Those who did the conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who did the conversion!

im thinking about doing the navi to dvd conversion
i know there are two products out there right now...one is avelectronics and the other is a unit sold by someone on this board?
also aware that the one being sold on this board is cheaper than what avelectronics offers.
Im curious as to how many ppl did the conversion and have had zero problems with it?
How much did you pay for the unit and install cost?

does the avelectronics unit work the exact same way as the one sold on here? (fm mod)
From what ive read i would need a dvd player and the unit.

is there a quality difference between the two units?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ravi,

I'm in the middle of my conversion. I will be installing the Sokolov box this weekend and testing it all out. I'm also installing LCDs in the headrests so rear passengers have their own screens.

The Sokolov box is the unit being sold by one of the members on this forum. Just do a search for Sokolov. Supposedly the quality of the conversion is better with his box. It is also much cheaper. The difference is his box doesn't contain a built-in AV switcher. So I bought one separately. 4ins, 4outs. It still ends up being cheaper than the AV Electronics unit and if the quality is better, it's definitely worth it.

My sig has a link to the webpage I'm working on for all my custom installs. The webpage is slow going, it's a lot of work, but it will eventually have all the great pics I've taken of my installs as well as lots of explanations.

Rob
Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I got the avelectronic AV switcher, and I love it. I have not had any problems with it at all. Really the only difference is that the avelectronic unit is much easier to install. It's Plug and Play. It took me 20 minutes to install the switcher. It might not have as good of video, but you won't be able to tell anyways. I can live with that since I didn't have to cut any wires.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I got the avelectronic AV switcher, and I love it. I have not had any problems with it at all. Really the only difference is that the avelectronic unit is much easier to install. It's Plug and Play. It took me 20 minutes to install the switcher. It might not have as good of video, but you won't be able to tell anyways. I can live with that since I didn't have to cut any wires.

Sokolov's unit is now plug and play as well
Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Racer

how much is the Sokolov unit going for? i heard its around 400 with the a dvd changer??!?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
main module for video - $275
audiovox dvd player - $150
FM module for sound - $50

if you don't want to do the install yourself, then they can do that for you...then the total price would be $800 (including parts and labor)
Old 01-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ravi...Boyzclub in Richmond can do the install for you....they will probably over charge though.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Racer

yep i contacted them...he was suspose to get me a price on the avelectronics unit but hasnt gotten back to me yet....i'll prob just buy the unit from sokolov and get boyzclub to install.
Btw is the audiovox a single dvd player? what is the model# for it
Old 01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravi
yep i contacted them...he was suspose to get me a price on the avelectronics unit but hasnt gotten back to me yet....i'll prob just buy the unit from sokolov and get boyzclub to install.
Btw is the audiovox a single dvd player? what is the model# for it
From my understanding, yes it is a single dvd player...for the model number, i would suggest that you call them directly to find out

718-851-4817

I believe they are coming out with a plug and play device which they say is fairly easy to install...behind our receiver, there are plugs for pins (20 pins and so forth)...so they're in the process of making those plugs so that way we just have to plug that into our receiver...