System Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Matt! What the hell! I am trying to keep the fever from building! I can totally understand at those frequencies the grill mod is prolly not beneficial, but for those whoose disease has not progessed to a 3 way condition i am trying to understand whats the best trestment!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
Matt! What the hell! I am trying to keep the fever from building! I can totally understand at those frequencies the grill mod is prolly not beneficial, but for those whoose disease has not progessed to a 3 way condition i am trying to understand whats the best trestment!
I was all for it even in my 3-way when I had the midbass playing to 1,600hz. If you don't notice much of a loss with the panel off, I say go for it. I started researching doors and you can find them in decent shape on ebay for $100. You could always attempt to cut the grill in a single piece with something thin to where you can glue back in (if your bass disappears).

OTOH, you have the fever. You might be able to stop it for rising for a while but it will get worse. Just look at me, I'm one of the people the old me felt sorry for.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I am going to wait and see how the symptoms progress! The suppositories my wife has administered seem to be working!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks awesome! Similar path to the one i took! Said i did not feel the need for any additional upgrades, but i left room for a processor! Ha! Real question i have is regarding doing the grille mod (cutting plastic perforations out and replacing with transparent fabric) i know others are against it since bass is increased with it loading against the door panel. But i think on a two way system my ID's sound so much clearer with the panel off. I just am hesitant to make a irreversible change to the panel, but i am so tempted i have the fabric on hand. What are your thoughts?
Thanks! Yes we do have very similar setups. It would be great to be able to listen to some other SQ cars and get a comparison. I swear people where I live are all about "Two Kicker 15's in a Super bass Probox on a 7,000 watt Boss amp!" It's quite depressing.

About the grill mod, I would base the decision mostly on how confident you feel that you can make it look good. If you're a pretty handy person and you think you can do it without it looking jackef

Disregard the premature post above

Looks awesome! Similar path to the one i took! Said i did not feel the need for any additional upgrades, but i left room for a processor! Ha! Real question i have is regarding doing the grille mod (cutting plastic perforations out and replacing with transparent fabric) i know others are against it since bass is increased with it loading against the door panel. But i think on a two way system my ID's sound so much clearer with the panel off. I just am hesitant to make a irreversible change to the panel, but i am so tempted i have the fabric on hand. What are your thoughts?
Thanks! Yes we do have very similar setups. It would be great to be able to listen to some other SQ cars and get a comparison. I swear people where I live are all about "Two Kicker 15's in a Super bass Probox on a 7,000 watt Boss amp!" It's quite depressing.

About the grill mod, I would base the decision mostly on how confident you feel that you can make it look good. If you're a pretty handy person and you think you can do it without it looking jacked up then go for it. If you lose some bass you can always just EQ it back in when you get your processor

If you know someone with an RTA, you might want to have them measure the response with the panel on vs. off so you can quantify the difference and then decide if it's really worth it. Sometimes what you hear can be deceiving because of things like placebo effect and expectation/confirmation bias. If you do find that there is a measurable difference, such as attenuation of certain frequencies then you always have the option of EQ, crossover points, slopes etc. rather than hacking apart your door panel.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-15-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Hope my floor comes out looking like yours. I still need to find some carpet. Any idea's on local "big box" stores that would carry it? Home Depot, Lowes? Totally forgot about it until now
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Hope my floor comes out looking like yours. I still need to find some carpet. Any idea's on local "big box" stores that would carry it? Home Depot, Lowes? Totally forgot about it until now
Thanks! I'm sure it will. It's pretty easy. I bought some black fleece material from a local fabric store. Around here we have Joan's fabric and Hancock fabric. It looks much better than the stuff I bought from Parts Express. Don't forget spray glue and a staple gun if you don't already have one. I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Good idea! There's a Hancock's right next to where I'm going to build this so that'll be perfect. Hopefully they're having a blowout sale on black carpet! A-zine ftw again
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Racer

^^^ I found some quality stuff on clearance for about $7 per yard and it has held up well to dirt and multiple vacuum cleanings.

While this thread is open I might as well post an updated shot of the processor and amp under the passenger seat with the wires cleaned up:

Old 07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

pic isn't working for me
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Works for me now. Nice work!

How many yards did you need to do your false floor? I know width of the fabric might vary, but figured it'd help to have a ballpark number
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Racer

I just bought the remaining amount that was on clearance. I think it was about 3 yards. I still have a bunch left over.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Test fit. Hopefully all the wiring will be clean. No power/ground near RCA's

Still need to carpet today and hook everything up (all wiring is in the trunk ready to go)

I ended up using 1/2" MDF. A little more heavy than the 1/4", but that 1/4" looked pretty flemsy. Too flemsy to have 2 amps, the ms-8, distro blocks and a few boards on it because I'll have to lift it up to access the spare. It looks great and contours pretty darn close to all edges. Should look great once the sub box is in there! The sub box carpet is black and the carpet I bought from Wal-mart (which is damn good carpet btw) is black also. Lets hope it turns out great and powers on with no problems! Might add a few fans (push-pull method) to get some air flow down there at some point. Just not sure how to go about powering them
Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Test fit. Hopefully all the wiring will be clean. No power/ground near RCA's

Still need to carpet today and hook everything up (all wiring is in the trunk ready to go)

I ended up using 1/2" MDF. A little more heavy than the 1/4", but that 1/4" looked pretty flemsy. Too flemsy to have 2 amps, the ms-8, distro blocks and a few boards on it because I'll have to lift it up to access the spare. It looks great and contours pretty darn close to all edges. Should look great once the sub box is in there! The sub box carpet is black and the carpet I bought from Wal-mart (which is damn good carpet btw) is black also. Lets hope it turns out great and powers on with no problems! Might add a few fans (push-pull method) to get some air flow down there at some point. Just not sure how to go about powering them
Looks great so far Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Got this bad boy in the mail today. You should go ahead and pick up another D4 before the price goes back up. The D2's are already back to $399

Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Racer

Update:

I removed the old baffle today and installed the new baffle with the dual Idmax 12's. I decided not to use the L-brackets and JB Weld that I bought, but instead attached the baffle to the braces using some extra pieces of wood as spacers.

I also decided to try birch plywood as some other members have used (Pohljm and Opel I think) instead of MDF . The plywood is very light and much easier to drag in and out of the car while getting it to fit correctly. The only downside is that the plywood vibrates significantly on heavy bass tracks whereas the MDF was dead still. Could be partly due to running 2 12's vs. one... who knows... Either way, I think I will use the plywood in the future just because of the weight difference.

I certainly wasn't as meticulous in doing this install as I was my first because I was mostly concerned with getting it done as long as the final result turned out okay.

First impressions: Output is off the charts. I could barely get the volume knob past 6 or 7 before the car would shake so violently that I was concerned pieces would start falling off the car. I will definitely be turning the gain down a lot once my experimentation phase is over.

Pictures:

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

That's awesome. I really like this setup. I bet those things are loud and sound great doing so. How do you like the really low frequencies?
The following users liked this post:
rich20730 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Liking the exposed fasteners!
rich20730 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Me too!

This makes me want to go back to my plan to use two 13W7s for some reason. Just a pair of 12W7s will have the same output as my 15s.

But back on topic, this looks like a very nice setup.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Any of you guys wanna donate the trunk nubs for the cargo nets?
I could use them
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's awesome. I really like this setup. I bet those things are loud and sound great doing so. How do you like the really low frequencies?
^ Liking the exposed fasteners!
Thanks! Ha. The exposed fasteners were more a product of convenience rather than for their aesthetic properties.

My wife is out of town and I am watching my one year-old this weekend so I haven't gotten a chance to run a new tune or fully audition them for SQ, but I have experienced their low-end ability. I would say it's outstanding

I have a low frequency bass playlist that I use to test out new subs. Here's a list if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to get additional suggestions too.

1. Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip
2. Young Jeezy - Put On, Soul Survivor, I Luv It
3. Bassotronics - Bass I Love You (Be careful with this one. I bottomed my Idmax on it)
4. Young Buck - Taking Hits
5. Drake - Successful
6. Lil Wyte - Hoods Run Down
7. Lil Jon - Rep Yo City
8. T-Pain - Can't believe it
9. Mariah Carey ft. Jay-Z & Young Jeezy - Shake it off (remix)
10. Kanye West - Love Lockdown
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Have you considered the possibility that the increased clarity with door panel off might be due to the reduction in bass? Try turning the bass down and see if your clarity comes back.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Have you considered the possibility that the increased clarity with door panel off might be due to the reduction in bass? Try turning the bass down and see if your clarity comes back.
That is something I've thought about before. I guess the easy solution would be to bring the highpass up to something like 800hz and try it with the panel on or off. With my 10s only playing 60-320hz, it's obvious that the door panel greatly boosts the bass output. This is something that I would have pursued if I was till lowpassing the doors up higher but not it doesn't matter for me.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks really good!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Racer

Thanks Jerry!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rich20730
Thanks! Ha. The exposed fasteners were more a product of convenience rather than for their aesthetic properties.

My wife is out of town and I am watching my one year-old this weekend so I haven't gotten a chance to run a new tune or fully audition them for SQ, but I have experienced their low-end ability. I would say it's outstanding

I have a low frequency bass playlist that I use to test out new subs. Here's a list if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to get additional suggestions too.

1. Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip
2. Young Jeezy - Put On, Soul Survivor, I Luv It
3. Bassotronics - Bass I Love You (Be careful with this one. I bottomed my Idmax on it)
4. Young Buck - Taking Hits
5. Drake - Successful
6. Lil Wyte - Hoods Run Down
7. Lil Jon - Rep Yo City
8. T-Pain - Can't believe it
9. Mariah Carey ft. Jay-Z & Young Jeezy - Shake it off (remix)
10. Kanye West - Love Lockdown
When my daughter wants to check my progress and see if its up to her standards she always puts in Tyga
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Racer

When my daughter wants to check my progress and see if its up to her standards she always puts in Tyga
I must be getting old because I have no idea who that is
Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

um, well I am old and I did not have a clue who it was either, and the scary thing is if you have ever heard the lyrics to his songs and then you realize thats one of your daughters favorite artists.............Well I just dont know what to say.
But its kinda fun to sing along with......"I got a bad ass bitch bouncing on my dick" "Rack city bitch" is a good bass test.
Oh and i especially like the thought behind "Bitch better have my money" bring my a hundred keep twenty!

Last edited by pohljm; 07-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.
TylerT (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Beautiful work-congrats.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Beautiful work-congrats.
Thanks!

um, well I am old and I did not have a clue who it was either, and the scary thing is if you have ever heard the lyrics to his songs and then you realize thats one of your daughters favorite artists.............Well I just dont know what to say.
But its kinda fun to sing along with......"I got a bad ass bitch bouncing on my dick" "Rack city bitch" is a good bass test.
Oh and i especially like the thought behind "Bitch better have my money" bring my a hundred keep twenty!
Haha! Well I can't say the lyrics from my generation are much better. Meaningful lyrics would probably just distract from the sweet bass notes anyway. It's mighty generous of him to let her keep 20 percent. Pimps provide a valuable service and these ho's need guidance!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
um, well i am old and i did not have a clue who it was either, and the scary thing is if you have ever heard the lyrics to his songs and then you realize thats one of your daughters favorite artists.............well i just dont know what to say.
But its kinda fun to sing along with......"i got a bad ass bitch bouncing on my dick" "rack city bitch" is a good bass test.
Oh and i especially like the thought behind "bitch better have my money" bring my a hundred keep twenty!
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Haha! Well I can't say the lyrics from my generation are much better. Meaningful lyrics would probably just distract from the sweet bass notes anyway. It's mighty generous of him to let her keep 20 percent. Pimps provide a valuable service and these ho's need guidance!
LMFAO
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Drifting

oh..this is horrrrrible lol
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
oh..this is horrrrrible lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqhD7dnGuI
That's the kind of dude I would love to catch in a dark alley, show him he's not all that.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to my world! he's only like 145lbs! alley...nah, he would be rollin in his gold plated R8 anyhow. come to think of it the rotors were all rusty i dont think he ever drives it its a trailer queen.

Last edited by pohljm; 07-15-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
^^^ I found some quality stuff on clearance for about $7 per yard and it has held up well to dirt and multiple vacuum cleanings.

While this thread is open I might as well post an updated shot of the processor and amp under the passenger seat with the wires cleaned up:

What are the dimensions on that board? I've considered doing the same, not sure how much I can fit down there
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Racer

^^^It's 13" wide and 10" deep
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

How you liking the dual IDmax's?

On the ID xs's, did you make any more adjustments on the EQ after your h660 did its thing? After about 6 different tunes on the ms-8 mine is sounding GOOD. My only small issue is a VERY slight sibilance. My ears are pretty sensitive and I pick up a slight sibilance somewhere that I need to try and track down, but I figured I'd see what you've found. Our mids are pretty darn close the same and we've got the same tweets.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Racer

The IDmax's are great. Hopefully I don't go deaf testing them out. I tried sitting in the back seat while playing some Young Jeezy and the punch in the back was enough to make me feel nauseous. Still haven't tried any SQ listening yet.

I tried a few EQ adjustments with the XS-65's, mainly based on RTA measurements rather than problems I was hearing. The auto tune from the H660 sounds pretty good to me so I usually end up reversing the changes I make or only boosting or cutting 1-2dB's.

The RTA did show a slight peak around 5-7khz which could cause some sibilance. You might try cutting there to see if there's any difference.

As a caveat, based on my brief experience with EQ and tuning, I've concluded that I have no clue what I'm doing and everything I do is pretty much trial and error.

I'd like to try out a more powerful EQ sometime to see if I'd get a better feel for it by playing around with some more drastic adjustments. I've been eyeing the Zapco DC amps for a while since they have 10-bands of parametric and each channel can be EQ'd independently. I figure that would be cheaper than throwing down $700-$800 on the PXA-H800 and it would give me an excuse to replace my ugly Sony Xplod amp.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Drifting

all zapco in your near future?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
all zapco in your near future?
Lol. Is your name Eggy because you like to egg people into spending all their money on high end audio equipment?

That would be nice though. I'd like to experience for myself what a "SQ" amp sounds like. I'm curious to see if I can tell the difference between a Zapco and a Sony. Maybe I'll be able to get a good deal on the current model DC's if the new ones ever become available.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I tried a few EQ adjustments with the XS-65's, mainly based on RTA measurements rather than problems I was hearing. The auto tune from the H660 sounds pretty good to me so I usually end up reversing the changes I make or only boosting or cutting 1-2dB's.

The RTA did show a slight peak around 5-7khz which could cause some sibilance. You might try cutting there to see if there's any difference.

As a caveat, based on my brief experience with EQ and tuning, I've concluded that I have no clue what I'm doing and everything I do is pretty much trial and error.
Thanks. I'll break out the RTA (iphone 4 lol) and see what it says in that area. Not sure how accurate it is around there, but we'll see what happens when I bring it down a a few db's. To be completely honest I don't think it's the setup/sibilance, I think I might be my ears. My left ear has always crackled and rang with any sort of long exposure to loud noises. I have no idea what might help it. Doesn't help that my allergies are HORRIBLE. Thanks Oklahoma wind.

I'm still amazed at how many people bypass the cxs or xs speakers for anything HAT, Focal, etc for 3x the price. On about 3 different occasions I've seen someone say they closely compare the cxs/xs to the L6. Never heard the L6's, but they seem to get high praises, which is a good thing for us! lol

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: System Complete!