RF Remote for Dom's TVAndNav2Go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RF Remote for Dom's TVAndNav2Go?

Are there any DC powered RF remote switch devices we could use for Dom's unit instead of the wired switch? I did a quick Google search and didn't really see anything. You think it'd be fairly easy to supply a remote with 2 buttons and a powered RF Receiver/switch, right? Does this exist or am I totally off track here? Just trying to find a solution so I don't have to mount a switch..
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Are there any DC powered RF remote switch devices we could use for Dom's unit instead of the wired switch? I did a quick Google search and didn't really see anything. You think it'd be fairly easy to supply a remote with 2 buttons and a powered RF Receiver/switch, right? Does this exist or am I totally off track here? Just trying to find a solution so I don't have to mount a switch..

One would think their is one out there but finding it could be a pain.. Another issue may be finding an RF remote/receiver that runs off of 12 volts etc.. Something that has worked for me in the past when looking for this type of option is local RV (recreation vehicles etc.) sales/service/modification facilities. They tend to have access to quite a bit of strange "accessories"... May be worth a try.

I did like most folks and installed a nice switch in the open spot to the right of the VSA/mirror controls. Actually used the plug that's in the hole, painted it black to match the VSA then nicely installed a three position switch. (On-OFF-On). The three position allows me to select the camera input at anytime while driving down the road (yet still always defaults to camera when in reverse), the off position is the stock or normal mode, then the other On is the DVD input. Works quite well and looks darn near factory given the switch I selected.
You do have to utilize a relay in place of the small switch that Dom's box has for the video transfer. The entire curciut cost me less than $8 from Radio Shack....

Go for it man... :-)

If you go RF the next thing you know you will have two or three remotes in your car...

Good luck
Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
when I was installing Dom's unit... I had an old simple remote starter laying around and was going to install it as my wireless switcher... but got lazy, plus I had DCC's custom dvd button already...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Where can I get that custom button DCC was making? What's his full screen name on here and what was he chargin for them?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where can I get that custom button DCC was making? What's his full screen name on here and what was he chargin for them?
He doesn't make them anymore, sold them for around $80 and his full screen name is DCC

I think you are thinking too hard about your set-up. You need to stand back for a second, too many ideas bouncing around in your head.

I mean seriously a remote to turn from navi to the movie, then another remote for something else and so on? Sounds absurd to me atleast.

I think keeping it simple is a better approach. It's not hard to dremel out a hole for the radioshack switch, and it looks good.............not out of place.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
That's true...
Like I told you in the AVelectronic thread, you'd need to upgrade to a an AVelectronic.com multiswitcher to get an RF based switch.

I already am experiencing remote overload with a remote for the Accelevision DVD player, PS2, Mediagate, and Ipod/Sony Ericcson phone... That's 4 remotes including the RF remote for the AV switcher.

Here's the solution I'll be implementing:
http://www.logitech.com/index./produ...CONTENTID=8865

Originally Posted by lembowski
He doesn't make them anymore, sold them for around $80 and his full screen name is DCC

I think you are thinking too hard about your set-up. You need to stand back for a second, too many ideas bouncing around in your head.

I mean seriously a remote to turn from navi to the movie, then another remote for something else and so on? Sounds absurd to me atleast.

I think keeping it simple is a better approach. It's not hard to dremel out a hole for the radioshack switch, and it looks good.............not out of place.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Instructor

You guys are probably right.. Too many remotes would be a bit of an issue. I'll pick-up the radio shack switch today while I'm out along with a cheap dremel. I could probably use a drill for the whole but it wouldn't be as clean I don't think. I'm just paranoid about drilling shit in my car . I'm not a very experience DIY'er. I understand all the concepts, just a bit shy when it comes to this shit. I did my amp/sub install all on my own along with the USA Spec unit. Dom's unit shouldn't be hard. Just have to extend the 2 switch wires to the front near the steering wheel and the power wire to the center console to tap the cigarette lighter power. I'll get it.

I appreciate all your guys' time, patience, and assistance..
Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. There are also tons of options out there as far as which button you can use. As long as it's not some ghetto switch, it will look nice.

I'm still in research mode about this whole project myself. I've been contemplating buying other alternate action buttons that are in my TL, stipping off the paint, then applying fresh paint and DVD Video logo (the same way DCC got his button to look so nice) so that the colors match the decor of the car. I've considered using the hazard light button, the "CRUISE" button, and a couple others to accomplish this. I think the hazard light button might be the best option, but I'm not positive yet.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by brettallica
Agreed. There are also tons of options out there as far as which button you can use. As long as it's not some ghetto switch, it will look nice.

I'm still in research mode about this whole project myself. I've been contemplating buying other alternate action buttons that are in my TL, stipping off the paint, then applying fresh paint and DVD Video logo (the same way DCC got his button to look so nice) so that the colors match the decor of the car. I've considered using the hazard light button, the "CRUISE" button, and a couple others to accomplish this. I think the hazard light button might be the best option, but I'm not positive yet.
There is more than just changing the exterior finish, you basically have to install a radioshack button inside the button for it to work. There was a reason why the button was soo much $ wasn't just the artwork
Old 01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
There is more than just changing the exterior finish, you basically have to install a radioshack button inside the button for it to work. There was a reason why the button was soo much $ wasn't just the artwork
Yeah, I know. He changed it from a momentary contact switch (which is what the VSA switch is) to an alternate action (depress = on; un-depressed = off) switch but tearing the thing apart, adding some sort of clicking mechanism to make it stick down, and adding a circuit on the back. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a lot of work or that his cost was unjustified.

This is why I am thinking about (and suggested) using other alternate action switches that are already in use in the TL, such as the hazard button and the cruise button.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Another option might be the heated seat switch, although I don't know if it's small enough to fit into that space next to the steering wheel. That would look great if it did, though.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Ok.. I picked up a small radio shack two-pole switch. I saw the same switch in someone elses integration on here. Now here's my question -- what's the best way to drill a hole into that blank next to the VSA switch? I know how to get that panel out of the car so that's not a problem. Lembowski mentioned a Dremel. I don't have one of those yet, but can get one if needed. What type of bit would I use for the dremel? I do have a drill I could use which I assume would do the trick just as well, no?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Trucki!!

I just used the drill bit to drill out a work hole. Then used the cone shaped bit to drill/grind out the perfect sized hole
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Godfather of Chrome

... I do have a drill I could use which I assume would do the trick just as well, no?
I just used the drill bit to drill out a work hole. Then used the cone shaped bit to drill/grind out the perfect sized hole
Just to be safe, and to make sure it comes out tight, I'd recommend using a vice of some sort (in addition to what lembowski said) so that when you drill through the plastic, it doesn't go spinning around like crazy and f-up your switch hole cover. Just my