Question - where'd all the EQ's go???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question - where'd all the EQ's go???

Hello all!

Well after a few weeks of constant screwing around, I've about lost my mind. I think I have this thing tweaked out about the best that I can with what I have, but I really need quite a bit more control over the sound than what the stock HU offers.

I've got the factory amp removed and replaced with a JL Audio 4300, and currently I don't have anything powering the center channel, and I run an old Kenwood D-class amp for the JL 12" sub. I am planning on hooking up the old stock amp for the center back in the trunk next to the JL.

I've also replaced the stock tweeters up front with Kenwood Excelons (spelling?), which boasted impressive specs. They were NOT drop-in replacements, but with a little gorrilla glue, wire snips and time, I was able to get them in using the factory grills and no one is the wiser.

Problem is - it sounds very FLAT. Mids are still too high, highs are too dim. Sub is about perfect, so no issues there.

So I figure ok, I'll go out and find a good 4-channel EQ. But I can't find any!!! All the local shops say they don't stock many EQ's in general, let alone one that's 4-channel. They say all the aftermarket head units replace the need for this. But for those of us who want to retain the factory HU (like a lot of us, I bet) then I believe that this is what I need, but I can't find anything!

So what did you guys do? Did you go through the doors and rear deck speakers with aftermarket speakers that have high SPL's and high frequency responses? I just don't get how many people would be ok with my sound. I mean it's ok for someone just casually listening, but for those of us who are going through this much work to replace audio components, then I gotta imagine that you guys are also not satisfied with the performance of the sound either.

Do you guys run EQ's? Maybe I should just run a 2-channel for the front side to take advantage of the new tweets, or has someone solved this problem and I'm just not finding it?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i agree with you. U could use a rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 wich will give more then plenty options to equalize. What im gonna do in the near future is to put an aftermarket headunit. Something with a high quality preamp.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio control makes some nice stuff. You can get 2,4,6 channel eqs. Alpine makes nice stuff too but you have to buy several things to make it work. I have a phoenix gold eq215ix installed in my car. Its about 10 years old but it does the trick. It has 2 channels in and six out. It has a line driver, crossover, bass control and 15 band eq built in. If you could find one of these you should be happy. Most people dont worry too much about putting an eq on the rear speakers because usually they are set up for fill only.