Please help! Dealer suggested aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Dealer suggested aftermarket headunit

have an 04 TL (no navi) and the CD player suddenly stopped playing discs... radio still works fine.

The dealership told me that it would have to be replaced, and since I'm on extended warranty (acura plus) audio is not covered. price would be $1,200 for the new unit. So the sercive advisor suggested that I should just get an aftermarket one and suggested a place in Ottawa that does good, clean work.

I dont know how the dealer came to the conclusion that it must be changed since they didnt actually take the unit out...

After searching on this board, I noticed that most people do not recommend changing the headunit on the TL... but this is the piece that I was told needs to be replaced.

Its too bad the the trim has those 2 half moon cut outs for the volume/dial nobs, but I'm sure there's something that can be done to make an aftermarket unit look pretty good, right?

Any suggestions? I liked the pics I saw on here of an Alpine IVA-W200, but would a single DIN also look good ? something cheaper maybe... I don't really care about 5.1 since I only listen to CD's, but I want the stock sub to still be active.

thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check ebay If you really want to replace the stock HU with another stock HU. I see them all the time. Check local junk yards too
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Ummm.. my extended warranty covers my nav and radio.. everything but wear/tear, and maintenance items should be covered. Since you cannot really maintain your radio, that should be replaced under the extended warranty.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I agree with the ebay idea, you can get a navi screen, radio and drive for that price there, so finding a radio should not be that hard. Also I would contact Tim at hondaacuraworld.com as he can do magic with prices on acura/honda parts.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

i'd like to know why the dealer told you it's not covered.. is it not an Acura Care warranty? My finance guy specifically noted the nav system..
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
2004 TL / AUTO

thanks for the suggestions. I like the ebay idea, I looked at it last night but havent seen one for an 04 TL, non-navi. If you buy one off Ebay, can you still get the required radio code? I also noticed that the unit comes as one piece that includes the stereo and top screen with the ventilation buttons, so I'm hoping that an American model would work on my Canadian one (the display for the Ameciran one must be in F whereas the Canadian one is in Celcius, but I dont think this would be an issue)

Regarding the warranty. I have the canadian Acura Plus extended security plan. The chart states that all genuine Acura electronics are covered, but also states that audio equipment is excluded from this.... maybe its different than the American one... doesnt look as good.

I will keep searching Ebay! Anywhere else I could check for OEM Acura parts? I will contact honda acura world to see the price for this unit.

thanks again.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

weird.. I have the Acura Care warranty on a certified used; it states specifically in what is NOT covered: audio/electronics 'except genuine honda/acura audio systems/dvd navigation system' (that's not word for word.. I will look at it when I get home and tell you exactly what it says, but that's the basics of it)
Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

New Option...

I spoke with the dealership again and this time the guy I spoke with said that they can take the unit out of my car and send it to some company (pioner or someone else...) that will fix it. They would get it back in about 3 weeks time. Cost would be $260 for repair and approx. $100 for labour to take out and put back in. I think this might be my best option.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Originally Posted by Timmahh
weird.. I have the Acura Care warranty on a certified used; it states specifically in what is NOT covered: audio/electronics 'except genuine honda/acura audio systems/dvd navigation system' (that's not word for word.. I will look at it when I get home and tell you exactly what it says, but that's the basics of it)

My brochure specifically says that audio is excluded from genuine acura parts... all other electrical parts are covered by the extended warranty. kinda sucks...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
radio removal is very simple, you can save 100 dollars thru that. Also waht they would do is send it to alpine (the manufacturer) and have them fix it. I would look around junk yards near you to see if they have one. Also contact a member named PSHEU, he is located in florida and has a spare unit which he can sell to you maybe.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say put out an ad in the Black Market that says you are looking for one and a member with an after market system will most likely sell you their stock one.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:50 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

That's so odd.. here is the verbage from my service contract (Acura Care)

II. COVERAGE
A. PARTS
".. All VEHICLE parts are covered by this CONTRACT, subject to the terms and conditions herein and except as excluded by article IV.."

EXAMPLE OF SYSTEMS COVERED
Several items listed, but specifically:
- AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES: including cellular telephones, rear entertainment and DVD systems that are factory installed, or DEALER installed according to AMERICAN HONDA factory specifications.

- GENUINE ACURA FACTORY INSTALLED NAVIGATIONAL DEVICES

IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED

"...rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; floor mats; electronics/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT, AND SECURITY SYSTEMS"

Obviously you have a different warranty but it's complete BS your radio isn't covered.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Thanks for all of the good suggestions, I'll consider my options... I didnt even know about that blackmarket part of the site.... I'll have to check it out.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
I have a first gen TL and my CD player didn't work from day one when my aunt owned the car and because all I listen to are my own CDs I had an aftermarket headunit put in. It came with an ipod connector but most aftermarket headunits don't so you have to pay like $50 for it but mine cost like $250, installation, bracket and harness included.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

In an older car where it's less integrated an aftermarket setup would be fine but the center stack is so scultped and everything is so integrated it would look weird i think =/