Review of JBL Component Speakers on Factory Amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Review of JBL Component Speakers on Factory Amp

Overview
I wanted to take the time to write this review for those who are debating whether or not to add a set of speakers to their UA6 without adding an aftermarket amplifier. When I was researching this topic on the forums I found many different answers to this question. Some said it would make a decent difference, some said none, and some said volume would be lost. I am hoping to clear all of this up with my review. FYI: These speakers were not a replacement for blown OEM components, just an upgrade. Also, I am not a audio expert, so forgive me for not knowing some of the jargon

The speakers I went with were the JBL GX600C 6.5" component speakers. They are $150 at Best Buy and go on sale from time to time, so you can probably save $20 or $30 if you time the purchase right. I chose these speakers for a few reasons: They have a rating of 2.3 ohms, while most speakers are rated at 4 ohms (the OEM door speakers and amplifier are rated 2 ohms), they weren't too expensive or too cheap, and JBL is a well known brand that puts out a quality product for the price.

Installation was not done by myself, but the mids made it in the doors without much trouble as did the tweeters in the factory location on the dash. I wanted to note this as Crutchfield said most aftermarket speakers would not fit in the doors. Guess they were wrong lol,
Review
There were really no expectations to be had since this was my first time running aftermarket speakers in a car. Anyway, the first song I played with these speakers was "B.Y.O.B." by System of a Down. I immediately noticed an improvement. The difference was not night and day, but I could definitely tell everything was more clear. The guitar and cymbals seemed more prominent and the vocals didn't seem at all overpowered by the instruments.
After driving with the JBLs for nearly two weeks I can give a much better take on them. Whether it is rap, metal, classic rock, country, or electronic these speakers have not disappointed me. The music comes out clear and with little to no distortion (I get a very slight static sound from time to time, but that is probably due to the line out converter for my subwoofer amp). There is some detail added to quite a few songs as well. I don't think I picked up any bass, but the mids never sound muffled or muddy. Highs are not harsh; your ears will not get fatigued by them! Finally, no volume was lost with these speakers. However, they do appear to be a little louder than OEM.

The bottom line: If you're looking to replace blown factory components or to just improve an already good system, the JBL GX600C is a solid option.

I hope this review helped some of those who are on the fence about new component speakers!

P.S. The factory tweeters look like sh*t.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
if you really want to make the sound even better, add sound dampening to your doors. before i added my sound system, i did this to my stock setup and my wife's civic stock setup and the difference was very noticeable!!

another solution to improve your "semi stock" setup is to send it to Jesse (search forum here) for an amp upgrade. he solders in new capacitors and other items that supposedly improve the dynamics of the oem amp. of course it doesn't compare to an aftermarket amp with more power, but just something for you to consider if you want that next step.

speakers have a break in period so they'll prob sound gradually better for a few weeks

good job on the improvement!
The following users liked this post:
WDPinit (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
if you really want to make the sound even better, add sound dampening to your doors. before i added my sound system, i did this to my stock setup and my wife's civic stock setup and the difference was very noticeable!!

another solution to improve your "semi stock" setup is to send it to Jesse (search forum here) for an amp upgrade. he solders in new capacitors and other items that supposedly improve the dynamics of the oem amp. of course it doesn't compare to an aftermarket amp with more power, but just something for you to consider if you want that next step.

speakers have a break in period so they'll prob sound gradually better for a few weeks

good job on the improvement!
Thanks for the tips man! I have to wait a while before I spend anymore $ on the Acura lol. Currently, I'm trying to improve my system by selling my two cheap RF 12's and ported box to cover the cost of an upgrade to an Infinity Kappa sub and sealed box I'm looking at.