Sirius Conversion using the new HONSC1

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by taskmaster
Glad I found this thread. I much prefer Sirius to XM and my trial sub to XM has not yet run out. Plenty of time to get this installed in my '05 TL. If it works as indicated in the TL, my XM enabled Honda will be next. Bye, bye XM, welcome home to Siruis!!
Before you go out and spend your hard-earned cash and and time on this - you do know that XM and Sirius are about to merge and that the head of the FCC voiced his approval for the merger today, right?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Master Tasker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but I would think any change will take a while. I really don't understand how the government can OK this - it will create a monopoly and hurt all of us subscribers by allowing arbitrary higher pricing, or a la cart pricing that would be more expensive overall. They refused to allow DirecTV and Echostar to merge for that very reason, and the satellite TV companies have cable to compete with, so this decision makes no sense to me.

Funny thing is that both companies shelled out big bucks for exclusive rights to talent like Stern to keep it from their competitor. Now, they will both have access to it all. Go figure!

Thanks for the heads up. Not everyone may be aware of this.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taskmaster
Yes, but I would think any change will take a while. I really don't understand how the government can OK this - it will create a monopoly and hurt all of us subscribers by allowing arbitrary higher pricing, or a la cart pricing that would be more expensive overall. They refused to allow DirecTV and Echostar to merge for that very reason, and the satellite TV companies have cable to compete with, so this decision makes no sense to me.

BS. i thought only the NAB was spouting this nonsense. maybe you work for clear channel?

The companies agreed no increases for 3 years but Sat Rad is an optional product competing against ipod and every other form of music/content delivery. They aren't in such demand that they can charge anything they want.

Funny thing is that both companies shelled out big bucks for exclusive rights to talent like Stern to keep it from their competitor. Now, they will both have access to it all. Go figure!

Why shouldn't they? But more importantly we the consumer have access to it all. duh. No having to choose between MLB or NFL, Stern or OA, Oprah or Martha... whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for the heads up. Not everyone may be aware of this.
----
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I have seen, the pricing plans and offerings will not enable someone with XM in the car and Sirius at home get Howard over XM in the car. Therefore, I will need the conversion. Paying for an XM subscription and then additional money per month for Stern/NFL/etc... is not worth it. Just getting the conversion and getting the 6.99 extra subscription looks like the easiest and most economical option over the long term....

http://www.siriusmerger.com/site/page/a_la_carte/
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Just as an FYI, here's the latest information from an article in today's Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1213...rsonal_journal ):

"The companies have also promised to introduce some new pricing options. For example, consumers will not have to buy all of the channels as they currently do and may instead choose tiered pricing. That means a light user could buy a bare-bones plan of 50 XM or 50 Sirius channels for $6.99 a month. An a-la-carte option of 100 channels would allow some mixing from both services and would cost $14.99 a month. Subscribers who want a full lineup from one of the services, plus some "best of" programming from the second service, can do it for $16.99 a month. The a-la-carte options will involve buying a new radio; the radios compatible with the a-la-carte plans would be available within three months of the merger's closing, well before the key holiday sales period."
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by ttribe
Just as an FYI, here's the latest information from an article in today's Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1213...rsonal_journal ):

"The companies have also promised to introduce some new pricing options. For example, consumers will not have to buy all of the channels as they currently do and may instead choose tiered pricing. That means a light user could buy a bare-bones plan of 50 XM or 50 Sirius channels for $6.99 a month. An a-la-carte option of 100 channels would allow some mixing from both services and would cost $14.99 a month. Subscribers who want a full lineup from one of the services, plus some "best of" programming from the second service, can do it for $16.99 a month. The a-la-carte options will involve buying a new radio; the radios compatible with the a-la-carte plans would be available within three months of the merger's closing, well before the key holiday sales period."

This is what I'm talking about. Because of pricing incentives, I pay $6.99 per month for Sirius right now. After the merger, the new pricing has me getting fewer channels than I currently receive for the same price - and I still don't get to pick the channels unless I pay $14.99, which is also more than a full priced XM or Sirius subscription as it stands right now. The bottom line is that pricing will go up because the sat radio companies have successfully removed direct competition from the picture. Pre-satellite Cable TV is a perfect example of this.

And no, I don't work for any communications company or any industry related to satellite, radio or television. Strange as it may seem to you, my remarks are simply IMHO.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Instructor

I have Sirius for Howard and XM that came in the car (TL)...I am pro-merger as I want the companies to survive and I feel that if two companies want to merger, that is their choice. However, for the consumer, prices will always go up...especially if there is only 1 satellite company. That being said, let the market decide... I want to get the Honda/Acura conversion kit though I do not want to pay two $12 subscriptions....
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kasendorf
The install for my 08 w/nav required me to connect the HONSC1 behind the radio in the dash. The connectors to the factory XM tuner are not compatible with the cable that comes with the HONSC1, it is compatible with the cable that goes into the radio.

I used these instructions to remove the dash trim to gain access to the area behind the radio.
http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/TLAuxcableinstall.pdf

I disconnected the connector on the back of the radio and attached one end of the Y cable that came with the HONSC1 to the back of the radio with the other end to the cable that I disconnected. I also disconnected the factory XM tuner in the trunk so that it wouldn't interfere with the HONSC1. I installed the HONSC1 and the SCC1 in the bottom bucket of my console. I chose this location because a) it gave me easy access in case I had problems, and b) it was the easiest. I could have installed behind the dash but didn't think it was worth the added effort and headaches. I also purchased the antenna converter from TSS to convert my OEM XM antenna to SIRIUS. I ran the SIRIUS antenna lead under my backseat, under my carpet to the center console. Connected all of the wires, called SIRIUS, and the job was done. Very happy with the install. Everything works exactly as it worked for the factory XM including the controls on the steering wheel which switches the channels, it goes from preset to preset.

Let me know if you have further questions that I can help you with.
Kasendorf,
glad to hear you were able to convert the radio. I just bought a 2008 TL w/nav and was told by TSS-Radio.com that the Honda/Acura converter they sell would not work with my car. I assume this is not entirely true if I use the method you used. I am a Sirius subscriber and even with the merger approved I dont want an XM hybrid signal approach. I want my full SIRIUS back!! anyway, from what i have been reading this may be my only approach but I am weary of opening up my 2 week old car with only minor experience in radio installations. Do you have a more detailed set of instructions I could go off of?
**also, it has been mentioned that after the conversion takes place that the voice commands dont work. Is that the voice command for the satellite radio only? or al voice commands?

Thanks
Bernie
Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I upgraded my 08 (non navi) to Sirius about 2 weeks after I got it. It is quite easy to do. The unit is mounted in the trunk (search forums for photos)in the right hand (passengers side). You remove all the tie down knobs, remove the plastic piece that is in the very back by firmly pulling up on it and it'll pop out.

You'll need a flat screwdriver to remove the one clip along the edge of the trunk liner (click here to see an exploded view of the trunk lining), see part 20 in the center of the view of the link I added. Once you have that right side lining out, the XM unit is mount behind the rear wheel well. You'll see 3 10mm bolts in a triangular pattern. Loosen those (no need to remove them) and the XM unit will come out. It is mounted behind that wide metal brace and you'll see a bunch of ground wires connected to that same brace (don't need to touch those though).

The HONSCI will plug unto the factory harness. The sat antenna will plug into the HONSCI and that's about it. I used a piece of 1/4" plywood to make a mounting board for the HON using the XM BOX for my hole pattern and mounted the HON in the same place.

Just call Sirius with the ID number on the Sirius (Blue) box and add that to your subscription and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps.

As for functionality with your Nav, not sure why it wouldn't work. You won't lose HFL since that is a seperate circuit/system. Hopefully someone else here can answer that.

Troo at TSS-Radio is a pretty good guy to work with. Just ask TSS what functionality you'll lose.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

In my 2008 with navi, I had to connect my HON-SC1 at the head unit. It was still not a big install. Hardest part is removing clips that you are sure are going to break but they do not. I was able to install mine without pulling the radio out. I was able to remove the factory XM plug and squeeze the HON-SC1 cable in there as well. I did use a Sirius antenna though. I just ran it up on the corner of the dash where it meets the windshield. Works great and very easy install.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
In my 2008 with navi, I had to connect my HON-SC1 at the head unit. It was still not a big install. Hardest part is removing clips that you are sure are going to break but they do not. I was able to install mine without pulling the radio out. I was able to remove the factory XM plug and squeeze the HON-SC1 cable in there as well. I did use a Sirius antenna though. I just ran it up on the corner of the dash where it meets the windshield. Works great and very easy install.
Thanks
did you use a separate SIRIUS antenna because you can't use the stock XM antenna? I read that there is an antenna converter that might work. Any thoughts on that?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I upgraded my 08 (non navi) to Sirius about 2 weeks after I got it. It is quite easy to do. The unit is mounted in the trunk (search forums for photos)in the right hand (passengers side). You remove all the tie down knobs, remove the plastic piece that is in the very back by firmly pulling up on it and it'll pop out.

You'll need a flat screwdriver to remove the one clip along the edge of the trunk liner (click here to see an exploded view of the trunk lining), see part 20 in the center of the view of the link I added. Once you have that right side lining out, the XM unit is mount behind the rear wheel well. You'll see 3 10mm bolts in a triangular pattern. Loosen those (no need to remove them) and the XM unit will come out. It is mounted behind that wide metal brace and you'll see a bunch of ground wires connected to that same brace (don't need to touch those though).

The HONSCI will plug unto the factory harness. The sat antenna will plug into the HONSCI and that's about it. I used a piece of 1/4" plywood to make a mounting board for the HON using the XM BOX for my hole pattern and mounted the HON in the same place.

Just call Sirius with the ID number on the Sirius (Blue) box and add that to your subscription and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps.

As for functionality with your Nav, not sure why it wouldn't work. You won't lose HFL since that is a seperate circuit/system. Hopefully someone else here can answer that.

Troo at TSS-Radio is a pretty good guy to work with. Just ask TSS what functionality you'll lose.
Thank Stew,
hows your reception going through the XM antenna?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bernmcc76
Thanks
did you use a separate SIRIUS antenna because you can't use the stock XM antenna? I read that there is an antenna converter that might work. Any thoughts on that?
There is a convertor you can use and some people have spliced it. For me it was too easy to put a new antenna on the dash.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by bernmcc76
Thanks
Check out this thread XM Antenna Removal/Sirius Replace . I posted how to swap it out and use the Sirius antenna on my 2005 non-Navi - I have a double antenna lead and it was really the option for me.

I will say that the converter is not 100% compatible on my 2005 - the steering wheel controls only move the station up or down one station rather than move between presets. Also, it seems to reset the radio to the same Sirius preset every time I turn the car off. That said, however, I love having the Sirius vs. XM and am not going back to the OEM tuner.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ill be selling my conversion unit in about a week or so....i got a new headunit and it has a sirius box for it
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
4th Gear

Tripnbeats..
do you have a navigation system? i assume if i want to by a new head unit then i am essentially replacing all the tech stuff i just paid for..
so trying to avoid that..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I replaced the XM antenna as taskmaster suggested, using his DIY. Was fairly easy.

I didn't get better reception with the sirius antenna over the stock XM antenna. I did buy the antenna converter from TSS though.

I get great reception and sound level now
Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

I use the XM converter on my 08 TL w/nav and have zero complaints. The results are as good as my factory installed SIRIUS in my other 2 cars. Solid clean install and would highly recommend.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

nope no navi....
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
5th Gear

Tl Type S Conversion Summary

After reading this informative thread, I thought I would add my 2 cents to the conversion. I just completed this on a 08 TLS - which by default is the 'technology package'. The prime thread I used was from Kasendorf (great job!) with a few observations of my own.

1) If it weren't for the cable connect and gender issues on the XM box, this job could have been accomplished exclusively in the trunk.
2) When you remove the driver's side console panel, the connector that needs to be removed from the radio is thankfully the nearset one, but it does have a lock button on top before it can be released (no tools required, just agility). No need to remove anything on the passenger side except the top screws in the console that allows the console to be jostled during the put back phase.
3) There is enough room under the OEM radio area (hidden under the console)to securely stow the Hon-SC1, but not enough to also stow the SCC1. I choose to go under the drivers seat with it, so that I can change out the antenna connect in the weeks to come. I just need the extension cable to reach back to the trunk and then utilize the OEM antenna.
4) I experimented with leaving the XM tuner connected... and it caused all types of audible crossover. I removed it completely from the trunk, and all works just great. So far the only difference I see is that I cannot issue a voice command to change the channel. All Bluetooth/phone options including phonebook work the same as before.
5) Immediately after activation I could only get about 8 channels. I noticed that in the course of disconnecting and reconnecting cables, the OEM radio was in 'Category' mode. So channel selection via the knob or scan only showed me those channels within a specific category! Once I changed the mode to 'Channel', all channels were revealed, so I could save my favorites in both XM1 and XM2 mode.
6) All in car labor took about 2 hours, all work in the trunk took about 30 minutes.
7) Purchased both the HonSC1 and the SCC1 for $119 on ebay.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I have an 08 w/ nav and I followed the step by step instructions that kasendorf posted. Everything worked great for the first two days, then "funny" things started to happen. My presets all went blank and I lost all functions. I could not switch from "map" mode to audio mode. Everything just took a "dump"! I still have xm on a trial basis so I reconnected the tuner in the trunk just to make everything normal. I haven't had a chance to gain access to the honsc1 to check for a possible blown fuse. i'm hoping it's just a blown fuse. Any ideas? I don't care for xm. I'm hoping to figure this out with some help.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Why would you guys not just go ahead and pay for the XM + best of sirius package?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gluhed
I have an 08 w/ nav and I followed the step by step instructions that kasendorf posted. Everything worked great for the first two days, then "funny" things started to happen. My presets all went blank and I lost all functions. I could not switch from "map" mode to audio mode. Everything just took a "dump"! I still have xm on a trial basis so I reconnected the tuner in the trunk just to make everything normal. I haven't had a chance to gain access to the honsc1 to check for a possible blown fuse. i'm hoping it's just a blown fuse. Any ideas? I don't care for xm. I'm hoping to figure this out with some help.
I experienced a similar issue after SIRIUS downloaded some updates. I disconnected the SIRIUS tuner and the converter, and than reconnected. All has been fine since. Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 AM
5th Gear

I also experienced a hiccup after my conversion back in September (possibly due to Sirius's update/download). Since my HONSC1 is buried under the console I rebooted the whole system via the fuse panel. I pulled the radio fuse out for a few seconds, then replaced it. The radio wanted the security code before it came alive, couldn't find the code easily but noticed it was posted on the side of the glove box once I opened it! There I found 2 codes one for the radio and one for the navi! I guess the dealer did this? In any case this power cycle/reboot cleared everything up, and its been solid for 2 months.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear

Cool Lifetime package

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
Why would you guys not just go ahead and pay for the XM + best of sirius package?
I've got the lifetime package with sirius. So it doesn't make sense to pay $16 a month for XM with Stern.

As a side note, this entire merger really sucks. It makes no sense what they are doing. I called XM and told them I am a lifetime sirius subscriber, can they just convert me over. The guy told me they are a completely separate entity. No wonder the stock is at 17 cents. Get out of debt = get rid of XM. They've become GM; a company with sub companies that know nothing about each other and just increase overhead.

I don't understand why they don't just convert everyone to the same stations. This separate plan and bonus sirius channels on XM seems like a rip off. They are saying... "hey, are you stuck with an XM radio in your car. Do you want sirius? If so, give us more money."

But Mel Karmazin is a smart guy. I'm sure he'll get this company in order... and he'll do it right after I do my sirius converter install :-)
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Hi All,

I'm set to purchase a 2005 TL with the Technology package this week and have also been told that the Honda/Acura Sirius converter is not compatible with this radio.

My questions are primarily for users kasendorf and stevedok, but I just joined today so can not send messages yet.

1. Just to be sure: for my car are you saying that the unit is compatible, but I'll need to install it under the head unit instead of the trunk?

2. Will I still retain the ability to use voice commands for Bluetooth and navigation, but not for the radio?

3. Is the only other thing I lose by doing this the XM traffic updates?

For those guys that did this last year, please let me know how these installs are working out for you. If you're still happy with it, it will probably be the first modification i make to this car...

Thanks,

Alan

(And for those that are still wondering why this thread is still going on in 2009, months after the Sirius/XM merger, while the two have technically merged, they are still very separate companies. The programming is different on each service and I have been a Sirius customer for 4+ years and have no intention of changing to XM now just because I have a different car. I know and like all the channels on Sirius and have never really enjoyed anything on XM - the music and talk channels will probably not be 100% meshed for years to come. Lastly, we have other cars with Sirius in them for which those subscriptions are discounted, which Sirius/XM will not honor if we open an account with XM - i.e. you need to be "all Sirius" or "all XM", no mix-n-match. So XM is not an option at this point!)
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Intermediate

My install was on a 2008 with the Technology package so I can't comment on how or where you would install on a 2005. In my 2008 I first tried to make the connection in the trunck where the XM receiver is located but it was not plug compatible with the SIRIUS unit so I had to coonect the wiring harness to the back of the radio/nav unit in the dash. This wasn't too difficult though it did require moving the console and removing some dash trim to gain access. If you read through this forum you can find out how to do this (I would not recommend for the faint of heart). I installed the unit in the bottom compartment in the console. I also purchased a cable that allowed me to use my factory installed XM antenna so the install is pretty clean. I have been using this since the day it came out on the market and haven't had any major problems. I use the voice commands on my bluetooth without any problem and hav enever tried voice commands for the nav (couldn't see the value) but I suspect that it would work just fine. I have read reports of losing the phonebook import but since I use Verizon I was never able to take advantage of that feature so I can't comment on the validity of the reports.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

kasendorf, thanks for the quick reply! I think the '05's would have similar space behind/in the console. Have you noticed any problems with reception using the factory XM cable?

I might go with a Stiletto 2 and a VSM mount, but I'm still weighing my options of how to input the sound into the radio, since it has no AUX jack. I had an FM modulator hookup in my previous vehicle and hated it. I'm still pouring through all the information in the Third Gen TL electronics & nav forums, but would be happy to hear opinions of the best way to do this.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
B A N N E D

bump
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Riga89
bump
why are you bumping a 2 year old thread for a product that has been discontinued for about a year?

Plus Sirius and XM have pretty much the same channel lineup now anyway.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 PM
B A N N E D

Needed to know a technical question this thread had the answer to
Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
why are you bumping a 2 year old thread for a product that has been discontinued for about a year?

Plus Sirius and XM have pretty much the same channel lineup now anyway.
Do you know if there is an updated radio?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by vector1701
Do you know if there is an updated radio?
No, Sirius & XM merged. The new company is called SiriusXM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Yeah, but their billing is still separate and requires 2 subscriptions....
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
5th Gear

I wish they would merge to the same subscription system. Truck and Boat are sirius. TL and Accord are XM. Would probably get subscriptions on all of them if they a good discount for multiple vehicles (Similar to DirecTV for extra receivers.)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Funny how a company merges and they can merge everything but the billing department, ironic isn't it?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Hate to bump this old thread again but I just ordered the HON-SC1 for my 08 TL-S (why?) I have an SCC1 with a lifetime subscription on it. I was wondering, to install this will I need to remove the glove box or can I just pop out the dash trim then pull out the side panel on the passenger side?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Sirius and XM have merged but for a ton of people the only reason they got Sirius was Howard Stern. And you cant get stern on XM unless you pay an extra monthly fee called the "best of sirius". Its pretty ghey if you already have a Sirius subscription. So this thread is still relevant. Many people have a radio that they dont want to give up.