AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/)
-   -   Question about GPS/climate control (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/question-about-gps-climate-control-593149/)

TSXDetroit 03-20-2006 11:08 PM

Question about GPS/climate control

The online specs for the 2006 TL say that the car uses GPS to help the climate control adjust for sun on either side of the car. This is listed as a "standard feature," which I take to mean does not require Navi in order to work. But in the brochure from the dealer, the explanation of how the climate control works with GPS is qualified by a comment in parenthesis "with navigation."

So does a TL without Navi have a GPS that works with the climate control, or is this just for the models with Navi?

I know this is a pretty retentive question, but hey, I want to know everything before I decide on a car. Thanks in advance!

audi_to_TL 03-21-2006 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by TSXDetroit
The online specs for the 2006 TL say that the car uses GPS to help the climate control adjust for sun on either side of the car. This is listed as a "standard feature," which I take to mean does not require Navi in order to work. But in the brochure from the dealer, the explanation of how the climate control works with GPS is qualified by a comment in parenthesis "with navigation."

So does a TL without Navi have a GPS that works with the climate control, or is this just for the models with Navi?

I know this is a pretty retentive question, but hey, I want to know everything before I decide on a car. Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure it only comes with the navigation....it works but its really not as impressive as it sounds.

SnappyPappy 03-21-2006 05:46 AM

That ad is for the RL - not the TL. The RL has GPS. The TL uses a sensor on the dashboard to determine sun heat and adjusts the flow of cooler air to hotter side of car . . . I'm not sure how good it works. Never really noticed any difference. :thumbsup:

HiTEC 03-21-2006 06:06 AM

They have the same ad for the TL

Ron A 03-21-2006 08:16 AM

The TL with navi uses GPS to determine the position of the car in relation to the sun, and it uses this to adjust the air conditioning. This is in addition to the other sensors in the car.

This feature has been available since the 3G TL was first sold. It is not available on non-navi cars.

TSXDetroit 03-21-2006 10:32 AM

Thanks for the responses, all.

gt1 03-21-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
That ad is for the RL - not the TL. The RL has GPS. The TL uses a sensor on the dashboard to determine sun heat and adjusts the flow of cooler air to hotter side of car . . . I'm not sure how good it works. Never really noticed any difference. :thumbsup:

You are partially correct. Sensor on the dashboard senses only overall conditions- sun/ clouds/ darkness- obviuosly you need more A/C on a sunny day. Only Navi cars have GPS based directional fine tuning of the climate control. I most definteley fell the difference, and I find that the whole system works exceptionally well.

weedeater 03-22-2006 05:18 PM

I just wish the Nav was smart enough to switch to Night mode at sunset, since it knows where the sun supposedly is located.

MinhDang 03-22-2006 05:37 PM

In the SetUp, can you just set it to AUTO regarding the sunset/darkness issues?

RJANACONDA 03-23-2006 04:59 AM

yes you can set it to "auto" but that means that it goes to night settings for the display when you turn on your headlights

TallDarknFugly 05-01-2006 01:12 AM

Wouldn't this feature turn the vehicle into a gasoholic?