Terrible hiss sound even with jl cleansweep coming from all speakers

I have

JL Cleansweep
Alpine Amp Mrd-M501
Kicker Amp 4channel ZX.650
a/d/s 346cs 6.5 component speakers
Diamond Audio 6.5 Hi End Coaxial D661i speakers
2 12" l7 Kickers

There is a hissing sound coming from all the speakers. What is the problem??

(i am still able to use my stock volume knob)

I dont know if my installer installed incorrectly...i can't take it back until this coming friday. Thats why i want to find out what could be wrong with it and see if i can fix it myself.

I really think they dont know how to use the jl cleansweep, but i dont want to badmouth them until i find that out for sure

So what should i do guys?

btw i read the other thread, but that thread was focus mostly on LOC.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Most likely your amp gains are turned up too high. You need to match the voltage coming from the source unit to the amps. This is a common mistake people make thinking that they are adding more power by turning up the gains. I am not sure if the Cleansweep also has input and output gains. If it does then the Cleansweep will need to be optimized like the amps. You can do a search on the web on how to level set your stereo system. There are many articles to choose from. It's pretty simple. Let us know how you do.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Most likely your amp gains are turned up too high. You need to match the voltage coming from the source unit to the amps. This is a common mistake people make thinking that they are adding more power by turning up the gains. I am not sure if the Cleansweep also has input and output gains. If it does then the Cleansweep will need to be optimized like the amps. You can do a search on the web on how to level set your stereo system. There are many articles to choose from. It's pretty simple. Let us know how you do.
okay i'll try it tomorrow afterschool, does anyone got any other advices?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
well, when i turn the amp gains all the way down, i barely hear any hiss. This doesn't really solve the problem, because i brought the amp to use the gain didn't i? so if i dont even use the gain its no point of getting the amp?? im a complete noob in audio stuff, so if i said something that iddn't make sense, just correct me

The jl cleansweep, when i looked at it, i didn't see any input or output gains that i can set.

here is a picture of it
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JL-Audio-Cle...QQcmdZViewItem

it has an aux input that i can mess around with left and right, does that have antyhing to do with it? (top right in the big picture)
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
its not about the gains. I have the rockford 3sixty and still get plenty of hiss its driving me nuts to be honest with you. and especially since the stock amp its on all the time u can never turn off the amps. so when u do listen to music u hear that tssssssssss all the time wich really sucks. I think its cause of the stock amp !!
nothing with wiring or anything like that. im still trying to find a solution so if anybody can help id be more then thankfull.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
also what do u guys think is it better to go after the stock amp or before. cause i saw someone from jlaudio post that they did not want to use the signal after the stock amp but rather before! i didnt try that yet !!!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

ok, the gains have nothing to do with the hiss, i mean turning the gains down will help supress the hiss, but that isnt either a cause, nor a solution to the hiss. Check your grounds, did your installer do a seperate ground for the Cleansweep? Is it scraped clean of all paint? What about your amps? If they look ok, get a DMM and check them on the ohm setting, should be nearly zero ohms when you touch the metal with the DMM.
For more on setting gains, see this >>> http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/gains_video.php

But check your grounds, make sure they are all good tight, and clean connection to metal. If not, try a ground loop isolator, or try taking the signal before the stock amp (what i plan on doing) and that may also help, because any noise coming out of the stock amp, which im betting there is some, will be amplified through your system. So try that and keep us updated!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

i think imma just give up and get a David Navone LOC
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Advanced

This has all been discussed at great length all over the net and all kinds of people have their theory and opinions, most of which are wrong. Bad grounds do NOT cause system hiss.

One REAL possibility is your gain structure. You are hearing hiss. This Hiss is the noise floor. If you are hearing the noise floor then it's not under the S/N of the system. I know, I can make my system hiss. I can also make it go away be setting my gains throught the system properly. I use the Acura factory deck(I have navi), a good quality Line out converter connected to the output of the factory amp. This feeds my amps a high voltage signal (9v or so). What you want to do is set all your components to clip at the same time your HU clips. Here is an article that explains it is good detail and teaches you how to do it without an Oscope. A scope would be best though. http://www.davidnavone.com/heresHow/...evelSet222.pdf

BTW, the gains on my amp are set ALL the way down. By the time I get to 25 on my volume control it's blowing the doors off.

Also playboyace35, I run 2 sets of the a/d/s 346cs's in the front and back and they are amazing components. I love them! Also, i'm not gonna tell you to toss your cleansweep and get a LOC. This is just the path that I took. I may be going with a cleansweep/3sixty in the future as well to defeat the system equalization. Setting your gain structure properly will fix your hiss problem. Email David Navone. He can help you and explain this a lot better than I can. He's very nice and always responds to your questsions. dnavone@davidnavone.com
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wyzard,

Are you using the David Navone LOCs? Do you have their gains turned all the way up? What amps are you using? Did you calibrate your system with an oscope or a DVM? I want to eventually calibrate my system properly (3sixty + JL Audio amps), but haven't gotten around to it. The article you linked to looks like it might work.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Instructor

My music also fluctuate while i drive, my installer told me that most high end cars have a speed sound sensor installed....where if i drive faster, the volume will go higher to make up for the road noise... he told me i can go in to my setting and disable it for certain cars....

I have never heard of something like this, does the tl have that?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You installer should know that the 2004-2006 TL does NOT have a speed sensor which varies volume with vehicle speed. Sounds like he might not really know what he's doing, which is disappointing for you.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Instructor

hm, most likely i wont be able to get any money back, so should i just go up and them to sell me a mono amp at cost?? since i need one for my 2 12" type r's.? you think thats a good compromise?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by playboyace35
well, when i turn the amp gains all the way down, i barely hear any hiss. This doesn't really solve the problem, because i brought the amp to use the gain didn't i? so if i dont even use the gain its no point of getting the amp?? im a complete noob in audio stuff, so if i said something that iddn't make sense, just correct me

The jl cleansweep, when i looked at it, i didn't see any input or output gains that i can set.

here is a picture of it
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JL-Audio-Cle...QQcmdZViewItem

it has an aux input that i can mess around with left and right, does that have antyhing to do with it? (top right in the big picture)
I think you are missing the point completely. You do not buy an amp to use the gains. The gains are only there to level match the previous electronic device in your system. In this case it is the Cleansweep. You are still getting the same power output no matter what. Increasing the gain is only going to increase your system noise as you are currently finding out. Navone knows his stuff and there are plenty of TL's on this forum that are using the cleansweep. There are several threads to review. You may find your answer in one of them.