Touch Screen Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Touch Screen Calibration

Was wondering if anyone knew how the calibrate function of the setup works. I touchscreen is a bit off and I need to calibrate it.

The screen shows 4 boxes(top, bottom, left, right) and you cna select them, but beyond that I have no idea. Any sugestions? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm assuming you're on the advanced "diag" screens. The one that shows the test patterns and touchscreen test & calibrate functions.

I've only played around a bit with it. I believe you can adjust from the calibration function to make sure where you touch the screen matches the button you want. If you know which direction the "touch" is off (such as too much to the left or up from where you actually touched the screen). You should just need to hit the appropriate "+" button on the calibration screen in the direction you want to adjust. Then push the joystick to save the change.

You can then test it out on the touch screen test function and fine tune again if needed. Alot of it will be trial and error as there really isn't any feedback on the calibration screen to know how much adjustment you've made. You can reset the changes back by hitting the "menu" button though.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Intermediate

Thanks it does. I was hoping it was a bit more advanced then the trial and error method. Looks like I just need to spend time to tweaking it. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I access this advanced diagnosis menu? I also need to calibrate.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
How do I access this advanced diagnosis menu? I also need to calibrate.

After turning on ignition and the disclaimer appears, you can access that screen by pressing and holding "MAP/GUIDE" + "MENU" + "CANCEL" buttons for a few seconds. This will bring you to the diagnostics screen. From there you can access different informational and setup functions, including the touch-screen calibration.

The calibration screen for the touch-screen can be reset if you get it too far off. It's pretty much a trial and error process. Some of the other functions may not not be as forgiving, so you may want to be careful before changing any of those settings.

There is some cool info hidden there too.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Thank you! I will try this tonight.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Instructor

I tried this calibration last night and it worked great! The touch screen is much more accurate now. Funny thing is that I had a dealer service 2 weeks ago and asked them to calibrate the touch screen (along with a number of other items). When I picked up the car the receipt said "No calibration function available on nav system". Funny that they don't know this procedure. Or perhaps they just didn't want to take the time to do it.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealers/mechanics are known to say "oh you cant do that, there is no option" to people they think dont know better just to get out of doing something they cant make money on.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
AVB for President!

Maybe someone would be kind enough to write up a complete guide on how to calibrate the navi touch screen...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Now I'm starting to wonder if I actually did change the calibration or not. It SEEMED better after I used the calibration function, but it's still a bit off, and no amount of additional adjustment seems to help.

I played around with the calibration screen some more, and noticed that not only can you press the "+" buttons but you can also press the little outlined squares next to each "+" button. But I have no idea what that does. I hate to experiment too much without understanding it. Can anyone explain better how this works?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Solution found! I found a very detailed guide to the navi advanced settings/diagnostics screens in the TSX Forum. Looks like all of these would apply to the TL too. The calibration procedure is clearly described. I'll try this tonight.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12444
Old 04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why you think that is a more detailed procedure. I just tried it and it still doesn't make sense. You touch the four + and nothing seems to happen. No indication of anything (other than if you touched the right squares.

I am beginning to think this is like most PDA's screen calibration. When you first startup your PDA it asks you to tap your stylus at multiple points on the screen and then calibrates based on that.

All along, I thought this screen actually allowed you to "offset" from the current response position via the + keys where it now seems like you just retrain it.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Instructor

As I understand it, the "+" symbols are just for you to test screen presses to see if it responds correctly. For example, if you touch the bottom "+", but you find that the outlined box just above the + responds instead of the + button itself, then you need to tap the joystick down once then press it to register the adjustment. Then try the + again and see if it works better. Wash, rinse, repeat. I've played with this a little and seemed to be getting somewhere, but this interface is so poor that it's hard to tell for sure.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro

Someone has to have the actual procedure for this. Shouldn't this be in the service manual or something? The calibration at thebottom row of the keyboard on my Navi is quite off and annoys my wife and I considerably when we try to punch somthing in.

Anyone with new info or have any conclusive results with adjusting this?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced

I don't know. From my other Post...

OK, this is weird. I did touchpanel check (and used a pen tip) and all tiny square were recognized, but on address or store name entry pushing "S" in middle would bring up "T" (on right of "S") just like before.

Went to Touchscreen calibration. Saw (4) square with "+" next to each. Pushed square, it lit up, tried to move joystick and nothing happened. So I pushed joystick in while holding finger on square for each square. (Screen said "Push map guide to reset parameter. Push Joystick to set it). Pushed "Return". Went to TouchPanel check and now, with pen tip, every thing I push registers the tiny square to the left of what I push.

Weirdest part is I am no longer having the problem inputting address or store name. If I press "S" is brings up "S". Did if fix it and screw something else up by accident since "TouchPanel Check" is off now?

So I don't know if you touch the "+" or the blank squares or what they do?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Thanks, just the information that I was looking for....