Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 and Factory Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006 | 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 and Factory Speakers?

Hello,

Has anyone installed the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 DSP and retained the factory speakers?

I'm considering installing one to pave the way for future upgrades (and iPod integration via the AUX in,) but would like to know whether there is any benefit in doing this with the factory speakers still in place.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006 | 10:39 PM
Racer

I think you can do that but I would be ready for a speaker upgrade in the near future if you try to shove that amp's power down the throat of the OEM speakers....lol.

As long as you listen without hearing any audible distortion, I think you won't be in danger of frying those speakers. I would say the subwoofer on the rear deck assumes the biggest risk. I have fried tweeters before but they were old and it wasn't easy to fry them. If you try to pump up the bass too much, I think the excursion limits of the OEM sub will be reached pretty quickly.

For an OEM speaker system, the TL's are not that bad....and at normal volume levels, a better amp like the Rockford should improve the quality of the sound even coming out of the factory speakers.
Old 05-22-2006 | 12:48 AM
B A N N E D

If you use the 3sixty, where do you get the signals from? Do you get it directly from the headunit? Or do you get the signals after the factory amp?

The 3sixty only has 6 low-level RCA output so you would need to hook it up to am amp and then to the speakers.
Old 05-22-2006 | 06:42 AM
Instructor

The 3Sixty will flatten the curve programmed at the factory to match the stock amp/speaker config.

Why not wait untll you're ready to change everything since adding the Fosgate without adding anything else "may" even diminish the sound.
Old 05-23-2006 | 02:59 PM
Cruisin'

Hello,

Thanks for your helpful answers.

I suppose I could wait; there is no rush really. My major holdup is ignorance, as I don't know what kind of speakers or amp I want to buy. I'm not looking for thumping woofers in the trunk or anything like that; my goal is to create a perfect audiophile system that produces the best sound in all types of music. I listen to classical as much as alternative and voice recordings.

If someone has solid recommendations as to the parts I need to buy in addition to the 3Sixty (amp, speakers, wire,) I would appreciate you posting them here. Audio City in La Puente will do the install for me; they just don't know what to put in yet.

Thanks