Sub Enclosure Port Through Stock Sub Hole

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sub Enclosure Port Through Stock Sub Hole

Hey Guys,

I'm ready for my first TL mod, and I have my sights set on the audio system. I was considering a single JL 12W7 sub and a Monoblock amp (haven't decided what kind yet). I will be building a custom box, and I wanted to get some input before I start my design.

I will be removing the stock sub for this mod. What I want to do is port the sub enclosure on the top and extend the port all the way up to the base of the stock sub opening under the rear deck. This way, all the bass is coming into the car and not rattling the rear body and/or deck. My enclosure design will encase the entire sub. The front will have some heavy duty plexi for a window (so the front of the sub can be seen). The back of the sub will be sealed off from the front. The port will be from the rear chamber. I'm gonna have to brace the hell out of it! (Sorry I don't have any diagrams, this is all in my head until i can decide on a base design).

I've seen this done on a friend's car and it sounded amazing inside the car. Additionally, because of the design there was virtually NO rattle inside the trunk.

I come to the experts for opinions before I attempt this. Can you offer any suggestions on speaker orientation (within the box)? Enclosure size/dimensions? What do you think about this concept? Have I gone mad?

If you need more information please let me know. If I can get what I need here I am ready to start the mod and I'll share the experience with everyone as well. Thanks in advance.

- Trew
Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
recommened enclosure size for a jl12w7 in a ported box is 1.75cubicfeet. i dont think its gonna be great to have it ported out of that top hole. i would rather get a box that is ported to the hole where the armrests in the back are. i dunno, if you are stuck on that idea its gonna be difficult as a 12w7 is a picky subwoofer when it comes to an enclosure. if you wanna stick with that idea id prolly go with something a bit smaller like a 10" to work with.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
sounds like a great idea... I bet there will be someone with the right know-how that will help you out... I would like to see you Execute your idea...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
cuwnicu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 13jlw7 in a custom ported box in my tl
the port comes rite thru the hole where the back arm rest is and i have a bass knob mounted to the left of the steering wheel under the air conditioning unit.
i dont get any vibration in the trunk so im definitely happy with it. i still have my stock sub in but im trying to find out what size it is and see if i can change it out to a better sub
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow. I think this was like my second post on AZine. I forgot all about it.

Our sub is 8", but you are going to have 2 problems.

1. It's not easy finding a sub to fit the stock hole without modification.
2. Even if you do find one, it's not going to sound too good unless it's a free air sub.

I think what you've done is probably the best bet.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
cuwnicu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i thought it mite be too late to put in input when i was writing it but i guess i mita been on something and just went with the flow. anywayss what did u end up doing for ur system?
and yea i read up on some other posts about the stock sub and heard the same about free air sub and a problem with the ohms so i decided to just remove it completely cuz its just dead weight back there and dynamat it so nothing rattles and the seal it with the factory cover again.