Sirius Install: Canadian-Spec TL w/navi

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Sirius Install: Canadian-Spec TL w/navi

So I'm booked in to my buddy's audio install shop for Wednesday to install my iSimple and Sirius module. Because it's a CDN TL, it doesn't have an XM tuner at all; but it is the same head unit and so it is essentially
"satellite ready."

Now, if I was just going to install an XM tuner, I don't think I'd have any problems. But I am installing a Sirius tuner (I want Stern and my wife wants CBC Radio 3). I only purchased the SCC1, but I think I need the HON-SCC1 or the SIR-HON1 - except that I have a navi and it specifically says "not for use with Technology package."

So my questions are:
  • Can I just install the SCC1 on its own and expect it to work?
  • Can I even order the Honda/Acura Sirius connect and it work with my Navi TL?
  • If so, which one should I get? HON-SCC1 or SIR-HON1?
Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any lucj
K bro i have a canadian tl too and want sirius .
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Racer

I don't know if this is garage worthy, but I thought I would share the trials and tribulations of installing an iSimple and Sirius on a Canadian Spec 3G TL, because there is nothing on here to help us poor bastards up here north the 49th. While there is a lot of information on here about iSimples, XM, Sirius, etc., there is nothing aggregated in a manner that is useful to Canadian TL owners. I hope that this thread will solve that. This thread will be a work in progress, because this my install is still a work in progress. After all I've gained from Acurazine, I hope to give back a bit; even if it is only to a niche segment of users.

NB: This applies for Canadian TL's with nav units, only.

WHAT YOU NEED
SOME HARD TRUTHS I'VE LEARNED
  • This install is not cheap: DIY, professional install or otherwise. Part of me wishes I never started, but I'm not going to back down at this point.
  • There is no way getting around it: you need the US head unit to make this work with any useful functionality - especially with Siruis. While it technically all works with the CDN-spec head unit, you have zero functionality. Here's what I mean:
  • iPod/iPhone functionality: it charges and you hear music. It will play whatever album you were listening to prior to plugging in, but that's it. You are locked out of your iPhone interface and if you try changing channels using the head unit/steering wheel controls, it will play the next or previous song from your ENTIRE songlist - not your existing playlist or album - and there's no way to go back to your album. Also, you get no text or other functionality.
  • Sirius functionality: you get sound, but you don't even get channel numbers, let alone channel or song titles. So you can flip through channels, but never know what channel you're on.
OUTSTANDING ISSUES (anyone, please feel free to chime in)
  • I'm not sure what the difference is between the OEM head units 39100-SEP-A410 or 39100-SEP-A411. I know that they are both meant to work with navs (the non-navi head units are A100 or A010), but which one?
  • As I've been researching and writing this thread, I just now realized that there are two Honda & Acura XM To Sirius Antenna Adapters: the single input (HONXM1SIRIUS) and the dual input (HONXM2SIRIUS). I need to look at the SCC1 and the OEM XM antennae and see if I can figure out which one I need. I hope it's not the dual, as they are backordered and TSS radio seems to be the only outfit in the world that sells these items. Just found it on the TSS Radio site: it is a Single!
  • At one point, I was certain that I needed the Sirius to XM translator HON-SC1 to work with the OEM head unit, but my installer said that plugging in through the iSimple solves that issue.
I'll keep you guys posted, as this install saga continues. Any info that people can add to this will be most welcome.

PS Fuck you, Honda, for just not installing Sirius up here (XM wasn't in Canada, yet).

Last edited by VicTL06; 05-20-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Racer

OUTSTANDING ISSUES (anyone, please feel free to chime in)
  • I'm not sure what the difference is between the OEM head units 39100-SEP-A410 or 39100-SEP-A411. I know that they are both meant to work with navs (the non-navi head units are A100 or A010), but which one?
  • At one point, I was certain that I needed the Sirius to XM translator HON-SC1 to work with the OEM head unit, but my installer said that plugging in through the iSimple solves that issue.
  • Still with the OEM deck, I've found some on eBay and other online dealers. They are asking what "Faceplate ID" I want. There is a little code on the door of the cassette tape unit. Does anyone know how/if this matters one way or the other?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 AM
07 NBP TL

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
How did the install go? How much did you spend in total for everything to work?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know i'm probably resurrecting this from the dead, but for other's who are looking maybe this will help.

I did this install on a Canadian 05 TL w/o navigation. I used the HON-SC1 adaptor coupled to the SCC1 Sirius Tuner. My deck read 1TB3 on the cassette player door flap. There was no SAT or XM button on the deck. It does work, by cycling through the MODE button on your steering wheel, it ends up finding the adaptor plugged into the back of the deck.

At the same time I also tried out the Peripheral PXAMG/PGHHD1 Honda/Acura iPod Adapter for use with my iPod. I didn't care for how it worked, and sold it right away. Also I couldn't use it with the Sirius setup, and that's what I wanted mostly.

I have the Sirius package for sale by the way, on Kijiji in Ontario right now. Haven't posted anything up here on Acurazine as yet.