Terrible hiss coming from all new audio system with factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006 | 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Jaa99pa,

To be honest I am not sure as I just had it installed last week. I am supposed to go to my installer tomorrow for some tweaking, see what wires they used, etc. but with Ernesto breathing down our necks I dont think I am going to make it. I will let you know as soon as I can. And my gains are at like 1 for everything. I can't turn them up at all or I get hiss.
Old 08-29-2006 | 09:10 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Guys, I used regular speaker wire (well, Monster speaker wire) for use in home theater applications. Nothing fancy though. In-wall stuff. At first I thought that might be the problem but after I installed the 3sixty, I realized it wasn't that! I guess it must have been the LOCs.
Old 08-29-2006 | 09:26 AM
Instructor

Fox, good luck with the weather down there! Hopefully there won't be any major damage.

Zax, the wiring was supposedly the big thing when using the Navones. My friend used 14 conducter, 18 gauge wire that he uses for his work on elevators. It's insulated. When i last talked to Navone, he said any hiss is a gain or signal to noise ratio problem. His adaptors are specifically made for oem head units while adding aftermarket amps. That's why i don't understand where the hiss is coming from? And if you lowered the pots on the Navones while tweaking the gains, then i'm wondering if i'll be having the same problem if i stick with these. I don't have a Bluetooth Palm, so things will be getting more expensive if i can't get these damn LOC's to work...
Old 08-29-2006 | 10:25 AM
Advanced

I got the Navone LOC to work well without a signal processor.

I velcroed the LOC right to the factory amp. Then ran a cheap 12' car rca from walmart from the loc to the amp. All signal wires are on the passenger side of the car. All power wires on the driver's side.

I set the LOC dials at full gain. I set the amp to high voltage input with the amp gains at about one third from min. I emailed David Navone for his suggested settings but he never replied.

I have a small amount of hiss but only when the engine and A/C are off which is not how I tend to drive the car.

The LOC wires are only wire capped on for now but I'll solder them after I try one other thing to completely eliminate the hiss if possible.

It sounds awesome but wonder what it would sound like with the 3sixty.

Hope this helps.

Zoser
Old 08-29-2006 | 10:55 AM
Bone stock tl-s

hey zax123, im glad to see you got your system sounding like it should! what did i tell you! that 3sixty1 kicks ass!!! it's perfect for our 5.1 sound systems. and for the price we got it for definitely worth it

btw, your set-up looks clean, nice work! post those pics of it, when you finish up the trim.
Old 08-29-2006 | 12:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

JP,

Thanks for the 3sixty push, I'm so happy I did it and it was really cheap too! And it was a pleasant surprise to find beta Windows Mobile software so I didn't have to borrow a friend's Palm.

I'll definitely post pics when I'm finished with the window-dressing.
Old 08-29-2006 | 12:27 PM
Advanced

zax,

Where did you order your 3sixty from?
Old 08-29-2006 | 12:34 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Got it from www.brandnamez.com. Was very cheap. Problem was they had to special order it so it took about two weeks to get it, but it was worth the wait and I was waiting on a crossover anyway, so it didn't bother me.
Old 08-29-2006 | 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

im going to listen to you and go for the 3sixty (the price is amazing by the way) cause i have the same exact problem as u did. I would like to ask u a question or anybodys oppinion ! - right now i have a 6channel amp. four channels feeding the speakers and the two last ones are made for the subs wich im feeding 2x12" with it. since im not getting much power to them i was thinking to get another amp about 7-800 watts to feed them two and use the ones i have for another 8" sub for the midbase. it lacks a lot right now especially in dance music or trance. what do u guys think about that and wich way would i have to do it to seperate all of them the right way.]

thanx
Old 08-29-2006 | 03:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

BukvaMan,

Here's what I would suggest.

Use one of those last two channels to power the center-channel speaker and get another amp for your subs. If you don't mind me asking, what are your subs? What amp do you have so far? Have you changed the speakers all around? Is the center the stock center?

And yeah, the 3sixty is an amazing price and it's worth it, it made a world of difference to my setup.
Old 08-29-2006 | 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

well right now the center channel is left out of the system. The fifth and sixth channel on my infinity amp is especially made for the subs so i cant use it for speakers. And yes i have changed all the speakers with CDT-ef61cf, the whole thing sounds amazing (maybe it can sound better maybe not but so far im really impressed). Im looking more for sql then spl - i dont need it loud but i like it accurate deep and punchy . Right now i have two 12" infinitys giving them 150rms each wich are rated at 300, i guess im underpowering them - i didnt go that expensive on it cause i dont need it that loud really. well i dont know its my first time doing it anyhow. when i listen to r&b and alike it sounds really good especially those low freq but what i dont get is that punch that is a lot present in dance music. i have a feeling stock sub sounded better for that then now....thats why i was thinking to get another stronger amp for the big subs and use the one sub channel on this amp that i have now for a 8" free air for midbase. just to compensate ! i put in over a 1000 so far and im not really there where i was expecting to be
Old 08-29-2006 | 03:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Wow, $1000 isn't bad at all man. At the end of all this, I've put in at least $2000. In any case, I would think that your two 12" Infinitys should be able to handle the full range of base, and the woofers from your main channels should handle midrange base. I'm surprised they don't. I'd be surprised that adding another amp and an 8" free air would make much of a difference. I'd get the 3sixty first and see what that does for you. It definitely made my bass more punchy.
Old 08-29-2006 | 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

it might be all in the signal. when i disconnect all the speakers and just listen to the subs i can feel some music coming trough them even though they/r crossed at 80hz. regarding the woofers from my 6.5 cdt's i couldnt be more satisfied. I guess the only problem i have is the subs and the hiss. and as u say 3sixty should fix at least one of them if not everything lets see.
Old 08-29-2006 | 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm glad the 3sixty is as good as rockford made it out to be. Now you got me wanting one too. For the price you're paying for it I may jump in too. My Navone LOCs work great but I guess I'm never satisfied. I just dropped a bunch of cash for a digital SLR so I'll have to wait a while b4 I get the 3sixty.
Old 08-30-2006 | 07:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

OK so I gotta ask KOP, which D-SLR did you get? I've always wanted one but just couldn't pull the trigger.
Old 08-30-2006 | 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

We ended up with the Nikon D50. We already have a Nikon N75 film SLR so the lenses are interchangeable. The wife did not want to spend the big cash for the Nikon D80. I did, but you know how that goes.

Anyway,
I'm glad everything worked out for you zax123.
Old 08-30-2006 | 09:33 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Nikon D50. Very nice. Was thinking about the D70 since I have the F65 with a couple lenses.

Well, enjoy your new toy!
Old 08-31-2006 | 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

how did you hook up the inputs for the 3sixty ? _ after the stock amp or before ??
Old 08-31-2006 | 03:35 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Zax...do u have ur own thread dedicated to everything in ur car....your car has to be one of my favorites

crazy canuck

lol j/p
Old 08-31-2006 | 03:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

BukvaMan,

I used the outputs from after the stock amp. I ran some decent-quality speaker wire from the trunk and didn't use any of the stock wiring.

NFL,

Thanks. I am thinking of doing that, but for now, I have my website: http://www.robertcotran.com/persephone which has some but not all of the mods. More pictures are available at http://www.robertcotran.com/persephone/images.

I do have a picture thread in the Photograph Gallery - search for "Persephone".

I have done a lot to this car... one day I'll document it all. But she isn't quite finished yet... still gotta finish the trunk trim for the sound system. It never ends!!!!
Old 09-05-2006 | 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

did u get rca cables with you 3sixty or not. cause i didnt recive any but saw some place on the internet that they are actually included.... I might be wrong thoe
Old 09-06-2006 | 06:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Nope, it doesn't come with RCAs. I doubt very much that it would normally. Perhaps a website had a deal. I'm using some low-quality RCAs right now. I'll be fixing that shortly.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:18 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

zax123,
Where did you get the constant 12V signal for the 3sixty installation? I'm about to install mine in a few days...

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

rodney,

I tapped into the +12V coming straight from the battery and going into my three amps. I just put a smaller gauge wire into one of my power distribution blocks along with the 4gauge cable I already had screwed in there.

Make sure you use constant 12V, cuz a switched 12V signal will not work. There was an error in the 3sixty manual saying to use a switched 12V, but an addendum corrected their error. I ended up missing the addendum and used switched. It ended up blowing my center channel speaker! Luckily, I had a spare.

I used the input signal selecting option on the 3sixty. So it switches on when it senses an input from the stock amp. To do this, you have to open up the sixty and flip a jumper. The nice thing is that this makes the 3sixty provide a 12V remote signal for the amps as opposed to requiring one. Very cool!
Old 09-07-2006 | 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

thats the jumper right in the front of the output rca connections ?? where it says In Rem Out . I guess it must be
Old 09-07-2006 | 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

one more queston ! what do u think if i hook the power for the 3sixty in parallel with the amp. meaning connecting the ground and power wire under the same screws on the amp. would that cause any noise issue .....
Old 09-07-2006 | 09:55 PM
Team Anthracite Member

That's pretty much exactly what I did and I got no additional noise issues. And yes that's the right jumper
Old 09-08-2006 | 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I need your help here !!

I just hooked the 3sixty into my system. From what i see the noise wont be present when i set it up right. Now i dont have the palm yet to set up things... so i tryed without it just to see if it works, the problem i have is that even thoe i have the gains on the amp at minmum and whereever the signal is on 3sixty i get clipping at volume 24...did u have the same problem... or do you need the palm to set it up right.....?? i just hope this is all in the setup im so tired of installing it.
Old 09-08-2006 | 09:50 PM
Team Anthracite Member

You DEFINITELY have to run through the setup so the 3sixty can calibrate itself. I wouldn't rely on any kind of output from the unit without it first going through the setup process. That's for sure. By the way, there is now Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) software for the 3sixty as well...
Old 09-09-2006 | 07:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

well i have a pocket pc but it dosnt have a bluetooth connection. Do u know where can i find the adapter for it, like sd card as bluetooth. all i can see arund are compact flash cards as blue tooth.
Old 09-09-2006 | 11:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Not sure man... Google is your friend.
Old 09-09-2006 | 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

well i got the palm today and did the oem integration and did not do a thing for me. Going out from my stock amp i put rca connectors on the wires cause i ran rca cables to the trunk before. and now i cant turn the volume up past 20 and it really starts to disort. thats even when i have the gains on the amp and on the 3sixty all the way down. I feel like taking everything out and just throwing it in the garbage.
Old 09-09-2006 | 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

i used the rca inputs on the 3sixty not the high level inputs where u gotta screw the wires in. i guess that might be the problem
Old 09-09-2006 | 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

it looks like u cant use the rca inputs for high level signal
Old 09-09-2006 | 03:53 PM
go go go go go

I soldered some female rca connectors on the line outputs directly behind the factory head unit. that signal is not equalized. then from the headunit to the audiocontrol 3 in 1 processor in the glovebox which has the line driver etc... boost line level up to 13volts rms. only time I get the hiss is when the master volume on the audiocontrol is past the halfway mark and its still tolerable.

My amps remote leads are connected the factory amp remote lead. My amps power on/off with the headunit.

When the volume is on 0. the is no noise audible even with the power still on the headunit. like it was powered off.

Try splicing into the back of the headunit for signal. Its a unequalized low level signal.
Old 09-11-2006 | 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

zax123 - how did you hook up the remote turn on. I have it hooked via the signal sensing from 3sixty. Well the stock amp is always on as soon as u turn the key to second postion. The thing is that im still getting some noise from the speaker wich is normal i guess there must be something, even my computer speakers make that much noise too. But i just want to be able to turn of the amp as soon as i turn of the radio. Is there any wire back there to be able to that ??

sorry to bother u but ej what am i gonna do i need some help here

thanx
Old 09-11-2006 | 10:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by donduncan
I soldered some female rca connectors on the line outputs directly behind the factory head unit. that signal is not equalized. then from the headunit to the audiocontrol 3 in 1 processor in the glovebox which has the line driver etc... boost line level up to 13volts rms. only time I get the hiss is when the master volume on the audiocontrol is past the halfway mark and its still tolerable.

My amps remote leads are connected the factory amp remote lead. My amps power on/off with the headunit.

When the volume is on 0. the is no noise audible even with the power still on the headunit. like it was powered off.

Try splicing into the back of the headunit for signal. Its a unequalized low level signal.

Equalization in the Acura TL system takes place in the head unit. That's why people use the cleansweep and 3sixty. To get a flat frequency response out of the OEM deck. Here is a thread on this topic.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=cleansweep
Old 09-12-2006 | 07:50 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Bukvaman,

I used the signal sense from the 3sixty as well. I only get a tiny bit of hiss from the center channel which I am going to work on when I get a chance. Otherwise, there is a remote turn-on at the stock amp, but I have a feeling the stock amp is always on because of the Navi and HFL systems, so using that remote turn on won't help much. If I'm wrong though, that remote signal is only 7 or 8V so you'd need something like a PAC TR-4 to boost it to 12V.

I'm happy with using the signal sense on the 3sixty and I'm going to stick to that...

What you could do is attach the TR-4 to a low-level speaker output of the head unit before the stock amp, but I don't know if that would add any noise to the system...
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

boss one more question for u !

when going through the OEM integration process, since i am not using the center channel should i selcect channel summing or not ?? and what is it anyways?
i am new to this stuff so dont get me wrong
thanx
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

and another one! i want to add more middbass in my car so i seen these speakers http://www.woofersetc.com/index.?fus...roduct_ID=2591. Now i have a 6 channel amp as mentioned before 4 channel for the speakers two for the subs, now i want to put these middbass drivers on to those two channels and get stronger amp for my subs. My question is how do i sepereate all of those u know subwoofer middbass midranege-tweeters. I have the 3sixty. do i need some additional crossover or .....??

Quick Reply: Terrible hiss coming from all new audio system with factory headunit