Quality of 'Aftermarket' Speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality of 'Aftermarket' Speakers...

I have a question about the quality of Aftermarket Speakers... In my old car i had some really nice speakers in my front, and some decent upgraded ones in my back (both sets were WAY better then what the car came with - RSX-s)

With this car though... the stock system sounds fine tuned (especially with the 5.1 DVD-A)

I was worried about changing the stock speakers with pairs that arent the exact same quality (one set is 3-way rockfords, the other is 2-way kenwood)

I wouldnt want to mess up my 5.1 quality...

Am i being paranoid... or will these upgraded speakers give me a nicer boost in performance?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what you value...If you're listening to a lot of 5.1 audio, then you might want to maintain sameness between front and rear (The rear speakers in the TL are the same as the front L and R.) If you like 2 channel sources, then it might not matter to you what your rear fill is like in relation to your front stage.

If you are just changing out your speakers (no amps), just make sure you go with high-efficiency speakers designed for high output at low wattage, and try to audition them in that situation, or else get recommendations from people with similar installs (like on this forum).

And you're right, the quality of speakers in newer factory sound systems is somewhat better, in most cases, than what there was in the past...that, and you're driving a more high-end car now.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd suggest the Infinity line

Do a search for "speakers" you'll see a few hits.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the consensus on this board is that the TL's stock speakers are REALLY good and in order to have any improvement with aftermarket speakers, they have to be top-of-the-line. Think Infinity Kappa or similar.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For an average consumer like my wife and sisters, the stock setup is fine. For me, I find the stock speakers barely adequate. I will just be blunt, they suck. I just swapped out the front with coaxial Eclipse Point Source (meant for the rear)and they sound 10 times clearer and will not distort as the stock. If you turn to somewhere 30 and up and you will notice that the stock speakers distort and they sound aweful. I also disabled the tweeters in the process. If I had more time to run the wires from the factory tweeter to the crossover to be placed inside the door panel, I would have replaced them with components.