Trunk Rattling: Peel N Seal diy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunk Rattling: Peel N Seal diy

Okay so i just got subs and my trunk rattled. So i went and bought some Peel N Seal from Lowes. It was in the roofing section. I had doubts but this stuff actually helps with the rattling.

First i removed the lining of the trunk. Its really easy. THere is like 1 screw and like 11 of these plastic things. Just use a flathead screwdriver to pop out the plastic things.

I had rattling on the top of the trunk, so i applied pNs to it. The rattling stopped on top of the trunk but moved down to the license plate part of the trunk. I then applied PnS to there. I had to take out the license plate holder thingy. It wasnt complicated and didnt take too long. Now the only part that rattles is the very end of the trunk. The part of the trunk that comes down and almost touches the bumper... I would have applied PnS to there too accept that part gets wet when it rains

I applied PnS by cutting it to size, then pushing it onto the surface. THen i used a hair dryer and heated it up. I used the back of a screwdriver to push it tight onto the surface. The adhesive is good so far. It is not coming off i tried to pull it off and its not going anywhere.

I tripled layered the top of the trunk, and double layered the license plate, and the license plate holder.

PICS:

Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Amazing. What a job done here! Does this Peel N Seal really work so far??
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Troublemaker

some other notes:
I used some soap and cleaned the surfaces before applying.
The PeelNSeal has made my trunk a few pounds heavier. Its not a problem the trunk still opens fine
The PeelNSeal actually keeps the sound inside the trunk. With the trunk closed there isnt that much bass coming out, however once you open the trunk the noise gets alot louder. Previously there was more noise coming from the trunk whe it did not have pNs

Its better now than before.

The last test is if this stuff can stand a Texas summer. I had the hair dryer heating a piece of this stuff for about 5 minutes until it got very hot, and then i pushed on the piece and it didnt seem like it would leak. (knock on wood)
Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice work.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice
Old 03-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Troublemaker

Im impressed by this stuff. That roll cost $13.50, and it was 6 inches by 25 feet. So about 12 sq ft. Thats about $1 a square foot. Dynamat extreme is about $9 per sq foot. The impressions that ive gotten so far have been:

Quieter environment outside the car even when the subs are on
The sound quality of the subs seem a little clearer (probably because there is less rattling)
The rattling has not completey gone away. The peelnseal did stop rattling where i applied it.

When my trunk rattled in the beginning, it was the whole trunk. I put my hands on the trunk and it still kept rattling all over. After putting PnS on the top of the trunk, THat part stopped rattling, but the license plate part of the trunk rattled. I put PNS on that part of the car, and now the rattling has progressed to the very end of the trunk, where it meets the rubber thing and the bumper. WHen i put my hands on the lower part of the trunk and pushed on it, there was hardly any rattling anymore. I guess this stuff does work. The last problematic part of my trunk is that thin part of it. I dont think even dynamat would work there because it gets wet when it rains. So ill think of something. But this stuff has helped.

PS: Before wHen i had the bass boost at 50% the trunk rattled a ton. Now i have to turn the bass boost to 75% just to get that last tiny part of the trunk to rattle
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Troublemaker

UPDATE: So i put that peal n seal on the thin part of the trunk, and all of the rattling has stopped. The trunk is pretty much silent, even at 75% gain
Ill put pics of the newest location of PNS tmr
Old 03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
good work man
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Troublemaker

i was looking around to see if weather/water/temperature affects peel n seal and i found this: http://www.paceproducts.com/peel-n-seal_faq.htm hope it helps
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor mans Dynamat

It looks like a poor man 'dynamat' (used in the car audio industry) but alot cheaper
Old 04-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Advanced

Looks good.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear

sorry..hope this isn't a dumb question.

description says rubberized asphalt. isn't asphalt bad..or is rubberized asphalt different? Last thing I want to do my car with something harmful, and put the baby in there.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Troublemaker

ive heard that when asphalt is superheated, it makes a smell. But i havent smell it yet. I tested a piece about 6inch by 6inches. heated it for 5 minutes with a hair dryer and it got REALLY HOT. i squished it onto each other. It was kinda soft, but nothing leaked and i could not smell anything... If you dont want to use it, you can use stuff specially made for car audio. Like Raamat and Brown Bread and FAt Mat. They are all a lot cheaper than dynamat i believe and work just as well. Dynamat is mainly an advertising/marketing thing.

On the dynamat website it says: "Dynamat Original is a styrene-butyadine-rubber-based, pressure-sensitive adhesive-backed, heat bondable vibrational damper"

Styene butyadine rubber based = Synthetic Rubber
Pressure sensitive adhesive backed = It sticks when u push it onto something... (LIKE TAPE?)
Heat bondable = You need to warm it up for it to stick

So if you look past the big words, you realize dynamat isnt so high tech as they make it sound
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice job dude, did you really have to take out the license plate holder? couldn't you just pns the entire trunk lid?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Troublemaker

yeah the license plate holder makes contact with this fairly thin piece of metal that you cant get to unless you take it out.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

i also applied P&S to my car, but a second Gen TL...
your whole car didnt have a smell of tar or something?
i had that smell + the wood of my box in my car for a couple weeks..
Old 04-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Troublemaker

i only applied pns to the trunk. but i dont have a smell. hmm
Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So would you say you pretty much got rid of all rattles now once you turn up your system at almost full? Has the base sound better inside and outside now? I am wondering because people say dynomat will enhance the base more sounding louder. So how does outside of the vehicle sound now? So did you do the license plate too? I still have to do mine and how long did it take to do the whole trunk??
Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Troublemaker

it takes about an hour or two to do the entire trunk. The rattles pretty much stopped after i put pns on the part of the trunk that meets right above the rear bumper. However, you could see the PNS with the trunk open so i just took it off. If you just PNS the trunk lid and the license plate area you should be in pretty good shape. I can turn the gain to bout 50% and not have rattles. Im still wondering if i should put a thing piece of rubber along the edge where the trunk meets the top of the rear bumper. If you PNS that part you should have very few to no rattles at full gain. However, it looks kinda bad.

About the sound dampening. The reason why sound is better after dynamatting, etc, is because the rattling kinda distorts some of the sound. Reducing rattling can make the sound more clear. PNS does a good job. If you PNS the entire trunk you will notice that you cant hear the bass outside the car as much.

It is pretty much identical to Dynamat extreme. My friend had dynamat extreme on his trunk lid and PNS looks identical, and is made of very similar things i think. He put PNS on the sides of his trunk and is pretty happy with the results.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So this stuff is very easy to use then correct. Just peel and stick it to the area you want. I have to go to see if any place carry this here in Vancouver Canada. Thanks dude!!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hook'em Horns!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone else use this stuff? Im about to buy and do my trunk.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro

To all who are afraid of getting an asphalt smell as the result of installing a Peal & Seal type membrane.

I did the whole interior of my 2000 Odyssey (The whole floor, the sides, all 5 doors) and never notice a smell.

The cost for the whole project was just under $120 CDN and it made the interior of the van much quieter.

That stuff sticks really well if the surface is dry and free of grease. It will stick even better if you apply it in temperature above 70 Deg. F and then you can use a painted paper seam roller (about $4.00 at the local Hardware Store) to promote the adhesion.

If you do make a mess as the stuff is asphalt based, you can use Varsol on a rag to clean it off.

Best regards from Montreal

Frenchnew
Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Instructor

This is great info....I will be putting my system in my car soon and I am happy to know I wont be paying for Dynamat + the labor. I can't install the audio equip myself, but doing this type of stuff is no big deal. Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I tried this stuff out before the meet last week and it looks identical to the dynamat i have behind my license plate inside the trunk. I placed it all over the trunk lid and it works great, it does not smell but only if you get your nose against it.

With the added weight of this and my decklid lip spoiler i need a new spring to pop the trunk up higher.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Once again I ask where did you get this stuff? Can you provide a link for us?

Thanks alot.

BTW - When I say, ONCE AGAIN, I don't mean in this thread....I just mean that alot of people post reviews and DIY posts for GREAT things...but no link to purchase them
Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters

Thanks alot.

BTW - When I say, ONCE AGAIN, I don't mean in this thread....I just mean that alot of people post reviews and DIY posts for GREAT things...but no link to purchase them

Dude, try reading the first sentence of first post.....
Old 08-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters

Thanks alot.

is your friend, have you tried google to do a search for "Peel & Seal"?

Any good lumber yard or hardware store should have the Peel & Seal and look for it in the roofing section.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by frenchnew
is your friend, have you tried google to do a search for "Peel & Seal"?

Any good lumber yard or hardware store should have the Peel & Seal and look for it in the roofing section.

WHere did the pics go?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

I'm sort of curious as to the sound dampening characteristics of this product. I'm not planning on adding any additional stereo equipement, but I am however looking to quiet the cabin down a bit more.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

Please if anyone has any feedback on smell that used it on the interior as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Looking for PnS in Vancouver

Where did you find the PnS in Montreal ? I am not aware of any Lowes stores in Canada.

Originally Posted by frenchnew
To all who are afraid of getting an asphalt smell as the result of installing a Peal & Seal type membrane.

I did the whole interior of my 2000 Odyssey (The whole floor, the sides, all 5 doors) and never notice a smell.

The cost for the whole project was just under $120 CDN and it made the interior of the van much quieter.

That stuff sticks really well if the surface is dry and free of grease. It will stick even better if you apply it in temperature above 70 Deg. F and then you can use a painted paper seam roller (about $4.00 at the local Hardware Store) to promote the adhesion.

If you do make a mess as the stuff is asphalt based, you can use Varsol on a rag to clean it off.

Best regards from Montreal

Frenchnew
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced

Accoustical dampening gets me all teary eyed, so does saving money. That said, this thread is right up my alley. I've been wanting to de-rattle-fy my trunk since the addition of a Basslink many months ago yet didn't want to endure the anal reaming of a full out dynamat purchase. Inspired by this thread, I set forth yesterday to buy 4ft.^2 of dynamat ($32) and a 25'X0.5ft. roll of PnS ($13.5 @ Lowes).

(DMxtreme-DynaMat Extreme; PnS-Peel n Seal)

Initial comparison: They appear to be identical, the calipers give an average of 1.83 mm thickness for the DMxtreme, and 1.53 for the PnS. Materials are comparable and would be identical aside from the smell factor, the PnS has a slight tar odor, but as someone has said, you must put your nose to it to detect. The PnS seems to adhere more easily, forms just as well, and is very easy to cut and work with. I removed my trunk liner, and covered the majority of all exposed surfaces. My trunk is now MUCH more stable, and by stable I mean fewer rattles under music testing, has a "thicker" quality to its clsoing and the backseat itself is quieter at highway speeds. I didn't whip out the accoustical instruments, but I did ride with my girlfriend over the same stretch of highway to lunch and then to dinner only hours apart.

I feel a good majority of the benefits came from PnS on the rear deck behind the backseats, before it had a very tinny feel/sound to it and there were a number of songs which would aquire an industrial tone to them with all the resonances, which there apparently were more than I had noticed becasue not only is the BIG rattle gone, but now I no longer need to keep the gain control for the Basslink set to 50-70%, now it sits around 40-50% with what seems to me the same tone as before.

In short: I am impressed. I am going to use the DMxtreme for the door panels just in case a smell is to develop, or some other materials danger is present. From the looking around that I did on the subject, the stuff appears to be harmless unless ingested. It will burn, though at a higher temperature than the DMxtreme. I would guess that the fumes from the PnS would be more toxic but lets not think about our cars on fire so much as sounding good.

A warning to the perfectionists: Applying this stuff may become addictive, once you notice the initial effects and realize how cheap the stuff is you will try to cover EVERY bare spot of the trunk. Your wife/girlfriend will look at you funny and periodically peek into the garage to watch your legs dangle out of the trunk as you apply roofing sealant to the interior of your $30k luxo-cruiser. Just smile and use that $90 you saved to take her somewhere, she will forgive.

Thanks to the original poster for the tip.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by triggle
Where did you find the PnS in Montreal ? I am not aware of any Lowes stores in Canada.

In Montreal, Rona, Reno-Depot. The product is made by Resisto and is their MULTIPURPOSE WATERPROOFING TAPE as I did not find the Peal & Seal locally and the Resisto stuff works very well and this is the stuff I have used on my 2000 Honda Odyssey Van.

Here is a description on their website http://www.resisto.ca/

Description: Self-adhesive tape made of reinforced elastomeric bitumen and covered with aluminum foil for enhanced protection against UV rays. This membrane may remain exposed without a final covering.

Use: Used for waterproofing roofing details (chimney bases, ventilation fixtures, vents, skylights, dormer windows, glass roofs, ridges, roof valleys, siding, metallic roofs) and other applications (gutters, ducts and piping, cracks, mobile homes, house and other trailers, motorized vehicles, truck cargo boxes, sheds, heavy machinery cabs and bodies, boats).

Thickness: 1.0 mm
Color: Aluminum gray

Dimension and approximate surface covered per roll:
12.5 cm x 10 m (5" x 33') / 13.5 pi2 (1,25 m2)
20 cm x 10 m (8" x 33') / 21.5 pi2 (2 m2)
50 cm x 10 m (20" x 33') / 53.8 pi2 (5 m2)
1 m x 10 m (39" x 33') / 107.6 pi2 (10 m2)

May be painted with acrylic-based paint.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'm starting my sound system this weekend. If anyone has any bad things to say about this stuff, please let me know before I do it. I'm heading out to Reno to buy it this evening.

I'm going to do my doors with it too -- does anyone have any objections to that?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Manic
It will burn, though at a higher temperature than the DMxtreme.

Do you know what temperature the Peel & Seal will burn at? I am using it in my 63 Nova and someone said they thought it was a fire hazard
http://63chevyii.com/the_build/2008/march_april.htm
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
10th Gear

there is a reason this material was made as an EXTERIOR sealant.

translation: if the sun wont burn it, neither will the car.

you can always test with a heatgun or blowdryer if youre not too sure about it.
im going to buy the peel & seal tomorrow!
anyone know the thinckness of this product? sorry if it was mensioned, im too lazy to go all the way back up and read lol
Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

1.53mm for the PnS manic was the one who measured it.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Instructor

anyone know how the peel and seal looks like cuz i went to lowes and couldn't find it. thankss

Quick Reply: Trunk Rattling: Peel N Seal diy