Top Tier Audio System Installed...It Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Tier Audio System Installed...It Rocks!!!

I had a Zapco system installed last month. Initially it seemed good; however it seemed the bass was overpowering the mids and highs. So, we dedided to increase the amount of power. The question was "what would be the best configuration?"

See initial install informatin and pics here: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/winxp-sp2-rc2-just-released-144146/

So, after numerous discussion with Pacific Audio of Chico, CA (who by the way kicks butt!!!) and discussions with Zapco, I received the following recommendation that prompted the configuration of my current system.

Here is a quote from an e-mail I received from Robert R. the Director of Technology Support at Zapco:

“Well one idea would be to run the twt off of the 360.4 and then run the mids off the 1000.4. and run the entire system active. What active means is that you run your speakers without the passive crossovers that come with them, and use the electronic x-over in the amp to x-over the speakers. This will do two things one you will be able to dial in the twt and mids separate and also use time alignment on each speaker instead of a pair of speakers. Also the passive networks are designed to absorb a lot of power from getting to the twt, so when you take them out of the system it will actually sound like you are almost doubling your power to the speakers. This whole set up would be definitely a step above ordinary. Kind of difficult to set up and dial in but it can be done.”

Well we did it!!! or I should say the guys at Pacific Audio did it. They set–up the system exactly as described above. Tripling the amount of power to the mids and highs. It screams!!! This is serious studio quality sound. I would put it up against any mid-level system like JL, Memphis, Rockford, etc…not that those are bad systems…they just don’t compare to a Zapco system running active!!!

The main things that changed are the amps: DC1000.4 powering the tweeters, and the DC650.6 powering the Sub and Mids. There is almost 3x’s the power of the previous system and running active, there isn’t anything getting in the way of the power getting the the speakers.

Well enough talking, here are some pics of the final product:

Trunk Set-Up..they sandwiched to sub enclosure between the two amps. Everything was set-up very efficiently. Still have access to the spare and there is plenty of room for golf clubs, luggage, etc…

Laptop Screen of “Digital Programming Network” allows for all system programming to be done from a single PC screen.

Behind the Seat…the sub enclosure was made to .85 cubic feet of air space. This makes for real tight bass…great for SQ. Can hear double bass drums, bass guitar, all levels extremely well. It puts out some serious bump!! I'd put it up against a mid-level 12'' or even dual 12's...it rocks that hard. Great things come in small packages!!!

Stinger Battery…I’ll never run out of juice

Back of Capacitor

Interior..everything looks stock, just the way I like it!! Real pro job.

Another Pick of the trunk

Pics of Car

Thanks again to the guys at Pacific Audio and to Robert at Zapco…they are the best!!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Another Pic
Old 10-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Can I get any love
Old 10-08-2006, 12:03 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
ooooo subtle and pretty. Wish I could hear it. My dilema is that I'm a skiier...I think I want to keep that center hole...is that easy to remove?
Old 10-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leedogg
ooooo subtle and pretty. Wish I could hear it. My dilema is that I'm a skiier...I think I want to keep that center hole...is that easy to remove?

Thanks!! That was the idea...nothing too flashy...just going for top notch SQ.

No, it is pretty much tied in. You would have to have one built to your specs. There is probably enough space where the sub could go to one side, the capacitor or any other device you might have could go to the other, the amp or amps could go top and bottom (like they set up mine), leaving the center pass through open. Just an idea, but I think it would work and would give you plenty of trunk space.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
Thanks!! That was the idea...nothing too flashy...just going for top notch SQ.

No, it is pretty much tied in. You would have to have one built to your specs. There is probably enough space where the sub could go to one side, the capacitor or any other device you might have could go to the other, the amp or amps could go top and bottom (like they set up mine), leaving the center pass through open. Just an idea, but I think it would work and would give you plenty of trunk space.
Chico......your inbox is full.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-Shawn

Thanks for letting me know...just emptied it!!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Leedogg, being an old skier, now full time boarder, I can tell you that without a bag incorporated into the pass through like in my old Jetta you would be crazy to use the pass through for skis or a board it will trash the interior of the TL. Either rack em up or use an SUV for the job and then you can do the stereo upgrade. even if you could arrange the components to allow the pass through I dont think I would be placing my slushy boardsaccross them to drain all over the electronics. my

ChicoOG, if you dont mind me asking how much does a set up like this run?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
K...your mail box is full..
Old 10-08-2006, 02:20 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by pohljm
Leedogg, being an old skier, now full time boarder, I can tell you that without a bag incorporated into the pass through like in my old Jetta you would be crazy to use the pass through for skis or a board it will trash the interior of the TL. Either rack em up or use an SUV for the job and then you can do the stereo upgrade. even if you could arrange the components to allow the pass through I dont think I would be placing my slushy boardsaccross them to drain all over the electronics. my

ChicoOG, if you dont mind me asking how much does a set up like this run?
Yeah i know, I wouldnt put the skiis in there nekid. I've got a hardcase for them
Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 PM
VS#03

K...your mail box is full..
Opps.....my bag, just cleared it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice install
Old 10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

Lean with it, rock with it. Nice chicoOG
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys...there's another guy with an 05 TL running Zapco. He has won a ton of SQ competition awards with the stock HU. Haven't seen him around the boards lately...but his set-up definitely inspired me. Never heard of Zapco until recently, they don't advertise much...just win tons of car audio competitions. Real, real clean power!!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm currently looking at Zapco equipment but no one on this end of the east caost deals them. Why did you choose the DC over the REF amps and using their speakers over say Focals or Rainbows?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by g1underground
I'm currently looking at Zapco equipment but no one on this end of the east caost deals them. Why did you choose the DC over the REF amps and using their speakers over say Focals or Rainbows?
let me know if u find anythign gunder. How much are we talking here anyway?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

I know the REF 500.1 sub amp runs close to 500. The DC amps are a bit more but can be programmed with a laptop. I just starting to really research Zapco. The west coast folks praise them
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I like the flexibility of the DC's, above I showed a screen shot of the Digital Programming System...there is a usb cord set-up just behind my arm rest (easy access). So a PC can be plugged in and the system tuned. If you are not going to run multiple amps and don't need to tune them periodically, then I suppose the Ref's would work...but I would ask Zapco directly...I am relatively new to this car audio thing.

Speakers are a new thing for Zapco. They have been working with an Italian Company ESB since the early 90's. ESB is know for high end home speakers...in 2005 they worked together to develop the Zapco line of car audio speakers. I've only seen one review of these speakers by a car auido expert who ran them through the mill and rated them very highly.

I have heard good things about Focals, MB Quart, and Treo. Never heard of Rainbow.

I would go to the Zapco web-site, they are an extremely helpful group of folks. They have a forum on their web-site and you have some real enthusiast that provide a lot of usefull information. www.zapco.com

It's funny, but most of the high level stuff I had never heard of...it took some digging to find out who manufactures the best of the best...Zapco Amps definitely fit that bill. The JL Audios, MTX, Rockfords are good mainstream systems...but, the TL is a real nice (no ordinary) car, and I wanted a top of the line system...Zapco Amps are the best...time will tell with their speakers, they sound great too me!!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

leedog...go the their web-site www.zapco.com. They have a listing of products and suggested retail. If you want to see some real high end stuff (and real expensive) look at their competion series amps...wow!! Nice stuff, just out of the ball park for me
Old 10-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Cosmic Cowboy

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact Zapco since I'll more or less use their amps and see how'll they match up with by planned system. Your enthusiasm gets me high.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact Zapco since I'll more or less use their amps and see how'll they match up with by planned system. Your enthusiasm gets me high.

Keep me posted...I'd like to hear what you end up with. I am looking at an additional upgrade to my center channel. Go from stock amp to a DC200.1 to ? (I'm not sure what kind of speaker yet) That will set-up all speakers on Zapco. It is real sweat now...don't know if the addition will make that big of a diference, but what the heck
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Keep me posted...I'd like to hear what you end up with. I am looking at an additional upgrade to my center channel. Go from stock amp to a DC200.1 to ? (I'm not sure what kind of speaker yet) That will set-up all speakers on Zapco. It is real sweat now...don't know if the addition will make that big of a diference, but what the heck
ChicoOG, I am curious, what is the cost on an install like this? I have no idea and i am wondering if I should contemplate something like this or if it is just way more than I would consider spending on tunes in my car.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

ChicoOG, I am curious, what is the cost on an install like this? I have no idea and i am wondering if I should contemplate something like this or if it is just way more than I would consider spending on tunes in my car.
Hey pohljm, the install was VERY expensive.... I went far beyond just having "tunes" in my car. I was going for and got an "experience", the sound quality is like being at a live concert...and that is what I was going for, having been a musician and loving music of all kinds.

That being said, they have all kinds of set-ups for casual to extreme listening...they have amps ranging from low $200's to over $6,500 per amp. My sub alone was $650...their high end is $1,050 for one 12'' sub. So, you pick the budget, they will put together a great system for you. These guys are fanatics about their equipment and it shows in the quality product they create.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

very nice install! have you ever considered to have the sub(s) on the sides of the trunk? or does the sub just hit better when its firing to the front of the car like your setup?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
very nice install! have you ever considered to have the sub(s) on the sides of the trunk? or does the sub just hit better when its firing to the front of the car like your setup?

Thanks

Well, it hits real hard in its existing location. But, I didn't experiment with side placement...so I really can't give you an comparison. Everything I have read suggests facing the sub towards the rear of the car for best results.

I had three criteria when setting up the system: 1) it had to sound extrordinary, 2) I had to have access to my spare, and 3) there had to be room to fit my golf clubs...essentially, extrordinary sound, yet practical as a daily driver (I drive approx. 3K a month) The guys at Pacific Audio did a great job coming up with the configuration and setting it up in a real tight package.

The bass is so solid/tight I can feel it vibrate through my gut...it is awesome!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

nice thats the type of bass i love
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

ChicoOG, From your response I can only assume that your system costs several thousand dollars. I guess from my perspective if I was going to spend 5K I would rather enjoy the sounds of a supercharger.

The install looks beautiful and I am sure that it sounds like a million bucks, but that S/C whine is music to my ears. It also seems counter productive to try to create such a high end stereo experience in such an acoustically hostile environment like a moving vehicle. Hehehe I dont spend as much time in my vehicles any more, but I was young once so I can relate to wanting the killer system. I really like that you kept it looking stock and the access to the spare tire! enjoy it
Old 10-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

ChicoOG, From your response I can only assume that your system costs several thousand dollars. I guess from my perspective if I was going to spend 5K I would rather enjoy the sounds of a supercharger.

The install looks beautiful and I am sure that it sounds like a million bucks, but that S/C whine is music to my ears. It also seems counter productive to try to create such a high end stereo experience in such an acoustically hostile environment like a moving vehicle. Hehehe I dont spend as much time in my vehicles any more, but I was young once so I can relate to wanting the killer system. I really like that you kept it looking stock and the access to the spare tire! enjoy it

Thanks for the complement. As far as "counter productive", that's what makes the system that much more impressive...producing studio quality sound in a "accoustically hostile environment". Performance mods start in January (SC and UR Pulley). I am fortunate that it isn't an either/or issue. I have a few things to finish on the interior and exterior (dvd, back-up camera's, aspec, and rrp headlights) Then the performance mods begin. I agree, I think the sc whine will be awesome...I am looking forward to it!! Just starting the research phase of that process at the moment.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
you gonna put up a 10" sub on a 4channel amp against two 12"s? heh, you joking right?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ChicoOG had his system redone as you can see in his avatar. I believe there is another thread for his system makeover.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hektik02
you gonna put up a 10" sub on a 4channel amp against two 12"s? heh, you joking right?
Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
okay, but to say your 10 which isnt even on a class d amp can go against 1 12 or 2 12s is a pretty bold statement. its not about bigger. but its about power and handling. and a 12" 9/10 times are going to push more air then a 10". and that number will ussually be 10/10 times when the 12 or 12s are getting more power and on a dedicated class d amp. i just think you got a little too excited there and made a pretty ignorant statement, heh. (even though this post is old)
Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Not sure the class AB vs. class D argument makes sense here. To my knowledge Mike has no issues with overheating either of his amps - he could probably put a non-vented cover over them and still not have any issues with heat under normal use. Keep in mind his system is SQ oriented and not SPL....but listening to it you'd expect to see more than 2 10's in the trunk. Listen to his system if you ever have a chance...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hektik02
okay, but to say your 10 which isnt even on a class d amp can go against 1 12 or 2 12s is a pretty bold statement. its not about bigger. but its about power and handling. and a 12" 9/10 times are going to push more air then a 10". and that number will ussually be 10/10 times when the 12 or 12s are getting more power and on a dedicated class d amp. i just think you got a little too excited there and made a pretty ignorant statement, heh. (even though this post is old)
Let's not get hung up on size. Installation is everything. All things being equal, same power on a 12" may sound bigger than a 10" because more cone area. However, you can install one 10" sub that will blow away many dual 12" installed badly. Power handling has nothing to do with comparing 10" to 12". Put the same power on one 12" and one 10" installed in the correct box for each and most people will not tell much difference.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not the size of the driver. It's the quality of the performance.

Had to say that