Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker/Sub/Amp Upgrades!!

I am the proud owner of a 2008 TL-S and after enjoying the stock stereo setup I have decided to pull the plug and upgrade a few of the components. I have spent some time trolling through various threads looking at others installations and recommendations. There are some very crafty and knowledgable people in the Acurazine community so I am hoping to tap some of that creativity to help me along my way.

I am not planning on replacing the factory head unit as I want to retain the stock look as much as possible...that and the fact I have the factory navigation system and am not interested in replacing it.

First on my list is to replace all of the factory speakers while retaining the factory placement...this includes the factory subwoofer. It would be nice to retain the current sub's placement but I assume my upgrade options are limited and if I want some real 'punch' am going to have to go to a sub in a box.

Second thing is an amp to drive the new speakers. The speakers are pretty easy as they will just replace what is already there...but I am having some issues with where to place the amp(s) inside the car while still having the ability to change settings etc...plus i dont want the suckers to overheat.

I am looking at spending a good chunk of coin on this install. I am looking at top shelf components for this and since i have not installed any car stereos since a cassette deck in my 91 Geo Storm...I will be having all of the components installed. I am looking for suggestions/recommendations on brands of speakers and amplifiers. Mid to high end is where i am looking.

Thanks to all!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What is your budget for the entire system including installation? If you're going to a shop to have it installed some will only put in their equipment so you might want to check that.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Member "Niebur3" sells high end gear and has a wealth of knowledge. He can point you in the right direction. I bought my MS8, Dynaudio 342 comps, and kick panels from him. Great prices and excellent customer service.
The following users liked this post:
CrownTypeS (07-13-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

I dont have a firm dollar amount...but I am looking in the range of $2500-$7500. I dont want cheap components and since I dont plan on changing cars in the near future I want a seamless install and am willing to pay to have high quality work done and have high quality components.

My problem is that I have been out of the loop for so long, I dont have a lot ideas when it comes to quality components...last install I did used an Alpine head unit with speakers...and that was at least 15 years ago.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CrownTypeS
I dont have a firm dollar amount...but I am looking in the range of $2500-$7500. I dont want cheap components and since I dont plan on changing cars in the near future I want a seamless install and am willing to pay to have high quality work done and have high quality components.

My problem is that I have been out of the loop for so long, I dont have a lot ideas when it comes to quality components...last install I did used an Alpine head unit with speakers...and that was at least 15 years ago.
For $1000 you can do an amazing setup. For $2500 you can do a mindblowing setup.

Just for reference, I spent about $500 total on my S2000's sound setup and it was mind blowing. I got it all for a good deal though and am reselling it for $900, so YMMV. If you budget correctly and buy some nice used stuff, you can do something amazing for $1kish.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

I would definitely blow most of your budget on the front stage. Of course, I'm going to recommend the ones I have, the Dynaudio 342 set or even the 242 set. Many like the various Focal ranges.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

i can only imagine what a $7500 would sound like in a TL

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
..MTX wouldn't exactly be my first choice lol
Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

First...thanks to all who responded! It looks as though I should be able to have a kick ass system created and installed.

Now:

Top 3 Speakers Brands
Top 3 Amplifier Brands
Top 3 Subwoofers

Any price range considered...what do people like out there and have had good experience with?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Wow Thati s one Hella Budget. Im thinking I might get my Audio on point as well, but just by adding a Sub Woofer cause my Factory Speakers sound good so far. When they die, that is when ill change them.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

First...thanks to all who responded! It looks as though I should be able to have a kick ass system created and installed.

Now:

Top 3 Speakers Brands
Top 3 Amplifier Brands
Top 3 Subwoofers

Any price range considered...what do people like out there and have had good experience with?
I guess I'll start.

For comps:

Dynaudio esotec 342. Retail is about $1,400 but you can find deals.

Dynaudio esotar.... Double the price of the esotec.

Higher end Focals.

Higher end HAT

Subs:

I've owned 2 JL 12W6s for 7 years and loved those subs but not so much in the factory sized sealed box. Nothing but great things to say about them. Flawless for all of these years even though they have been pushed hard not to mention I did 35,000 miles a year for a few years so it's a lot of run time.

I currently have two of the Acoustic Elegance IB15s. It's an infinite baffle specific ultra low distortion and very efficient 15" sub. I'm feeding them less than 200w and they get very loud and clean. They're made specifically for IB use though you could use a very large box if you wanted. This is the best sub I've personally heard and for an SQ system it gets pretty loud.

The Dynaudio 1200, not a lot of people use them because of the price tag but the reviews are nothing short of amazing. I really want to hear one especially in IB form.

I've heard the IDQ15v2 in IB form and they sound really nice.

Kind of expensive but I love the W7 series in ported boxes tuned low as long as you have the means to eq out the low end. Very good SQ and with the output you can get away with one where two might be needed with others.

I know this is a very incomplete list but it's a start.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Comps:
Dyn
DLS
Phass
Focal
Audison Thesis

Each have a different sound, so listen to some if you can.

Amps:
Audison
Tru
Zapco

Subs:
Dyn
Focal
Morel

Don't forget about the processor. Money aside, I would get an Audison bitone.1.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
What is the goal of this system?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
What is the goal of this system?
I could swear I thought he said SQ and after you asked this question I went back and read his original post and realized he never said that. The good thing is most of the ones listed will get loud too.