Remote Starter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
2005 NBP TL 5AT w/ NAV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Remote Starter Questions

I've been searching around the board on this particular topic for about a weeks. I've read a decent amount of information, but I've read even more "Use Search" posts making it difficult to find useful threads. Hence the reason I'm posting this.

I have had remote starters in all my previous cars and love them. I'm looking to have one installed in my 2005 NBP TL 5 AT w/ Nav

With that in mind, here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

Obviously, a system that will remote start the car with good range (~500 ft+ through walls/buildings). It seems that both systems I'm considering do that easily.

It would also be great to retain all features that are associated with using the original remote (even if it's only linked to one driver setting). I've done some searching on the matter, and haven't found a complete solution. Although, I have seen suggestions that say to link the seats to the unlock.

I would also like to be able to roll the windows down and open the sun roof (and the reverse). In my mind, that sounds like 2 aux channels and 6 relays (1 relay for the factory roll down feature + 4 window roll up + 1 sunroof close). Is that correct? Is it possible that the factory roll down feature is a relay in itself and we just need to hook the wire from the aux channel directly to it?

Preferably turn on the defrosters in cold weather (automatically). Otherwise, I guess I'd have to get this set up on another aux channel.

Another "problem" that I haven't been entirely convinced on relates to navigation and satellite acquisition. I read in one thread that someone had problems remote starting their car and not hacking the nav system to remove the nag screen. After remote starting the car, they had problems with the gps locating their car. I attempted to replicate the problem by driving to work without pressing ok at the nag screen. I didn't run into the same problem. Can anyone comment on this?

My previous remote starter made obnoxious sounds when it was locked or the warning chirp sounded. The sounds resembled screeching more than beeps. It would be really helpful if you guys could comment on that as well.

Finally, the biggest question I have is what system is best and your personal experience. I've only seen a couple of posts on the matter, but it seems that I need to make a decision between the Viper 5900 and the Compustar Pro P2WSSR. Can anyone comment on their personal experiences with these two systems and possibly doing any of the above. Additionally, if you have any ideas for what I should have my remote starter do (beyond what I've mentioned), I'd love to hear those as well. I don't mind spending the money, but I want to get it done right the first time so that I never have to worry about it again.

Thanks to those of you that took the time to read this (and to those that will comment). I know it was a bit long-winded. I just wanted to consolidate all the information I needed in one place. Hopefully, others will eventually benefit from the thread as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm runnning a clifford alarm system, remote start.. but for the roll down i just use my stock lock to do that.. So I can't really help you but, Good luck on your installing though
~Jason
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We would need to keep both remotes on hand? There is no way to just use 1 remote for everything?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the new viper 5701, with remote start, window roll up, window roll down, trunk pop, I can even turn my audio on with out having to start the car, also I have the memory seat, also other couple things. The great thing about this alarm it has comfort closer and the range is said to be about 2000ft. My buddy used 6 relays if I can remember. Now as the GPS I'm not sure as I don't have my facotry nav. in my car anymore.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
NTMD8

Originally Posted by CS-SuperchargedTL
I'm running the new viper 5701, with remote start, window roll up, window roll down, trunk pop, I can even turn my audio on with out having to start the car, also I have the memory seat, also other couple things. The great thing about this alarm it has comfort closer and the range is said to be about 2000ft. My buddy used 6 relays if I can remember. Now as the GPS I'm not sure as I don't have my facotry nav. in my car anymore.
Do we still need to carry the old remote with us or we can just use the viper remote for everything?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Originally Posted by jimsta
Do we still need to carry the old remote with us or we can just use the viper remote for everything?
Nope don't use the old remote I threw mine away do tell you the truth!
Also if you don't mind spending the money look into the Viper alarm that I have, its light weight, very thin, and like I said it has comfort closer! Plus there is a lot you can do, I added 4 phazer sirens (the ones that have the high pitch sound and really hurt) and its connected to my Viper GPS tracker I put on there also. Lets just say if someone wants to steal my car there going to have a hard time to!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
2005 NBP TL 5AT w/ NAV

Nope don't use the old remote I threw mine away do tell you the truth!
Also if you don't mind spending the money look into the Viper alarm that I have, its light weight, very thin, and like I said it has comfort closer! Plus there is a lot you can do, I added 4 phazer sirens (the ones that have the high pitch sound and really hurt) and its connected to my Viper GPS tracker I put on there also. Lets just say if someone wants to steal my car there going to have a hard time to!!
GPS tracker sounds interesting. The remote starter I had in my old car allowed for something like that if you bought the module. There wasn't even a service plan you had to subscribe to. Is that similar for your Viper GPS tracker?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Originally Posted by mode
GPS tracker sounds interesting. The remote starter I had in my old car allowed for something like that if you bought the module. There wasn't even a service plan you had to subscribe to. Is that similar for your Viper GPS tracker?
No, the Viper GPS is like LoJack except you have to pay for it. The difference is that you can get on your computer or mobile phone and track your car if its stolen. Also it can call or text you if your car is stolen then with a simple command you can tell it to not turn on when its started again. But there is a yearly fee.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
NTMD8

No, the Viper GPS is like LoJack except you have to pay for it. The difference is that you can get on your computer or mobile phone and track your car if its stolen. Also it can call or text you if your car is stolen then with a simple command you can tell it to not turn on when its started again. But there is a yearly fee.

Wow...thats pretty freaking awesome!! how much did this Install run you if you don't mind me asking...cause that is some hot shiet!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
2005 NBP TL 5AT w/ NAV

How about in terms of sound?
Does it Chirp, Beep, or Honk when locked / unlocked?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Originally Posted by jimsta
Wow...thats pretty freaking awesome!! how much did this Install run you if you don't mind me asking...cause that is some hot shiet!
I think 200-300 but I don't remember, I've spent so much that I don't want to even look at the bill! Lol
Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM
SC TL to RS4 to 911

Originally Posted by mode
How about in terms of sound?
Does it Chirp, Beep, or Honk when locked / unlocked?
I want to say it beeps or maybe a chirp, I'm really not sure?