Remote Start ... Recommendation !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:57 PM
AAP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start ... Recommendation !!

For those of you thinking about getting a remote starter ... I suggest Audiovox ...

Many of you would ask? Why? ...

They may not have the best name in aftermarket alarms ... but their service and warranty are the same as the best. And they have 1 feature that NONE of the competition can touch ... TELEMATICS !!! CARLINK

Get this:

I dial a 1-800 number ... enter a subscriber number+pin number ... and send commands to my car from any phone.

The system I got ... the APS996A ... has a 1400 ft range ... but with the CarLink ... it is a WHERE EVER I have a phone range ...

I can lock, unlock, start, panic, and blink the lights ... on the car ... all for $0 a month .. the only cost is the part (which I got from E-Bay).

Just my 2cents ....
Old 12-28-2005, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Thats pretty sweet. Did you have any problems with the install? How much was it for the system?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Team NightHawk VP

thats a pretty nice feature haha

i recently bought the viper 791xvr, cant be happier, maybe if i tried the audiovox model then i might be happier.

gotta love the interior motion sensor
i live in a very safe neighborhood so im the only one that reaches into my window and make it go off
Old 12-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro

How much you paid for that?

Will it work for Manual cars...you know since we have to hold the clutch in order to turn on the engine??????
Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steveo_az
Thats pretty sweet. Did you have any problems with the install? How much was it for the system?
Steveo_az: The unit was $140 on Ebay + $30 for the CarLink ... then $200 for the install

cliff: I looked into that System ... it was the CarLink that pushed me over to AudioVox ...

Nandito28: I am not sure if it will work with manual cars ... I will check out the manual and let you know asap.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well now that just makes it easier for anyone to rob ur car from anywhere.....
Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, I'm jealous!

I wonder if it could be adapted to work with my Viper 791XV... I read the manual and there's a command which sends a - minus on AUX1. But that must be the AUX1 channel on the Audiovox alarm... that's too bad, this is REALLY cool!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
well now that just makes it easier for anyone to rob ur car from anywhere.....
Actually ... it make's it no easier than having a remote start. The CarLink just sends the remote Start signal to the remote starter ... All of the standard security features are in tact ... and without the key ... it will make crazy noise for about 3 minutes ... The only way to really use the remote start to steal the car is to have a copy of my key ... (but I have the shaved door lock mod which helps)

I work in a large 50 story building and park about 10 minutes from my desk to car ... it is great to start the car with the phone and have it all warmed up when I get there ... the standard remote only have 1400 feet ... so I have to be outside in the parking lot before I start it ....
Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
Whoa, I'm jealous!

I wonder if it could be adapted to work with my Viper 791XV... I read the manual and there's a command which sends a - minus on AUX1. But that must be the AUX1 channel on the Audiovox alarm... that's too bad, this is REALLY cool!
I would think that the unit is just sending signals ... you would need to figure out what it is doing on each command. I think that the hard part would be to have the Viper send the command to the proper item.

I would think that finding the sequence for 'Start' in the CarLink would be easy (only 4 wires) ... but then having the Viper send that command ... ?? Who knows ...

Let me know if I can be of any help ....
Old 12-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Resident auto maniac

ya remote starting on 6mt wouldbe cool....
Old 12-28-2005, 09:10 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by skyy406
Okay guys ... I contacted my installer ... and this system is not 6MT friendly ... he said that there are a few systems from DEI ... but he was not sure since he has not had to look for them in quite some time ....
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
8th Gear

I had a viper alarm on my old mustang that was stick. It had remote start. You just could never leave it in gear (i never do anyways). Now I have my TL and im also thinking of buying another alarm with remote start. (my tl is 6mt).
Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by skyy406
get the compustar. i have it on my 6mt.. it's awesome.. crazy range too..

you put the e-brake up before you take the keys out.. and the car stays on .. when you get out of the car, and shut the door, the engine turns off and the alarm arms.. failsafe.. awesome
Old 12-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
get the compustar. i have it on my 6mt.. it's awesome.. crazy range too..

you put the e-brake up before you take the keys out.. and the car stays on .. when you get out of the car, and shut the door, the engine turns off and the alarm arms.. failsafe.. awesome
Did you install this yourself...if so how do you bypass having to press the clutch in to start motor?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
10th Gear

How is the remote starter working for you?

I am thinking of getting one in my 05TL Auto. This carlink sounds like a great idea. The summers here in texas get HOT and having the car cooled up a little before entering would be great.

need to decide if i want to augment the factory alarm/locks (& just add a remote starter) or replace them with a whole remote starter & alarm system.

hrmm...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 AM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuratl05tx
How is the remote starter working for you?

I am thinking of getting one in my 05TL Auto. This carlink sounds like a great idea. The summers here in texas get HOT and having the car cooled up a little before entering would be great.

need to decide if i want to augment the factory alarm/locks (& just add a remote starter) or replace them with a whole remote starter & alarm system.

hrmm...
Mine is working great ... I only really use it when it is bitter cold outside to warm up the car. In the summer's (on my old car) I would use it sometimes to cool the car down ... but not as often as in the summer ... dropping the window's and driving was not bad ... in our winter's the snow & ice on my car (i have to park outside @ home and work) just make you freeze your a$$ off ... so I leave the car with the front defrogger on MAX and then remote start the car ... this way ... in 10 minutes ... the front window is already soft (the ice) and the car is warm on the inside, I also leave my seat heater's on ...

Let me know if you want more info on the CarLink ... it work's well ... but not in all area's ... I can get it to work at the office, and home ... but not at church ... go figure ?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Compustar on my 6MT and really didn't like it. There was a delay when pressing buttons and sometimes the buttons just didn't work. It also didn't have the full feature set I was looking for (for example, I couldn't HOLD down the AUX channel button and have the negative pulse from the brain stay on). I use that to roll the windows down.

I have since installed the Viper 791XV and I prefer it so much to the Compustar. The buttons always work and there's no delay. It also has some cool features which I use. I have it rolling my windows up and down, etc...

The Viper 791XV is not 6MT compatible, but I never leave my car in gear, so it's no big deal. The failsafe I did install was that the handbrake has to be on for the car to start. But that doesn't mean it won't jerk forward if started when in gear. Me and my girlfriend are the only people driving my car and we both never leave it in gear. Next weekend I'm installing another DEI product (the Hornet) in her 5MT Prelude.

As for bypassing the clutch, it's very easy. There's a wire is ground-triggered that gets connected when you push in the clutch. All remote starters have a "ground when running" wire that you can use to trigger things like clutch bypass and immobilizer bypass kits.

Overall, I'm super happy with my remote starter. Of course the Viper 791XV is also a full-featured alarm and convenience unit. It pops the trunk, does the windows, sunroof, doors...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i installed a remote start on my 05 TL, it took me a few hours, but i am able to start the car with the stock KEY FOB

the remote start unit i have is the Valet 561T Remote Start Module, and immobilizer unit from DEI

now when i press the lock button 3 times the car starts, i press it 3 more times it shuts off
Old 01-13-2006, 12:15 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbf351
i installed a remote start on my 05 TL, it took me a few hours, but i am able to start the car with the stock KEY FOB

the remote start unit i have is the Valet 561T Remote Start Module, and immobilizer unit from DEI

now when i press the lock button 3 times the car starts, i press it 3 more times it shuts off
With this solution you get the function's but not the range ... my remote worked from about 30-50 feet ... that is not enough for many who work in office buildings.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AAP
With this solution you get the function's but not the range ... my remote worked from about 30-50 feet ... that is not enough for many who work in office buildings.
you can always extend the antenna of the factory keyless entry module
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
I installed the Compustar on my 6MT and really didn't like it. There was a delay when pressing buttons and sometimes the buttons just didn't work. It also didn't have the full feature set I was looking for (for example, I couldn't HOLD down the AUX channel button and have the negative pulse from the brain stay on). I use that to roll the windows down.

I have since installed the Viper 791XV and I prefer it so much to the Compustar. The buttons always work and there's no delay. It also has some cool features which I use. I have it rolling my windows up and down, etc...

The Viper 791XV is not 6MT compatible, but I never leave my car in gear, so it's no big deal. The failsafe I did install was that the handbrake has to be on for the car to start. But that doesn't mean it won't jerk forward if started when in gear. Me and my girlfriend are the only people driving my car and we both never leave it in gear. Next weekend I'm installing another DEI product (the Hornet) in her 5MT Prelude.

As for bypassing the clutch, it's very easy. There's a wire is ground-triggered that gets connected when you push in the clutch. All remote starters have a "ground when running" wire that you can use to trigger things like clutch bypass and immobilizer bypass kits.

Overall, I'm super happy with my remote starter. Of course the Viper 791XV is also a full-featured alarm and convenience unit. It pops the trunk, does the windows, sunroof, doors...

Which model CompuStar did you have? Was it the Spread Spectrum?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

rbf351 can you give the part number and web site for the factory key to work with the remote start. i really dont care about the range thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 03:54 PM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by AAP
For those of you thinking about getting a remote starter ... I suggest Audiovox ...

Many of you would ask? Why? ...

They may not have the best name in aftermarket alarms ... but their service and warranty are the same as the best. And they have 1 feature that NONE of the competition can touch ... TELEMATICS !!! CARLINK

Get this:

I dial a 1-800 number ... enter a subscriber number+pin number ... and send commands to my car from any phone.

The system I got ... the APS996A ... has a 1400 ft range ... but with the CarLink ... it is a WHERE EVER I have a phone range ...

I can lock, unlock, start, panic, and blink the lights ... on the car ... all for $0 a month .. the only cost is the part (which I got from E-Bay).

Just my 2cents ....
CAN YOU PLEASE XPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS WORKS AND HOW MUCH APPROX. DOES IT COST TO HAVE SUCH A SYSTEM IN YOU R CAR. ALSO WHEN YOU DAIL THE 1800 NUMBER YOU SPEAK WITH A RESPRESENTATIVE OR A MACHINE.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike1988
CAN YOU PLEASE XPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS WORKS AND HOW MUCH APPROX. DOES IT COST TO HAVE SUCH A SYSTEM IN YOU R CAR. ALSO WHEN YOU DAIL THE 1800 NUMBER YOU SPEAK WITH A RESPRESENTATIVE OR A MACHINE.
Basically ... you dial the 800 number, enter a user number + pin, then send a command ... all machine interaction.

It work's as a beeper that attaches to the alarm. There is a $30 activation charge, and a limit of 4 message a day ...
Old 11-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
did you get 1 remote or 2? also does your memory seats work along with window down feature?