the Bay Area if you want to hear what is possible with stock hu.
It is very true that you can get better sound by adding amps onto a stock HU but you will never reach the capacity of an aftermarket HU, plus the functionality and the endless posibilities of add-on's. I'm not a fan of a useless screen under the climate display....but i'm blaming Acura for that. Some people buy cars and the first thing they do is go to the rim shop, others take it to the lowering shop, me, I gotta upgrade the audio.
The following users liked this post:
CTIrish (12-25-2015)
Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OP.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Chapter Leader (NorCal)

hey, nice write up for those who don't know what they can do with their TL audio.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

idiots like you give the mobile electronics business a very very bad name...

2 ohm speakers directly connected to an aftermarket radio which has already been pushed to the max on it's output transistors @ 4 ohms...very very bad idea...you're gonna end up with a paper weight...

what did you put...2 ohm resister in line to bump up 2 4 ohms.. that's a very good way to enhance...not!

You say that you're MECP...what BestBuy make you take the MECP Basic level install test...that isn't shit buddy...before you open to mouth sayin all of these "TRUTHS"...consult some buddy with actualy knowlede and experience...K...

F.O.A.D.

-Jason
Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crazyjr79
It is very true that you can get better sound by adding amps onto a stock HU but you will never reach the capacity of an aftermarket HU, plus the functionality and the endless posibilities of add-on's. I'm not a fan of a useless screen under the climate display....but i'm blaming Acura for that. Some people buy cars and the first thing they do is go to the rim shop, others take it to the lowering shop, me, I gotta upgrade the audio.
So, let's get this straight. You acknowledge you will get "better sound" by adding aftermarket amps to the stock HU. And, you say you "gotta upgrade the audio". Only conclusion I can come to is "upgrading audio" to you = more bells and whistles NOT better sound. That's cool...the bells and whistles look good.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Check your self "buddy"

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
idiots like you give the mobile electronics business a very very bad name...

2 ohm speakers directly connected to an aftermarket radio which has already been pushed to the max on it's output transistors @ 4 ohms...very very bad idea...you're gonna end up with a paper weight...

what did you put...2 ohm resister in line to bump up 2 4 ohms.. that's a very good way to enhance...not!

You say that you're MECP...what BestBuy make you take the MECP Basic level install test...that isn't shit buddy...before you open to mouth sayin all of these "TRUTHS"...consult some buddy with actualy knowlede and experience...K...

F.O.A.D.

-Jason
Comments and corrections are welcome. I had replaced my speakers with 4 ohm infiniti's well before I decided to install my HU. For that you are right. However, it's not necessary to bash on a thread that was meant to help out those in need. I have seen some of your work and I gotta say you seem to know what your doing too. Don't bash me cause I could easily bash your grammar... "consult some buddy with actualy knowlede"...seriously?!! Before you bash me make sure you know how to spell it.
Turbocoop (01-18-2014)
Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
So, let's get this straight. You acknowledge you will get "better sound" by adding aftermarket amps to the stock HU. And, you say you "gotta upgrade the audio". Only conclusion I can come to is "upgrading audio" to you = more bells and whistles NOT better sound. That's cool...the bells and whistles look good.
Upgrade the audio as in 'all around.' I didn't like the Ipod interface with the stock HU because it had too many bugs. I personally don't like adding 4 channel amps to stock radios via LOC's. "better sound" isn't everything to me. I need funtionality. In short, I like the extra "bells and whistles."
Old 11-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry...forgive my mis-use of grammer...

I was simply flabbergasted by your ignorance!

...not to mention...it was written from my blackberry...

so thanks

you're just too cool for school my friend!

-Jason
Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
sorry...forgive my mis-use of grammer...

I was simply flabbergasted by your ignorance!

...not to mention...it was written from my blackberry...

so thanks

you're just too cool for school my friend!

-Jason
Wow! what, did you pre-write that up in MS Word then change it all up using the thesaraus? Anyways, all I was doing was giving advice about the Stereo, Not the speakers. I did admit that i left that part out....end of discussion. If you feel that I was not good enough, why don't you start up a thread on the Truth's about installing a deck in a 3G TL?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crazyjr79
Upgrade the audio as in 'all around.' I didn't like the Ipod interface with the stock HU because it had too many bugs. I personally don't like adding 4 channel amps to stock radios via LOC's. "better sound" isn't everything to me. I need funtionality. In short, I like the extra "bells and whistles."
That's cool...nothing wrong with that...bells and whistles can be fun too

I'm a freak when it come to sound quality and trying to authentically reproduce music consistent with the musicians intent. It's a crazy no win quest, but it is fun trying...

Have fun with your system
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Disturbin' The Peace!

There are alot of advantages to replacing the factory hu. But, there are disadvantages as well as CrazyJr mentioned. But, it all depends on the overall goal of the person. If they want form and function, then the oe hu will be more than sufficient, but, if they want better sq, control, etc, then and after hu will be their best bet.

Nice write-up. Itll help alot of people with their questions.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

nice write up.

i'm looking at possibly installing a jensen vm9022hd. it has bluetooth, hd radio, and ipod connectivity.

that being said what do i have to lose by replacing my HU with this? btw i have a non-navi 05 tl.

since this unit is also bluetooth, i wouldn't be losing that would i?

and finally, would i really lose the center and subwoofer? those are 2 things i really don't want to lose. i do not want to change out any speakers, i just want DVD, HD radio and an ipod connectivity and this unit offers it all within my budget. like you, my pockets are not deep.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1FastVtec
There are alot of advantages to replacing the factory hu. But, there are disadvantages as well as CrazyJr mentioned. But, it all depends on the overall goal of the person. If they want form and function, then the oe hu will be more than sufficient, but, if they want better sq, control, etc, then and after hu will be their best bet.

Nice write-up. Itll help alot of people with their questions.
Hate to disagree with you...haven't found a TL with aftermarket HU that has better SQ then my stock HU with zapco amps and digital processing. Talk about control: time alignment, phasing, more eq options then any after market HU i've seen. With a 3 way front stage, I can tune one speaker at a time...Laptop connectable from front seat listening position, etc., etc., one of these days all the West Coast TL audio nutz can get together and compare...I've listened to a lot of competition level audio cars, and changing the TL Stock HU is the very last thing I would ever do...

If I stop getting trophies in the competitions I'm in, then maybe I'd reconsider, but there is a whole list of other things I would try first.

I forget who started the thread, but I appreciate his honesty. He likes the bells and whistles of the aftermarket HU's, that's way cool. But when start saying after market HU is the key to the best SQ it is way more complicated then that my friend...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they did make a nice single din radio kit for our cars i sure would have thrown my Premier deh-800prs in there in a heart beat. But until then im fine with the stock HU. i agree about the zapco amps im a fan and user of them but there other solutions and head units out there that can meet and surpass the SQ with less money spent. But id never go aftermarket double din because none of the double din's have the SQ tuning that i want. There only found in single din none dvd monitor style units. Until i can find a double din with time alignment, more then 10 band of eq'ing, the ability to run active, phase adjustment, a 100db signal to noise ratio and 5-6 volt pre-out and copper chasis, ill just stick with a single din or factory deck.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments. And for those of you who found this helpful, you are welcome. To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't have chosen to change the stock HU if I had the Navi. But since I, like many others, didn't think it was that big-a-deal at the time, I needed to light up my interior a little better. I have had the change for over a month now, and I can say that I absolutely love it. My stock radio didn't push my rear infiniti's at all and I had the choice to either put a 4 ch. amp in with loc's or a dbl din. Like other members said, to each's own. I say do what makes you happy and forget about what others say or think, unless you are into competitions, then, of course, that doesn't apply.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep Factory Navigation and Subwoofer

Hey guys I am posting in case someone else finds themselves in my shoes. I was looking to upgrade my Acura TL radio, I have nav but don't use it much, anyways. I did the install didn't do all my research upfront and I had no sound. I found the amp turn on wire but it took me a while and I had to come up with some ghetto plug since I didn't want to wiretap it. Then I found I lost my subwoofer I wasn't sure at first if it was working or not but it definitely wasn't. Then to add to it all my touchscreen stopped working. After a ton of research I was able to figure it all, the navigation needed a 68ohm resistor wired in, the subwoofer input is on a different harness. I even got the steering wheel controls working even the call control ones.

Anyways all this to say that if you are just starting to explore upgrading your radio and can't find answers in the forums cause links are 404'ing then this might help you.

https://acuratldashkit.com/

They sell like the resistor mod/amp retainer so you don't have to wire tap it or anything and its plug and play. They also sell like a complete harness for pioneer radios that is just supposed to be plug and play, for other radios too maybe. You don't need to buy the entire kit on the top scroll to the bottom and you'll see the piece I'm talking about its only $20.
EvilVirus (09-27-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
way to revive a 10 year old thread!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Opporlando
Hey guys I am posting in case someone else finds themselves in my shoes. I was looking to upgrade my Acura TL radio, I have nav but don't use it much, anyways. I did the install didn't do all my research upfront and I had no sound. I found the amp turn on wire but it took me a while and I had to come up with some ghetto plug since I didn't want to wiretap it. Then I found I lost my subwoofer I wasn't sure at first if it was working or not but it definitely wasn't. Then to add to it all my touchscreen stopped working. After a ton of research I was able to figure it all, the navigation needed a 68ohm resistor wired in, the subwoofer input is on a different harness. I even got the steering wheel controls working even the call control ones.

Anyways all this to say that if you are just starting to explore upgrading your radio and can't find answers in the forums cause links are 404'ing then this might help you.

https://acuratldashkit.com/

They sell like the resistor mod/amp retainer so you don't have to wire tap it or anything and its plug and play. They also sell like a complete harness for pioneer radios that is just supposed to be plug and play, for other radios too maybe. You don't need to buy the entire kit on the top scroll to the bottom and you'll see the piece I'm talking about its only $20.
Thanks for the link bro

Originally Posted by pohljm
way to revive a 10 year old thread!
Shhhhhhh
Old 01-20-2020, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

Any Northern Va people in that have done this before

Any Northern Va people in that have done this before? I really like the look of the touch screen but have no idea what id be doing. If there is someone in Northern VA who has done this before and can help walk me thought it I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:19 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...2008-a-983023/
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Lightbulb

What options or What will I gain by replacing the factory radio after installing an aftermarket andriod tesla style unit?
-Better sound
- able to save/program 18 radio stations on the radio
-Keep factory appearance

-better Options for dash cam, backup camera, headrest monitors, Sirius XM through google play app no additional wiring or equipment just a subscription,Bluetooth, Better Navigation apps ggogle maps, waze, android auto, carplay support, USB, videos, 4g lte, wifi, etc.

Where will the new radio go?
same as oem stereo

Is a custom dash kit needed to install?
no.

Will I need to by-pass the factory amplifier?
No. it is built to use factory amplifier no cutting or slicing

Which speakers will I lose?
none.

Will I lose my steering wheel controls?
Yes an No.
you will only loose the navi controls but not the radio's.

What will I lose by replacing the factory radio with android?
-DVD-Audio
-Six disc changer
-navi Steering wheel controls
- degrees are currently on celsius
Old 04-30-2020, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

Question

I know it’s years later and all... but, I just threw a pioneer double din in my non nav tl, used a wiring harness adapter for the blue harness only. I realize I’ll have to bypass the amp to get rid of distortion and all that but I lost my marker lights and the fender and 1/4 panel lights as well, any ideas on why?
Old 06-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
is your navi screen still connected?
have you verified fuses are good?
Old 06-28-2020, 03:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
is your navi screen still connected?
have you verified fuses are good?

I ended up getting an 06 6MT I found for a stupid cheap price but I did actually verify fuses were good and the Navi screen was still connected, never did figure out my issue. I appreciate the response though!! That was the only TL I had the issue with out of 3. Other 2 are fine with aftermarket double dins.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

Hi, I am planning to install a pioneer 1500 double din in my 2005 TL. My factory amp is bad and I just want to bypass it. Is anyone aware of a harness that just bypasses the factory amp and allows you to use the pioneer amp without installing a separate amp. The Mobilemax harness implies it is for use with an exiting factory amp. I called a car stereo shop and they insist that an aftermarket amp should be installed with new wiring to all of the speakers. I just want to bypass the amp and plug in directly. Is anyone aware of a straight forward way to do this without splicing too many wires?
Thank you,
TLsRock
Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM
Drifting

My amp is bad too. It gets cool outside and I turn it up to 40 and it is just low listening level.
So anyway, Are you saying you want to connect the Pioneer head unit directly to the speakers?
Assuming the head unit has speaker level outputs then yes you can do it. But the TL has like 6 speaker channels. So, you will most likely have to leave something disconnected.
There are ways to connect everything but you will need to add more devices and more wiring.. (too much to discuss)
I think that mobilemax adapter just connects the head unit to the factory TL wiring harness.. And the wiring harness does not bypass the amp.
If the headunit does have speaker level outputs, then you will not be able to use that mobilemax adapter if you want to connect the speakers directly to the HU.
By the way I like Pioneer products. I have one of their D class amps. Very nice amp.

Originally Posted by TlsRock
Hi, I am planning to install a pioneer 1500 double din in my 2005 TL. My factory amp is bad and I just want to bypass it. Is anyone aware of a harness that just bypasses the factory amp and allows you to use the pioneer amp without installing a separate amp. The Mobilemax harness implies it is for use with an exiting factory amp. I called a car stereo shop and they insist that an aftermarket amp should be installed with new wiring to all of the speakers. I just want to bypass the amp and plug in directly. Is anyone aware of a straight forward way to do this without splicing too many wires?
Thank you,
TLsRock
Old 10-27-2020, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
there is no way that the internal amp from that ddin unit will drive the factory speakers at an acceptable level. well acceptable to me anyhow. add an amp
Old 10-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pohljm
there is no way that the internal amp from that ddin unit will drive the factory speakers at an acceptable level. well acceptable to me anyhow. add an amp
An aftermarket headunit will not have 6 channels. So, he may only be able to connect 4 speakers. So that is more "doable". Plus I think the OEM speakers are low impedance. And it may actually be a good idea to verify the headunit will drive low impedance speakers without damaging the headunit. I think the subwoofer has the impedance value stamped on it somewhere.. maybe the magnet. I think I have seen it. The other speakers may also be labeled.
So, the headunit, if it has a strong enough output, it may be more than enough to drive 4 speakers. But it needs to have "speaker level" outputs.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-27-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Installing an Aftermarket Radio into a 3G TL