Question about iPhone and HFL transfers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Question about iPhone and HFL transfers.

Guys, I just got an iPhone on Thursday. It paired up perfectly with my Type S.

On my old phone, if I was talking on the device, once I got in the car, I just pressed the HFL button on the car and said "Transfer". The call would then go to the car and to the HFL.

With the iPhone, if you're in the car and it's paired up, and if you call a phone number from your iPhone, you get 3 options in the iPhone screen:
1) Hands Free Link
2) iPhone
3) Speakerphone

If I press the iPhone or Speakerphone buttons on the iPhone, the call dials from the iPhone. But if I press the Hands Free Link button, I don't hear any dialing-either from the phone or the HFL in the car.

So my question is:
1) what is the Hands Free Link button on the iPhone screen for and how do you use it?
2) if I press the HFL button on the car while the iPhone is dialing, the car says, "no number is being dialed." But when I did it with my other phone, you could hear the phone dialing thru the car speaker and the HFL.

Also, what is the proper procedure to transfer a call from an iPhone to the car's HFL or vice versa?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Team Owner

Plus, one other question. I have a 2007 Type S. Will the Phonebook in the iPhone transfer to the Hands Free Link in the car?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question, I've been trying to figure out the same thing. Specifically, how to dial a number with my iPhone 3G and transfer it to HFL. Can't get it to work using the button on the iPhone, or by using the "transfer" command with HFL.

And the Phonebook does import. Although Acura's implementation is clumsy.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattster
And the Phonebook does import. Although Acura's implementation is clumsy.
Yea...I was reading the owner's manual last night and I think it says that if you want a dial a number from your phone book that you have to let it go through the entire list of names in the phone book. Is that really correct??? Can't you just say, "Call Mattster, mobile" and it would go right to your name and cell phone number and dial it?

I talked to ELEGANT TYPE S and he confirmed that you can only transfer a call from an iPhone AFTER you've begun talking to that person.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Or you can do the redial method like I suggested. Kind of annoying and not something you should have to do on a phone and car of this caliber.. but its a quick fix for now.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gentlemen,

I figured this out a while back. The redial method wastes a lot of minutes. What you must do is dial with the iphone connected and then hit handsfreelink when they pick up. It kind of sucks that HFL doesn't get the command when the phone dials but it does get the transfer command from the phone. Nothing is perfect I suppose.

Last edited by ludachrisvt; 03-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Gentlemen,

I figured this out a while back. The redial method wastes a lot of minutes. What you must do is dial with the iphone connected and then hit handsfreelink when they pick up. It kind of sucks that HFL doesn't get the command when the phone dials but it does get the transfer command from the phone. Nothing is perfect I suppose.
That is correct.

And yes, the iPhone does connect to the phonebook in the car and can transfer contacts.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Yea...I was reading the owner's manual last night and I think it says that if you want a dial a number from your phone book that you have to let it go through the entire list of names in the phone book. Is that really correct??? Can't you just say, "Call Mattster, mobile" and it would go right to your name and cell phone number and dial it
That's right. The voice recognition doesn't seem to be true voice-to-text type recognition. Instead, for each name in the HFL system, a voice fingerprint is recorded then associated with the appropriate contact. So imported names from the phone are stored in the phonebook, but you have to transfer the contact to HFL and record a name for it before you can dial by voice.

...but it looks so awesome in that TV commercial...
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Gentlemen,

Ludachrisvt...thank you for this. I was talking with Elegant last night, and I couldn't figure out what that "Hands Free Link" button did or how it worked. So I guess you can just wait till the person you're calling picks up the call.

Originally Posted by mattster
That's right. The voice recognition doesn't seem to be true voice-to-text type recognition. Instead, for each name in the HFL system, a voice fingerprint is recorded then associated with the appropriate contact. So imported names from the phone are stored in the phonebook, but you have to transfer the contact to HFL and record a name for it before you can dial by voice.
...but it looks so awesome in that TV commercial...
Matt, you are right. At lunch, I tried transfering the phonebook to the car. It worked perfectly! And quickly too. You have to go through a few steps to get to the phonebook on the Nav Screen, but it's so cool !!! You do have to set up a voice command for anyone in your Phonebook.

I actually called the toll free HFL Customer Service number on the Acura website. Wow...they were VERY helpful. I talked to a young lady who really knew her stuff.

Plus, if you add anyone to your phonebook on the iPhone, the car will not automatically pick it up. You must delete your phonebook and then reload it into the TL.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 514 Likes on 290 Posts
I have setup only about 3 numbers using the voice command thing, but i did pair my phonebook. I almost never dial from the iPhone and then switch to HFL, because during the pause almost everyone hangs up on me. So if I don't dial one of the 3 numbers i have set voice commands for, i just find it in the phonebook and dial it there.

my biggest complaint is that if you setup the voice volume to hear the person on the phone properly the hfl lady yells "DIALING THE NUMBER RECEIVED FROM THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM!!!!!!!" then ur like omfg turning the dial way down, then when someone answers the phone you barely hear anything (especially on the highway).
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
I have setup only about 3 numbers using the voice command thing, but i did pair my phonebook. I almost never dial from the iPhone and then switch to HFL, because during the pause almost everyone hangs up on me. So if I don't dial one of the 3 numbers i have set voice commands for, i just find it in the phonebook and dial it there.

my biggest complaint is that if you setup the voice volume to hear the person on the phone properly the hfl lady yells "DIALING THE NUMBER RECEIVED FROM THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM!!!!!!!" then ur like omfg turning the dial way down, then when someone answers the phone you barely hear anything (especially on the highway).
Raise your bluetooth volume on your phone. That will solve your problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Raise your bluetooth volume on your phone. That will solve your problem.
That worked like a charm, thanks !
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

OK guys...one more question about this stuff. Today, I was talking to someone while I was in a store. I walked to my car, turned it on, but wanted to transfer the call I was already on to the HFL-once the car was on and the iPhone was linked to the car upon starting the car. Can you still press the button on the HFL and say "Transfer" and the call will transfer to the car's HFL?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Phonebook Transfer?

Plus, one other question. I have a 2007 Type S. Will the Phonebook in the iPhone transfer to the Hands Free Link in the car?
What about a 2005 Acura TL? Does the phonebook transfer with that too or do I have to manually record?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Team Owner

Actually, you should do both. First, you should record frequently called people and put them in your HFL. But if the 2005 will download the phonebook, that's where you'll have the rest of your contacts on the TL. But I'm not sure if the '05 will download the phonebook. It might have been a feature in the newer models.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, you should do both. First, you should record frequently called people and put them in your HFL. But if the 2005 will download the phonebook, that's where you'll have the rest of your contacts on the TL. But I'm not sure if the '05 will download the phonebook. It might have been a feature in the newer models.
That's what I did, recorded in the HFL the phone numbers I call frequently and also imported my phonebook from the iPhone. One complaint is that the voice match on the HFL isn't very good if the car is rolling. The extra noise always makes it understand 'Ashlee' even though I say 'home'.

I think the phonebook import is an 07-08 option.

As far as the transfer from iPhone to HFL I did it once but it was very cumbersome since I didn't know of the Transfer command, so I hit the talk button on the HFL and the blutooth option on the phone and possibly hit
talk a few more times and it transfered. However there were many "hello you there?" from both sides so I wasn't very smooth.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
OK guys...one more question about this stuff. Today, I was talking to someone while I was in a store. I walked to my car, turned it on, but wanted to transfer the call I was already on to the HFL-once the car was on and the iPhone was linked to the car upon starting the car. Can you still press the button on the HFL and say "Transfer" and the call will transfer to the car's HFL?
on my 06 Non-Navi, when I walk to the car and turn it on while in the middle of a call, I just hit the HFL button the iPhone screen and it transfers instantly.

Sometimes it will transfer automatically if the phone is brought back within distance of the HFL and the car is already on. For instance I was at the carwash the other day and the car was about a good 20-30 ft away. I was inside the office on a call. I walked outside to get some fresh air and suddenly I heard my call being blasted through my car cause the carwash guy had the ignition on and the stereo turned up. I had to hit iPhone to switch the call back to my phone...lol

Otherwise, like you already posted, It's only when you initiate a call from the iPhone that you have to wait till the person on the other line picks up before you can transfer the call over to HFL.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

^^^That's good to know-I'll have to try that out.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
on my 06 Non-Navi, when I walk to the car and turn it on while in the middle of a call, I just hit the HFL button the iPhone screen and it transfers instantly.

Sometimes it will transfer automatically if the phone is brought back within distance of the HFL and the car is already on. For instance I was at the carwash the other day and the car was about a good 20-30 ft away. I was inside the office on a call. I walked outside to get some fresh air and suddenly I heard my call being blasted through my car cause the carwash guy had the ignition on and the stereo turned up. I had to hit iPhone to switch the call back to my phone...lol

Otherwise, like you already posted, It's only when you initiate a call from the iPhone that you have to wait till the person on the other line picks up before you can transfer the call over to HFL.
if I just hit the BlueTooth button on the iPhone it won't transfer, I need to hit the talk button also, but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I just cycle through that a few times and usually on the 2nd attempt i get it to work, but it's not seamless, I do tell the person on the line to 'wait'.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by holografique
on my 06 Non-Navi, when I walk to the car and turn it on while in the middle of a call, I just hit the HFL button on the iPhone screen and it transfers instantly.

But that HFL button on my iPhone doesn't stay on all the time for me. How do you get back to that screen or does it stay on all the time for you?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:17 PM
5th Gear

bothersome glitch

I read this thread with hope that someone had figured out how to dial from the handset but not have to wait until the call was answered (and then hit HFL). This is one of those quirky little things that gets under my skin.
I need a "there's an APP for that" about now. I'd actually pay for it!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

TJ, it's a software issue. It's just one of those iPhone things....sorry.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
abacon

maybe they'll fix it with a software update soon. hopefully. I just got an iphone over the holidays and ran into the same problem today. Not very thrilled about it.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
so did we confirm that the 2006 TL with NAVI will NOT download the iphone contact list??