Stupid Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid Question...

Is there a DYI on how to install an after market amp and sub for an '05 TL with Navi? I've done it myself with my past cars, but I dont want to mess around with my Navi . If its easy enough I'll try it myself, otherwise I'll find a place to install it for me. Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Also, I also have an amp for the car speakers as well... thanks!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Advanced

19 views and no response answer???
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SUPRMN84
Is there a DYI on how to install an after market amp and sub for an '05 TL with Navi? I've done it myself with my past cars, but I dont want to mess around with my Navi . If its easy enough I'll try it myself, otherwise I'll find a place to install it for me. Thanks
Search the forum and you will find pictures of installs. but ne-ways there are plenty of ways this can be accomplished. First things first did you decide on an amp yet because some come with high level inputs with this you do not need a loc if not then you will need one(an loc just takes the high level output that is running straight to your speakers and converts it to a low level ). Let me know what you are thinking about doing and i will try to help.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
19 views and no response answer???
It's because we get this exact question twice a week because no one searches. All the info is out there.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's because we get this exact question twice a week because no one searches. All the info is out there.
well answered. there are so many diffrent ways of doing this. it would almost take a semester hour to explain each diffrent type and possible way. if not longer.

do a search, and look how others done their installs.
in their threads, ask questions... on what would they change or avoid doing... if they would have done it all over again. if possible pay attension on how wires are ran. <--- this will avoid most of the problems that are accosiated with aftermarket installs, particulary noise.

but to some this up. it all depends on you and your budget.

take into consideration:

type of music you like and listen most often.
how do you like to play and listen to it. volume vise. do you like to hear certain frequency's more over the other one's?
example: more bass? or more defined mids?
how simple or exotic do you want it to be?
is this solely for you? or will you show it off every chance that you get?

questions questions questions and then some more questions.

I know it sounds arregant... but all I can say. read research and read more.
once armed with all this. at that point it would not matter if you will do it, or have proffesionally done, you will know your expactations and demands out of it.

with above stated, I mean no disrespect. just trying to open your eye's a bit.

good luck to you.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Well unfortunately the search on this forum is God awful. Nothing shows up of what you type in the search field. I was hoping someone could set me up with a link? I'll continue to search though

I dont know what I have off hand (I'm at work now), its nothing special though - 2 Alpine amps and 2 JL 10" subs. I've had them for a few years and took them out of my old car and they've been sitting in my basement. I dont want to spend money on something new cause I dont have the money for it at the moment. I want to put them in my car to give my sound system a bit more of a bump.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Well unfortunately the search on this forum is God awful. Nothing shows up of what you type in the search field. I was hoping someone could set me up with a link? I'll continue to search though

I dont know what I have off hand (I'm at work now), its nothing special though - 2 Alpine amps and 2 JL 10" subs. I've had them for a few years and took them out of my old car and they've been sitting in my basement. I dont want to spend money on something new cause I dont have the money for it at the moment. I want to put them in my car to give my sound system a bit more of a bump.
Use quotations around phrases when you search, it works much better. You can also google with the key words and put acurazine in there and it will search this site.

The simple version is you remove your stock sub (to let more bass inside the cabin), tap into the existing sub wires, run them to your amp, then power, ground, and turn-on and you're done. It's very easy on these cars and you will retain the factory sub functions to control the sub volume.

I personally run my factory sub wires straight into my crossover and then out to the amp.

It's not until you get into doing the mids and highs that it gets a little more complicated. The sub is pretty straight forward.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Instructor

there is not a direct complete DYI. for what you are asking. at least I have not seen one. once someone has something installed in their car they post pictures but not a true step by step process on how they did that. there may be a partial thread of an install but not a full DYI from start to finish.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Ohh ok so we can use the factory set up wires. So there is no factory amp that is connected to the factory sub? its just a power wire? I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated than that. I'll have to try that set up cause I don't think my amps have a high and low, but I'm not entirely sure.

Another question though, I have an amp for the car speakers as well. Those need to be connected from the back of the Navi head unit (front dash) where all the other car speaker wires are connected right? Like I said, I really dont want to screw around with the Navi - I have bad luck with these things.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

When you do your searches, make sure you go to "Advanced search". From there, put what you are searching for in "Search by Keyword", THEN (this is important) go to "Search in Forum(s)" and highlight only this sub forum:
AcuraZine Community > AcuraZine TL Community > Third Generation TL (2004-2008) > Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation

All of these questions are answered many times over here. I got a 2005 TL in March and spent a good month searching on and reading the last four years of posts in this sub forum alone. There is really nothing that hasn't been asked and answered here already. There is an incredible wealth of information here.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Ohh ok so we can use the factory set up wires.
Yes you can but to an extant, you will have to run power wires, and in some cases a remote wire.

So there is no factory amp that is connected to the factory sub? its just a power wire?
Yes. there is a factory amp that is connected to the factory sub.

I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated than that.
It depends on how complicated you make it to be.

I'll have to try that set up cause I don't think my amps have a high and low, but I'm not entirely sure.
Check the specs of your amplifier, pull up owners manual and confirm this.

Another question though, I have an amp for the car speakers as well. Those need to be connected from the back of the Navi head unit (front dash) .
You can but it is a lot easier to do same thing @ the kick panel.

where all the other car speaker wires are connected right? Like I said, I really dont want to screw around with the Navi - I have bad luck with these things.
well if you do all the connection at the kick panel you will not have to mess with navi.

good luck to you.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

i know how to install an after market amp and sub email me nev240sx@yahoo.com so i send you picture
Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
here you are:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...314&highlight=
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Advanced

awesome guys thanks a lot