PIE X3 it is... Multiple Video sources, video switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:45 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
PIE X3 it is... Multiple Video sources, video switch?

So after weeks of deliberation, here are my conclusions.

Strike 1) Both Blitsafe and USA SPEC both have known minor issues with 2006 TL's. This is expected to be fixed with a firmware upgrade i the next week or so...

Strike 2) Even when these bugs are fixed, integration consists of CD Changer based emulation, and will never be any better. Most folks seem to run USA SPEC in "direct mode" and control the Ipod through the Ipod click wheel because the integration is so bad. Read the instuction about the 5 playlists named HONDA1... That's just plain ugly.

Strike 3) The 2006 TSX uses an AUX port natively, which does not provide integration either... so it's obvious this is not on Honda's roadmap, and ipod integration will never be realized,as I expect to see the same in the 2007 TL.

So why am I hung up on the USA SPEC type devices, when they bring really nothing to the table.

Here's the new plan.
PIE X3 with DOMS NAV unit... I'll buy a seperate charger for the IPOD and hardwire it to the cigarette lighter circuit, or run switched power.

Problem is I now have (3)audio source inputs and only (1) video input source (from DOM's).

I'd really like to have 3 video sources too.
1) IPOD Video
2) 3/4 DIN DVD in glovebox
3) PS2 under seat

Ideally, I'd like a video splitter that will let me isolate the PS2 to rear headrest video at the flick of a switch to entertain the kids. I would hope the AV switcher has headphone output to supprt that as well.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative to Doms

It's a bit more exspensive but will give you multiple audio and video in and outs.

http://www.mazdaparts.com/ProductDet...000-1112606399
Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Instructor

DVD player with a/v ports

if u get a DVD player that has the a/v ports in the front of the back of the unit wouldnt that work? OR just elinate the dvd player and use the ps2.....cause it already plays DVD saves u money that way. i dunno just my im also thinking of doin the same thing. but i dont care for PS2 however i already have one so it will be better if just install it in my car and i should be fine.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Kennedy
So after weeks of deliberation, here are my conclusions.

Strike 1) Both Blitsafe and USA SPEC both have known minor issues with 2006 TL's. This is expected to be fixed with a firmware upgrade i the next week or so...

Strike 2) Even when these bugs are fixed, integration consists of CD Changer based emulation, and will never be any better. Most folks seem to run USA SPEC in "direct mode" and control the Ipod through the Ipod click wheel because the integration is so bad. Read the instuction about the 5 playlists named HONDA1... That's just plain ugly.

Strike 3) The 2006 TSX uses an AUX port natively, which does not provide integration either... so it's obvious this is not on Honda's roadmap, and ipod integration will never be realized,as I expect to see the same in the 2007 TL.

So why am I hung up on the USA SPEC type devices, when they bring really nothing to the table.

Here's the new plan.
PIE X3 with DOMS NAV unit... I'll buy a seperate charger for the IPOD and hardwire it to the cigarette lighter circuit, or run switched power.

Problem is I now have (3)audio source inputs and only (1) video input source (from DOM's).

I'd really like to have 3 video sources too.
1) IPOD Video
2) 3/4 DIN DVD in glovebox
3) PS2 under seat

Ideally, I'd like a video splitter that will let me isolate the PS2 to rear headrest video at the flick of a switch to entertain the kids. I would hope the AV switcher has headphone output to supprt that as well.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?
what issues does the Blitzsafe have? Mines working great!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
xtin, you don't have an '06.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Toronto-TL
It's a bit more exspensive but will give you multiple audio and video in and outs.

http://www.mazdaparts.com/ProductDet...000-1112606399
Has anyone looked at this thing... It's the friggin' bomb. I'm dumping my Dom's unit right now... anyone interested in my NIB Dom's unit?

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm

- 3 camera inputs (1 automatic, 2 Video) - after speaking with the tech, he said run a spliiter off the camer so you can have th eautomatic reverse camera, or turn it on by tuning to the input AT WILL.
- 1 S-video A/V input
- 2 composite A/V inputs
- built in TV Tuner (need a $40 antenna)
- 3 video OUTPUTS to headrests and such
- PNP to Acura
- RF (no line of sight required) controlled unit, no toggle switches required!

$600 with tvtuner ($550 without)... Kinda steep, but when you add up the costs of a USA SPEC, a DOM's PNP unit, and such it's almost the same price... plus you get all these other features and expandability. Talk about scalable.

Looks like my plan has changed again.
Holy crap I'm pumped up for this thing.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by datmrman
xtin, you don't have an '06.
Same EXACT Nav/Audio system as the 06
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by xtin
Same EXACT Nav/Audio system as the 06
Just basing my thoughts on the numerous posts here stating that they're having troubles with the blitzsafe and thier 2006 car.

Seems to be hit and miss though. Glad yours is working out nicely.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Just basing my thoughts on the numerous posts here stating that they're having troubles with the blitzsafe and thier 2006 car.

Seems to be hit and miss though. Glad yours is working out nicely.
I dont know what problems people are having, I think I saw someone say their XM is disabled and HFL doesnt work but mine is flawless. Maybe its the installation?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

xtin, its a firmware issue. I don't remember the exact problems but there have been numerous posts about Blitzsafe/USA Spec malfunctioning with the '06 TL. Both companies know about the issue and claim they will have updates soon. If you look at most online stores that sell these, they will list the '04-'05 TL as being compatible (not the '06).

Kennedy, I checked out that link on the avelectronic. I've seen it before. I don't see how the unit is providing audio though. It seems like its all video support, which is like Dom. If that is the case, you will still need another audio interface with it. It looks like a hyped up version of Dom's unit. Personally, I don't see a use for that many video inputs.

Oh and BTW, I've been thinking about a video switch box as well. I have one for home use. Now if only I can find a mini version of it to use in the car.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Kennedy, I checked out that link on the avelectronic. I've seen it before. I don't see how the unit is providing audio though. It seems like its all video support, which is like Dom. If that is the case, you will still need another audio interface with it. It looks like a hyped up version of Dom's unit. Personally, I don't see a use for that many video inputs.

Oh and BTW, I've been thinking about a video switch box as well. I have one for home use. Now if only I can find a mini version of it to use in the car.
dat,
Nope, it's like a PIEX3 AND Dom's unit combined on a steroid cocktail.
See the pic:

Those are audio AND video jacks. I called an asked too.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I don't see how the unit is providing audio though. It seems like its all video support, which is like Dom. If that is the case, you will still need another audio interface with it. It looks like a hyped up version of Dom's unit. Personally, I don't see a use for that many video inputs.

Oops... You're right, misunderstood your statement Yep, I'll need a blitzsafe or some audio adapter it looks like.

I don't NEED all those video inputs but:

1) DVD
2) Ipod VIDEO
3) Ps2 under seat
4) TV Tuner

They're all full, so...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Dat,
One last question...

I have a 2006.
Given the Blitzsafe is known to have issues in a 2006, the only known good aux source is the PIE X3.

I don;t need 3 aux inputs, as the AVElectronics unit will do all my A/V switching for me, can I use this one:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon03pcson.html

PIE-HON3 PCSON?

The fine print is confucsing, becasue it works just like the X3, but it says it won;t work with XM... curious.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

so on making the navigation work with a dvd player, "doms unit" only does video, not audio?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Safety Car

Kennedy, if you have navigation, the page says to use HON03-F/MM instead of the HON03/PC-SON (which is also not compatible with the TL according to the site). I'm not sure if that will work with the AVElectronics. I think thats just the Y-adaptor to keep XM.

This is from the page:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This device is NOT a stand-alone device. It must be used in conjunction with an auxiliary input converter or iPOD interface.

So it seems to me that you will still need an audio interface. Looks like the AVElectronics will allow you to switch between multiple inputs (but selecting just one) to output to multiple outputs. Good if you plan on having monitors in the headrests, but overkill if you just want video in the Nav screen. You can call them to find out for sure.

I just ordered PIE X3 from myradiostore.com for $80. No tax for me and I added another small item to the order to get free shipping! Ground shipping takes a week from NY to CA.

6pdtlinKC, Dom's unit will only provide 2 video inputs: by default, 1 automatically switched when car placed in reverse the other manually controlled with a provided switch. Search for "TVandNav2Go" or "Dom*" for more details.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Safety Car

Almost forgot, I saw this at Fry's Electronics today.

1 video input, 2 video output $50

They also have a 1 video input, 4 video output for a little more.

But thats still just video, no audio.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:25 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Kennedy, if you have navigation, the page says to use HON03-F/MM instead of the HON03/PC-SON (which is also not compatible with the TL according to the site). I'm not sure if that will work with the AVElectronics. I think thats just the Y-adaptor to keep XM.

This is from the page:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This device is NOT a stand-alone device. It must be used in conjunction with an auxiliary input converter or iPOD interface.

So it seems to me that you will still need an audio interface. Looks like the AVElectronics will allow you to switch between multiple inputs (but selecting just one) to output to multiple outputs. Good if you plan on having monitors in the headrests, but overkill if you just want video in the Nav screen. You can call them to find out for sure.

I just ordered PIE X3 from myradiostore.com for $80. No tax for me and I added another small item to the order to get free shipping! Ground shipping takes a week from NY to CA.

6pdtlinKC, Dom's unit will only provide 2 video inputs: by default, 1 automatically switched when car placed in reverse the other manually controlled with a provided switch. Search for "TVandNav2Go" or "Dom*" for more details.
Ugh...
The HON3 FM is merely a Y cable. That's whay it seems like the HON3 PCSON would work. Remeber, all we;re tring to make work is the audio interfact INPUT by using the CS Changer... None of these units are stand alone, thay all add the abilit to have another way to add a device.

If the X3 works, where can I find the "X1". I don't need 3 inputs becasue all the switching will be handles by the monster...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

If the X3 works, where can I find the "X1". I don't need 3 inputs becasue all the switching will be handles by the monster...
I was asking the same thing a few months back. The Blitzsafe is the one with 1 aux-in, but unfortunately, it doesn't work correctly yet.

Maybe you can browse the web for another solution? I found that the USA Spec has a DF-HON that is just auxiliary, but it doesn't work in the TL. Its an old unit designed for older cars. Maybe browse the PIE site? I didn't see anything the last time I checked.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

xtin, its a firmware issue. I don't remember the exact problems but there have been numerous posts about Blitzsafe/USA Spec malfunctioning with the '06 TL. Both companies know about the issue and claim they will have updates soon. If you look at most online stores that sell these, they will list the '04-'05 TL as being compatible (not the '06).

The Blitzsafe with the NEWEST upgrades DOES work. There is no reason it would work with an 05 but not 06. Its exactly the same hardware

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv2.html
Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what issues does the Blitzsafe have? Mines working great!
xtin, is yours the XM pass through or no? I just got mine like a week ago and installed it in my 05 TL, no worky!! But I called Blitzsafe to find out what is going on. The said they knew of the issue and they where working on it. The problem is in the new firmware the just added. When they worked out the bug in it for the MDX, they forgot about the Bluetooth in the TL. CONFLICT!!! It doesn't like it. There overall goal was to make the adapter more universal, but they are creating more problems doing so. I am currently waiting on the new eeprom to put in so it will work.

Just to help out. It has nothing to do with the fact his car is a 06. They tell you its not compatible because it hasn't been tested on it. But, from my reading, I think the 06 does have a different software version vs the prior years. So it may not be compatible!! Who really knows, oh wait, the Engineers know!!! But they wont tell us.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
xtin, is yours the XM pass through or no? I just got mine like a week ago and installed it in my 05 TL, no worky!! But I called Blitzsafe to find out what is going on. The said they knew of the issue and they where working on it. The problem is in the new firmware the just added. When they worked out the bug in it for the MDX, they forgot about the Bluetooth in the TL. CONFLICT!!! It doesn't like it. There overall goal was to make the adapter more universal, but they are creating more problems doing so. I am currently waiting on the new eeprom to put in so it will work.

Just to help out. It has nothing to do with the fact his car is a 06. They tell you its not compatible because it hasn't been tested on it. But, from my reading, I think the 06 does have a different software version vs the prior years. So it may not be compatible!! Who really knows, oh wait, the Engineers know!!! But they wont tell us.
See above link, thats the one I have. Its the newest newest version (and cheaper than Ive seen anywhere else) It works perfectly and sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH better than FM modulator hands down

XM works perfectly too. Ive also got the DVD player/backup camera.

It works with the 06 as well. The guy who installed mine has an 06 and it works flawlessly
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Ryan Christopher

I got mine this past week, the firmware had just been updated in the units. When I go to CH-C it shows up, but no sound comes out. I tried three different sources on it as well. I am not a novice at this, I have been installing professionally for 8 years, so I was stumped why it didn't work. I did the install on Sunday, so I couldn't call them then. Also, there forums suck, so that was no help. Do you use your Bluetooth? Mine syncs up everytime I get in the car.

As for the problem, I am going off of what Blitzsafe had to say about the problem. As I spent 10 minutes on the phone with them. You are lucky, yours is working, but the units are still a little buggy! I to can't stand FM Mod, that is why I got the unit, not to mention I like being able to go to it as a source on the screen.

Jason
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Ryan Christopher

The Blitzsafe with the NEWEST upgrades DOES work. There is no reason it would work with an 05 but not 06. Its exactly the same hardware

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv2.html
If you look at the link it does not list TL

# Compatibility Information: Works with or without factory XM, and keeps your XM functional.
# Works with either non-navigation or navigation equipped 2003-2006 Honda Accord and Element, 2005-2006 CR-V, 2006 Ridgeline and Pilot, all with or without the 6 disc in-dash CD changer.
# Works with either non-navigation or navigation equipped 2005-2006 Acura MDX, 2004-2006 Acura RSX (except Type-S) and 2004-2006 Acura TSX.
# NOT compatible with the 2004-2006 S2000
# Plugs into the rear of the factory radio.
This is straight from the link you gave above.

Jason
Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

If you look at the link it does not list TL

This is straight from the link you gave above.

Jason
It works for all 2003-2006 Acuras. It works, I promise. leedogg can testify!

Call logjam and ask
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Ryan Christopher

Call logjam and ask
I know, it works on some, but there are still some issues out there, the main one being the Bluetooth right now. The put no protocal in the firmware to handle it. If you do not have a Bluetooth phone synced with it, it is not a problem. I do, so therefore I have a problem. It is being worked out by Blitzsafe and should be functional within a week(so they say). Believe me, I can't wait for it to work, I am all for the adapter, but there are issues, just because yours works, does not mean that everyone elses will.

They have a problem, they admit to the problem and are working on the problem. That is the only point. As for the 06, give it time for them to approve it for use in the 06 if you are worried about it. On paper though, it should work, once they get the issue fixed.

Jason
Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Call logjam and ask
Christen,
Please review the Blitzsafe application guide...

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_appgu...tion_Guide.pdf

You'll note, no model 3G TL is listed as being supported right now. I called and asked, and confirmed many 3G TL's are having problems. It seems the device conflicts the the HFL, or gets no sound on SOME CARS, but there no consistency
Again, I'm glad yours is working out, but the current Blitzsafe unit is NOT spec'd for our cars, is not supported by Blitzsafe, and is known to be buggy in some TL's.

Here's some posts of TLer's having problems:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=blitzsafe

Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I know, it works on some, but there are still some issues out there, the main one being the Bluetooth right now. The put no protocal in the firmware to handle it. If you do not have a Bluetooth phone synced with it, it is not a problem. I do, so therefore I have a problem. It is being worked out by Blitzsafe and should be functional within a week(so they say). Believe me, I can't wait for it to work, I am all for the adapter, but there are issues, just because yours works, does not mean that everyone elses will.

They have a problem, they admit to the problem and are working on the problem. That is the only point. As for the 06, give it time for them to approve it for use in the 06 if you are worried about it. On paper though, it should work, once they get the issue fixed.

Jason
I use it with my Treo 650. Bluetooth is flawless too
Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Christen,
Please review the Blitzsafe application guide...

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_appgu...tion_Guide.pdf

You'll note, no model 3G TL is listed as being supported right now. I called and asked, and confirmed many 3G TL's are having problems. It seems the device conflicts the the HFL, or gets no sound on SOME CARS, but there no consistency
Again, I'm glad yours is working out, but the current Blitzsafe unit is NOT spec'd for our cars, is not supported by Blitzsafe, and is known to be buggy in some TL's.

Here's some posts of TLer's having problems:

Thats great but I was just saying mine works fine and the 06 I saw works perfect too
Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

It's a gamble at this point. It may work for the next guy, or it may not.
I'm about willing to try it out though.

The only verified working PIE unit is the PIE X3. I don't need nor want 3 aux ports with the AVElectronics beast when I only need 1...

and the PIE unit is XM "pass through", thus you'll still see XM text scrolling on your upper digital display even when your in AUX mode watching DVD.

I really just want a functioning CD-C AUX port... I still can't believe how difficult this is.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

It's a gamble at this point. It may work for the next guy, or it may not.
I'm about willing to try it out though.

The only verified working PIE unit is the PIE X3. I don't need nor want 3 aux ports with the AVElectronics beast when I only need 1...

and the PIE unit is XM "pass through", thus you'll still see XM text scrolling on your upper digital display even when your in AUX mode watching DVD.

I really just want a functioning CD-C AUX port... I still can't believe how difficult this is.
No scrolling text for me (see pics) when Im playing DVDs

Why dont you buy the Blitzsafe and if it doesnt work, return it?

FM Mod sound SUCKS, I would hate to be stuck with that

I also got an additonal AUX input for Ipod etc with my DVD player installed
Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

No scrolling text for me (see pics) when Im playing DVDs

Why dont you buy the Blitzsafe and if it doesnt work, return it?

FM Mod sound SUCKS, I would hate to be stuck with that

I also got an additonal AUX input for Ipod etc with my DVD player installed
Correct... The Blitzsafe emulates the CD-Changer, just like musiclink. The PIE X3 is an XM audio in interrupt... It hijacks the signal of the XM unit. If you were to use ONLY an audio source with X3 (say Ipod), you'd see scrolling XM text even though you we're listening to the IPOD output. I just realized this in my solution searching... So... I really want the Blitz unit.

Trutch be known xtin, I'm being lazy. After spending virtually an entire Saturday installing the musiclink, I'm not looking forward to tearing the dash apart again. Last time I scratched the aluminum garnish and my shiftknob... Not cheap replacements.
When I go throught the trouble of installing this thing again, I most certainly don't want to have to remove it to update it (if it doesn't work).

Where'd you get your Blitzsafe so cheap?
Who's the guy with the 2006 that it's working on again?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Has anyone looked at this thing... It's the friggin' bomb. I'm dumping my Dom's unit right now... anyone interested in my NIB Dom's unit?

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm

- 3 camera inputs (1 automatic, 2 Video) - after speaking with the tech, he said run a spliiter off the camer so you can have th eautomatic reverse camera, or turn it on by tuning to the input AT WILL.
- 1 S-video A/V input
- 2 composite A/V inputs
- built in TV Tuner (need a $40 antenna)
- 3 video OUTPUTS to headrests and such
- PNP to Acura
- RF (no line of sight required) controlled unit, no toggle switches required!

$600 with tvtuner ($550 without)... Kinda steep, but when you add up the costs of a USA SPEC, a DOM's PNP unit, and such it's almost the same price... plus you get all these other features and expandability. Talk about scalable.

Looks like my plan has changed again.
Holy crap I'm pumped up for this thing.
When they say it's PNP with our TLs do they just mean the video? Or audio as well? This would be a total solution if it would integrate the video and audio. If that was the case I'd LOVE to pair this up with the Valor iLink . If only the iLink had an RF remote instead of a damn infared.

Anyone else have any info on this?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
When they say it's PNP with our TLs do they just mean the video? Or audio as well? This would be a total solution if it would integrate the video and audio. If that was the case I'd LOVE to pair this up with the Valor iLink . If only the iLink had an RF remote instead of a damn infared.

Anyone else have any info on this?
It's PNP for videeo. I called an asked about the audio, and the soution provided doesn't cost more, but isn't clean either. You cut the 4 audio wires comming out of the XM box in the trunk and splice RCA cables into each end. One end is an input, one end is an otput.

I'll wait for blitzsafe.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

It's PNP for videeo. I called an asked about the audio, and the soution provided doesn't cost more, but isn't clean either. You cut the 4 audio wires comming out of the XM box in the trunk and splice RCA cables into each end. One end is an input, one end is an otput.

I'll wait for blitzsafe.
Just to clarify... This is exactly wat the PIE X3 unit does as well, just in a cleaner way.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Correct... The Blitzsafe emulates the CD-Changer, just like musiclink. The PIE X3 is an XM audio in interrupt... It hijacks the signal of the XM unit. If you were to use ONLY an audio source with X3 (say Ipod), you'd see scrolling XM text even though you we're listening to the IPOD output. I just realized this in my solution searching... So... I really want the Blitz unit.

Trutch be known xtin, I'm being lazy. After spending virtually an entire Saturday installing the musiclink, I'm not looking forward to tearing the dash apart again. Last time I scratched the aluminum garnish and my shiftknob... Not cheap replacements.
When I go throught the trouble of installing this thing again, I most certainly don't want to have to remove it to update it (if it doesn't work).

Where'd you get your Blitzsafe so cheap?
Who's the guy with the 2006 that it's working on again?
www.logjam.com I think it was 80 bucks but I had to pay for overnight shipping so it was 110 or so

The guy who did my headlights has an 06 and it works flawlessly. Maybe he just knows a trick in installation because he did my 05 and again, works great.

ANyone coming to the DC Metro BBQ can check mine out for sound/DVD/Camera