Subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subs

I have so much rattling b/c of my subs (2 10' kicker L7'S) how do i eliminate it???.....I also need help on knowing the best way to position the subs...keep them facing out towards the trunk or keep them facing in towards the car? I turn my subs on and in my 07 tls i am not able to hear the bass as much as i outside my car but in my 2002 tls I was able to hear it in my 02 tls so much louder and not to mention my 02 hardly rattled compared to my 07. Help plz guys...any suggestions
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Facing backwards will give you quite a bit more bass but also more rattles. I tried turning mine forward and had to double the gain on the amp for the same volume level. Luckily I have overkill in the amp/sub department. Then I sealed the trunk off and got a little more volume but not as much as with them facing backwards. They sounded a little flatter but more natural facing forward. The nice thing was I could really crank it with no rattles from the rear but eventually faced them rearward again.

One thing that helped temporarily is I bought a strip of cork which I wedged in between the rear window and deck that is not visible but made a huge difference in vibration. I also lowered the crossover frequency and now the only rattle is from the driver's side door and only at very high volumes. I plan on dynamatting the whole car starting with the trunk when I get the spare time.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced

when u say forward..u mean facing towards the truck or do u mean facing inside the car?.....i turned mine facing in towards the car and the bass at first seemed more and now it doesnt. I have a trunk kit with my dynamat but it still rattles. do u know how to increase the bass that comes out from inside the car. my old tl if i had a window down and i stood outside the car i could hear it and it was loud...but its just not happening with my subs now? from a distance i can hear the bass but if i stand right outside of it i cannot hear much bass....lots of rattles though
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
By forward I mean toward the front of the car. As for the rattles, my biggest one was the license plate. To cure it I removed the frame since it looks better that way and installed the two lower bolts that the car didn't come with but has holes for.

Not sure about hearing the bass outside. I had the same subs in my GN and it was pretty loud outside. Had an old 15" CerwinVega that sounded louder 15' from the car than standing right next to it. In the TL the bass can be to the point of being uncomfortable inside but not that loud on the outside. I think the whole car needs to be dynamatted. It actually scared me how much the roof of the car was flexing when the stereo shop was trying to tune my amp. This is just my experience and maybe just coincidence but the bigger the sub, the louder it seemed on the outside. My two W6s are the best sounding and some of the loudest I've owned but also the quietest on the outside which I prefer.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced

ok i got you.....i like my bass loud on the outside and inside.....i love the feeling of people knowing i am approaching when they hear my bass......but i just dont know how to make the bass louder coming out of the car and thats why i turned the subs forward rather thn facing backwards. I always imagined it would be louder facing forward....why is it the opposite?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Advanced

unfortunately my whole freakin truck rattles!!....i spent like $200 on dynamat and it didnt do shit. I have no idea what else to do. I fixed my lic. plate but the trunk cannot be fixed it seems like.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sub.

Originally Posted by 2007 TLS
unfortunately my whole freakin truck rattles!!....i spent like $200 on dynamat and it didnt do shit. I have no idea what else to do. I fixed my lic. plate but the trunk cannot be fixed it seems like.
Brownbread may be a cheaper way to go, google it and I think it runs cheaper to order it online. I used it on my old truck. When you do dynamat/brownbread, make sure you cut it into 6"x6" and leave an inch or space between. If you can afford it, cover it all with another layer on top.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
By forward I mean toward the front of the car. As for the rattles, my biggest one was the license plate. To cure it I removed the frame since it looks better that way and installed the two lower bolts that the car didn't come with but has holes for.
You can use some 3m spray glue from home depot to stick a piece of thin carpet, the kind of thin grey carpet people use to cover subbox, underneat the license plate, it will cure the rattle 100%.

I have so much rattling b/c of my subs (2 10' kicker L7'S) how do i eliminate it???.....I also need help on knowing the best way to position the subs...keep them facing out towards the trunk or keep them facing in towards the car? I turn my subs on and in my 07 tls i am not able to hear the bass as much as i outside my car but in my 2002 tls I was able to hear it in my 02 tls so much louder and not to mention my 02 hardly rattled compared to my 07. Help plz guys...any suggestions.

I wonder how it would sound when you have the stock sub taken out, with the sub facing forward/backward. Have you tried it?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Advanced

no i have no ttried that yet.....i used the dynamat trunk kit already in my trunk....i am not sure if putting an additional layer on top will solve the problem or o rnot. If i knew of the way u were talking about b4 i dynamatted my whole trunk i would of definately done that. The stock sub is enclosed and i cannot find a way to get it out.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Trial & Error

no i have no ttried that yet.....i used the dynamat trunk kit already in my trunk....i am not sure if putting an additional layer on top will solve the problem or o rnot. If i knew of the way u were talking about b4 i dynamatted my whole trunk i would of definately done that. The stock sub is enclosed and i cannot find a way to get it out.
If you just put a whole big sheet of dynamat on already, there is no point for you to put another layer on top, doing so will just add more weight. The idea of leaving space in between 6"x6" patches is to provide better absorption on vibration and it is cheaper. Putting a full dynamat sheet on top of another full sheet does not help.

You should turn up the system, walk around the car to see where the rattle comes from. Once you find the spots, put your hand and apply light pressure to see if the rattle would stop. If yes, may wanna try adding a small patch of dynamat on the spot. However, you can simply fix the rattle by just inserting some foam or cloth in between 2 surfaces if the rattle is caused by two surfaces hitting each other. Sometimes cheap fix works the best!!

Once you fix all the rattling, you should get tighter bass and it will sound louder, with correct fine tuning!! I find it hilarious when I hear major rattling outside when people crank up their systems. I automatically assume that the person does not know what a good sound system is, I know I know, assumption may be wrong.

I would try to take out the stock sub (do a search and there should be instructions of how to take the stock sub out) to see if it makes any difference, with the sub box facing forward or backward.

In my old truck, it sounded better with the sub facing the trunk because it provided better sound stage with the trunk reflecting the bass to the front, but it was an open trunk. It sounded the same no matter where you sit in the car. I miss that setup!!!! However, this is my first 4 doors car and I am still doing research on the best setup, placement of equipments. I would be interested to see how it turns out on yours if you try to take the stock sub out. It may be just like having a ported box (with the whole trunk working like a box). You just have to experiment with different setup to get the best sound you like.

Hope it helps. keep us posted if there is any update.

Peace,
Jack