Rear speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speakers not working

My kid left the rear dome light on at Christmas, because we were trying to get a DVD out of the DVD player that is mounted in the mid seat (where the cup holders would be). My battery died, and ever since I jumped my car, the rear speakers don't work (the sub does). Not sure if this is just coincidental or not. I usually don't turn my stereo up that loud, so I don't think I would have blown them out. But before I begin tearing everything apart, I was wondering if anyone could think of something simple that it could be. Outside of the DVD player being added everything is stock.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Something really simple.. how about checking the fade maybe it somehow got turned to the the front only.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by muldsr01
My kid left the rear dome light on at Christmas, because we were trying to get a DVD out of the DVD player that is mounted in the mid seat (where the cup holders would be). My battery died, and ever since I jumped my car, the rear speakers don't work (the sub does). Not sure if this is just coincidental or not. I usually don't turn my stereo up that loud, so I don't think I would have blown them out. But before I begin tearing everything apart, I was wondering if anyone could think of something simple that it could be. Outside of the DVD player being added everything is stock.
Do you have a separate amp for the rear speakers? If so check the fuse. Probably not your case, but I use to have a cap inline with my amp that would pop the fuse if my battery died and i jumped the battery before charging the cap.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced

It turns out it's just XM radio. Usually I listen to talk radio, so I didn't really notice. I switched over to FM and a CD, and the rears worked fine. Does XM radio only broadcast in mono?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by muldsr01
It turns out it's just XM radio. Usually I listen to talk radio, so I didn't really notice. I switched over to FM and a CD, and the rears worked fine. Does XM radio only broadcast in mono?
Seems weird and you've tried xm music stations? If it only plays out the front I'd say there's something wrong with the HU.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. FM and AUX work fine but XM is only audible in the front speakers. At higher volumes you can hear the rears all distorted, but the sub is fine. Maybe xm doesn't support Dolby or something?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhiskeyD
Ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. FM and AUX work fine but XM is only audible in the front speakers. At higher volumes you can hear the rears all distorted, but the sub is fine. Maybe xm doesn't support Dolby or something?
Yes, in my case, it was that the Dolby was turned to high. I think my wife may have messed with the settings, because I always had it turned off, and didn't even think to look in the most obvious place. Seems like the noise reduction completely takes out the rear speakers when you're listening to XM radio only. Weird. My whole audio set up is stock for the record.