Satellite Radio in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio in Canada

I'm wondering if the Canadian TLs come with XM radio? Is this a feature bundled with the Navi? I know they say technically XM doesn't work in Canada but a buddy of mine ordered Sirius and it works great. The only catch is that you have to order it to an American address but he picks it up great in Edmonton, AB.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
XM should work in the south of Canada, from the border, with the dozens of miles' range, maybe even further.

Besides XM satellites may not aim to or cover the whole Canada, there may be no ground repeaters in Canada yet.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...16&postcount=7
Old 09-25-2004, 02:39 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
XM should work in the south of Canada, from the border, with the dozens of miles' range, maybe even further.

Besides XM satellites may not aim to or cover the whole Canada, there may be no ground repeaters in Canada yet.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...16&postcount=7

No XM radio here in Vancouver Canada!!!! That really suck!!! YOu folks down south always get the better stuff and we pay just as much for the car. NOt fair dammit!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty Sloooow w/ the tech eh
Old 09-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Funny thing is that the G35 does have XM radio but to access it you would need to set up an XM account using a U.S. address. I am wondering why Infiniti took this approach and Acura actually eliminated the option for Canadian TLs.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

I had an aftermarket XM kit in my Acura MDX and got good XM reception all the way up to the Ottawa River in the Pembroke area.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:21 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by smoore
Funny thing is that the G35 does have XM radio but to access it you would need to set up an XM account using a U.S. address. I am wondering why Infiniti took this approach and Acura actually eliminated the option for Canadian TLs.
Because the Canadian Acura TL team wasn't thinking ahead... i'm very disappointed by this..
Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Instructor

I live in Calgary and you can get XM radio no problem. I was about to buy a XM or Sirrius kit for my car but don't want to use the fm mod. But now I'm wondering if I can just buy the XM crap they didn't but in the Canadian model. I'm sure everything else is the same, I don't think acura would make a different head unit for ours. Anyone know if we have an extra XM port on the back of stereo.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:31 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Mike, I am in Edmonton but coming to Calgary this weekend to visit a friend... I am pretty sure that the Sirius satellite radio works, i'm just choked that the Canadian vehicle doesn't come equipped with it.

...blame America. ;P
Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tkx
Mike, I am in Edmonton but coming to Calgary this weekend to visit a friend... I am pretty sure that the Sirius satellite radio works, i'm just choked that the Canadian vehicle doesn't come equipped with it.

...blame America. ;P

Can't blame the U.S. it's our own government that screwed us hear. The CRTC said there's not enough Canadian content.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:38 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by ed99
No XM radio here in Vancouver Canada!!!! That really suck!!! YOu folks down south always get the better stuff and we pay just as much for the car. NOt fair dammit!!!
Not fair?

You guys get a low windshield washer fluid warning indicator on your trip computer display AND daytime running lights !

Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Canada considers approving satellite radio

The New York Times had an article last week on Canadian Satellite radio, which is likely to be approved early next year. Here is an excerpt from the article (12-9-04 in Circuits).

Though XM and Sirius signals reach Canada, and some Canadians furtively own receivers, the equipment is not yet legal. The hitch is a decades-old Canadian broadcasting policy meant to guarantee that the content on Canadian airwaves is sufficiently Canadian (about 35 percent for the typical music radio station) and not overwhelmed by a flood of American pop culture.

These rules remain important for Canada, said Michael Geist, a law professor at the University of Ottawa. "There needs to be cultural policy put into place that helps level the playing field and allow Canadian content to be made," he said.

Canadian Satellite Radio and Sirius Canada, the two companies pitching the service to the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission, Canada's version of the F.C.C., are Canadian-owned but close partners of the American satellite radio services.

Each has promised to offer five all-Canadian channels across North America (including two in French), and potentially eight if there are enough Canadian subscribers. The companies have promised various other incentives to promote Canadian talent and woo the commission, considered by many to be the guardian of Canadian culture.

"This is the first time we will be exporting channels into the U.S.," said Kevin Shea, the president of Sirius Canada, a consortium made up of Sirius Radio, Standard Radio and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Canada's national public broadcaster. The company has promised to offer four CBC stations and one station produced by Standard Radio, a large privately owned Canadian broadcast company.

Over the course of the license, which typically lasts about seven years, it would also spend about $18.5 million to support Canadian talent, including money for travel to Sirius headquarters in New York for live performances and to promote tours, Mr. Shea said.

Canadian Satellite Radio, in partnership with XM Satellite Radio, plans to offer a similar mix of news and music stations, as well as a Canadian comedy channel.

It plans to create a position in Washington for an "ambassador" who would promote new Canadian acts among XM Radio programmers and arrange live shows featuring Canadian artists at XM's studios, Stewart Lyons, the company's vice president, said in a phone interview. In addition, it will build sound studios in Montreal and Toronto to help independent artists and spend $23.5 million developing Canadian talent.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Well I don't know what else they could ask for. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm still stuck with a TL with no XM radio. :'( and have to buy something aftermarket.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Not to mention km/h on our speedometer! Boo-Yow!

Originally Posted by DMZ
Not fair?

You guys get a low windshield washer fluid warning indicator on your trip computer display AND daytime running lights !

Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Original Question - Does anyone have an answer

Originally Posted by Yauser
I'm wondering if the Canadian TLs come with XM radio? Is this a feature bundled with the Navi? I know they say technically XM doesn't work in Canada but a buddy of mine ordered Sirius and it works great. The only catch is that you have to order it to an American address but he picks it up great in Edmonton, AB.
Yauser... I to was wondering about the XM radio. I have the navi package on Vader but in Canada the XM is still a no show. The question I think you were looking for an answer for, and I am too, is this: "Does the OEM radio head unit installed in a Canadian Vehicle have the input or ability to be retro fitted with an XM unit." I think this is a question many Canadian owners would like an answer to from someone with the technical knowledge and familiarity with the TL sound system. I know I would love to get rid of the 45 minutes commercial free S**t we get and get some good tunes going in that car. Many thanks in advance... TL42 and the Canadian Contingent.

p.s. dont forget to tip the scales..... (favourably please lol)
Old 12-14-2004, 05:37 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Yauser
Not to mention km/h on our speedometer! Boo-Yow!
We have BOTH miles/hr and km/hr on ours.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Instructor

TL 42

I was wondering the same thing can I just buy the XM crap from Acura that they didn't put in the Canadian model. I'm sure everything else is the same, I don't think Acura would make a different head unit for ours. Zax123 bought an aux. interface that he thinks he can plug in the back of the head unit. So as soon as he try’s this we will find out if there is an extra port back there for XM. The next problem is how do we select that do we just have different labels on our buttons or is it programmed different.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Just FYI... I live on the boarder of Canada and NY and I go to Ottawa and Montreal frequently and XM works perfectly....no problems...