Sprint Samsung A900"M"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Sprint Samsung A900"M"

So........I visited my Sprint store today armed with the knowledge that I have received from the sprintusers forum and others and was able to talk the store manager into changing out my A900 phone to the A900M.

The deal is the A900 never could live up to the hype it was advertised with when I signed the contract. The original A900 has poor bluetooth connectivity, limited T9, and limited GPS capabilities. But Sprint decided to screw the unaware and come out with the A900M and call it a "new model" that is not true, it is the identical phone hardware with a different....read......improved software package, one that is different enough that the a900 could not be updated over the airwaves. Sprint could have if they so desired to offered to re-flash everyones A900 to an A900M but they did not do that. They are hoping that the people with the a900 will be satisfied with its poor performance and not raise a stink. well once the A900M came out and was fully functional on the HFL I was pissed.

This manager explicitly said that it was not Sprint policy to do this, and he may have a little issue with his next audit, but he was doing it because he knows the research and effort I have put into this and did not want to send me off to deal with the technical support department or have me deal with the retention department. evidently the way this is being handled is that you need to have one of those departments order a phone for you to be shipped out. Needless to say I was very happy that he chose to handle the issue this way. For once I dont feel like I was screwed by Sprint, just this once though!

It will be interesting to see how the Acura HFL website addresses this as they have been testing the A900 for months. Just remember the A900 does not work with the HFL and the A900M does.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much pohljm! I'll be visiting my local Sprint store very soon to have them upgrade my A900 to A900M. I know I'll have to argue with them for about a hour or so, but I'm ready. Thanks again
Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
Thank you so much pohljm! I'll be visiting my local Sprint store very soon to have them upgrade my A900 to A900M. I know I'll have to argue with them for about a hour or so, but I'm ready. Thanks again
You will need to visit a service center store, not just any Sprint retail outlet, it may be easier talking to them via the phone, the retention department specifically. Make Sprint hold up their end of the agreement I am sure that you expected the A900 to do things that they have not been able to get it to do hence they brought out the A900M which will.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pohljm
You will need to visit a service center store, not just any Sprint retail outlet, it may be easier talking to them via the phone, the retention department specifically. Make Sprint hold up their end of the agreement I am sure that you expected the A900 to do things that they have not been able to get it to do hence they brought out the A900M which will.
I also read your post from the "A900 vs A900M" thread. I think I'll just try to have Sprint upgrade it and if that fails then I'll go ahead and flash it (keeping in mind that I'll void my warranty in the process). There's some guy on the sprintusers forum selling the package for fifteen bucks. I'll try calling them first like you suggested. I don't really care for the T9, but I'll love to have a functional GPS and BT. Thanks for your responses.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes I am aware of autoprime and his re-flash offer. I just think Sprint should be held accountable in this. Heck I dont even use the T9 or the GPS on the phone, that is just the top arguments to get Sprint to make the change
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 PM
4th Gear

So........I visited my Sprint store today armed with the knowledge that I have received from the sprintusers forum and others and was able to talk the store manager into changing out my A900 phone to the A900M.

The deal is the A900 never could live up to the hype it was advertised with when I signed the contract. The original A900 has poor bluetooth connectivity, limited T9, and limited GPS capabilities. But Sprint decided to screw the unaware and come out with the A900M and call it a "new model" that is not true, it is the identical phone hardware with a different....read......improved software package, one that is different enough that the a900 could not be updated over the airwaves. Sprint could have if they so desired to offered to re-flash everyones A900 to an A900M but they did not do that. They are hoping that the people with the a900 will be satisfied with its poor performance and not raise a stink. well once the A900M came out and was fully functional on the HFL I was pissed.

This manager explicitly said that it was not Sprint policy to do this, and he may have a little issue with his next audit, but he was doing it because he knows the research and effort I have put into this and did not want to send me off to deal with the technical support department or have me deal with the retention department. evidently the way this is being handled is that you need to have one of those departments order a phone for you to be shipped out. Needless to say I was very happy that he chose to handle the issue this way. For once I dont feel like I was screwed by Sprint, just this once though!

It will be interesting to see how the Acura HFL website addresses this as they have been testing the A900 for months. Just remember the A900 does not work with the HFL and the A900M does.
Thanks for the advice on how to go about this - I just picked up an 05 TL and my A900 wasnt pairing - I went to THREE sprint stores and finally got someone to help me at a Service/Retail outlet. The people at the plain retail outlets are F&(*&(^ STUPID!!! They said what I wanted done was impossible and that I would have to break the phone and claim it on insurance....so I asked them if they were asking me to committ insurance fraud - they said 'not exactly' - gotta love that, lol!!

After I got to the service center it was fairly easy sailing - I just told them that I was sold on the A900 by THEIR rep with the false pretense that it did HFL bluetooth (which it didnt work in my dodge ram either). That being said I either wanted a new phone or upgraded to the A900M that does what the rep claimed it would do. Long story short they didnt have any A900M's in stock but ordered me one and will call me when it is in!!

Thanks again!!

Todd
Old 12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

OK, this is a stupid question so don't laugh. I'm trying to locate a service center but I'm not sure I'm going about it right. On Sprint's main web site after I click on "Find Store" it takes me to a choice of "Store Locator" or "Phone Repair Center Locator". I'm know I need "Phone Repair Center Locator", but it doesn't say that it upgrades phones, just repair or replace. I'm I going about this wrong?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

OK, this is a stupid question so don't laugh. I'm trying to locate a service center but I'm not sure I'm going about it right. On Sprint's main web site after I click on "Find Store" it takes me to a choice of "Store Locator" or "Phone Repair Center Locator". I'm know I need "Phone Repair Center Locator", but it doesn't say that it upgrades phones, just repair or replace. I'm I going about this wrong?
Most likely the phone repair center is also a retail outlet - however not all retail outlets repair the phones. I would call them up and ask them if they are a repair/retail outlet - if they are you are set.

Go there and tell them you bought the phone under the pretense that it would work in your Acura TL with the HFL - come to find out through exhausting research on the internet and ZERO help from sprint themselves you have come to learn the A900 has some deficiencies that are not correctable through a phone update - sprint obviously realized those flaws and could not make things right to people who owned A900s. So they came out with the A900M and claim it to be a new model phone....this is incorrect as they mislead people on the capabilities of the A900 and you need the problem rectified as you drive alot in your TL and need the HFL capabilities to work properly.

That is how I went about it and they are ordering me a brand new A900M no charge and no contract renewal....

Hope that helps,

Todd
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats the one you want, and no they do not upgrade phones as in re-flash to a A900M. Sprint does not subscribe to this method. They will give you a brand new A900M phone to replace your A900
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by white59rt
Thanks for the advice on how to go about this - I just picked up an 05 TL and my A900 wasnt pairing - I went to THREE sprint stores and finally got someone to help me at a Service/Retail outlet. The people at the plain retail outlets are F&(*&(^ STUPID!!! They said what I wanted done was impossible and that I would have to break the phone and claim it on insurance....so I asked them if they were asking me to committ insurance fraud - they said 'not exactly' - gotta love that, lol!!

After I got to the service center it was fairly easy sailing - I just told them that I was sold on the A900 by THEIR rep with the false pretense that it did HFL bluetooth (which it didnt work in my dodge ram either). That being said I either wanted a new phone or upgraded to the A900M that does what the rep claimed it would do. Long story short they didnt have any A900M's in stock but ordered me one and will call me when it is in!!

Thanks again!!

Todd
Glad I could be of help, you will be very happy with the A900M the phone is really a very good phone. And that is the correct way to go about having sprint make it right.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's another defect that I found in the A900... Not sure if its in the A900M...

Go to the calculator and divide 8.5 by 100. Notice the answer is 0.08? In fact, the fvcking thing only supports up to 2 decimal places and it doesn't even round correctly!

If I wanted to compute what's 24.95 plus a 8.5% tax, the calculator can't do it, since I wouldn't be able to enter in "1.085"
Old 12-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLTrance
There's another defect that I found in the A900... Not sure if its in the A900M...

Go to the calculator and divide 8.5 by 100. Notice the answer is 0.08? In fact, the fvcking thing only supports up to 2 decimal places and it doesn't even round correctly!

If I wanted to compute what's 24.95 plus a 8.5% tax, the calculator can't do it, since I wouldn't be able to enter in "1.085"
same on the A900M
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by white59rt
Most likely the phone repair center is also a retail outlet - however not all retail outlets repair the phones. I would call them up and ask them if they are a repair/retail outlet - if they are you are set.

Go there and tell them you bought the phone under the pretense that it would work in your Acura TL with the HFL - come to find out through exhausting research on the internet and ZERO help from sprint themselves you have come to learn the A900 has some deficiencies that are not correctable through a phone update - sprint obviously realized those flaws and could not make things right to people who owned A900s. So they came out with the A900M and claim it to be a new model phone....this is incorrect as they mislead people on the capabilities of the A900 and you need the problem rectified as you drive alot in your TL and need the HFL capabilities to work properly.

That is how I went about it and they are ordering me a brand new A900M no charge and no contract renewal....

Hope that helps,

Todd
Sure does help. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

Thats the one you want, and no they do not upgrade phones as in re-flash to a A900M. Sprint does not subscribe to this method. They will give you a brand new A900M phone to replace your A900
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

You must be one of the other jpohl's on Sprint!!! I know my brother is one, and I am too... Pohl is not a very common name. I wonder if there is any relation between us? At the very least, we have the same last name, drive the same car, have the same Sprint phone (or had, I do not have the "M" yet), and looking at your profile have birthdays just two days apart!

I am just now learming about the A900M, and am going to try the same approach a you.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Thats quite the coincidence! now we just get need to get your phone upgraded!