Peripheral PXAMG, iphone, navi and new .36E firmware issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Peripheral PXAMG, iphone, navi and new .36E firmware issues?

Hey guys,

I'll be switching out to the new iphone once it comes out and just wondering whose running it fine with no problems on the new .36E firware?

I've had the PXAMG installed in my car since last year, still running .26 firmware. I was reading the other thread and noticed that some people have had issues when they updated to .36E.

Can anyone else chime in if they have had problems with the new software?

I'm an advocate of the saying "if it Ain't broken, don't fix it". I have only 1 peeve with my pxamg so far and its that the song titles/artists don't update always, usually it lags or gets stuck. Hoping new firmware update will fix it, but I rather keep the old firmware and deal with the lag then get a new firmware that cuases me problems.

Currently running it on 2005 TL with Navi.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '06 Nav. An iphone 3G, latest software, jailbroken. .36E software on the isimple. Everything works great no issues at all. I hope you got the 5V cable with the isimple because the included won't charge the newest iphone and nanos.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
NTMD8

Yea, I am goign to order the new charging cable and install it, thanks for the response.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are some issues with the .36e firmware in that the artist is displayed as IPOD instead of the artist. Sometimes it updates properly or gets stuck on one of the previous ones. Peripheral has been notified of the bug but nothing has been done yet. It seem some people have no problems and others do. It happens to me both with an 80GB iPod Classic and my iPhone 3G.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
NTMD8

Hmm... I have the same issue now with the .26 firmware. I appreciate the comments so far , I'm mostly worried about 3G compatibility.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I've installed more than 40 of these in 3rd gen TL's and not seen any issues with .36E firmware. I do notice that if the iPod has an artist name that is missing or has unrecognizable characters that it will display IPOD, weird characters or nothing at all.

A lot of "flaws" that people are pointing out are due to the way some music is saved on the iPod. When all of the character fields and subject lines are in perfect format the Peripheral PXAMG has no problem displaying the info. When this stuff is less than perfect the characters and info displayed will reflect that.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ He forgot to mention that he sells the 3G cable that will allow your 3G iPhone to charge while playing
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Some of us have gone through several versions of this firmware and have had no problems with the display until installing .36e. I don't have an explanation for why some people are seeing it and others aren't but don't tell me that the problem is with my iPod or the way I have files saved. These are the same iPods/iPhone that I have been using since Jan when I started on firmware .26. I NEVER EVER had an artist display issue until the .36e firmware.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AMIC
Some of us have gone through several versions of this firmware and have had no problems with the display until installing .36e. I don't have an explanation for why some people are seeing it and others aren't but don't tell me that the problem is with my iPod or the way I have files saved. These are the same iPods/iPhone that I have been using since Jan when I started on firmware .26. I NEVER EVER had an artist display issue until the .36e firmware.
No need for angst sir. I was not accusing you of grand conspiracy with intent to obstruct. I was just stating my experience. I'll converse with my trusty tech at Peripheral and see if we can't find a solution.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by uncald4
No need for angst sir. I was not accusing you of grand conspiracy with intent to obstruct. I was just stating my experience. I'll converse with my trusty tech at Peripheral and see if we can't find a solution.
I'm not a sir, and these issues have really gotten me very frustrated. They fix one problem only to break something that was working. I seem to have initial contact with the vendor and then nothing happens after that. I want these issues fixed because when this product works, it works great and I'd love to recommend it to anyone who wants iPod connectivity, but at this time I really can't.

Sorry, I also work in IT, thus the angst. People constantly tell me it's my network that's the problem when 90% of the time it's their crappy code. Just because I made a small change on the network doesn't mean it's my fault .
Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

I too am running .36e and have some weird issues. First let me state that ALL of my MP3 files are tagged perfectly as I ripped them myself and I make 100% sure they are right so that all of my tools can catalog them correctly. What I have noticed is weird display for artist at times but play that same song again and it's displayed right, that's a bug in my thinking. I have also noticed that sometimes (not often) the system will move to the next song fine BUT the display never updates from the previous song. I can't force that to happen but it does happen enough to know that it's not imagined.

Lastly, (and this is not a bug) I hate the fact that the soft keys are not labeled and we must remember that preset #6 is used for finding songs/artists. I know that this is a universal unit but frankly that should be something that is possible.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
7th Gear

There are some issues with the .36e firmware in that the artist is displayed as IPOD instead of the artist. Sometimes it updates properly or gets stuck on one of the previous ones. Peripheral has been notified of the bug but nothing has been done yet. It seem some people have no problems and others do. It happens to me both with an 80GB iPod Classic and my iPhone 3G.
I have this same issue after upgrading. I also have an issue that the upper display won't show the AR AL PL info when I'm trying to switch songs or artists. It displays it on the nav screen but not on the upper screen. Before the update everything was fine.

I also bought a 5v cable and had to return it after it stopped charging my iPhone 3G.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by FrogFighter
I have this same issue after upgrading. I also have an issue that the upper display won't show the AR AL PL info when I'm trying to switch songs or artists. It displays it on the nav screen but not on the upper screen. Before the update everything was fine.

I also bought a 5v cable and had to return it after it stopped charging my iPhone 3G.
I haven't heard anything more from Peripheral about the issue so I guess we sit and wait for the next firmware upgrade to see if it fixes it and to see what else it can break.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

I haven't heard anything more from Peripheral about the issue so I guess we sit and wait for the next firmware upgrade to see if it fixes it and to see what else it can break.
Yeah it does seem like they are a little slow on a response
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
NTMD8

FYI, I installed the .36e firmware and new ipod cable this past weekend. Will let you guys know if I encounter any problems, but so far nothing yet.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Encountered another weird problem this weekend. I know that as soon as you plug your iPod in, the iSimple unit turns on the repeat function, but this time instead of just the repeat at the end of the playlist or album, it turned on repeat every song. So as soon as one song finished it would immediately start playing it again. I would have to hit the skip button to move to the next song. Turning off repeat on the iPod had no affect at all. I reset the unit and it is now back to "normal". Still having the artist display issue though.

Ah!! I wish they would come out with some updated firmware soon!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jimsta
FYI, I installed the .36e firmware and new ipod cable this past weekend. Will let you guys know if I encounter any problems, but so far nothing yet.

how do you update the firmwarE?
I see the mini-usb port but, even with ignition switch on and connecting the USB cable, doesnt do anything.

I sent an email to peripheral but they are SOO SSSLLLOOOOWWW in responding.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
how do you update the firmwarE?
I see the mini-usb port but, even with ignition switch on and connecting the USB cable, doesnt do anything.

I sent an email to peripheral but they are SOO SSSLLLOOOOWWW in responding.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/
Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

maybe I need to be a bit more clear.

I followed the steps on their website.
I've connected device to my laptop even after installing the USB drivers and still cannot connect to this thing. I've tried it with the car off / on and leaving the ignition on , and also with radio on /off.
Still no go.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
maybe I need to be a bit more clear.

I followed the steps on their website.
I've connected device to my laptop even after installing the USB drivers and still cannot connect to this thing. I've tried it with the car off / on and leaving the ignition on , and also with radio on /off.
Still no go.

Am I missing something?
Are you removing the unit from the car when you try to do the update? You need to disconnect all cables, flip the dip switches to whatever position it says (can't remember if it is up or down), connect it to your laptop, install the firmware, flip the dip switches back, reconnect all of the cables then you have to turn the car to the accessory position, wait 3 minutes, then turn the car to on and connect your iPod. Change to a different input then back to XM, then turn the knob until it says iPod and you should be good to go.

If you are still having issues you need to explain to us the step by step process that you have taken and where it is failing. When you say you can't connect, are you saying you cannot get your computer to recognize the device to even do the firmware update, or do you mean that after you have updated, you cannot get your iPod to be recognized by the device?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm,...interesting how these steps arent mentioned on their page.

I do have everything connected.
I then plug in the cable and attempt to let laptop detect it.
Never detects it.

if adapter is disconnected how do you get 12v to power it on for the update? This is based on P.E instructions.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Instructor

er. if the box has a sticker that is like...higher than 2 then you just need it plugged into the usb on your laptop. i updated my firmware and it took maybe 5-10 minutes for the thing to update.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
NTMD8

The USB cable will feed it power, and make sure to flip the switches.

I did this and it was super easy, remvoed box from car, took it to my PC, plugged it in, installed the drivers. etc.

So far no problems with my update, things are running fairly smoothly with no issues besides lag on the artist name.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

The firmware update instructions on the website are merely for upgrading the firmware. There are separate installation instructions that should have come with your unit that explain how to do the install. This is where it tells you about the accessory position and the 3 minute wait and how to access and control the unit.