Puttin' Songs on a DVD, Not DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puttin' Songs on a DVD, Not DVD-A

Is it possible to burn songs to a blank DVD+R and play them in our Tl's? I'm not looking for the surround sound efect, I just want to cram a bunch of songs on one disk. I've read that DiscWelder will burn the 5.1 for you, but will Roxio burn "regular stereo" songs to a DVD?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Racer

els system only support DVD-R disk only... no +-RW disk at all.

you can use disc welder for the task and only unless the file was orginally 5.1 channel encoded, than it will burn in 5.1 or otherwise it will be steore only.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Okay, let me ask this another way. Can I burn songs to a DVD (+, -, or whatever it takes) with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 (DVD Burning App), or Nero, and then play them in our 3rd Gen Tl's? I already own Roxio. Nero too, and I guess I'm too cheap to buy the Discwelder App.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Neither Roxio nor Nero will author a DVD-Audio, so no you will have to get some additional software (like Discwelder) to do that for you.

Mike
Old 11-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
i have an "evaluation" copy of diskwelder, and tried it for about 5mins today. It was pretty confusing, I couldn't figure out how to make the multiple groups that you guys were talking about, so you can numerous cd's on one dvd
Old 11-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Did you RTFM? Discwelder is pretty much like Easy CD Creator was about 5 years ago from a user interface perspective.

Multiple groups can only be done by Discwelder Chrome. I don't think anyone here wants to spend $2500 on that feature.

Mike
Old 11-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Update... I downloaded the "30-day trial period" of BurnNow, from ULEAD.Com, and tried burning a disk. It's pretty straightforward, just add songs to a window in the program and select BURN. One annoying thing about it is that it goes through about 30 minutes of "Muxing" (pre-converting songs?) before it burns. It found several of my songs that were "damaged or corrupt". When it does this, all you can do is delete the song from the burn-list and LET IT START OVER! Since it stops at the first one it finds and there is no resume mode, it took me about an hour and a half to finally get a burned DVD of about 80 songs (alot of dance remix/extended version songs).

All I had at the house were some blank DVD+R's, and sure enough, it don't play in the TL. I'm gonna pick-up some DVD-R's on the way home from work tonight and try again. I'll let you guys now what happens.

BTW, this appears to be a full version and the program only cost $40. It doesn't appear to do 5.1 authoring, it just slaps songs on a DVD in regular stereo.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Does BurnNow do DVD-A. If not, it will not work in the TL, even on a DVD-R. The disc must in the DVD-A format or it will not play. Remember, DVD-A doesn't = 5.1 surround. It is the format. I used WaveLab to burn my multiple group disc in stereo. The only other alternative I've seen is Discwelder. I highly doubt you'll be able to find any DVD-A authoring software for under $100 unless you find Discwelder on sale.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When burning 2-channel encoded songs in DVD-A format, how many minutes of audio can you fit on a DVD-R? Does anyone know?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Awesome to the Max

haha...i just realized what RTFM means...
Old 11-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was looking for cheaper alternatives to Discwelder and found Gear DVD:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/dvd/index.cfm

It's not that much cheaper (~$80) and I'm not sure if it can put the hundred tracks of stereo audio or about the groups, but the website does say it burns DVD-audio.

Has anyone heard about this Gear DVD or better yet tried it out?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Advanced

I tried the free trial of Gear DVD, but could not figure it out. It wants the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders for some reason.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by MrBadGUy
I tried the free trial of Gear DVD, but could not figure it out. It wants the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders for some reason.
Probably because Gear is just a burning package and assumes you've pre-made the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders from a different program?

I was able to put roughly 99 tracks on each DVD-A I've burned so far. At ~4 minutes a piece, that is about 6.6 hours of music.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Lore,

Wow! And the TL can read it? What's the quality? Which program are you using to burn audio?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Finally got some DVD-R's (Memorex 8x) and tried a burn with BurnNow. The disk loads into the car and even flashes "DVD-A" in the display, then spits it right back out. I wanted to contact Ulead about it to see if they could give me a little troubleshooting help, but there is no contact/support link for BurnNow "trial" customers. I hate to have to buy the program just to get support, for something that ain't working right now, just to find out later that it will never work.

You guys think it could be the Media?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
see if you can play it on your computer nukys, if you can, then Ulead may not close the disc or something since its a Trial version, trials are usually limited
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Advanced

limited, yes it is to 30 days!!! not trashing my blank DVD-R !!!

I used maxell DVD and it did the same thing as nukys described.

Back to Discwelder or Wavelab.......
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Instructor

I am getting my DVD writer on Monday and inquired in another thread if burning a DVD -/+ R or -/+ RW will work in my TL and nobody seems to know the answser.
I will check in with this thread on your results and let you know if I get any headway.
I think it is somewhat promising that the audio system actually read the disc as DVD-A though.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Banned

The Asnwer!!

I have spent countless hours working on the DVD-Audio dics...

Here is the conclusion..

2 Programs to use, Discwelder Chrome, and WaveLab

Discwelder, is about $4000 and Wavelab $500, or use bittorrent and its free, but besides the point..

If you want to do DTS 6 channel DVD-A, you can use Discwelder and it will burn DVD-A perfectly that will play in the ELS System fine. You can even add multiple groups, and possibly take it a step further and rip regular DVD-Video (Audio Tracks with Smart Ripper) and then use Besweet to convert them to6 channel waves, and then you can listen to your favorite dvd concerts in the car in DTS...

If you want to make a compilation DVD, in plain 2 channel, and just put like 85 mp3's on 1 DVD or even a few different albums in differnet groups, then use Wavelab.

It has troulbe with some DVD burners, so you can just make an ISO and then burn it with Nero or something. But it will do exactly what you need.

Hope this helps, If anyone has any questions just shoot me a msg ill be glad to help..
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MINTCENT
I have spent countless hours working on the DVD-Audio dics...

Here is the conclusion..

2 Programs to use, Discwelder Chrome, and WaveLab

Discwelder, is about $4000 and Wavelab $500, or use bittorrent and its free, but besides the point..

If you want to do DTS 6 channel DVD-A, you can use Discwelder and it will burn DVD-A perfectly that will play in the ELS System fine. You can even add multiple groups, and possibly take it a step further and rip regular DVD-Video (Audio Tracks with Smart Ripper) and then use Besweet to convert them to6 channel waves, and then you can listen to your favorite dvd concerts in the car in DTS...

If you want to make a compilation DVD, in plain 2 channel, and just put like 85 mp3's on 1 DVD or even a few different albums in differnet groups, then use Wavelab.

It has troulbe with some DVD burners, so you can just make an ISO and then burn it with Nero or something. But it will do exactly what you need.

Hope this helps, If anyone has any questions just shoot me a msg ill be glad to help..
My angle on this whole thing is that my car I had prior had an MP3 player. I just want to be able to play various tracks (50+ tracks) which I have on my computer in my TL. I was considering buying an IPOD but don't particulaly like the messy wires and poor sound quality an RF transmitter will introduce.

So can I take Nero 6 and burn MP3's somehow onto a DVD which will play in my TL ?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:57 PM

I have both chrome and wavelab, and they arent very user friendly. I couldnt figure it out within 5 mins so I gave up.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Achance
I have both chrome and wavelab, and they arent very user friendly. I couldnt figure it out within 5 mins so I gave up.
Then this DVD-A creation stuff isn't ready for you. If you think DW is user-unfriendly, don't even bother downloading BeSweet etc. to do the audio extraction from DVDs.

Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by svtmike
Then this DVD-A creation stuff isn't ready for you. If you think DW is user-unfriendly, don't even bother downloading BeSweet etc. to do the audio extraction from DVDs.

Mike
I just want to put a bunch of cds onto one dvd-a I dont care about surround sound. I have the full wavelab, it isnt the simple bronze version so it has a bunch of other features. Is there a just a simple way to send over your wav files, like nero has when trying to burn a normal cd?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:33 PM

I just want to put a bunch of cds onto one dvd-a I dont care about surround sound. I have the full wavelab, it isnt the simple bronze version so it has a bunch of other features. Is there a just a simple way to send over your wav files, like nero has when trying to burn a normal cd?
There is no simple way to create a DVD-A in WaveLab, or at least that I know of. Check your PM's. I'm sending you the process I used to make mine.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Banned

automata... im not sure what method you are trying, but wavelab is for the most part very easy to use, it just takes some time....

Here is a basic summary of how to create DVD-A that will play with NO problems in a Acura TL that contains a Multiple CD Compliation, Using different group on a regular DVD-R.. ( I have been suing memorx, and I have about 25 of them made... and they all work perfect)

to make a DVD-A in wavelab that is just a bunch of different cd's

Just create a new audio montage
each montage will be "a group"
fill the audio montage with all the songs u want
Under the DVD-A tab,make sure to select DVD,
and when you have all the songs in the audio montage, you click this little wand looking button, its the wizard, and thats what will seperate the songs into different tracks, so its just one long song when you click the wand, just click APPLY

save the audio montage... repeat the process to whatever albums you want

create a new DVD-A Project

then just click the little + button, and add the audio montage files...

BAM

thats it... easy as 1,2,3.... it will even show you how much space each montage will take up on the DVD-A
Old 11-12-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MINTCENT
automata... im not sure what method you are trying, but wavelab is for the most part very easy to use, it just takes some time....

Here is a basic summary of how to create DVD-A that will play with NO problems in a Acura TL that contains a Multiple CD Compliation, Using different group on a regular DVD-R.. ( I have been suing memorx, and I have about 25 of them made... and they all work perfect)

to make a DVD-A in wavelab that is just a bunch of different cd's

Just create a new audio montage
each montage will be "a group"
fill the audio montage with all the songs u want
Under the DVD-A tab,make sure to select DVD,
and when you have all the songs in the audio montage, you click this little wand looking button, its the wizard, and thats what will seperate the songs into different tracks, so its just one long song when you click the wand, just click APPLY

save the audio montage... repeat the process to whatever albums you want

create a new DVD-A Project

then just click the little + button, and add the audio montage files...

BAM

thats it... easy as 1,2,3.... it will even show you how much space each montage will take up on the DVD-A
Well, that pretty much sums up the process I used. What I meant was that WaveLab is not as simple as a CD Creator type of software. It is especialy hard to use if you don't have any instructions.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:04 PM

ok i think i figured it out. I didnt know I had to create a new audio montage for each cd, I might make a how to with screen shots if I'm bored tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Cruisin'

That would be great if you could make screen shots.......I’ve been having the hardest time make a DVD-a...But I've got plenty of coasters

ok i think i figured it out. I didnt know I had to create a new audio montage for each cd, I might make a how to with screen shots if I'm bored tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

I still personally think this is a good alternative to paying for anything at all:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-want-txt-msg-alert-tone-help-94429/

and it worked for me on a ritek DVD+A (in my car).

i should check out this new 30-day trial thing though.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Racer

OK, maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I have created a disc. Basically 5 CDs. Each CD created as a group. The disc plays fine except that I can't figure out how to switch to the next group. I've looked in the manual a few tims and don't see anything about this. So what am I doing wrong here?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

There's an undocumented way to switch groups - hold the leftmost two round buttons on the radio down simultaneously for about 3 or 4 seconds - the system will beep and switch to the next group.

Mike
Old 11-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by svtmike
There's an undocumented way to switch groups - hold the leftmost two round buttons on the radio down simultaneously for about 3 or 4 seconds - the system will beep and switch to the next group.

Mike
Thanks Mike. That works. I'd like to see a way to play all the groups without any intervention.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

I don't believe there is any.

Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Banned

Anyone able to get Wavelab to burn directly to a DVD-A without making an Image.. Wavelab will not find my burner NEC 2510..

Just curious
Old 11-16-2004, 12:20 PM
6th Gear

hi,
Just out of curiosity with discwelder, If you have a 5.1 surround wav and just drag it to the track, will it lay down or burn as a surround track or must it be converted first to 6 mono wavs that are placed in there respective track places in discwelder?
Jay
Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Team Anthracite Member

MINTCENT,

Wavelab didn't find my burner either (an IDE Dual-Layer LG drive). So I made an .ISO and burned it with DVDDecrypter. Cool program that Wavelab though. I can fit a lot of regular CD-Audio quality files on one DVD-A and it works in the TL. Awesome!!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
MINTCENT,

Wavelab didn't find my burner either (an IDE Dual-Layer LG drive). So I made an .ISO and burned it with DVDDecrypter. Cool program that Wavelab though. I can fit a lot of regular CD-Audio quality files on one DVD-A and it works in the TL. Awesome!!

How many songs or time can you get on a disc?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I haven't filled one up, but I think you can put about 5 hours of music on one DVD-A. I put two full albums on one last night, and it only took 1.5gig. And there's 4.7gig on a DVD...
Old 11-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian Mike
How many songs or time can you get on a disc?
I tried to put 104 songs on a disc once and it told me that 99 songs was the limit even though the 104 songs was under 4.7 gigs.

So.....the answer is 99.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone know where to get bittorrents for "certain apps"? I've looked at Suprnova, Youceff, Lokitorrent, no luck. I've already bought a few programs that ended up not working so I'm afraid to spend anymore without trying first. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Puttin' Songs on a DVD, Not DVD-A