Replaced rear speaker + added 10" sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replaced rear speaker + added 10" sub

hi
i recently replaced OEM rear speakers with Rockford Fosgate 6x9 power series, added 10"mtx 55 series sub + kenwood KAC8405 amplifeier. Here is pictures.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm new to this so forgive me but I don't see any pics and would really like too?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

here is link, (a cant attach s far)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9403620473/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9403618367/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9403615007/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406372036/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406370542/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406367898/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406366416/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406362362/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9403588391/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98266067@N07/9406345504/
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
6x9??? Wth?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
buddy you just gave poljm a heart attack!

hope you like the sound of your rear deck
must make you feel like you're done listening to the damn music and are driving away from it

that's a sound stage joke, in case you're wondering ...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Wait, the rear speakers arent even 6x9 though...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

it was close to 5.25
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
Wait, the rear speakers arent even 6x9 though...
yes some online databases shows 6x9, so i ordered that size, but actuall size was close to 5.25 aftermarket speaker
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by abirvalg
buddy you just gave poljm a heart attack!

hope you like the sound of your rear deck
must make you feel like you're done listening to the damn music and are driving away from it

that's a sound stage joke, in case you're wondering ...
yes i like sound, specially when i replaced rear deck speaker 1 way speakers with 3 way 100W rms one.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Racer

what do you have upfront?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I better stay out of this
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
I better stay out of this
you just have to accept that "common sense" is not very common
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

what do you have upfront?
for now its oem speakers and OEM head unit, but i added USB flash drive playing option as well
Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Racer

so, by popular belief you've started backwards and gone pretty far that way

here's some stuff to read if you haven't seen it yet
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YQVxB4I...oundstage.html

the industry standard is to make the sound come from the windshield, as if you're listening to a life performance

generally speaking, putting 2 and 3way speakers in the rear ranges from being a bad idea to pointless, unless you have DSP that's capable of taking advantage of them

a similar concept applies to the size of the speakers and the amplification, more power upfront

anyway, your satisfaction with the setup being the only thing that matters, you can do anything you want to your car, i'm just trying to explain the reaction to your post
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm not trying to be mean but you literally did about the worst possible thing you could do for good sound. Some research would have saved you some money and given better results.

You don't want a coaxial, no tweeter firing up at the rear glass. You only want a woofer. Most people don't upgrade the rear speakers anyway, the front stage is where you get the improvements, rears aren't worth the money to upgrade nor is the center channel unless you're running an MS8.

It looks like those 6x9s are just sitting in the 6.5" hole. You will have terrible cancellation and no bass. You literally would be better off just retaining the stock rear speakers and getting rid of the 6x9s. Are the 6x9s powered off of the stock amp?

I don't know what size enclosure you have the sub in but it looks too small. A larger enclosure will give quicker, tighter, and deeper bass while requiring less power.

A decent component set in the front and a 5 channel amp for the fronts, rears, and sub would give 10x the improvement over your setup and wouldn't cost a whole lot more.

The stock rear speakers sound good with aftermarket amplifier power, if you're into running rears.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

the industry standard is to make the sound come from the windshield, as if you're listening to a life performance

generally speaking, putting 2 and 3way speakers in the rear ranges from being a bad idea to pointless, unless you have DSP that's capable of taking advantage of them

a similar concept applies to the size of the speakers and the amplification, more power upfront

anyway, your satisfaction with the setup being the only thing that matters, you can do anything you want to your car, i'm just trying to explain the reaction to your post
Yes, more power up front. For a while I had almost 3x more power to my front stage than my subs. Now I only have a little more power available to the fronts but the sub amp is hardly being pushed. I always liked overwhelming bass and sometimes still do for short bursts but it's really nice when you finally get a front stage that can truly keep up with the sub stage and retain the up front bass at any volume.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

understand
i planned change rear speaker , so if i will why not 3 way?
If you know, human ear cant determine from where low frequency sound comes, putting bigger/powerfull speakers in rear deck for me more convenient and extend hole you have more opportunity than fronts. Also i thought not only about driver.
and do you know what DSP /digital signal processor/ doing?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

also as u know some luxury cars has 3 way speakers on back, so it against industrial standart?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars

It looks like those 6x9s are just sitting in the 6.5" hole. You will have terrible cancellation and no bass.
i am wondering how you know there is cancellation?
cancellation can occur only if sound waves working backward phase....
Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

I don't know what size enclosure you have the sub in but it looks too small. A larger enclosure will give quicker, tighter, and deeper bass while requiring less power.
small for what?As u know each sub require own volume inside of box, right...
Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by maska
If you know, human ear cant determine from where low frequency sound comes
exactly! only you just did the opposite, you've added more highs to the back, so now everyone can tell you have speakers in there

when companies design car audio they try to get the best sound out the cheapest components, it takes some audio engineering skills

just because some cars come with 3 ways from the factory doesn't mean you can slap 3-ways all over your own car and get the same results

but then you said, you're happy with it, so enjoy
i think, you deserve some credit for bravely diving right into it
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM
00g
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't agree with the whole "rear fill is pointless" thought process. I like my music loud, and clear. Always have, always will. I have the same set of speakers in my front doors/dash as I do in my rear deck.

More speakers are going to make it louder. High end speakers + a good amp, will make it clear.

With that said, I never would have hacked up the rear deck and shoved some "by nines" in there. But, to each there own. I'm glad you're happy with it. And, don't let other people's opinions sway you from what you like.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Smile

exactly! only you just did the opposite, you've added more highs to the back, so now everyone can tell you have speakers in there

when companies design car audio they try to get the best sound out the cheapest components, it takes some audio engineering skills

just because some cars come with 3 ways from the factory doesn't mean you can slap 3-ways all over your own car and get the same results

but then you said, you're happy with it, so enjoy
i think, you deserve some credit for bravely diving right into it
thanks

MECP advanced certified car electronics installer
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 00g
I don't agree with the whole "rear fill is pointless" thought process. I like my music loud, and clear. Always have, always will. I have the same set of speakers in my front doors/dash as I do in my rear deck.

More speakers are going to make it louder. High end speakers + a good amp, will make it clear.

With that said, I never would have hacked up the rear deck and shoved some "by nines" in there. But, to each there own. I'm glad you're happy with it. And, don't let other people's opinions sway you from what you like.
no argument there!
however loud and clear has nothing to do with imaging
you can have loud and clear and no stage whatsoever
the difference is, if it's just loud and clear, you're listening to good speakers, if you have stage to add to it, you'll be listening to the instruments and performers, the speakers will "disappear"
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

small for what?As u know each sub require own volume inside of box, right...
Stevie???

Yes, I know a little about enclosure volume.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

i am wondering how you know there is cancellation?
cancellation can occur only if sound waves working backward phase....
That's not a complete sentence. Cancellation can occur when the front and rear waves meet. They're not supposed to meet.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 00g

High end speakers that will handle lots of power with great output will give you a stage and disappear and get louder than you could ever want while sounding great. I've got 1200w available to the front stage and probably adding more power in the future.

I used to believe in rear fill but once I got a processor and experienced music how it's supposed to be experienced where you can hear right where the singer is, where each instrument is placed, you can hear the singer walk across the stage from one side of your windshield to the other, you'll never want rear fill again. Mine is a little louder than most front and rear stages combined. 6 speakers in the front including 9s in the doors on 1200w will get pretty loud but most importantly it has very good dynamics and a life like presentation.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Racer

сдается мне, сейчас начнутся уроки английского
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM
00g
Instructor

High end speakers that will handle lots of power with great output will give you a stage and disappear and get louder than you could ever want while sounding great. I've got 1200w available to the front stage and probably adding more power in the future.

I used to believe in rear fill but once I got a processor and experienced music how it's supposed to be experienced where you can hear right where the singer is, where each instrument is placed, you can hear the singer walk across the stage from one side of your windshield to the other, you'll never want rear fill again. Mine is a little louder than most front and rear stages combined. 6 speakers in the front including 9s in the doors on 1200w will get pretty loud but most importantly it has very good dynamics and a life like presentation.
2 600/4's for just the front? Damn. I'm sure that sounds amazing.

I have one running both front/rear. And, most people would consider just that being overkill.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 00g
2 600/4's for just the front? Damn. I'm sure that sounds amazing.

I have one running both front/rear. And, most people would consider just that being overkill.
I thought just one was overkill when I started this project a couple years ago. I usually listen to music at normal levels but after doing the math I realized two things. Our systems draw way less power on average than I thought. And the power required to faithfully reproduce the short musical peaks is MUCH higher than I ever would have thought. That's where the 1200w front stage comes in.

I went with 9" midbass in the doors to help keep the illusion of bass coming from the front of the car and not the rear and they handle considerably more power than the 6.5s could before bottoming. 600w are eaten up by just the midbass in the doors. The other 600w is split between the tweeters and midrange.

I originally had about half the power on the fronts and after adding a second 600/4 it did get louder but the main benefit is the music sounds more alive and dynamic and more accurate. If you ever get the chance or have an extra amp laying around, you might be surprised at how sound quality can be improved by adding more power. My old system got loud with only 75w per channel but this one gets loud and stays dynamic and clean when it's loud.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
00g
Instructor

I just upgraded from an older Alpine amp which was ~75w/ch to the 600/4 for that very reason.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

сдается мне, сейчас начнутся уроки английского
Ох . выходит Русский. ..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Pro

I thought just one was overkill when I started this project a couple years ago. I usually listen to music at normal levels but after doing the math I realized two things. Our systems draw way less power on average than I thought. And the power required to faithfully reproduce the short musical peaks is MUCH higher than I ever would have thought. That's where the 1200w front stage comes in.

I went with 9" midbass in the doors to help keep the illusion of bass coming from the front of the car and not the rear and they handle considerably more power than the 6.5s could before bottoming. 600w are eaten up by just the midbass in the doors. The other 600w is split between the tweeters and midrange.

I originally had about half the power on the fronts and after adding a second 600/4 it did get louder but the main benefit is the music sounds more alive and dynamic and more accurate. If you ever get the chance or have an extra amp laying around, you might be surprised at how sound quality can be improved by adding more power. My old system got loud with only 75w per channel but this one gets loud and stays dynamic and clean when it's loud.
Im about to install my system i will have everything running off factory amp except for my front stage that will be powered by a small Alpine power pack amp which is about 80-90 x 2 rms. I really want to keep the factory HU but im seriously dreading the fact that it doesnt have an equalizer just simply the factory HU's bass & treble settings so if i wanna fine tune the sound i wont be able to so im just hoping it sounds good and doesnt need any adjustment... do you think i'll be ok? Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Team Owner

thanks

mecp advanced certified car electronics installer
lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Im about to install my system i will have everything running off factory amp except for my front stage that will be powered by a small Alpine power pack amp which is about 80-90 x 2 rms. I really want to keep the factory HU but im seriously dreading the fact that it doesnt have an equalizer just simply the factory HU's bass & treble settings so if i wanna fine tune the sound i wont be able to so im just hoping it sounds good and doesnt need any adjustment... do you think i'll be ok? Any suggestions?
factory HU is fine. run a DSP with it. what will power your sub?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Racer

The stock signal is not bad, it has a dip around 1K that flattens out with volume.
An EQ would be needed less so to correct the stock signal, then to allow tweaking, especially if aftermarket speakers were part of the equation, as their response will differ from the stock.

You're cracking me up! You are about to power your stock front stage with a crappy little D class "noise antenna" and you're worried about EQ If this post had occurred in the tire section, it would go something like this "What brand UV protector should i use to extent the life of my tires? By the way, i drive over nails daily."

But then, i shouldn't say anything, as i LOVE learning from my own mistakes.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

oh noooo! NOW YOU DID IT! I get crap for advising on conceptual layouts of equipment. The thought of criticizing equipment choices has been removed from my mind........even though it is often warranted.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Racer

oh noooo! NOW YOU DID IT! I get crap for advising on conceptual layouts of equipment. The thought of criticizing equipment choices has been removed from my mind........even though it is often warranted.
no that amp is beyond criticism
i have one one of them powering my NAV voice center channel
had to put an ON/OFF button to shut it the F up when not in use, cause it loves to go BZZZZZZZZ.....
about the only safe place to mount it is suspended form the roof in the middle of the car
so, no criticism, think of it as a user review after trying it in 2 cars
in fact i probably should be thankful to Alpine, if that junk amp had worked right, i may not have gotten that far into car audio
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Pro

I am using the stock sub for now but later on i will get a seperate amp and sub for my bass.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Pro

The stock signal is not bad, it has a dip around 1K that flattens out with volume.
An EQ would be needed less so to correct the stock signal, then to allow tweaking, especially if aftermarket speakers were part of the equation, as their response will differ from the stock.

You're cracking me up! You are about to power your stock front stage with a crappy little D class "noise antenna" and you're worried about EQ If this post had occurred in the tire section, it would go something like this "What brand UV protector should i use to extent the life of my tires? By the way, i drive over nails daily."

But then, i shouldn't say anything, as i LOVE learning from my own mistakes.
At no point did i say my front stage is stock, you are assuming that. I have aftermarket components. Thought that was pretty obvious that if im going through the trouble of adding an aftermarket amp id replace the stock speakers im adding it to.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced rear speaker + added 10" sub