TL-S Sound Settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S Sound Settings

Coming from a '93 Maxima with an upgraded sound system, I was not impressed with the TL-S's. In my opinion and to my ears, the system in the TL-S is tuned with a smile curve- boosted bass and boosted treble. After playing around with it, I ended up with -4 on Bass, -4 on Treble and +2 on the Sub. I did have to turn up the volume a few notches to make up for it but I still have enough volume left for my listening habits. Still not as good as the Maxima's but much closer now. Again, in my opinion. Besides the mis-tuning, it amazes me that this car's supposed premium system is not as good as the one I put in that Maxima 13 years ago!

John
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

I like the "smile" curve on my sound... Everybody's different.

I prefer lots of bass, middle of the road mid range, and lots of treble.

I installed sub woofers in my TL-S, then turned the bass gain WAY down to ease the speakers from stress... man it sounds amazing!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Racer

I know what you mean... I owned a 2007 Camry SE V6 with 440w JBL for a few months before buying the TL. The Camry became a CLAMry...

Jumping in the TL after driving the Clamry I noticed two things right off the bat...

1. The Clamry is a much faster car

2. The Acura stereo sucks!

To go further... WTF is up with 5.1 surround in a car anyway when DVD-A is so difficult to get much less say there's only gay stuff recorded in DVD-A?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Using thinking grenades

What are you dudes on?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Using thinking grenades

Sorry, had to actually work for a second. lol

The TL is the first car I've had that I haven't had to upgrade the stereo. I used to sink quite a bit into sound but I find the TL is fine. Maybe I'm getting old.

What type of music do you usually listen to? I find system is great. The music sounds like it is supposed to, not like "the system"
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by motodaveo
Sorry, had to actually work for a second. lol

The TL is the first car I've had that I haven't had to upgrade the stereo. I used to sink quite a bit into sound but I find the TL is fine. Maybe I'm getting old.

What type of music do you usually listen to? I find system is great. The music sounds like it is supposed to, not like "the system"
Go listen to the stock JBL Premium Head Unit & 8 speakers in the 2007 Camry and then tell me how your TL sounds... FWIW - I listen to anything from classical to 1/2 a Buck (aka Fitty Cent)

The JBL is THAT much better.

Edit: Make sure it's the PREMIUM 440 Watt unit that says JBL on it... The low end unit looks almost identical and the sound sucks.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Like I said... add a sub, and lower the bass on the door speakers.... the outcome is AWESOME...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by onsknth
I know what you mean... I owned a 2007 Camry SE V6 with 440w JBL for a few months before buying the TL. The Camry became a CLAMry...

Jumping in the TL after driving the Clamry I noticed two things right off the bat...

1. The Clamry is a much faster car

2. The Acura stereo sucks!

To go further... WTF is up with 5.1 surround in a car anyway when DVD-A is so difficult to get much less say there's only gay stuff recorded in DVD-A?
"You should of stuck with your peace of CRAP CAMRY !
Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
"You should of stuck with your peace of CRAP CAMRY !
lol

It was faster, and sounded better!!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by jtconte
Coming from a '93 Maxima with an upgraded sound system, I was not impressed with the TL-S's. In my opinion and to my ears, the system in the TL-S is tuned with a smile curve- boosted bass and boosted treble. After playing around with it, I ended up with -4 on Bass, -4 on Treble and +2 on the Sub. I did have to turn up the volume a few notches to make up for it but I still have enough volume left for my listening habits. Still not as good as the Maxima's but much closer now. Again, in my opinion. Besides the mis-tuning, it amazes me that this car's supposed premium system is not as good as the one I put in that Maxima 13 years ago!

John
I'm not sure if you are comparing the stock systems or not.
I owned a '92 Maxima SE with the upgraded BOSE sound system that even had the out-dated AM Stereo mode button. Sold the car almost a year ago so things are still fresh in my mind. It was a nice sound system, but I think the TL's is better. As I recall the sound system was about an $800 option for a non-SE model and part of the SE package. Our TL's stereo is standard. I thought the system had OK midrange, but crappy bass. The back speakers or amplifiers blew a couple years ago and I sold the car with just the two speakers only working.

The Maxima had 4 amplified speakers while our TL has 8. I appreciate the additional dedicated tweeters as well as the sub with our system. If you haven't tried a DVD-A you need to because it changes the way you may think about this system. It's kind of funny to note when I bought my Maxima with the great? BOSE sound system, I thought my '84 Supra had a better sound system than it. So maybe a 1984 Supra had a better sound system than our TL- possibly if you don't listen to DVD-A.

On a sidenote:

Since I'm thinking about the old Maxima now. I should add what a value the TL really is. I remember that Maxima costing my about 19K in '94 used with the optional Driver's side airbag. That car price maps to around 38K now. For 32K in 2006, you get a car safer, more powerful, more economical, navigation system, better handling even considering the Eibach ProKit even had on the max, better sound system, bluetooth, and so on. The only thing I miss is not having the Limited Slip Differential- that's it. Hated those crappy motorized seatbelts. The way I see it if someone feels the need to upgrade they can with the savings of buying a TL. I'm sure $1000 would buy a few mods for you with the best one being the Comptech swaybar.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant that I changed the stock Bose system out. It's too long ago to remember model #'s but I put in an Alpine head w/tape, Alpine 6-cd changer in the trunk, JL tweeters in upper part of door w/JL mids in lower door, Polks in rear deck, Sony amp under seat and Bazooka sub in trunk. As for what I listen to: everything but rap, opera, country, speedmetal, headbanger stuff. Sound is a very subjective thing. Depends on your hearing and what you're accustomed to. I see live music on a regular basis and know what unamplified instruments sound like. I know lots of people like the "smile" curve otherwise it wouldn't be around and equipment wouldn't be tuned to it.