Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"System" In The Works!

My New Project

2006 TL w/Nav

Equipment List to be Installed

2 JL Audio 10W7's
-Custom Enclosure...Invert mounted with the cone facing rear in a sealed enclosure...rear sealed enclosure will have oval picture window with the inside of the box being laminated with faux marble counter top laminate...front baffle will be bulkheaded to the passenger compartment of the vehicle...
Eclipse PA5432 - Modified Output MOSFET's
Eclipse DA7232 - Modified Output MOSFET's
MTX RE-Q
MB Quart PCE 216 Front and Rear (Custom Modified X-Overs for better roll off and xover slopes)
- Front Component Mounted...Mid Range In Door enclosure...Tweeter in Custom Phase and time aligned tweeter pods...
-Rear Coaxial Mounted In OEM Locations

Fun lil project...i have all listed equipment...I simply couldn't take the lack of sub bass offered by the ELS radio...so the project has began and i'm guessin it shall take me approx 1.5 Months to complete...enjoy...and any criticism...good or bad...is definitely welcome!!!

With this box design there is litteraly no bass in the trunk...no rattles on this vehicle what so ever...also...NO LOC's were used in the installation...I chopped an RCA and tapped the signal from the OEM Radio to the factory amp...and then into a JL Audio CL-RLC i'll post a pic in a few...

-Jason

Last edited by CSWBiggs; 09-08-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks wild man
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Driven to Perfection

That's a very interesting sub enclosure. Is that considered a bandpass?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
nice!! cant wait till the finished product. im gonna start my system upgrade real soon, i think i've put it off long enough. it's alot of work, but it's woth it in the end.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
are you planning on sealing up that whole? Plexi?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro

Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated...

mattster - it's not really a bandpass enclosure ...I designed this enclosure in 2 parts...the front "tunnel or blow-through" enclosure...and the rear sub enclosure...with this design i was able to invert the subwoofers placing the motor structure outside of the enclosure...this allows the motor structure to stay cooler,place the 70+ lbs of magnet structure over the rear "axle", make the actual sealed portion of the inclosure much smaller and in the event that i want to service the subwoofer...I'll just have to remove the rear panel...not the whole enclosure...also, if i wanna change enclosures...i have the ease of just replacing the rear portion...not the whole assy.

jnc2000- no the "tunnel or blow-through" that you see through the back seat is the only way that any sub bass enters through the passenger compartment...so it can not be sealed...in the 3rd photo above...i scribbled an "oval" that will be an acrylic picture window...with marble on the inside of the enclosure...the trunk will be trimmed off in matching carpet/vinyl.

again thanks for the input guys

-Jason
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Pro

lol...things change quickly in this business...so i'm totally bailin on my trusty eclipse amp setup...i've been runnin those for the last 5 years...they just take way too much current to run...so as of today...the JL Audio HD 750/1 monoblocks were recieved by JL Audio Dealerships!!...so the second they rolled outta UPS...i bought them...hehehe...I already purchased the HD 600/4...yum yum...and I called JL Audio to find out why the 10W7's weren't playin correctly...come to find out the sound was the 3rd and 4th order harmonics produced by the mechanical action of the subwoofer driver...therefore coloring the bass...so...back to the drawing board...Ben Ward at JL recommended that I go with 2 12W6v2's in a bandpass enclosure! Tuned to approx 59.7 hz...according to my termpak..i will gain 6-7 db from 30hz - 100hz...in a flat response curve....gonna build tomm...box design is below...

**mod edit**

-Jason
Old 10-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Driven to Perfection

I have a lot of respect for what you're doing. Having said that, I've had Bandpass, ported and currently a sealed box and I love the accuracy and the flat, transparent sound of the sealed box. Currently saving green to get an Uncald4 fiberglass box.

I'm excited to see how your project comes along. good luck!!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Quote - "Cars ride by with the booming system, cars ride by....."

LL Cool J
Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re

Looks like your having fun man and doing great work!!!

IF you could please take step by step pics of the installation of your 4ch amp, especially where it meets the oem amp, this can become a sticky big time if you do that...No threads show a step by step install of a 4ch amp.

Pls post pics while your working on it and explain what your doing and what you are using.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 AM
2013 MDX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks awsome! i wish mine would look something like that lol great work!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
why did you go with jl audio?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Pro

thanks for all of the positive feedback...much appreciated... I wasn't able to fabricate the enclosure for the past 2 days. I've been extremely busy with customer vehicles.

Mattster - Yep...i was goin for sealed because this will be primarily an SQ car...but with the W7's been directly coupled with the car. I was able to hear all of the coloration of the sub-bass...the harmonics and what not. Which normally are "filtered" out by the rear package tray and rear seat. But the downside to that is you will lose a slight amount of transient response and sometimes a funky roll off...not to mention rattles of the trunk space and loss of SPL...so in an application such as this...a 4th order bandpass enclosure naturally "filters" all mechanical and harmonic noises produced by the drivers themselves...unfortunately the JL engineers have told me that the W7's DO NOT enjoy being bandpassed one bit...a correctly designed bandpass enclosure is used a handfull of winning iasca vehicles so no worries...i'll keep you posted as to my progress and thoughts!

RC51 - i rofl when i read that...brought me back to the day!

Italian spak - What info did you need? The 600/4 Full range amplifier is already installed...and has new 16 ga JL wiring to all speakers... Front X-overs are mounted under the seat for adjustability. 16ga running into the doors...(easy as pie) and than 16GA running to the front pillars...I'll Take some pics and give you a right up on whatever you need!

Vietboi - First off...do you happen to play CSS? and second...Just take the time...do some research and make it HAPPEN!!!

eggyhustles - I've been using JL Audio products for years!!! My Store has carried many other brands over the years...Eclipse,Alpine,Kenwood Excelon,MB Quart,Bravox,DLS,Dynaudio,RF (back in the day when their shit kicked ass),ADS,Orion,Focal,MTX,...pretty much you name it we've carried it. We've been a JL Dealer since 91. Great Product. Flexible installation. Amazing Support. Good Warranty. Incredible Durability. Are there better brands...i'm sure there are...but for the value...i've yet to see or hear product better than JL's for the money...it all comes down as a matter of personal opinion...so i'll probably get flamed for this but w/e...I love and stand behind the JL Audio product name PROUDLY!!!

If you have any other questions or comments...feel free to post to your heart's content!

See ya guys and i'll be keeping you posted!

-Jason
Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Pro

re

OK dude, so i want to install a 2ch amp to power my front 6.5 component set from CDT

I basically need a step by step installation to know what to do and what to use to get that amps wiring done right!

Ps: i already a mono block amp running my 12in sub the trunk , its powered with a 4Gauge wiring kit.

Let me know here or by pm how i can do this

thanks alot
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 AM
2013 MDX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vietboi - First off...do you happen to play CSS? and second...Just take the time...do some research and make it HAPPEN!!!
no i dont play css lol dont really play much games.. i actually got a setup going in this week, got 2 JL 10" W3v3 with the JL 500/1v2 amp along with the cleansweep CL441dsp, i wish i had the skills and time to do some custom work but then again im not too handy with things like that lol just got my subs going into a bassworx ported box :S
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Pro

Update...

- Ordered Alpine's PXE-H650 Processor
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PXE-H650-

- Also thinking of swapping my Modded MB Quart PCE's for the Alpine SPX-17PRO's
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=A

an absolute awesome sounding set of front stage speakers...building new enclosures with AP vents in the doors...is in the future!
'
- And i've been so damn busy that i haven't been able to contstruct my enclosure...I have a few tricks up my sleeve

Just a sneak Peak as what I've been up to..

4 12 W7's Ported
4 1000/1's
2 HD 600/4's
4 Sets ZR650's
Motorized amp rack
Kenwood DNX8120
Dual 200 Amp Ohio Generator Alternators...
Full Suede and Leather Interior with Custom Limo Style "Dome Light"

I'll get some more pics of this up later...

-Jason
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would like to see your dual alternator setup when your done with it
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
05 TL

CSWBiggs. WOW!!!!!

That is the most INSANE thing I have ever seen. Is that a show truck or someone that hates everyone in a 5 mile radius? Crutchfield thinks the speakers and amps are worth $14,440. No wires, no install, no extras. I would say this is a 22K install.

Please post more pictures... I would like to see more power distribution stuff. I work in IT, but I really like doing things like that. I would love to hang out there for a week and be your gofer bitch. That is so cool.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Pro

hehehe...was busy on my own stuff today

here's a peek...

This is very rough in nature...it'll be finished...well...whenever i get a chance...lol

I'll see if i can find you some more pics of the tahoe...

and kracker...very very close..total bill was $31k

a few other blast from the pasts...

lol...

-Jason
Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Amazing! I bet there are people on here that would buy a box like you're building for the TL. Hint hint....
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro

almost completed!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow! Great work in progress. My ears hurt just from seeing those subs. What money can buy. Was that red box in a srt8 neon or 300C? I hope it was a 300c....
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Pro

thanks man...srt8 neon...rofl...srt8 charger... supercharged on 24's with air bag suspension...outta control...the things people ask me to do...

Hopefully she'll be playin today...HOPEFULLY...

-Jason
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
thanks man...srt8 neon...rofl...srt8 charger... supercharged on 24's with air bag suspension...outta control...the things people ask me to do...

Hopefully she'll be playin today...HOPEFULLY...

-Jason
Jason the system is gonna be sweet!!! I will hit u up later and see if we can meet up.

-Nico
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro

I have found the Acura TL miracle box!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Please tell!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally somebody porting the box into the interior. That bandpass will make bass out the wazooooo, albeit if tuned properly, which of course it's looks like you know what your doing.

Cracks me up when I see all those single subs back in the corner of the trunk. They have to be cancelling like crazy.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST4DR
Finally somebody porting the box into the interior. That bandpass will make bass out the wazooooo, albeit if tuned properly, which of course it's looks like you know what your doing.

Cracks me up when I see all those single subs back in the corner of the trunk. They have to be cancelling like crazy.

coming along nicely CSWBiggs! cant wait to see the finished product
Old 10-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
nicely done, can't wait to see the finished product as well!!

this picture made me lol though....

who's gonna watch anything from those headrest monitors? no space at all....
i know i know....the subs are watching..........
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM
skaiiz tha limit

**mod edit**

Those little projects are what I look forward to when I wake up in the morning but now since I dont have anymore I'll just wake up to looking forward to YOUR project lol. FANTASTIC work so far! Keep it Up!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro

This is the TL Miracle box...in my years of doing car audio...this has to be hands down on of the most musically enjoyable subwoofer systems I have ever done...it is incredible how the tonal quality is with this setup...the shear volume of the system is tremendous as well as ZERO Rattles...no rear deck...no trunk rattles...no DYNAMAT!!!...i'm not even joking...you can ask Drvn2Modify....ZERO rattles...the box is a lil large...however...when completed...i can still fit 2 golf bags...can't do that with the corner loaded drivers... =P

**mod edit**

Thanks for all of the positive feedback...

-Jason
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NICE!!..pics of the finished product pls...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I hear that the Ordered Alpine's PXE-H650 Processor doesn't respond well with the TL... cause of the EQ settings changing with volume level... did you experience that???

Great work...

My installer designed a similar box on a 3G TL and it is great... like you mentioned... no rattles and perfect sound...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Instructor

heard CSWBiggs system last night....freakin' amazing sound!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drvn2Modify
heard CSWBiggs system last night....freakin' amazing sound!!!!!
I would be interested in hearing it too.

CSWBiggs:

That's some freakin amazing stuff!!

Did you EQ it? I would be interested to see the reponse curve. Did you use TrueRTA to tune it?

SPL or SQ?

What type of Music?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Exactly King of Pain...

What did you use for OEM Integration??? Cause First you mentioned the MTX ReQ and then then Alpine's PXE-H650...

I personally tried the Re-Q5 and wasn't impressed...

I would be interested in your experience...
Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Pro

again...everybody thanks for all of the comments...

King of Pain - NO Equalization in the system what-so-ever...not yet anyways...i haven't been able to reanaylize the system since the new enclosure...some phase corrections...and a few other secret tricks =) as soon as i have those ready i will be postin a picture of my response curve...

rodneyc77 - I'm currently still running the req5 and it works flawlessly...with the exception of the high noise floor...especially with lack of signal...i've been super tied up with customer vehicles and i'm lazy afterwards...so i'm workin on it...my goal is to be able to dual duty the setup...basically a/b the system..

a- everyday listening...aka...bangin the crap out of it...

Front crossover super high...like 120hz w/ 24db/octave slope
Rear Crossover Super high...like 120 hz w/ 24db/octave slope
Sub Crossover ... 80hz w/ 24db/octave slope

No Time Alignment

Appropriate Equalization for everyday listening

b- SQ

Front Crossover... 70 hz w/12db/octave slope
Rear ... DEFEATED!!! No Rear Fill
Sub Crossover... 70 hz w/ 24db/octave slope

Driver Side Biased Time Alignment

Appropriate Equalization for flat response curve...

I always do the most that I can with speaker alignment and enclosure design before i step into equalization...my estimations place my within 4-5 db across the board...so I'm on the right path...only time will tell...

Thanks again...

-Jason
Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM
6th Gear

Great system!!!!! PLEASE don't take offence to this, you know ur shit when it comes to car audio... Why did you not change the factory radio?????

SOX KICK ASS
Old 10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
10th Gear

damn i just got on this site & i just got a tl yesterday.... will you be selling those boxes i want one bad or send spec's of the box to build myself lol.... good shit tho
Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Pro

tsalas...wasn't lookin to do a full headunit swap...the OE system works wonders and looks pretty...and I wanted a OEM integration demo vehicle...so that's where I ended up...our Kenwood representative may give me some of their OEM integration products...

that may be worth a try...

you know...i haven't really though of building these boxes for people here on AZ...how many people would be interested?

-Jason

Quick Reply: "System" In The Works!