Replacing factory door speakers with 4 ohm and factory amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Replacing factory door speakers with 4 ohm and factory amp

I've spent about an hour using the search option and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this. I found my old unused set of JL audio 6.5" mids that I forgot I had. They're 4 ohm and I know I could potentially lost half of my volume with these. Just wondering if, assuming they're more efficient than the stockers, it's possible to not loose that much volume? I've got all the bass I want and the highs are ok but this car seems to really lack the mids/midbass that I'm sure these would add. Would it be worth it to take the door apart and find out or would I be wasting my time?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They might pull too much power from the stock amp...I would wait til you can amp those JL speakers it would be worth it to your ears
Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
they wont pull what u talkin about . they are going to recive power that the stock amp is providing and thats it i tryed mine cde ef61-cf of the stock amp while my kicker amp was being shipped to me and honestly when using stock speakers above volume 30 they just disort but with cdts the midbase was great all the way up to 40 and i think it might be there volume wise. U should give it a shot and if not enough get a small sized amp with decent power and u are good to go. what the hell why not
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never know until you try. Every speaker has a different "personallity".
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

I overlooked a couple things. First, I thought the factory speakers used a paper cone. Second, people were complaining about distortion at high volume levels. Thinking back on this, mine sounds clean all the way to 40. Could be because I keep the bass setting waaay down because I have two JL audio 12W6s in the back. I removed the door panel and tried stock vs aftermarket with them just sitting there, not installed. Stock was definately louder as expected but not as big of a difference as I would have expected. For whatever reason, the gap seemed to close a little as volume levels went up. Aftermarket sounded better but they also have a tweeter so the comparison really isn't fair. I'm not sure if it's going back together stock or not. I got the subs the day after I bought the car so the bass setting has always been low and the treble has always been at max and I've always been pleased with the quality.

I thought I would try this because it's not costing me anything. I'm not interested in getting crazy with an aftermarket amp for the highs and all the associated things that go with it. I would rather spend the car fund on my other car at the track.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Team Owner

Car is back together. I ended up leaving the one JL in the passenger door and stock in the driver door. They're close but the edge goes to the JLs, especially at higher volume levels. I tried turning the bass from very low like normal to full blast. From my normal levels, it's hard to tell which one is better. With the bass cranked up, the JLs come out on top. Is it worth the money if I didn't already have the speakers laying around? Hard to say. I spent nearly and hour listening to all different kinds of music and wearing out the touch screen going from left to right to hear the difference. Bass wise they're close. Clarity definately goes to the JLs. I'll have to try it out again on the way to work when I'm not so tired. Then I'll decide to put it back to stock or add the other JL.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Definately installing the other JL today. At full blast, volume levels are about the same between the 4 ohm JL and 2 ohm stocker and some vocals seem louder on the JLs. At lower volumes the stock speakers seem a little louder but I've always had a problem with the response between my subs and mids not being linear. With the slight lack of low end from mids, it matches my bass a lot better. Like I said, the JLs really start to shine at higher levels. I even had to turn the treble down a few notches.