Proposed A/V Upgrade: Thoughts, comments appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proposed A/V Upgrade: Thoughts, comments appreciated!

Hey everyone --

I have a 2004 TL w/ Nav, and I've been dying to get a clean line in for my iPod for ages. But after reading a bit on this thread about the PIE multi-source input, I think I've found my answer.

As a result, I've been thinking about doing the following upgrade, which requires the following parts:

PIE X3 Multi Source Adapter - $59.95

PIE Acura Plug and Play Harness - $29.95

Blitzsafe UII iPOD Interface - $59.95

The reason for the Blitzsafe is to charge the iPod while playing... I'm planning on either using the proclip mount for the ipod, or just keeping the ipod in the top storage bin on the center console, and have the iPod cable feed into that. Also, I wanted to run an extra 1/8" mini input into the PIE unit that feeds into the top storage bin of the center console as well, just in case I want to plug in some other audio unit that isn't an iPod in the future. Finally, I was planning on putting the PIE selector switch in the bottom flip-up storage area of the dash, where the 12V power adapter is.

This also got me thinking, though -- if I was upgrading, why not also add:

TV and Nav 2 go unit off the group buy - $150-275, depending on plug and play or not
Slim PS2 (for DVD and gaming) - $150

where I'd also want to have an RCA-video splitter on the Nav2Go Unit, with the second video input accessible somewhere -- again, in case I want to hook something up later (would a simple y-RCA cable work fine for video, as long as I just have one source on at once?). I was thinking of putting the PS2 in the glove compartment.

I just wanted to know peoples' thoughts about my upgrade plan, and the parts and feasibility of all of this. I probably would want an installer since I've never done any car installation before, but if it isn't too difficult, I might give it a try... However, though the PIE and TV2NAV units are more or less plug and play, I don't really know how to connect the Blitzsafe to the power, and also, does anyone know how to connect the PS2 to the power supply as well (instead of through some DC-AC inverter)?

Anyone know any good installers in the Boston area, and any idea how long something like this might take for a pro? I found a place online (Rich's Car Tunes), but they charge something like $90/hr, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with them if its going to take a lot of time.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Here's to hoping this works.