6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Sorting out the V600 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Sorting out the V600 problems

It seems there are those of us who have a V600 with no problems and those who have problems with the HFL picking up incoming calls.

Most of us either have a V600 from Cingular or ATT. Some have an "unbranded" V600.

Some are able to access their software version through "other settings" on the Menu, others have no "other settings" in the Menu.

This is a poll to try to narrow down who has what, with or without problems. It may point to a single brand/software version. It may be a waste of bandwidth.

We'll see........
Old 05-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "Other Settings" . I have a Cingular V600, bought it 4/31, under settings I have the following selectable items: Personalize, Ring Styles, Connection, Call Forward, In Call Set Up, Initial Set Up, Phone Status, , Headset, Car Setting, Network, Securtiy, Java Settings
Old 05-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Let's first wait to have better statistics on the poll and then we can see where the problem is located. I may propose a change in the poll, to include the S/W version.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Instructor

What I am saying is that "Other Settings" is vague. Are you asking whether we have a menu item titled "Other Settings" or are you asking a more general question like "do you have other settings available to select under the settings menu?"
Old 05-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rick955i
Not sure what you mean by "Other Settings" . I have a Cingular V600, bought it 4/31, under settings I have the following selectable items: Personalize, Ring Styles, Connection, Call Forward, In Call Set Up, Initial Set Up, Phone Status, , Headset, Car Setting, Network, Securtiy, Java Settings
Ah, well, I dorked it up. Apparently it's not "other settings", it's "other information":

Menu-Settings-Phone Status-Other Information-S/W Version

I don't have this option on my ATT phone (I have no problems).

Silverbishop, I'm not sure how to tell what software version we have if we can't access it through the menu. By all means, if there's a way to make this poll better, go for it!
Old 05-08-2004, 07:55 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Unbranded, no "other settings" in Menu, no problems
Old 05-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Silverbishop, I'm not sure how to tell what software version we have if we can't access it through the menu. By all means, if there's a way to make this poll better, go for it!
Software version is written on the body of every phone, next to the serial numbers. If you remove the baterry you will see on the left side a list of various pieces of information; on the second line you can find the S/W version.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverbishop
Software version is written on the body of every phone, next to the serial numbers. If you remove the baterry you will see on the left side a list of various pieces of information; on the second line you can find the S/W version.
Thanks, mine is 08.09.2DR, no problems.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Problems with Cingular

sw version triplets_g_0b.09.2fr. Occasionally will not pick up calls.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silverbishop thanks for the post on finding the software version...

Software Version 08.09.2DR ... Issues with incoming calls to HFL....
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Advanced

I have SW version 08.09.2FR and can only get it to work normally if the clamshell is open.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

I just got my Cingular V600 on Saturday and I am having the same problems with HFL transferring incoming calls to the phone when closed.

My software version is Triplets_G_08.09.2FR
Old 05-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

i have a v600 from at&t. i have problems answering incoming calls via HFL.

I also have a bug where the outer display gets scrambled occasionally. rebooting the fone seems required to fix it.

any way to get my sw version? I don't have any "Other Information" option as shown below:

> Menu-Settings-Phone Status-Other Information-S/W Version
Old 05-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

OK you can get version info by doing: *#9999#

I am running version: TRIPLETS_G_0B.09.2DR

H/W ver: SUG3641BA
Old 05-10-2004, 07:16 PM
You touch my tra la la...

All that did was freeze my phone.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Team White Diamond

Originally Posted by nologic98
i have a v600 from at&t. i have problems answering incoming calls via HFL.

I also have a bug where the outer display gets scrambled occasionally. rebooting the fone seems required to fix it.

any way to get my sw version? I don't have any "Other Information" option as shown below:

> Menu-Settings-Phone Status-Other Information-S/W Version
I have exactly the same situation
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I believe the Cingular V600s are unlocked / unbranded
Old 05-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Also, I have the Cingular V600 with no problems.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:33 AM
7th Gear

Settings

Does anyone know if the settings under Car Settings, Headset, or In-Call Setup/Answer Options really matter? I'm guessing they should have nothing to do with the Bluetooth connection! Has anyone talked with Motorola or a person with technical knowledge of the phone that can validate?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Harvest day sucks....

Any of you V600 owners know if this phone is EDGE compatible?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Here is the reply that I got from JCI customer service regarding the aforementioned problem: " Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue you are experiencing with
your V600 and HandsFreeLink. We are aware that the call is being routed to
the phone and we are working with Motorola on a solution. It sounds as if
you have figured out a couple of ways to deal with this problem. In
addition to transferring the call back to HandsFreeLink and leaving the
phone open, another trick that seems to diminish this issue is you can hold
the talk button until you hear the beep( this is just slightly longer than
a brief button press)."

This is the price we pay for wanting to be on the techological frontier :-)
Old 05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Instructor

The software version can be upgraded my swinging by the cell carrier's retail store correct?

I'm looking into getting a v600 myself. I still in negotiations to get the best price for phone/plan. Playing cell companies against one another is much fun. I'm going to demo one today, these threads have been great for 'things to look out for'.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Advanced

In answer to Corn, when I picked up the v600 from Cingular, the knowledgeable salesman I luckily got pointed out that it is NOT EDGE compatible.

I also wanted to thank the board for advice - my office e-mail uses a system where I give the office number plus pound, then my password plus pound. From advice from this board, using the HFL, I dial the voice mail number - when it answers, I hit the HFL talk button, say my office number and the word "pound", then hit the talk button and say "send", then hit the talk button, say my password numbers and the word "pound" and then hit the talk button and say "send" and presto! I can pick up my voice mail without being timed out.

I have the same problem as everyone else when the clamshell is closed, but I am sitting the phone in the top of the middle console, where the coinholder is, on its side and open most of the time with the console box closed, so it's not that big a deal to me to keep the clamshell open. The few times I have had it closed, it indeed works if you push on the "phone" button for longer than I do when I use commands. I have also been able (before I read that tip) to use "transfer" fast enough to get it to the HFL before my party got exasperated, after answering the phone by opening the clamshell. My biggest problem with the v600 is that I can't get the charger to thread through the small hole in the divider between the upper and lower trays in the center counsel, so I threaded it in the back, where the hinge is, and it often interferes with the box closing.

Finally, following rets' advice from this board, I walk up to the car with the clamshell open, use the menu to get to "settings", start the car, and then power up the bluetooth. The phone then syncs immediately and I can make and receive calls no problem. The mild pain of constantly powering up the bluetooth when I get in and out of the car is worth it to me since the battery lasts so much longer when bluetooth is off, notwithstanding that I have the charger in the car and usually have the phone hooked to it whenever I am in the car.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

How long does the battery life last with BT turned off? I don't trust the motorola site. They say my old phone should last several days, but I'm actually lucky if I get 2.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced

What's interesting to me about all of the above postings is how different everyone's experience with the V600 has been. I have no bluetooth issues(it pairs instantly) but can not answer with the HFL unless the clamshell is open. Holding the HFL answer button in longer does not work for me. Are you saying anything when you hold it in longer?
I was on Howardforums last night and someone had problems with their V600, replaced it with a second V600 and had no problems. Strange!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by silverbishop
Here is the reply that I got from JCI customer service regarding the aforementioned problem: " Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue you are experiencing with
your V600 and HandsFreeLink. We are aware that the call is being routed to
the phone and we are working with Motorola on a solution. It sounds as if
you have figured out a couple of ways to deal with this problem. In
addition to transferring the call back to HandsFreeLink and leaving the
phone open, another trick that seems to diminish this issue is you can hold
the talk button until you hear the beep( this is just slightly longer than
a brief button press)."

This is the price we pay for wanting to be on the techological frontier :-)
silverbishop,

How did you get in touch with Johnson Controls? Is there a 800 number for their customer support?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Called the handsfree Link support line and they confirmed that there is an issue with the HFL and the V600 but they have no idea when a resolution will be available...

aah... the pleasures of modern technology.... :banghead:
Old 05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cullal
silverbishop,

How did you get in touch with Johnson Controls? Is there a 800 number for their customer support?
I sent them an email to the following address: william.j.dawson@jci.com, that can be found on their website.
Their response came after 2 days, which I consider it as a fast one...
Old 05-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info silverbishop...

In case anyone is interested the support number for the handsfreelink is 888-528-7876...

Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Damn all of you! I had no problems with my V600 for the first week, no my calls are being routed to my handset...i attribute it all to the conversations on this board!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Advanced

With guidance from this board, I have been putting my v600 in the top tray with the coinholders, hooked up to its charger and with the clamshell open. I have had "open to answer" set at different times to "yes" and to "no". Although the phone links just fine and I make outgoing calls with the HFL easily, when I get an incoming call, it always goes to the phone. I have tried pushing the talk button for longer and have tried pushing the button and saying "transfer", but I have only once been successful in getting the incoming call to the HFL. I have the latest software, from Cingular. Anybody else have any other suggestions? For those that have called the HFL support line, is it worth doing? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Instructor

had several calls come in today, tried holding the HFL answer button for 2 seconds instead of tapping it, seemd to work ok with cingular v600
Old 05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Rick..and was that with clamshell open and "open to answer" set to..what?
Old 05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Instructor

no, it was closed
Old 05-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Racer

After 3 days of going back anf forth with Motorola Support, they finally came back and told me that my V600 had a MAC Address Issue. AT&T is replacing the phone with a new one that has updated software of some kind... Hopefully this will resolve the issue with the incoming calls... I will post an update once I get the new phone and run some tests...

Old 05-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced

cullal - could you please give us Motorola's support number and what is a "MAC" problem? I have called the hands free link number silverbishop gave but have not yet given it another try in the car. On my way in to work this morning I am still having my problems with the Cingular version I bought within the last 2 weeks. I have 15 days (with a few days left) to return the phone and if it is a software problem, perhaps I should return it for another v600. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Racer

Wordsmith,
The Motorola Support number is 1-800-BUY_MOTO. Calling this number was of no help as this was a call center and the CSR who took my call had no idea what I was talking about. She even told me that the V600 will NOT work with non-motorola bluetooth devices.

Motorola has a support website that you could register on and email your issue to them. Here is the link... http://commerce.motorola.com/consume...r_service.html
Motorola support initially said that the problem was with the Acura HFL. It was only after I pointed out that my Nokia 3650 worked flawlessly with the HFL they asked me for the serial number and IMEI number on the phone. Finally they told me that the phone had the MAC address issue and directed me to AT&T for a replacement phone...

According to the tech support CSR I spoke with at Motorola an initial batch of V600 phones were programmed incorrectly with the same MAC Addresses (Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network) in the phone...

Old 05-14-2004, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

I'm on my second v600 with AT&T. 75% of my incoming calls get dropped. My clamshell is always closed. I just set the car settings on the phone to auto - off. I'll see what happens now.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:02 PM
jsw
10th Gear

I have been using my ATT v600 for about a month. Everything appears to be working exactly like I expected it to work. HF can be used for both outgoing and incoming calls with the clam shell closed. The only negative experience is that there is a delay of about 2-3 seconds before the HF will allow me to answer the call. Based on the messages I have read this appears normal however. It appears that most of the problems are appearing on the Cingular phones. I do not know if that means anything .
Old 05-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Well, I finally fixed all of my V600 problems...I took it back and went back to the T616

Quick Reply: Sorting out the V600 problems