Question about moving aux-in to dash.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about moving aux-in to dash.

Hello, new 3G TL owner here, just picked up an '07 base MRP (non-navi). Absolutely love it, runs great, and no problems other than failing hood struts which seems like a very easy and cheap fix.

Obligatory pics:

Anyway, I have a question about relocating the aux-in to the dash in order to use a Mountek phone mount without having ugly cables running down the middle of the car. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, just need clarification on one aspect of the install.
My plan is to run an aux cable from the armrest, under the driver side silver trim piece, and out near the audio unit.

I will make a small hole in the trim for the cable to hook into my phone here:

Relocated aux-in:

My main question is whether I will be able to drill through the inside of the armrest to run the cable directly under the trim piece here:

I don't want to hit any wires or screws which may be hiding in there, and I have searched for anyone doing something similar and have been unable to find any info or pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this site has already been an excellent resource.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 AM
4th Gear

Not sure what happened with the second car pic there. Can't edit posts yet unfortunately.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
You really don't need to drill any holes. I have both power (micro usb) and audio (3.5mm plug) cables running underneath the silver trim (garnish) from the center console to just about where you want it. Don't try and have it exit inboard near the radio but rather outboard will be easier. Not quite as clean but better I think in the long run.

Why better ? Well, if this is your first TL know that those silver trim pieces that run each side of the console are wicked expensive to replace and kink/bend very easily as they are aluminum wrapped plastic. You should invest in a trim removal tool and work very carefully starting at the armrest end and working towards the radio. So for me, the less you mess with them and the more "perfect" or "stock" you keep them the better.

Here's my way.

Small notch required here but I'm OK with it as it's completely covered except for when the arm rest console is opened to the deep compartment.

The following 2 users liked this post by Adobeman:
facelewis (03-02-2015), triax37 (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Adobeman. A set of trim tools are on the way along with the mount and audio cable. I definitely don't want to scratch or bend anything so I'm sure they're worth the minimal $5 investment. I think I'll try it your way first, didn't realize that I'd be able to squeeze the cable between the trim and that panel.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:32 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by facelewis
...I think I'll try it your way first, didn't realize that I'd be able to squeeze the cable between the trim and that panel.
Yeah, it all depends on how think your cable is. Admittedly I used a pretty thin one but since I got both the audio and a larger power cord in there I think you can do it. Given it's just the output from a phone I didn't really sweat the cable quality too much.

BTW this is the cable I used 6' version. I like the right angle connectors.
Amazon.com: StarTech.com MU6MMS2RA 6 feet Slim 3.5mm Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M: Electronics Amazon.com: StarTech.com MU6MMS2RA 6 feet Slim 3.5mm Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M: Electronics
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (03-02-2015)