Subs or components, which should I get 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subs or components, which should I get 1st?

I definitely need to upgrade the stereo system in my car but don't know which I would be happier with.

Here's the deal:

I have a 08 TL-S and hate the stereo. My 08 Altima without Bose sounds sooooo much better. I don't understand being that the ELS is supposed to be a "premium" system.

A little background:

I used to have 2 12" subs at around 600 watts RMS in a bandpass box and liked it at the time but don't want to rattle the shit outta my trunk.

I also used to have another car with Pioneer components and no sub and liked that but I always found me wanting more bass.

What I want:

I always turn the volume up/loud and enjoy good quality, loud, clear, crisp, powerful audio systems.

My question:

Will I be happier with a good 10" or 12" in a custom box maybe similar to the "miracle box", or should I get great components to replace factory speakers and amp them up?

I would definitely like to hear from people who have the same likes and goals and from people who have one or the other and even both. But as always, I appreciate any and all constructive advice.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
First things first:

1. Budget?
2. What do you listen to?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice, get a sub and then run a IPOD/MP3 player through the AUX port. The radio in the TL stinks. But running sound through the AUX port is 100x better sounding to where you can hold off on the component upgrade.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Using AUX input is better but not good enough.

Budget < $600. I would like to get the biggest bang for the buck but am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" so......

Note: I am leaning towards getting a 12" sub with a custom box similar to the miracle box but am not sure.

Note 2: Local audio installer quoted me at $350 for custom box for 1 12" similar to the miracle box. Is this a good price?

Suggestions?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by cnauticav
Using AUX input is better but not good enough.

Budget < $600. I would like to get the biggest bang for the buck but am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" so......

Note: I am leaning towards getting a 12" sub with a custom box similar to the miracle box but am not sure.

Note 2: Local audio installer quoted me at $350 for custom box for 1 12" similar to the miracle box. Is this a good price?

Suggestions?

You could piece something together for a budget around $600 right now (subs, 4 channel amp, components) if you wanted. Granted your system will sound better if you build it as you go but its completely up to you! I'm guessing you don't have an amp either correct?

Now...answer the 2nd question. What do you listen to?? Do you want more of an SQ system or do you want as loud as you can for your budget?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

I mostly listen to 65% Hip/Hop and 35% Rock. And no, I don't have an amp anymore.

Lastly, it's not that I want everyone else to hear my music or that I want it as loud as possible. I just want to the capability of listening to my music at low, mid, and loud to very loud levels without it sounding like crap. Quality > quantity.

For Hip/hop, I want great bass and good mids and highs. For rock, I want to hear the guitar solos and drums.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I mostly listen to 65% Hip/Hop and 35% Rock. And no, I don't have an amp anymore.

Lastly, it's not that I want everyone else to hear my music or that I want it as loud as possible. I just want to the capability of listening to my music at low, mid, and loud to very loud levels without it sounding like crap. Quality > quantity.

For Hip/hop, I want great bass and good mids and highs. For rock, I want to hear the guitar solos and drums.

Hope this helps.

So you need amp, amp kit, sub(s), and components. Sounds like your looking for EXACTLY the same thing as I am. I listen to the same stuff with some country in there also (oklahoma...yeah thats right!). But I'm trying to piece something together that will hit the lows with authority but retain good midbass and be punch when I need it to be. Thing with bandpass is it can get REAL ugly if not done right...as in boomy and sounding like shit! Once I can get my DD's sold i'll start building up something....

Edit: HELL NO! on that $350 bandpass box

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Processor to clean up the signal
comps + amp
then sub
Old 09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Cool. Not the country part, but everything else sounds good. lol. Anyway, keep me updated on what you deside to go with and in what order.

As far as the sound processor. Is this a must? Does it really make a big difference? I am willing to get one if it will help me reach my goal mentioned above. Quality>Quantity.

Here's another question. Should I even consider OE replacements like 2-way or 3-way speakers to replace OE speakers or is the component setup much better. If there is not that big of a difference, can I upgrade current stock speakers without amp for now?

As you can probably tell, I am not that well versed with audio systems but I only want to buy and install the system once and be happy so the more info the better.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

As you can probably tell, I am not that well versed with audio systems but I only want to buy and install the system once and be happy so the more info the better.

Components w/ amp...../settles that
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were me then I would get a decent sub in an enclosure and pick up a 4 channel amp. Bridge 2 channels to the sub and have the other two power your front stage. You will have to get a crossover or caps for the stock set up but they will have decent power going to them. You might be ok with how this sounds for a little while. Then you could pick up a decent set of components later and you'll already have the amp to power the fronts. The rear will be fine with the stock set up. I think that the most dramatic change you will make in a stock system is to add sounds that are not there yet. The components will certainly improve the sound but it's improving sounds that are already there not like a good sub which will bring a dimension to the system that is missing.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use to run a 4-channel amp for the speakers and a mono for the sub. Never used a 5-channel amp before but i'm starting to like the idea. Maybe consider a 5 channel amp yourself.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

After reading the replies,(thanks btw) and really thinking about what I want, I will be starting off with a sub and amp. I agree that by adding a new sound element could be a great start to upgrading the system.

I will be going with a single 12" sub and amp to power the sub and front stock speakers. I never even considered this as an option but sounds to be the best option for me. So now comes time to picking out the equipment.....

I know a lot of the members here are JL fans and I am as well. A while ago I had a single 12" JL sub with a cheap kenwood amp in high school. I have always liked JL but have heard really good things about the new Alpine type R. I also have read that there are other brands out there that a lot of people like a lot like DD, Pioneer, ....... so I am not ruling these out but unless someone can tell me other wise, I think I may start looking for a good deal on a JL, maybe w6 or similar, or the new type R. Pretty big price difference???

If you guys had to do it all over again, had less than 600 to spend, let me know what you would pick out and why.

Lastly, I know the box construction and the specs play a BIG part on sq and spl so being that I want betting quality, please consider some box options for me as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Drifting

If you're worried about sq, the first thing to do is swap those stockies out and deaden the doors
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
If you're worried about sq, the first thing to do is swap those stockies out and deaden the doors
I guess then what I mean when I say I want sq is that I don't want my overall audio experience to sound like shit. I say this because I used to have whatever I could afford at the time and throw it together without much thought. I now want to do this right the first time and would like to have a great quality, better sound system.

I am half way through reading CSWBiggs post on his system and have been learning quite a bit.
Btw, that first video he posted is insane! I was in a car similar to that at a car show years ago and I remember how it would rattle my eye balls and make my eyes water. Crazy.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

+1 Gazillion! If you want quality sound...you'll get that from components and an amp to start with.

But since you want a sub/amp first then we can help you b/c that's what ya want! Don't forget that in your budget of $600 you'll need an amp kit and box also! And possibly an install charge if you can't do it. There is nothing "budget" about JL (new at least), Pioneer sucks (subs/amp wise), and your gonna need just your budget for an amp to run DD's haha. Some good places to start looking would be www.onlinecarstereo.com, www.woofersetc.com, www.sonicelectronix.com. They've got some good stuff and some really bad stuff so don't start buying just yet! Just incase you don't know, when your looking at amps most of the given RMS is complete bs. Unless your buying a proven amp, an ID quality amp, or a higher-end brand name amp...they'll be quite a bit higher on their RMS readings than they should be.

For subs, start looking at the Sundown SA, SSA dcon, FI (really good SQ supposedly), RE SEX, Audioque Street Duty. There are more but I need to get back to studying haha. All of these will give you MUCH better quality components than most name brands...along with great customer service b/c these are hand built by the person you talk to when you call them! ID companies are the way to go in car audio..no doubt there.

I'll help with amps tomorrow
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL-Noob

For subs, start looking at the Sundown SA, SSA dcon, FI (really good SQ supposedly), RE SEX, Audioque Street Duty. There are more but I need to get back to studying haha. All of these will give you MUCH better quality components than most name brands...along with great customer service b/c these are hand built by the person you talk to when you call them! ID companies are the way to go in car audio..no doubt there.

Thanks. I never heard of these subs but that's why I'm asking so thanks for the info.

Studying sucks. That's why I'm on here. Test tomorrow but I've probably already retained all the info I'm going to so.......

In the meantime, I will look into the above subs and we'll talk about amps tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TL-Noob
+1 Gazillion! If you want quality sound...you'll get that from components and an amp to start with.

But since you want a sub/amp first then we can help you b/c that's what ya want! Don't forget that in your budget of $600 you'll need an amp kit and box also! And possibly an install charge if you can't do it. There is nothing "budget" about JL (new at least), Pioneer sucks (subs/amp wise), and your gonna need just your budget for an amp to run DD's haha. Some good places to start looking would be www.onlinecarstereo.com, www.woofersetc.com, www.sonicelectronix.com. They've got some good stuff and some really bad stuff so don't start buying just yet! Just incase you don't know, when your looking at amps most of the given RMS is complete bs. Unless your buying a proven amp, an ID quality amp, or a higher-end brand name amp...they'll be quite a bit higher on their RMS readings than they should be.

pioneer doesn't suck

Their shallow mount subs are pretty decent along with their premier amps
Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Racer

Check out this site if you haven't already:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

There is a lot of information out there for car audio. Also, they have a decent classified section for deals on used gear or the "hot deals" section. As always you should be careful on who you buy from. I don't have any experience with purchasing anything from there but I've had questions that were answered when I had my old car.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sddale
Check out this site if you haven't already:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

There is a lot of information out there for car audio. Also, they have a decent classified section for deals on used gear or the "hot deals" section. As always you should be careful on who you buy from. I don't have any experience with purchasing anything from there but I've had questions that were answered when I had my old car.
Thanks. I haven't checked it out yet but I will.

Here's another question;
I have been looking into the component setup for the front stage and want to compare it to an aftermarket 2-way speaker replacement. Looks like components come with a woofer which are just for low and mid range, right? Then it comes with a separate tweeters for highs. Then the crossover for the whole install. Makes sense but is it really worth the extra money and hassle of installing over getting good 2-way speakers?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Racer

Yes components are worth the hassle. I wouldn't even consider putting some kind of coax speaker down there.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Processor to clean up the signal
comps + amp
then sub

This.... IMO, the 1st thing you want to do is clean up the signal for sustained happiness. They get a decent amp and some good comps. Then worry about the sub.

here is my reason why...

1. You dont have enough $ to really do it all right.

2. Processor and comps are going to take the most $ because of getting a quality product and the time invested in the labor or the cost invested for the labor.

3. Once you have your car wired for amps, its easy, and relatively cheap to swap subs /enclosures.

If you dont get a processor, and you are really looking for quality SQ, you will never be satisfied with the sound and wonder if its the speakers or the signal.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you don't have to spend much to get a decent sound system. get yourself a good 5 ch amp. Buy some coaxial polks db651 and get a cheap type r 10" in a small enclosure. with this set up you would probably be expending around $500 the most and u'll a really good sounding system for yourself.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I think you're going in the right direction with the sub/amp and then amp for the comps.

The one thing I would do differently if I had it to do over again is run just one 12W6 in the miracle box and amp my stock comps first.

With this particular box, it's so efficient that two 12s are not required unless you want to be heard around the block. I have the gains set so incredibly low over what I had them with the same subs in the sealed box and there's practically no excursion. I can put in a 30hz test tone that's vibrating the roof badly on the outside and there's hardly any excursion from the subs. You have to look close to see them moving.

IMO, amping the stock comps makes a huge difference in SQ and you get the extra volume. I've been running my stock rears amped for a couple years now and they have not failed yet. Of course, it requires them to be crossed at 100hz or higher but the miracle box will hit 90hz and sound great doing it so it relieves a lot of pressure from the mids.

You sound like you're going to eventually do it all. So I recommend sub/amp, comp amp, and comps. I've been looking at processors but different people say different things. My local stereo guy said not to bother. Opinions are all over the place. I plan on giving it a try eventually when I have $900 to spare with the main reason being I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of tuning and some of the processors basically do it for you or get you in the ballpark.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think you're going in the right direction with the sub/amp and then amp for the comps.

The one thing I would do differently if I had it to do over again is run just one 12W6 in the miracle box and amp my stock comps first.

IMO, amping the stock comps makes a huge difference in SQ and you get the extra volume. I've been running my stock rears amped for a couple years now and they have not failed yet. Of course, it requires them to be crossed at 100hz or higher but the miracle box will hit 90hz and sound great doing it so it relieves a lot of pressure from the mids.

You sound like you're going to eventually do it all. So I recommend sub/amp, comp amp, and comps. I've been looking at processors but different people say different things. My local stereo guy said not to bother.
The audio shop I got a quote from said not to worry about a processor either. I'm glad to hear you have a system that you are happy with and I can't wait till I get my system going.

*Update
I got final authorization from the Queen to spend as much as I feel like paying for my system. lol.

Good news is that I can now look at getting what I want and not try to half ass anything.

Bad news is, I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on this so let me know what you guys think.

This is what I'm thinking of doing so far.

I got a quote from a local audio shop to build me a custom box for a single sub similar to the miracle box. I have the sub and amp picked out so I got that out of the way.

I will then buy a decent amp for the front stage and see how that sounds like for the time being. I'm looking at a 4 channel amp for the 2 front and 2 rear. How does this sound?

Ideas, suggestions?